• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

One step closer...

IMG_9136.jpg

This "False Gods" book is hard to read. Just started today. 80 pages in. If I stop now, I can pretend all the characters I love live happily ever after and nothing bad happens to them ever again, right? I don't know if my heart can handle this.

Is this your first time reading the Horus Heresy series?
Yep. I just started reading the Warhammer books in general about a month or so ago. Read Ultramarines book 1 and 2, then put a pause on them because I was tired of not knowing any backstory with emperor, primarchs, etc. So now I'm up to book 2, plowing through these Horus Heresy books. First time. Any moment now I suspect the sun will rise, everyone will hug, and we can go back to happy lives killing spiders.

Well, that's certainly an ill omen.

Ohnonono

Yep. I just started reading the Warhammer books in general about a month or so ago. Read Ultramarines book 1 and 2, then put a pause on them because I was tired of not knowing any backstory with emperor, primarchs, etc. So now I'm up to book 2, plowing through these Horus Heresy books. First time. Any moment now I suspect the sun will rise, everyone will hug, and we can go back to happy lives killing spiders.

Warhammer and HH books are pretty good fun. Don't expect happy endings though. The new Dark Imperium book by Guy Haley is not bad. Pretty good introduction to the "new" setting. Hilarious how Gullimane is rolling his eyes at the crazy zealous stuff though.

Whoa hold up. Did you paint in that pattern on the edge of the sword? That's a really cool touch I'll have to do that myself someday.

Sword is a work in progress, obviously. But yeah, that effect is pretty cool IMO.

Base = Darker silver

Dark Wash

Edge pattern = Lighter Silver

That's where I am so far. Going to "power sword" it up somehow later. Not really sure how I'll do that. Probably make it up as I go along. Works well for me!

Tacitus_

Well the next book is titled "Galaxy in Flames".
And you're reading a series about how the Emperor ended up as a rotting carcass on the Golden Throne, kept alive only by His willpower and the sacrifice of thousands of psykers.

Well the next book is titled "Galaxy in Flames".
And you're reading a series about how the Emperor ended up as a rotting carcass on the Golden Throne, kept alive only by His willpower and the sacrifice of thousands of psykers.
I honestly knew nothing about any of that. I am brand new to all of this.

Geist-

Warhammer and HH books are pretty good fun. Don't expect happy endings though. The new Dark Imperium book by Guy Haley is not bad. Pretty good introduction to the "new" setting. Hilarious how Gullimane is rolling his eyes at the crazy zealous stuff though.
Guilliman is practically my self insert. Never liked him before, now he's probably my favorite Primarch.

Tacitus_

The Horus Heresy series is comparatively new to 40k. For almost two decades the only things we knew about it were that Horus rebelled, took half of the Primarchs with him and mangled the Emperor so badly that He's been on life support ever since.

So if you feel spoiled, don't. This is the basic background stuff that's put in the rule book.

manfestival

I would say your better bet is to read up on a ton of stuff since that is what I did online and I watched a ton of videos. I still do that are just lore videos while driving and etc. Most things wouldnt even be spoilers since most of these so called spoilers are for well known events with well known outcomes. It is only the smaller stories that might be different. I also state this because many of the books I have read require a decent burden of knowledge to truly get and understand the full picture. I consider myself pretty decently versed in things 40k at this point and some of the stuff has me scratching my head even in the new dark imperium novel.

Huzzah Custom Drone goop done!

Tried to mimic the 'triple skull' that Nurgle troops like bearing in the front end. Put a bell in the back to cover up the flat end of the wires with more goop stuff(And nurgle loooves bells). Gotta buy black primer next to prime it, and I think I'm going to do the Black/Green scheme from the Death Guard mini-codex on it. Skele bits were gotten from my friend who had some Fantasy Skele bits loose.

Tried to mimic the 'triple skull' that Nurgle troops like bearing in the front end. Put a bell in the back to cover up the flat end of the wires with more goop stuff. Gotta buy black primer next to prime it, and I think I'm going to do the Black/Green scheme from the Death Guard mini-codex on it. Skele bits were gotten from my friend who had some Fantasy Skele bits loose.

Nice!

