• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Brothers suspends [new] purchases for PC version of Batman Arkham Knight

Swarna

Suspending sales of a video game by the publishers themselves. That's the first I've heard of it. Has this ever happened before?

Sealtest

So they said we could return this product to the retail store we bought.. but isn't their policies saying they wont take open games back? I don't get how we return physical copies.

Ibuki

Banned
So they said we could return this product to the retail store we bought.. but isn't their policies saying they wont take open games back? I don't get how we return physical copies.

If you opened it, pretty sure you don't. Activation codes and all that, still bullshit though.

Maybe something like that FF MMO?

The game isn't fundamentally broken like that though, they don't need to rebuild the whole thing.
No way, that was an entirely new game! I was thinking something like the Arkham Asylum Steamworks version that they did last year.
We have no clue.

I just hope I can get good performance within a week. Or at least some missing effects. It's playable on my PC, with the 30 cap in place. Occasional stutter while driving quickly or whatnot but I can live with it. I'm 3-4 hours in and I kind of want to keep playing, but also kind of want to hold off until I can get a better experience.
Yeah, it's probably just wishful thinking for a version by Rocksteady lol
Also, you're probably aware but you can force AO in with Reshade/MasterEffect if you wish. It's not the ideal solution (like the damn in-game AO working like it should), but it'll do for now. I'm at around 15 hours now and loving it... but the unstable Batmobile performance does get annoying.

antitrop

Suspending sales of a video game by the publishers themselves. That's the first I've heard of it. Has this ever happened before?
What a coincidence that the first major occurrence of something like this is shortly after Steam adds a refund option, isn't it?

Since details are still hazy on what all has happened, I'm not ready to blame anyone yet, but this was a very smart move by WB.

Poor Lang. I really hope this doesn't bite IG and they were just rushed into the port job.

I know a guy who works there and he seems super down about the whole situation. Nobody is allowed to talk about anything though, so we just don't know the full story yet. Hopefully the truth comes to light and we can see who is at fault here.

Mononoke

Banned
What a coincidence that the first major occurrence of something like this is shortly after Steam adds a refund option, isn't it?

Not trying to simplify the situation (I get it's complex). But there is a reason other countries have these laws to protect consumers. Because companies think they can get away with treating consumers badly. I can't even imagine this situation without refunds.

Corpekata

Banned
I really hope the message AAA devs are getting from the recent bad ports (Saints Row IV Next gen, Ultra Street Fighter 4 PS4, MKX PC, and this) is to stop hiring these bottom of the barrel dev teams to do the work. Or at least to reorganize how they think about the process. Maybe it's not all on IG or High Voltage or Other Ocean's heads and they need to give more time and oversite or something. Something's gotta give one way or the other.

But they'll probably just say "Fuck it, no more PC versions."

I've never seen this before, and while it's a good move to make, I can't give WB any props here. The product should NEVER have released in the state it did.

Isn't Iron Galaxy responsible for a competent PC port of Arkham Origins and the well reviewed season 2 of Killer Instinct on XBone? If they can manage those two games competently what happened here? Did WB mandate a quick port or was this studio truly not capable of getting the most out of this PC release. Also, now that Killer Instinct is announced for PC will these guys be the ones doing the porting? If so I fear for that games release as well and I was so looking forward to playing it too.

Wanderer5

God I hope this ends well somehow. How could this become a damn failure to one of their biggest games.

I know a guy who works there and he seems super down about the whole situation. Nobody is allowed to talk about anything though, so we just don't know the full story yet. Hopefully the truth comes to light and we can see who is at fault here.

I don't think we'll ever really know, I'm sure that's all going to be hush hush.

Well at least they are acknowledging that it's broken and they cannot continue to sell it in it's current state.

Now they should get to work fixing it.

M.Steiner

They shouldn't have been selling the game in this state in the first place of course but a good move I think. Shows they're actually taking this shit seriously.

diaspora

Oh the fallout would be even more crazy than it is now.

It would basically have to be an update no? Or at least a free purchase for anyone with a copy registered on Steam. Part of me wants to see them re-sell a fixed version while trying to pass it off as a Scholar of the First Sin type deal just for the massive clusterfuck.

Isn't Iron Galaxy responsible for a competent PC port of Arkham Origins and the well reviewed season 2 of Killer Instinct on XBone? If they can manage those two games competently what happened here? Did WB mandate a quick port or was this studio truly not capable of getting the most out of this PC release. Also, now that Killer Instinct is announced for PC will these guys be the ones doing the porting? If so I fear for that games release as well and I was so looking forward to playing it too.

Steamdb suggest they were given 8 weeks to work on a port, seems like a rush-job.

iMax

Is it just me or does something like this indicate that, perhaps, a hotfix isn't too likely? A decision like this speculatively smells like something is far more fucked up than first anticipated.

Giever

Not trying to simplify the situation (I get it's complex). But there is a reason other countries have these laws to protect consumers. Because companies think they can get away with treating consumers badly. I can't even imagine this situation without refunds.

I think in this particular case, Valve still would have actually given people refunds for it. Steam refunds existed before the recent update to them. They were just made more accessible and less strict. For an essentially broken game, people likely would have been refunded, had they asked.

That's the important part, though. I think that a lot less people would have actually asked for refunds if this hadn't occurred so closely to the new easier Steam refunds being revealed.

Top Bottom