• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARNING: Don't update your NVIDIA drivers, breaks memory speed, more

Iced

I wouldn't bother with Nvidia driver updates if they would just release a single one I could live with. I've come to accept that you simply need to take the good with the bad lately with them, but the bad has far outweighed the good for far too long. Just waiting for that one magic driver and I'll be done with this shit.

Let's not forget the fact that my EVGA 1070 apparently has the potential to catch fire, so one could say I'm a bit disgruntled.

It's a good thing I decided to ignore the download prompt earlier because I was too busy to interrupt my internet shenanigans. Procrastination wins this round, I suppose.

hoserx

SLI = stutter with the new patch no matter which driver I try. Going to sleep and praying for a miracle from the Dicemen.

decoy11

if anyone remember the days of windows vista or early dx10 they should know that Nvidia drivers are not perfect.

The reason everyone gives nvidia a pass on drivers is because they release updated versions so often that you will find one for your PC that is good for you

their drivers are also easy to hack and are compatible between laptop/desktop/workstations.

For me I've been running a year old quadro driver on my 980 and i don't think I'll switch till something goes wrong.

Renekton

if anyone remember the days of windows vista or early dx10 they should know that Nvidia drivers are not perfect.

The reason everyone gives nvidia a pass on drivers is because they release updated versions so often that you will find one for your PC that is good for you

their drivers are also easy to hack and are compatible between laptop/desktop/workstations.

For me I've been running a year old quadro driver on my 980 and i don't think I'll switch till something goes wrong.
How is Quadro driver compatible with a consumer card??

DSix

Banned
This is making me kinda regret going green with a 1070. I was using AMD cards for many many years and never saw any such problems.

The last driver I downloaded broke New Vegas and had that awful account system for Geforce Experience. Rolled that shit back straight away. Im not getting any new PC games for a while so its staying put until they sort this stuff out.

Bravoexo

All the flickering in BF1 was caused by the patch, not the drivers (installed the update to BF1 first before the new drivers and was already getting problems)

Further but not that significant, the DVACore problem with Adobe Premiere Elements is still not fixed (problem now for two WHQL drivers)

ffvorax

Is it a common issue that every driver Nvidia release it mess up something?
In the last month is the 4th(?) thread about a Nvidia driver giving major problems I think... :O

Good that I bought a Radeon on my new pc last week...? :O

dr_rus

I've had as many AMD cards as Nvida and I've never had driver issues with them.

Riiiiiiight.

https://community.amd.com/thread/204651
https://community.amd.com/thread/207898
https://community.amd.com/thread/207936
https://community.amd.com/thread/207914
https://community.amd.com/thread/207955

That's from the first page only.

NV drivers are just as bad as AMD's now, the issue is that they used to be a lot better.

I blame Nintendo Switch personally as I'm presuming that a lot of s/w people in NV went to work on that instead of the drivers.

Dammit AMD!!!!

Oh wait, AMD haven't had major driver issues for many year now.

This issue is hardly "major". You just install any previous version on top of the new one - and it's gone. "Annoying" would be a better word.

The last driver I downloaded broke New Vegas and had that awful account system for Geforce Experience. Rolled that shit back straight away. Im not getting any new PC games for a while so its staying put until they sort this stuff out.

New Vegas was broken by Windows 10 WDDM 2.1, any driver supporting 2.1 lead to FNV not able to launch, on any GPU. This was fixed by MS in a recent Win10 cumulative update.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't think I've updated my drivers in about 6 months. Unless I can't play a new game I buy without updating the drivers I won't update them.

The golden rule for me while maintaining my PC is that bios' and drivers never get updated unless I encounter a problem that is documented to have been fixed in an update. Life is better this way.

chiliboy

Anyone with a GTX 1080 / 1070 / 1060 that solved their problems in bf1 with rollback of driver?

Is it the same on 375.76 (the hotfix) with the new bf patch? or do you really need to go back to 375.70?

SomTervo

Should be a rule to never download drivers on the first day they're released. Always better to sit back and let other people discover shit like this.

This is the first time I've ever done a first-day driver update. Did it because Dishonored started glitching. Now look where I am!

Don't think I've updated my drivers in about 6 months. Unless I can't play a new game I buy without updating the drivers I won't update them.

The golden rule for me while maintaining my PC is that bios' and drivers never get updated unless I encounter a problem that is documented to have been fixed in an update. Life is better this way.

100%

SaberEdge

I'm on the 375.86 drivers and I have a GTX 1070 (MSI Gaming X) and haven't encountered any problems. My memory is running at full speed and I've had no crashes or reduced performance.

curlycare

Updated to these when GFE notification popped up yesterday. Luckily my 1080 memory seems to be boosting correctly to 10012 MHz. I wonder what is the HW/SW combination that triggers the bug.

noomi

All the flickering in BF1 was caused by the patch, not the drivers (installed the update to BF1 first before the new drivers and was already getting problems)

Further but not that significant, the DVACore problem with Adobe Premiere Elements is still not fixed (problem now for two WHQL drivers)

Same here, Ive had the bf1 flicker since yesterdays bf1 update. I have not updates my nvidia drivers.

ive not had any problems worth mentioning for the last few years with nvidia drivers but they certainly have been making headlines a lot

DocSeuss

I installed it because I was having severe issues with gifs and other web videos not loading right at all. Mostly black blocks with a few pixels on until suddenly the video works?

THAT bug seems to have been fixed.

chiliboy

I installed it because I was having severe issues with gifs and other web videos not loading right at all. Mostly black blocks with a few pixels on until suddenly the video works?

THAT bug seems to have been fixed.

Yeah they solved that bug with the 375.76 hotfix :)

xrnzaaas

It's funny how things have changed. In the past ATI cards were the ones with serious driver problems, now it's complete opposite. They should really invest in some QA and preview programs.

Hell yeah. Validation! on my fuck-you-nvidia-for-having-me-need-an-account-to-update-drivers stance. Haven't done so since the BF1 mandatory upgrade.

You Don'have to haven account to upgrade drivers, just use device manager to right click on card and get the update. The Nidia signin thing kept crashing on me so I use device manager now.

deleted

So the 970 is safe? Updated yesterday unknowingly.

It's becoming a pattern for NVIDIA in these last few month. Hopefully they get their shit together..

Top Bottom