• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/03/forge-world-preview-legio-custodes-aquilon-terminators/
Today, we’re looking at the latest addition to the Legio Custodes with the Aquilon Terminators, walking tanks in advanced Terminator armour wielding powerful close-assault weaponry. We had a preview of these guys at Warhammer Fest – and now here’s your chance to get up close and personal with these elite warriors.

The design of the Aqulion Terminators blends elements from the Custodian Guard with Cataphractii-Pattern Terminator armour, as well as drawing on a wealth of classic Warhammer 40,000 art. The armour has a hand-crafted, artisanal feel in contrast to the brutal and industrial nature of Space Marine power armour during the Age of Darkness, while details like the raised gorget and recessed helmet cavity tie the Aquilon Terminators to the Legio Custodes Dreadnoughts. These models are posed dynamically and given a sense of movement and flexibility that hints at the additional mobility provided by Aquilon Pattern Terminator armour.
Aquilon-Terminators.jpg

Aquilon-Terminators2.jpg

GW is aiming for 10 new codexes by Christmas - fantastic support for the new edition! :D
Very soon, you'll start to see the first of Warhammer 40,000's new codexes. Each one of these tomes will be an invaluable resource on a faction within the 41st Millennium and the Warhammer 40,000 game. While the indexes provided the platform for every army to play from day one of the new edition with all their models, the codexes will be where the incredible depth and rich background of the galaxy really manifests on the tabletop.

While we can't release codexes for every faction on the same day, our Studio and the playtesting team have been on overdrive to get them into your hands as soon as possible. How soon? You can expect to see around 10 new codexes before Christmas, starting with Codex: Space Marines, coming later this month.

CodexSM.jpg

Codex: Space Marines will be swiftly followed by the Grey Knights and Chaos Space Marines with Death Guard not far behind. (Yeah, you read that right – the sons of Mortarion are getting their own codex.)

CodexSneakPeakSpread.jpg

What can you expect from the new codexes?

A major gaming addition in these codexes are the army specific Stratagems, representing the unique ways in which every army in Warhammer 40,000 does battle. These useful abilities are available to your army via Command Points and can change the course of a battle in a moment, from sudden orbital bombardments to desperate acts of heroism.

As well as Stratagems, there'll also be Relics, Warlord Traits, Tactical Objectives and psychic powers for your army. You'll be able to pick your Warlord Traits and psychic powers, meaning that you can decide what sort of characters you want your armies to have. Maybe your Warlord is a tactical genius or your officer a proud duellist or inspirational leader? By combining all these options, you'll be rewarded for building the kind of army you want to play.

Codex-Infographic_Web.jpg

For you gamers out there, one very exciting addition are new rules representing specific sub-groups in many of the major factions; these range from old classics like the Space Marine Chapters or Chaos Space Marine Legions to returning rules for individual craftworlds, as well as previously unexplored groupings like Necron dynasties and Adeptus Mechanicus forge worlds. These will be included in each codex.

There's a lot to be excited about, and there's stuff in there for every type of Warhammer 40,000 gamer; from those of you wanting to build narrative thematic armies, true to the story and character of the faction, to those looking for competitive matched play forces, you'll find more choice and more viable options than ever before. And of course, the codexes are also a rich source of background for each force, packed with updated lore, incredible artwork and glorious miniatures photography.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Writing an army list from these index books is maddening. Unit info on one page, points cost on another, points cost for their wargear on another and god forbid you're running something like Blood Angels and have to get wargear prices from two different lists.

Then there's the decision to have units' prices listed without the wargear they come with as standard, and of course some weapons are listed as wargear but don't have a points cost. Mephiston for example, his rules are on one page, his points cost is in the BA values section at the back, the cost for his plasma pistol is in the separate Space Marine points values section and the Sanguine Sword seems to have no cost.

Writing an army list from these index books is maddening. Unit info on one page, points cost on another, points cost for their wargear on another and god forbid you're running something like Blood Angels and have to get wargear prices from two different lists.

Then there's the decision to have units' prices listed without the wargear they come with as standard, and of course some weapons are listed as wargear but don't have a points cost. Mephiston for example, his rules are on one page, his points cost is in the BA values section at the back, the cost for his plasma pistol is in the separate Space Marine points values section and the Sanguine Sword seems to have no cost.

Use Battlescribe or something similar. It makes it much easier.

I simply cannot wait for the basic Primaris Space Marines to have their appropriate Space Wolves upgrades. While the new models look great, they're still kinda plain looking. I need for pelts, runes, fangs and claws adorning Astartes.

Showaddy

I simply cannot wait for the basic Primaris Space Marines to have their appropriate Space Wolves upgrades. While the new models look great, they're still kinda plain looking. I need for pelts, runes, fangs and claws adorning Astartes.

