• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

mlclmtckr

Banned
Thanks!

I also noticed that the little pamphlet that has the Death Guard datasheets also has this colour guide to eleven different Vectoriums, which I guess are canon alternate colour schemes. There's no <vectorium> faction keyword, so these are just for fluff I think, but they have hilariously over the top names*. I couldn't find anything about this stuff online but it seems cool.

gIp8dYW.jpg

*Pallid Hand, Fecund Ones, Putrid Choir, Apostles of Contagion, Glooming Lords, Pox Mortis, Mouldering Claw, Poxwalkers, Corpsemakers, Weeping Legion, Heralds of Despair. lol.

So, I started priming tonight! Grabbed an old board in my basement, put double-sided tape on it, and went to town. I'm not sure if I'm standing spraying too far away though, or if I am way too close, but I have sprayed a ton of and feel like I keep missing parts here and there on my guys. I've only done about 10 altogether so far, about 5 at once on the stick, but I keep getting ready to take them off tape and notice I'm missing a spot. This is probably the easiest part to not screw up, but somehow I'm managing. Feel like I'm going through my whole stupid thing of spray paint quickly.

Also, I had my stick outside drying, and a storm blew through. I ran downstairs to get my stick, but it was too late and I took a casualty. One of my dead plants kind of close to my stick had a bunch of it's dead, crumbled leaves blown onto one of my marines before he was dry. Now he is...leafy. And Leafy shall be his name, I suppose.

He does a front flip in Dawn of War 3.
Ooooh. lol. I must be silly, because I loved him in Dawn of War 3. Didn't even notice he was front-flipping all over the place.

Tacitus_

So, I started priming tonight! Grabbed an old board in my basement, put double-sided tape on it, and went to town. I'm not sure if I'm standing spraying too far away though, or if I am way too close, but I have sprayed a ton of and feel like I keep missing parts here and there on my guys. I've only done about 10 altogether so far, about 5 at once on the stick, but I keep getting ready to take them off tape and notice I'm missing a spot. This is probably the easiest part to not screw up, but somehow I'm managing. Feel like I'm going through my whole stupid thing of spray paint quickly.

You don't really need that much spray. I fucked up a bunch of models by priming them too heavily and some of the details, like cable bundles, got all gunked up.

Mik2121

So... thinking about doing something fancy with my Tau. Painting them with the Age of Sigmar Orc's theme:

Do you guys think it might look too silly?

Yellow armor and weapon, bone brown under armor, and greyish blue for the detail color (Shas'ui shoulder pad, secondary color for ships, etc..). This with normal metallic for the more mechanical stuff and bronze (or perhaps metal again?) for the large bolts on the weapons and other locations. I may give them a stronger wash pass than the Orcs, it's just that I don't wanna go with the official ones and everybody has done red or dark grey Tau too, so I want something new.

Newcomer here, just bought the 8th rule book.

Seems like a real time and money sink. Gotta read all these stuff in the book and Lexicanum before choosing a faction.

Yellow armor and weapon, bone brown under armor, and greyish blue for the detail color (Shas'ui shoulder pad, secondary color for ships, etc..). This with normal metallic for the more mechanical stuff and bronze (or perhaps metal again?) for the large bolts on the weapons and other locations. I may give them a stronger wash pass than the Orcs, it's just that I don't wanna go with the official ones and everybody has done red or dark grey Tau too, so I want something new.

I think that will look good. You'll certainly be very striking and yellow is a colour that traditionally represents energy so a tech heavy race like the Tau would suit it. The brown is an interesting combo but I think should look good, although I would lean more into the warm browns with perhaps a hint of reddish hue in there. Grey blue should make a good detail colour but be careful with using too much, the contrast between yellow and blue is so great it might end up dominating the model if there is too much blue present (unless you want that of course). Bronze is a nice warm metal that should sit nicely with the bright yellow, I would certainly go with that. The only other thing I would say is yellow is a bastard of a colour, bright yellow is lovely but dingy dull yellow is a horrible colour that only suits infected or decay inspired units (coughNurglecough). Make sure you start with a nice white primer surface to ensure you get the colour you want then anything swampy looking. Good luck, hope they turn out grand.

