• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Awesome. I'll take a look tomorrow. I'm always afraid that being a newbie I'm going to screw myself with no knowledge. For instance, at the gameshop tonight they tried selling me a pair of cutters or whatever for my plastic sprues for $20, and a friend nudged me and told me that was a stupid price and I could get cheaper elsewhere. If he didn't, I was about to cough it up.

Awesome. I'll take a look tomorrow. I'm always afraid that being a newbie I'm going to screw myself with no knowledge. For instance, at the gameshop tonight they tried selling me a pair of cutters or whatever for my plastic sprues for $20, and a friend nudged me and told me that was a stupid price and I could get cheaper elsewhere. If he didn't, I was about to cough it up.

Clippers
Files (for removing mould lines)
Hobby knives
Tools for sculpting
Paint brushes
Paint palettes/wet palettes
Primer spray
Super glue
Plastic glue
Lots of basing materials like sand and rocks, fake snow etc

All those and more I've probably forgotten can be purchased much more cheaply elsewhere. Especially compared to Games Workshop prices.

Didn't get my 8th edition stuff. So much about supporting the local store. No 8th ed. stuff arrived and was told no idea when I asked. And I did preorder even when I would have gotten it way cheaper somewhere else.

cntr

Banned
True, but until they invented astropathy, they must have had one heck of a deep space network going on, even for in system communications. Let alone whatever type of fleet communications they had going on.
I always thought they did have astropathy, but they used machines to do it instead of psykers. Hmm.

I still think it's hilarious how much the mechinacus shoots itself in the foot tech wise. They seem to only be able to create new things when they discover STC fragments, and have little in the way of reverse engineering, even when the tech is human tech. Even if said tech was post crusade.

It's even worse when you consider alien tech. I imagine every problem with imperial plasma weapons could be solve by just examining a tau plasma weapon, and figuring out what the human version is missing. I'd even wager they did exactly that, but won't fix the problem less they discover a dark age plasma weapon with that part actually fixed, or a fragment with plans for that part, etc.
Definitely. That's the big irony of the Imperium, they'd win if they got their shit together, but they won't, so.

Didn't get my 8th edition stuff. So much about supporting the local store. No 8th ed. stuff arrived and was told no idea when I asked. And I did preorder even when I would have gotten it way cheaper somewhere else.

Well this makes me a bit nervous! Now that I think about it, my local store frequently has White Dwarf delayed for no reason by weeks at a time...

I think I'll make a point to be there when the doors open.

Well this makes me a bit nervous! Now that I think about it, my local store frequently has White Dwarf delayed for no reason by weeks at a time...

I think I'll make a point to be there when the doors open.

To be honest I don't even know if he had placed the order. Seems like the guy has lost interest.

I mean, new edition and he didn't even know when he'd get the stuff. Pretty sure he didn't even know this was release day.

pZTvFSJ.jpg

Nurgle lord painted now :D So fun, so fun. I love these Death Guard. Can't wait for Morty!!

Xis

So I was thinking, now that Roboute is back, a lot of mysteries could be solved by simply asking him.

For example: nobody knows who all of the Ultramarines second founding chapters are. Roboute does! Heck, he probably knows all of the second founding chapters for all of the Legions.

He almost certainly knows all about the missing II and XI legions as well, but may be unwilling to share that info.

Tacitus_

He almost certainly knows all about the missing II and XI legions as well, but may be unwilling to share that info.

Magnus and Lorgar were unwilling to discuss that between themselves in a private setting. Rowbooty ain't saying anything on that matter.

cntr

Banned
In a meta sense, the missing legions exist as a way for people to make up their own primarch and legion and insert them into the setting without too much effort. So unless GW changes their mind about that, we'll never know anything certain about them.

Nurgle lord painted now :D So fun, so fun. I love these Death Guard. Can't wait for Morty!!
Holy shit, you are amazing.

Clippers
Files (for removing mould lines)
Hobby knives
Tools for sculpting
Paint brushes
Paint palettes/wet palettes
Primer spray
Super glue
Plastic glue
Lots of basing materials like sand and rocks, fake snow etc

All those and more I've probably forgotten can be purchased much more cheaply elsewhere. Especially compared to Games Workshop prices.
Thank you :)

Fou-Lu

My best friend will be coming in on a plane in a couple hours and be visiting for 10 days. We're thinking of buying and splitting the 8th edition starter set while he is here. We'll assemble the minis, play some games, maybe get some painting in. The only issue is deciding who gets Primaris and who gets Death Guard.