A friend of mine converted a few recently and let me have a go in a couple of test games; they look nice with a few of the SW heads, pelts & trinkets but if I'm honest they're pretty mediocre on the tabletop which is a shame. They might have a place in other Marine armies but they're badly outclassed by the Wolves infantry.

Fou-Lu

I am somewhat regretting buying the start to my Eldar army. My modelling and painting skills have been languishing so long that I am incredibly intimidated by them and feel like I won't be able to do what I want with them paint and pose and base wise. Not only that, but my favourite Eldar kits are the aspect warriors, which have very few plastic kits, and I HATE working with Finecast and metal isn't easy to find anymore.

I kind of wish I had bought a Tau Start Collecting box to go with my unit of Pathfinders, I had a paint scheme planned that I have managed to achieve to a level which made me happy, and I knew how I would base them. Plus I had fluff all planned out too! Heck I even considered Skitarii because they are new and very cool. It's the damned Elf fanboy in me that made me grab the Eldar. Anything Elf-like is my favourite by default in fantasy settings.

EYEL1NER

New GK Codex coming out this soon, but it uses the 7E artwork on the cover? Lame. Hopefully the Wolves get some new artwork when theirs comes out.

I am somewhat regretting buying the start to my Eldar army. My modelling and painting skills have been languishing so long that I am incredibly intimidated by them and feel like I won't be able to do what I want with them paint and pose and base wise. Not only that, but my favourite Eldar kits are the aspect warriors, which have very few plastic kits, and I HATE working with Finecast and metal isn't easy to find anymore.

I kind of wish I had bought a Tau Start Collecting box to go with my unit of Pathfinders, I had a paint scheme planned that I have managed to achieve to a level which made me happy, and I knew how I would base them. Plus I had fluff all planned out too! Heck I even considered Skitarii because they are new and very cool. It's the damned Elf fanboy in me that made me grab the Eldar. Anything Elf-like is my favourite by default in fantasy settings.

Which Eldar kit(s) did you get? I have a group of Tau Fire Warriors on sprue I can't find a buyer for if you want to trade?

mlclmtckr

Banned

Troops portion of my Primaris Minotaurs is complete! Still not looking amazing but I'm definitely learning as I go along.

Now onto the three officers. Then the ancient, which I'm still pretty intimidated by lol

Nazo

Welp. I kinda fucked my Guiliman model...

I assembled him all in one piece...before priming him.

When I primmed him it was super humid out and really fucked the paint. When I tried to fix it the paint clumped up and muddied a lot of the detail.

I tried to paint it to try and salvage it but trying to paint it in one piece is next to impossible.

Guess I got to get a new one...there goes like $90...

:(

At least my Cypher and Voldus models are OK I guess...

When I primmed him it was super humid out and really fucked the paint. When I tried to fix it the paint clumped up and muddied a lot of the detail.

I tried to paint it to try and salvage it but trying to paint it in one piece is next to impossible.

I just used SImple Green on my 3 Inceptor models because the prime job was great all over EXCEPT the chest. I must have shot too much there, because the skull and wings were completely globbed over. 24 hours, pulled out, tooth brushed...back to plastic base. What is great is my local Wal-Mart had some of this stuff too.

Adding to what Vincent said. Did you use superclue or plastic cement? If superclue, put Guilliman into freezer for a while and the glue gives in.

barik

For stripping I can really recommend Dettol, you can leave it in there for months without risk of damage, and it comes right off in a day or two. For metal and plastic at least, no idea about resin.

Jerry

Im officially back in, ordered the Dark Imperium boxset.

Used to love painting and playing as a kid and the itch has been coming back the last year or so, accelerated by a few of my friends jumping back in too.

The new models really are beautiful, a far cry from the crude 2nd edition box set I remember buying!

Nazo

I just used SImple Green on my 3 Inceptor models because the prime job was great all over EXCEPT the chest. I must have shot too much there, because the skull and wings were completely globbed over. 24 hours, pulled out, tooth brushed...back to plastic base. What is great is my local Wal-Mart had some of this stuff too.

I had actually planned on stripping the paint but when I realized it was near impossible to paint parts of him when hes was fully assembled I kind of abandoned that idea.

Adding to what Vincent said. Did you use superclue or plastic cement? If superclue, put Guilliman into freezer for a while and the glue gives in.

Plastic glue unfortunately, I did actually try to pull him apart but the cement had already done its work and the pieces were already molded together by the time I realised my mistake.

For stripping I can really recommend Dettol, you can leave it in there for months without risk of damage, and it comes right off in a day or two. For metal and plastic at least, no idea about resin.