Mikeside

Seems like a real time and money sink. Gotta read all these stuff in the book and Lexicanum before choosing a faction.

it's less of a moneysink than it's ever been in the past, to be fair!

my advice would be to buy some cheap horribly painted figures from eBay - don't worry about having an HQ, troops etc etc at first, just a squad of regular soldiers each & see if you like it.

You can even use them as different factions each match so you know what you'll wanna buy if you decide to go for an army!

manfestival

most convenient race: chaos
why? because there is chaos in age of sigmar, 8th edition, and horus heresy.

However I would always strong recommend to go with the race you have a highest affinity for. Seems like all the races are good so far

mlclmtckr

Banned

I'd also recommend just going to the official Games Workshop website and going through the various armies in the webstore (using the filters on the left side.) That way you can see all the models, divided by faction, painted really really nicely.

Thanks for all the tips. I don't really worry about the money side since I got all the tools for being one who love plastic models. Anyway, this is not the first priority right now as I haven't yet chosen a faction.

From my superficial knowledge about the factions from a few online article, the faction I like most is Adeptus Mechanicus (what a cool name). I am still open to all the others though as I want to know more about their backstory before making the decision. I will keep on reading and update you my thoughts later. Thanks!

Leunam

Aww yeah Ad Mech. You want people-bots who are petty as hell and look stylish while doing it, they're your go to. Imperial factions all have their struggles with each other (Space Wolves and Inquisition, Blood Angels and Inquisition, Steel Legion and Inquisition, there's a pattern here...) but Ad Mech dudes really go at it out of jealousy and a burning desire to take credit for their discoveries to elevate themselves further above the other Forge Worlds. They'll sometimes even go as far as sabotage and fully abandoning the battle in front of them in order to get ahead.

Their units are in a good place I think. The Skitarii and Mechanicus have been merged into one set of rules for the time being whereas before they were in separate books. They only have three HQ options but one of them is Belisarius Cawl, who is a beast on his own. There's lots of anti-tank in the army but seemingly not a whole lot of anti-horde. Onager Dunecrawlers are great platforms for several different weapons types, and I personally like the Icarus Array and Neutron Laser. Electro Priests have been improved and are now worth taking, both types filling similar roles. Vanguard and Rangers are slightly less potent than before with some changes to their standard weapons, but Rangers can still take their Transuranic Arquebus, which is a very deadly rifle good for sniping characters from a safe distance. Infiltrators are very deadly, but are susceptible if left to operate alone. They might be taken apart without backup, and since the army lacks troop transports, overall you've got a fairly slow trek across the field.

I painted up a Ryza Vanguard to test the color scheme but I think I'm going to work on it again to improve on it when I repeat it across the whole army. They're a very visually striking army even when put up against the likes of Eldar and Tau which is a big part of why I'm drawn to them.

Ohnonono

Ad Mech is very very cool. They still have some of that real old school gloom and doom weirdness to them from the old rulebooks and stuff. Also they are a pretty creepy. I listened to the audiobook Master of Mankind and the best parts really were the interactions between the guardians of Terra and the super prickly Ad Mech guys who are zealous after losing Mars. I am trying to stick to one army mainly and I love Death Guard too much to not play them. Ad Mech was super close to being the one though. Also they have recent models that look great.

Geist-

So while I wait for the non-snapfit Primaris, I decided to get a headstart on a custom chapter:
Yes, that is a color inverted Red Scorpions emblem, I want to use FW shoulder pads and vehicle doors.

I only got the bare minimum on fluff, basically they were made with the excess Red Scorpion gene-seed (I'm guessing they've been so meticulous with gene-seed collection they have an sizeable collection in Terra's vault), modified by Cawl for use in Primarines. I want to do a naval focus for them, as ship boarders and fleet commanders.

Also, I have an idea floating around my head that them and Red Scorpions hate each other because Guilliman's influence taught them to be skeptical of the Imperial Cult and the Codex Astartes. Which fluff tells me is about as wrong as you can be in the Red Scorpion's eyes.

I mostly need feedback on the color scheme.

Doul

Neo Member
Hey guys ! I'm new to this community and I'm a recent fan of warhammer 40k but only the lore. I like to read stories and to know as much as possible about 40k. You could say I'm a bit of a lore nerd even if I still have a lot to learn. I don't paint or play the wargame. I occasionally roleplay but that's it.

