• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARNING: Don't update your NVIDIA drivers, breaks memory speed, more

dr_rus

Coincidentally I just picked up a 1080FE today. Are those cards impacted by this issue?
No.

Just updated my MSI GTX 1070 vbios to fix the Micron Memory voltage issue but glad I didn't update the Nvidia drivers now, will wait for the next driver update before I update again.
It's out already: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4260
d9fc.png

Is there an easy way to install an older driver or do I have to driverwipe and reinstall?
If the previous version is from the same branch (you can usually tell this by the first number in the version; if is the same like 375-375 or close like 362-363 etc then it's the same branch) then it's usually safe to just install an older driver on top of the newer one, using "clean install" checkbox.

Implosion

Neo Member
I've downloaded it and not having any memory speed issues anymore, games seem to run fine, haven't spent a ton of time with it though so maybe I'll notice something later. I'll post if I have any new issues.

i havent had any driver issues worth mentioning other than the old 144hz power state issue in years with nvidia. they sure are making the news a lot lately tho

Henrar

No widespread issues to report, the driver seems to be pretty good overall.

Apart from installation problems on Pascal laptops and flickering issue on SLI in BF1*

*I know this is technically DICE issue, but AMD managed to fix it in their driver for Crossfire configs.

dr_rus

Apart from installation problems on Pascal laptops and flickering issue on SLI in BF1*

*I know this is technically DICE issue, but AMD managed to fix it in their driver for Crossfire configs.

Did they actually fixed it or did they just disabled CF with a new compatibility code? I can't find any report on this beyond what's stated in the release notes.

Dermee

Neo Member
i havent had any driver issues worth mentioning other than the old 144hz power state issue in years with nvidia. they sure are making the news a lot lately tho

Can you elaborate on these issues? I recently got a 144 hz monitor and have a 1070. Occasionally when I power on from sleep it takes longer than it should. Wondering if that is what you are referring to.

Vuze

Can you elaborate on these issues? I recently got a 144 hz monitor and have a 1070. Occasionally when I power on from sleep it takes longer than it should. Wondering if that is what you are referring to.
Nah, it's about the idle clocks of the card. With high resolution / high refresh displays the card doesn't go into the lowest power state hence emitting more heat / consuming more power. Apparently a "safety" precaution by NVIDIA to avoid graphical glitches or whatnot. You can force it into the lowest possible state however but that comes with some inconveniences.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's that when you've got multiple monitors connected with at least one of them running at 144Hz, the GPU doesn't go into its lowest power state under any circumstances. It's a relatively minor thing (and fixed by setting your desktop refresh to 120Hz), but it's a bug that's not been fixed for years, and at this point probably never will be.

Edit: Beaten!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So has AMD switched with Nvidia as far as stable drivers go? It used to be the other way around, but lately I haven't heard any issues regarding AMD video card drivers. Nvidia stuff pops up all the time.
My last 3 cards over a 7 year period have been AMD and I've yet to have any issues.

Gestault

I'm to a point where I don't trust newly released Nvidia drivers. Their quality control (which is admittedly a gargantuan task) has been unreliable for long enough that I just assume it causes some unintended issue. Even little things like the "pixel tar" effect at the start of YouTube videos last time around was obnoxious.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's that when you've got multiple monitors connected with at least one of them running at 144Hz, the GPU doesn't go into its lowest power state under any circumstances. It's a relatively minor thing (and fixed by setting your desktop refresh to 120Hz), but it's a bug that's not been fixed for years, and at this point probably never will be.

Edit: Beaten!

its this, but it was fixed for single monitor use some time ago. still an issue for multimonitors

Henrar

Did they actually fixed it or did they just disabled CF with a new compatibility code? I can't find any report on this beyond what's stated in the release notes.

No idea. Nvidia did something similar with this release for Infinite Warfare (which was also flickering), so AMD may have done the same for BF1.

Sky87

Not to freak everyone out, but is something happening again with the latest drivers?

I'm on a MSI Gaming X 1070, and ''Debug mode'' in the control panel seem to be selected by default and no way to turn off.

http://i.imgur.com/bDbFZUo.png

What this means is, clocks will run at default, so any user OC will be reverted. Anyone else noticing this after installing the latest driver? I've used DDU and reinstalled, same thing. Wasn't there with the 376.09 drivers.

EDIT: Reinstalled 376.09, debug option is back. Definitely an issue from the latest driver.

dr_rus

Not to freak everyone out, but is something happening again with the latest drivers?

I'm on a MSI Gaming X 1070, and ''Debug mode'' in the control panel seem to be selected by default and no way to turn off.

What this means is, clocks will run at default, so any user OC will be reverted. Anyone else noticing this after installing the latest driver? I've used DDU and reinstalled, same thing. Wasn't there with the 376.09 drivers.

EDIT: Reinstalled 376.09, debug option is back. Definitely an issue from the latest driver.

Same here, clocks are fine though, chances are that it's the same in your case - only the CPL UI option is bugged, not the clocks.

It's not default clocks btw, it's NV's reference clocks, your default clocks are higher since your Gaming X is factory OCed.

Nice catch, btw. Most people never go into Help menu of the CPL =)

Sky87

Same here, clocks are fine though, chances are that it's the same in your case - only the CPL UI option is bugged, not the clocks.

It's not default clocks btw, it's NV's reference clocks, your default clocks are higher since your Gaming X is factory OCed.

Nice catch, btw. Most people never go into Help menu of the CPL =)

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337339

I did some tests with the Render Tool in GPUZ, the clock difference is small but it's there.

Coonce

I'm on 376.33 and my debug option is also ticked.

t8P6G5y.png

overclocks work just fine, no problems here. will update and test the new driver.

dr_rus

See here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337339

I did some tests with the Render Tool in GPUZ, the clock difference is small but it's there.

This has nothing to do with debug mode and the difference between 1987 and 1974 is just one step in clocking which is based on temperatures and power supply. While it's possible that a driver may result in a GPU running hotter and thus stepping down the clock a bit it's rather unlikely to be the case here - more likely that you just haven't waited for the test to run long enough on the older driver to get to the same clock after the card would heat up.

If the debug mode was actually active you'd be seeing clocks around 1800-1900 MHz - the boosting range of NV's reference 1070.

dr_rus

Is 378.49 a safe update?

Well, the only kinda serious bug found so far is the flickering of shadows when selecting PCSS/HFTS in The Division so if you play that game and use this setting then you're better off with the previous version. No issues otherwise.

Top Bottom