Nazo

I finally got my dark imperium box on Saturday and I built all the models the other day. I went to prime them last night but I ran out of chaos black spray :(

Bradach

Tried to mimic the 'triple skull' that Nurgle troops like bearing in the front end. Put a bell in the back to cover up the flat end of the wires with more goop stuff(And nurgle loooves bells). Gotta buy black primer next to prime it, and I think I'm going to do the Black/Green scheme from the Death Guard mini-codex on it. Skele bits were gotten from my friend who had some Fantasy Skele bits loose.
Good job Breezy. I'd like to see it painted when you're done!

manfestival

I finally got my dark imperium box on Saturday and I built all the models the other day. I went to prime them last night but I ran out of chaos black spray :(
Prime them in leadbelcher!!

Also reivers sound stupid. In case you don't already have enough overpowered units. We bring you even more!
There is a story about inceptors in the dark imperium book that made me just not like these new primaris marines as far as lore goes

Nazo

Prime them in leadbelcher!!

Also reivers sound stupid. In case you don't already have enough overpowered units. We bring you even more!
There is a story about inceptors in the dark imperium book that made me just not like these new primaris marines as far as lore goes

All I had was Chaos black tho :(

I personally LOVE the reivers. They look awesome. And they're going to look great with my Mad Max themed Space marines

Tacitus_

Don't Fear the Reaver

Stay calm, Guardsman!

Reinforcements from the Adeptus Astartes have been deployed to your war zone – and you may have been lucky enough to meet them already! Whether you've stormed a hostile bastion – only to have found it strangely empty but for a pile of gory remains, or seen an entrenched enemy turn and flee seemingly out of nowhere, you've probably met the Reivers.

While the Adeptus Astartes know no fear, their enemies certainly do! The purpose of the Reivers is to exploit the cowardice of our enemies through the use of shock tactics and advanced training. You are unlikely to encounter any of these warriors directly, but should you find yourself face to face with a skull-faced giant in power armour in the middle of the night, welcome him with open arms – he is most likely a Reiver.*

Reiver-Pin-upFinal

While they may be grim in appearance, you have nothing to fear from these exemplary warriors of the Emperor – provided you follow the below advice at all times.**
Use Ear Protection!

Reivers disrupt the hearing of the enemy with vox-amplified war cries and audio-sonic weaponry. Unfortunately, the heresy corrupted eardrum of a traitor is not too dissimilar from the blessed but regrettably fragile eardrum of a loyal member of the Astra Militarum, such as yourself. Make sure to insert ear protection to guard yourself against aural damage – if none is provided, a pair of spare socks should suffice.***
Clear a Drop Zone!

If you are expecting Reiver support, make sure to establish a clear drop zone. If a drop zone cannot be cleared in time, attempt to drop to the floor to make a soft and level surface for the Reivers to land on.
Keep a Strong Mind and a Strong Stomach

Should you happen upon a squad of hostile infantry strung from the local foliage by their viscera, there is no need to be alarmed – this display is meant to intimidate the enemy, not you, and thus you have nothing to worry about. If any new recruits are disquieted by this, a warm cup of Tanna Tea followed by a reminder of the penalties for cowardice should be enough to steel even the most delicate of bowels.****

There you have it, Guardsman! The Reiver is your friend and your ally – just stay well out of his way.

Thought For the Day: There is nothing to fear but failure.

* If any of the following details are also present – red wings on the helmet, flayed hides, or a corona of daemonic lightning – immediately consult Volume 2 of the Infantryman's Threat Identification Field Guide, 49th edition, section ref. 17.a66.4111 – Hereticus Majoris (revised)
** Where possible, a minimum safe distance of 13 feet is also recommended.
*** If you end up with permanent irreparable loss of hearing, worry not! There are exciting roles in the Astra Militarum just for you. For more information, please consult uplifting pamphlet 114//c: ”You What? – The Artillery Crewman's Guide to Sign Language".
**** Please note that vomiting on the battlefield is punishable by flogging on grounds of wasting valuable rations.

daedalius

Don't Fear the Reaver

This is amazing, where is it from?

This "False Gods" book is hard to read. Just started today. 80 pages in. If I stop now, I can pretend all the characters I love live happily ever after and nothing bad happens to them ever again, right? I don't know if my heart can handle this.

The starting books of the Horus Heresy are some of my favorites.

Don't worry, everyone you like totally, 100% lives. /s

I got my Dark Imperium yesterday!

Then shelved it and painted some Eldar.

Inspirations some times..

When my box arrived, I immediately assembled my Dark Vengeance boxed set from years ago.

FYI, the figs in that box are still amazing. Simply fantastic stuff. A joy to assemble and paint. Hold up 100%, which cannot be said for previous starter edition boxed from the past.