So I'm interested in 8th edition of course but only as far as story goes. The thing is, I am very confused about the content of the products of 8th edition. I don't know what I should buy. What do you guys advise me to buy and read if I want to know everything about the new lore ?
First I'm definitelly buying the new Guy Haley, "Dark Imperium", but if I understand correctly this book is not at all about the fall of Cadia which I want to know everything about. So are the Gathering Storm books worth it even if I'm not a player ? Is there any other product where the gathering storm events are told ?
Finally, is there a lot of fluff in the new rulebook ? Do you guys think I should get it for this reason alone ?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

Hey guys ! I'm new to this community and I'm a recent fan of warhammer 40k but only the lore. I like to read stories and to know as much as possible about 40k. You could say I'm a bit of a lore nerd even if I still have a lot to learn. I don't paint or play the wargame. I occasionally roleplay but that's it.

So I'm interested in 8th edition of course but only as far as story goes. The thing is, I am very confused about the content of the products of 8th edition. I don't know what I should buy. What do you guys advise me to buy and read if I want to know everything about the new lore ?
First I'm definitelly buying the new Guy Haley, "Dark Imperium", but if I understand correctly this book is not at all about the fall of Cadia which I want to know everything about. So are the Gathering Storm books worth it even if I'm not a player ? Is there any other product where the gathering storm events are told ?
Finally, is there a lot of fluff in the new rulebook ? Do you guys think I should get it for this reason alone ?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

There is new fluff in the rulebook, but Dark Imperium takes place 100 years, give or take, after the last Gathering Storm book.

Geist-

This book will deal with the fall of Cadia, but it's not coming out until September.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/september/cadia-stands-ebook.html
BLPROCESSED-Cadia-StandsCover.jpg

Geist-

if your going to replace cadians, then they need to be replaced with elysians

Nah, Elysians should stay separated as their own thing, they just need more support from FW. Like carapace Elysians, a Drop Commissar, or a wheeled chimera.

I don't want the Elysian aesthetic tainted by that eyesore called the Leman Russ.

Nazo

If any regiment deserves to be the poster boys over the Cadians its the Death Korps of Krieg.

They also need plastic models but I digress.

It's done. I bought a box Wraithguard.

I've been on the fence with Eldar ever since I started the hobby and thought new edition is a good place to start.

I'm going to build up a ~1000 point outrider detachment. Not quite sure what I am going to fit and with what gear, but the idea is to buy:

2 x Start Collecting: Eldar!
A box of Windriders
A box of Wraithguard (done!)

and assemble:

HQ: Farseer and Warlock on bike (pick one for 1000 points probably)
Fast: 3 x 3 winriders
Elite: Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent
Heavy: Fire Prism

Hopefully I don't come across as cheesy now in 8th lol. These are for me the rule of cool picks and in 7th this would have been prreeetty strong I suppose.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
If any regiment deserves to be the poster boys over the Cadians its the Death Korps of Krieg.

They also need plastic models but I digress.

Death Korps and Space Marine Chaplains are the two most 40k things around. I just wish they weren't forge world models :'(

Is anyone interested in the starter set Nurgle? I'm on the fence as to whether to keep them, but if someone wants to make a fair offer I'd gladly flog them.

Ohnonono

Should have my boxed set by the end of the week (don't use GW free shipping. It is REAL slow), and also a second unit of Plague Marines. Very excited to get the stuff together and start painting and playing. Does anyone know what a Blight Launcher is supposed to look like? I was thinking about doing some conversions but for the life of me I can't find a picture of a bit anywhere.

I assembling and priming all my terminators.

I have:

15 Blood Angels
10 Ultramarines
1 Deathwatch Salamander
5 Dark Angels

1 Chaplin
2 Librarians

6 Chaos
1 Nurgle

Holy shit that's a lot more than I thought I had. I still want 5 more Dark Angels and 10 Space Wolf Terminators. Fyi, all these are primarily for playing Space Hulk.

I've always been interested in a "1st & 10" army (ie: scouts & terminators). I wonder how viable such an army would be in 8th?