That's cool., I'll have to remember to do that in the future.

I appreciate you guy's help but I feel like there's kind of no saving poor Guiliman. I'm still relatively new to the hobby so a mistake like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Ohnonono

After listening to some more audiobooks I LOVE ANGRON and am WAY more interested in the Word Bearers. How have they not gotten more separate models and stuff. Or maybe they are considered basic "Chaos"

Tacitus_

After listening to some more audiobooks I LOVE ANGRON and am WAY more interested in the Word Bearers. How have they not gotten more separate models and stuff. Or maybe they are considered basic "Chaos"

They are pretty basic. Their specialities are possessed marines and dark apostles, both of which have generic models. That said, FW has made some unique possessed models for them.

Tzeentch and Nurgle just got their own minis and primarchs for 40k (Mort coming soon!). It is only a matter of time before Korne and Slaanesh models follow.

Anyone have a weapon guide for tyranids? Im looking at my old warriora and like...2 of them have scythes...one has gigantic scythes..they all have guns...the guy with big scythes has a venom cannon but I cant identify the other two guns(theyre longish..)...then like, how does a deathspitter look like? I think the devourer has the holes on it...

...tyranid weaponry is confusing.

Anyone have a weapon guide for tyranids? Im looking at my old warriora and like...2 of them have scythes...one has gigantic scythes..they all have guns...the guy with big scythes has a venom cannon but I cant identify the other two guns(theyre longish..)...then like, how does a deathspitter look like? I think the devourer has the holes on it...

...tyranid weaponry is confusing.

Fleshborer - looks like an AK-47 with carapace plates on top
Spinefists - pistols
Devourer - has the triangular honeycomb pattern on the end of the weapon
Deathspitter - rifle with carapace plates running halfway down, narrow barrel
Barbed Strangler - rifle with carapace plates running the entire length, wide barrel
Venom Cannon - rifle with a bayonet
Stranglethorn Cannon - Railgun
Heavy Venom Cannon - the venom cannon, but bigger

Im officially back in, ordered the Dark Imperium boxset.

Used to love painting and playing as a kid and the itch has been coming back the last year or so, accelerated by a few of my friends jumping back in too.

The new models really are beautiful, a far cry from the crude 2nd edition box set I remember buying!

Welcome back! Yeah, they do a stunning job with their starter sets these days. The Chaos minis in the last one were pretty spectacular too!

That's the only thing I initially found confusing about the new edition - have to check the points of every weapon elsewhere, even standard weapons (which are often listed as 0 points anyway) - otherwise I'm loving it!

I hope they get the 40K app out soon as it should help make army building and rules referencing quicker and easier.

Fleshborer - looks like an AK-47 with carapace plates on top
Spinefists - pistols
Devourer - has the triangular honeycomb pattern on the end of the weapon
Deathspitter - rifle with carapace plates running halfway down, narrow barrel
Barbed Strangler - rifle with carapace plates running the entire length, wide barrel
Venom Cannon - rifle with a bayonet
Stranglethorn Cannon - Railgun
Heavy Venom Cannon - the venom cannon, but bigger

Thanks

I guess the gun termagaunts have are fleshborers? I found a squad from I believe the Battle of Macragge set( and genestealers from the box too) that I have no idea what they have.

That's the only thing I initially found confusing about the new edition - have to check the points of every weapon elsewhere, even standard weapons (which are often listed as 0 points anyway) - otherwise I'm loving it!

I hope they get the 40K app out soon as it should help make army building and rules referencing quicker and easier.

I actually played my first game of 8th over the weekend, the game itself is great. It's so weird getting used to stuff like vehicles having no arcs of fire and jump pack guys being able to assault flyers but the game plays so much better for it.

Nazo

I've got a lot of work done on my Plague Marines. I finally found a color scheme that I like for them. I still need to put on some of the base colors on then there its going to get a nice shade of Agraxx Earthshade to make it all nice and rusty and grimy looking.

Nazo

Very cool color scheme. They look like Medieval Knights...except you know, with their guts spilling out.

That's actually what I was going for! They're my homebrew warband. They're Black Templars successors who turned to chaos by the cause of ancient xenos necromorph like disease.

That's actually what I was going for! They're my homebrew warband. They're Black Templars successors who turned to chaos by the cause of ancient xenos necromorph like disease.

poor black templars

wage the biggest crusade to prove that they are loyal

get turned into the undead

I've got a lot of work done on my Plague Marines. I finally found a color scheme that I like for them. I still need to put on some of the base colors on then there its going to get a nice shade of Agraxx Earthshade to make it all nice and rusty and grimy looking.
What base did you use for that silver exactly? I really like it.

Top Bottom