Anyone picked up any of the Imperial Armour books? I can only comment on the Xenos book but it feels like it was seriously rushed. Doubt any of this stuff was playtested and there's the usual crop of basic errors throughout that would have been picked up if some editing had been done. Sad loss of firestorms, although it should be easy to make up some rules for them, but the real kicker for me is the loss of the Corsair army. They're just lumped in with Craftworlders now which is daft as they were already pretty bloated (it's amusing looking at the one page of units for Dark Eldar, and then at the 18 pages for Craftworlders). Hopefully it won't be too long until they get a proper update, but given this is FW I'm talking about, I won't hold my breath.

I've been painting at least a few hours each day for the last 7 days. I figured now would be a good time to ask some questions that have been on my mind in hopes I can get some advice.

Can anyone recommend a fine tip brush? I've been using a Virtuoso 15-Piece set I bought off of Amazon, and even it's finest brushes still seem way too thick.

Are there times I shouldn't be watering down my paint? For example, I have a unit I'm painting now with a few tiny skulls all around it. If I water down my paint, it seems to fill the crevices easier and pool up, blocking out the details...and in skulls, it covers my eyes. If I don't water it down, it simply globs over the eyes.

When I look at other people's paintings, they look so smooth and clean, but when I look at mine, they look patchy in spots (when I get up close). I've been watering down my paint a lot, so I don't think it is that. I'm curious---how long after paint is on should I stop touching it? I'm suspicious maybe that is causing problems? I want my paint to be even, so after I apply it I keep going back-and-forth over it. But maybe I'm putting grooves and such in the paint as it dries?

Here is a picture of what I've done so far. Left one is my first, then the 4 blue ones I did as a batch, and I'm currently working on number 6. (Sorry, my phone camera sucks)

Tacitus_

I've been painting at least a few hours each day for the last 7 days. I figured now would be a good time to ask some questions that have been on my mind in hopes I can get some advice.

Can anyone recommend a fine tip brush? I've been using a Virtuoso 15-Piece set I bought off of Amazon, and even it's finest brushes still seem way too thick.

Are there times I shouldn't be watering down my paint? For example, I have a unit I'm painting now with a few tiny skulls all around it. If I water down my paint, it seems to fill the crevices easier and pool up, blocking out the details...and in skulls, it covers my eyes. If I don't water it down, it simply globs over the eyes.

When I look at other people's paintings, they look so smooth and clean, but when I look at mine, they look patchy in spots (when I get up close). I've been watering down my paint a lot, so I don't think it is that. I'm curious---how long after paint is on should I stop touching it? I'm suspicious maybe that is causing problems? I want my paint to be even, so after I apply it I keep going back-and-forth over it. But maybe I'm putting grooves and such in the paint as it dries?

Here is a picture of what I've done so far. Left one is my first, then the 4 blue ones I did as a batch, and I'm currently working on number 6. (Sorry, my phone camera sucks)

-always water down your paint, if you're filling up the crevices without intending to, you have too much paint on your brush, dry up your brush and use it to absorb the excess paint

-use multiple thin coats, touching them can disturb the coat, but they dry in a few minutes

Mindwipe

Are you shaking your paint thoroughly before use? Paints can separate and that can lead to odd consistency sometimes, even if it's not terribly visible in the pot.

Ohnonono

I went on a binge and now have lots of audio-books to listen to. Betrayer I am a few chapters into at the moment and am really enjoying. Thousand Sons and The Crimson King are up next. Then the First Heretic( Hyped for this one.)

Out of the ones I have listened to so far. The Master of Mankind- Tons of revelations about the Emperor and his mindset, lots of Sisters of Silence and Custodes. REALLY cool Ad Mech stuff. Huge battles in the webway. A pretty short but HORRIBLE POV section about a young Psycher being captured on an imperial world by the Sister and riding a black ship to Terra to be fed to the golden throne. VERY VERY good.

Helsreach- If you want a story about Space Marines fighting WITH some decent characters this is really the best one I have read so far. Lots of shit blows up. Lots of stuff about the inner workings of a Titan. Its mainly battle fluff, but the good kind.

The Talon of Horus - The Setup for a major story. All the characters really are well developed despite them all being horrible traitors. You empathize with their predicament. Good description of Chaos infighting inside of the warp. Told in a neat framing story. If you want to know about the warp and how weird it is this book does a great job. Also an amazing scene where you see a manifestation of how the emperors light can seem to denizens of the warp. Those psykers horrifying deaths aren't for nothing, but boy the emperor comes out looking like a fucking horror show in most books.

Homeboy really fucked up the universe.

Top Bottom