So while I wait for the non-snapfit Primaris, I decided to get a headstart on a custom chapter:
jYdfKzZ.jpg

Yes, that is a color inverted Red Scorpions emblem, I want to use FW shoulder pads and vehicle doors.

I only got the bare minimum on fluff, basically they were made with the excess Red Scorpion gene-seed (I'm guessing they've been so meticulous with gene-seed collection they have an sizeable collection in Terra's vault), modified by Cawl for use in Primarines. I want to do a naval focus for them, as ship boarders and fleet commanders.

Also, I have an idea floating around my head that them and Red Scorpions hate each other because Guilliman's influence taught them to be skeptical of the Imperial Cult and the Codex Astartes. Which fluff tells me is about as wrong as you can be in the Red Scorpion's eyes.

I mostly need feedback on the color scheme.

I had one other thought looking at the coloration, have you tried a neon orange for the eye lens? It would differentiate the eyes from the neon blue markings especially on the heads of the captains/sergeants/commanders

mlclmtckr

Banned
Minotaurs Intercessors WIP! They still need another wash and the bolters need cleanup and washing and highlights. But they're looking good! Anyone have any ideas for making them pop a little more?

My coyote marines are on hold since these new guys don't have changeable shoulderpads, so I decided to do all these Dark Imperium guys as Minotaurs.

Geist-

I had one other thought looking at the coloration, have you tried a neon orange for the eye lens? It would differentiate the eyes from the neon blue markings especially on the heads of the captains/sergeants/commanders
Tried orange, didn't like it. Sergeants can have different lenses from the rest though (Ultramarines give sergeants green lenses instead of red), so I tried fuchsia. I think it works.
My coyote marines are on hold since these new guys don't have changeable shoulderpads, so I decided to do all these Dark Imperium guys as Minotaurs.
This is the main reason I'm waiting for the separate kits.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The way I'd paint minotaurs is;

Balthasar Gold - Runelord Brass edge highlight - Agrax Earthshade gloss pin wash - Stormhost silver

Then I'd weather the hell out of them.

mlclmtckr

Banned
The way I'd paint minotaurs is;

Balthasar Gold - Runelord Brass edge highlight - Agrax Earthshade gloss pin wash - Stormhost silver

Then I'd weather the hell out of them.

Thanks!

That's pretty much what I'm doing, but with dry brushed Sycorax Bronze instead of Runelord Brass (I like the whiter look, it looks more like the finish has been rubbed away). I think the biggest thing is to do more than one coat of the gloss shade. Then I can edge highlight with the silver.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thanks!

That's pretty much what I'm doing, but with dry brushed Sycorax Bronze instead of Runelord Brass (I like the whiter look, it looks more like the finish has been rubbed away). I think the biggest thing is to do more than one coat of the gloss shade. Then I can edge highlight with the silver.

They look nice so far! I like the Minotaurs a lot and you are doing them justice. Once they have their bases done they'll look 10x better - it is amazing what a difference finishing the base makes. How are you doing yours?

I might put up some wip photos of my ultramarine primaris...

mlclmtckr

Banned
Once they have their bases done they'll look 10x better - it is amazing what a difference finishing the base makes. How are you doing yours?

I'm not sure yet... Something that offsets the bronze nicely. Maybe some light sand with green static grass? Or maybe I'll try to match the red details and do a Mars type thing.

Get a bottle of this
99189956006_NihilakhOxide.jpg

It's amazing for bronze/brass/copper stuff.

Oh, shit, that's interesting. Maybe I'll put some of that on the Captains and Lieutenants to show that they're the more experienced squad members.

Tacitus_

I'm not sure yet... Something that offsets the bronze nicely. Maybe some light sand with green static grass? Or maybe I'll try to match the red details and do a Mars type thing.
I can recommend Martian Ironearth if you go the Mars route. It and the other cracking paint are great for desert style basing.

Oh, shit, that's interesting. Maybe I'll put some of that on the Captains and Lieutenants to show that they're the more experienced squad members.

You can sorta see the effect here:

I put it on the weapon, the back arch thing and the power plant in his back. And a couple other places, but that's the best photo I've got on my phone. My apologies about the image size, imgur is not playing nice with resizing and embedding.

Top Bottom