Talking of starters, GW should do a deal where you get two start collecting boxes and a rulebook for a discount as an alternate starting route for two players.

I ended up finding no one to take my plague guys for their primaris marines, but now that I'm home with them, I'm pretty happy I kept them. They are...just really cool looking.

So for the Fetid Blight Drone, I decided to do a 'customization' on it. Basically, I didn't wanna do it the regular way.

So I present to you....The Fetid Gunship

I just...flipped it over, drilled a hole near the cables for one of the clear pillars, the shorter pillar put it where the 3rd propellers go. I plan on, after painting it, to use Green stuff to cover up the see-through stands in the shape of bile, like a bunch of gunk being ejected from the bottom of the ship. Basically, like it's being lifted from the ground by ejecting bile on the ground. I could also put bits and pieces of other faction miniatures in it as body parts..

So for the Fetid Blight Drone, I decided to do a 'customization' on it. Basically, I didn't wanna do it the regular way.

I just...flipped it over, drilled a hole near the cables for one of the clear pillars, the shorter pillar put it where the 3rd propellers go. I plan on, after painting it, to use Green stuff to cover up the see-through stands in the shape of bile, like a bunch of gunk being ejected from the bottom of the ship. Basically, like it's being lifted from the ground by ejecting bile on the ground. I could also put bits and pieces of other faction miniatures in it as body parts..

That's cool!

Watching painting videos on GW channel as recommended while I assemble my last few guys, and noticed that units are being painted already attached to their bases. Personally, I was going to hold off attaching my units to their base until they were all painted so I didn't get paint on my base, or is there any reason I should be attaching them prior?

That's awesome. I just put mine together last night. Now he looks boring...lol

Xis

Watching painting videos on GW channel as recommended while I assemble my last few guys, and noticed that units are being painted already attached to their bases. Personally, I was going to hold off attaching my units to their base until they were all painted so I didn't get paint on my base, or is there any reason I should be attaching them prior?

You are going to have to pick your guys up as you paint them. If they are attached to a base you can pick them up by the base so you don't mess up the paint on the minis. There are other options; some pin their guys to wine corks and such while they paint them.

You are going to have to pick your guys up as you paint them. If they are attached to a base you can pick them up by the base so you don't mess up the paint on the minis. There are other options; some pin their guys to wine corks and such while they paint them.
Ah. That makes sense. I just realized in the GW video that he is using double-sided tape to hold the units onto a stick when he sprays primer on, and I bet the base helps hold them as well. At least better than taping their feet.

Nazo

Ah. That makes sense. I just realized in the GW video that he is using double-sided tape to hold the units onto a stick when he sprays primer on, and I bet the base helps hold them as well. At least better than taping their feet.

I personally like to use an old pill bottle with some double sided tape on the cap to hold my minis while I paint. I find its a lot less awkward to hold than a stick.

Also, if you haven't try and make yourself a wet pallet. It makes painting 200% easier. I seriously cannot recommend using one highly enough. Here's a tutorial on how to make one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM&t=517s

8th edition haul:

IMG_9108.jpg

I also picked up an IG squad and a Genestealer Cult squad, both for Shadow War kill teams.

Looking at the latest IG, er Astra Militarum, boxed set I couldn't help but snap a pic next to my original IG boxed set from back in the day.

Box top:
IMG_9109.jpg

Box side:
IMG_9117.jpg

Quite a difference in price vs quantity. That old set was $30 back in the day and came with 36 miniatures! The latest is 10 for the same price!

I've already played two matches with the new edition.

One was a small game (Orks vs Space Marines 1 HQ, 2 standard units and one other unit each) and one a 'big' game (Astra Militarum vs Tyranids 48 power rating total each).

Here are a few impressions:

- Rounds were fast and both games ended quickly in comparison to the 7th edition.
- The Power rating is a neat idea but it's great that they still included a traditional point system. As they have already stated in the FAQ the power rating is not really considering the options some units have in terms of weapons or abilities. They rather resemble the average power a unit can have which is misleading when using all options available.
- Not being able to ban psychic powers when you don't bring a psyker is a huge disadvantage, especially for armies that don't have a psyker (e.g. Tau).
- In general the way the psychic phase works has been changed to be less strategic but easier to perform. In addition they reduced the amount of psychic powers available to an almost ridiculously small amount.
- The weapons new armor penetration works very well. In the previous edition armor saves of 5+ or 6+ were almost always negated but now it seems that you can use your 6+ save more often than before.
- I'm personally not a fan of the fact that way more weapons deal a random amount of damage. It's way better to have a weapon deal 2 damage instead of D3 because you can plan your actions based on this more reliably. I don't want them to get rid of random damage in general but this is just too much for me personally.
- Instead I'm a huge fan of the change that makes it possible for Termagants to wound a Lemon Russ. Stalling vehicles in close combat is a viable option as well. They counter balanced this by giving vehicles and monstrous creatures an enormous amount of wounds. But it's still pretty easy to kill a Tervigon for example, simply because most weapons deal 3 or even more damage.
- It seems that they pushed weaker melee units like Hormagaunts. They can usually move a larger distance than most other units, they always hit first after they charged and they can wound everything that comes in their way. The FAQ even states that you can charge an enemy unit that isn't visible to your unit, neglecting their overwatch in return.
- Being able to shoot different units with one of your units is a great addition and makes it more worthwhile to put something like a rocket launcher into your tactical Space Marine squad.
- Reducing the penalty for moving units equipped with heavy weapons is a blessing. Finally the days are gone where you didn't want to move your Scouts or Devastator Squad because they would only hit at a 6in the next shooting phase.
- Last but not least having units with a good morale is more important than ever since you have to take a morale test after having just one casualty which is also modified to be harder to pass.

All in all I liked what I played so far. My biggest complaint is that there are a lot of things from the old edition where you don't know how it works now and you don't find an answer in the rules. Maybe I'm just used to the in-depth rules of the seventh edition and haven't realized that this particular rule just doesn't apply anymore. One example would be how you determine the range of weapons with vehicles. I'm used to measure from the weapon itself but the rules of the 8th edition doesn't explicate this. This is a huge step down from it's former realistic approach and has me somewhat worried.

manfestival

played a game today and beat a guy that hasnt lost in 3 months since he mathhammers everything. LONG LIVE 8TH EDITION! Fun fact, he plays chaos and heretic marines. I play Tau
drunk.gif

Rephin

Points question for 8th. I'm trying to find where the points cost for the assault launchers are (Centurions, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer, maybe more), and for the life of me I can't find it in Index: Imperium 1. Anyone know which page it might be on if it's even in the book?

Ohnonono

Boxed set should be here in the next couple days. Ordered an extra unit of the new plague marines off ebay so I can field something with command points if I want to. Already picked up my chaos book.

Also at my local store found a great group of guys that were super helpful and watched a game where they took the time to explain everything they did to me. The hooks are in. I am doomed.

Boxed set should be here in the next couple days. Ordered an extra unit of the new plague marines off ebay so I can field something with command points if I want to. Already picked up my chaos book.

Also at my local store found a great group of guys that were super helpful and watched a game where they took the time to explain everything they did to me. The hooks are in. I am doomed.

Welcome aboard! The plague marines are a great choice. The ones in the boxset are incredibly fun to build and look at!

I think I saw here that Gabriel Angelos is finally getting a unit? And there is a new Dreadnought? Are those out already with the launch of 8th, or do they come at a later time?

manfestival

Points question for 8th. I'm trying to find where the points cost for the assault launchers are (Centurions, Ironclad Dreadnoughts, Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer, maybe more), and for the life of me I can't find it in Index: Imperium 1. Anyone know which page it might be on if it's even in the book?
All point values are in the back of the book. If you want easy management of points then use battlescribe. It adds all of that for you

Rephin

All point values are in the back of the book. If you want easy management of points then use battlescribe. It adds all of that for you
I know where the points values are listed, but assault launchers specifically aren't there and I can't find them, which is why I'm asking about it.

mlclmtckr

Banned
5WVJzuXr.jpg

All assembled, ready to prime! This is for sure the most Warhammer I've ever owned. I feel like the Chaos side is kind of beyond my ability as a painter, so I'm going to do the Primaris first to warm up, so to speak.

Edit - I have no idea why the image won't embed :(

Top Bottom