• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarZ pulled from Steam (for now)

iAess9fdI5TAc.gif

"IT IS DONE."

Where is this from? Gabe looks mad.

Rapstah

How was the in-game currency sold? I thought the whole EA-Valve fallout last years was because all DLC had to be sold through Steam for Steam copies, but screenshots I've seen of this game have looked like they've had "buy Z-money now!!!" buttons right there.

Valve can make this cockup of their stewardship of front-page store items up to me by splitting/categorizing their Greenlight queue into genres rather than make less popular niche titles forever sit in line dozens of positions behind tower defense clones and pixel art indie things.
PINBALL GODDAMNIT

Wonder how much the name confusion (WarZ =/= DayZ) is going to hurt the DayZ brand. Just like a lot of people though this might have been a DayZ sequel or related product, the fallout may leave a taint a future DayZ product where many customers still do not see the difference clearly.

Really surprised the DayZ folks do not have a lawyer.

I know the quote has already been bolded a few times in this thread but it's so bad it bears repeating.
We also want to extend our apologies to all players who misread infromation about game features.

So they're saying they're sorry, but not for putting out a bad game or outright lying about its features on the Steam page. Instead, they're sorry that the people who read the page took what it said literally and to be a true description of the game. Clearly they were supposed to know that "up to 100 players" really means that there can only be 50 as 50 players is included in the statement "up to 100 players".

I wonder if they will they keep the original release date so it sinks down the new releases chart upon return, so it gets less exposure for fucking up so bad the first time around.

Gatombre

Neo Member
Wonder how much the name confusion (WarZ =/= DayZ) is going to hurt the DayZ brand. Just like a lot of people though this might have been a DayZ sequel or related product, the fallout may leave a taint a future DayZ product where many customers still do not see the difference clearly.

Really surprised the DayZ folks do not have a lawyer.

WarZ and its trailer STILL show up when you search for DayZ.

Or, uh, if you type the letter "h" into the search box on the front page and wait a second.

that totalbiscuit guy seems to have enough power to make games or destroy them I know others have been saying it but when a video from him comes out it seems to have a domino effect lol

Mahonay

Banned
I hope everyone is wise enough now not to buy into this tripe for a second time when it eventually comes back.

Good to see something was actually done.

I can't say this enough, so once again, go fuck yourself Sergey Titov, you piece of shit.

that totalbiscuit guy seems to have enough power to make games or destroy them I know others have been saying it but when a video from him comes out it seems to have a domino effect lol
There was a massive outcry before the video posted. He certainly made a dent, though.

His video (quicklooks) have a ton of weight due to his large youtube and twitter following. I tend to agree with his opinions most of the time

Amagon

I haven't watch or follow this guy's video at all but people were outrage before he made any video about the situation. Of course from what I understand, he did help push further the cause of the matter.

Edit: Seems I'm not the only who shares the same sentiment, good.

Geoff9920

I think you're giving TB a little too much credit here. He has some influence for sure, but given the state the game was released in the customer backlash was inevitable.

Mudkips

Banned
I was really surprised Valve let The War Z onto Steam with the shape the game is in. Is Valve going to refund everyone who wants their money back? It is just as much their fault for allowing the game to be sold.

Valve lets anything through as long as it runs.
They let Sword of the Stars II launch.

sixghost

I wonder if they will they keep the original release date so it sinks down the new releases chart upon return, so it gets less exposure for fucking up so bad the first time around.

Do you think the game will ever make it back on Steam? I'd be willing to bet no. That game is toxic now.

epmode

thanks for the info. i can see why they have their process setup like that, never seen this level of shadiness before

The problem with that article is that we've already seen games relegated to Greenlight even though the developer has other games on Steam. See: Primordia from Wadjet Eye Games

Munin

It's a travesty that once the standlone Day Z shows up on Steam, they'll probably need to preface it with "THIS PRODUCT IS NOT IN ANY WAY RELATED TO 'THE WAR Z'" in huge letters.

Haha, so the endgame is Valve apologizes for "releasing a product too soon on accident," issues refunds if you want one, pulls product from being able to be purchased until a "new build from the developer" is ready, etc...

Now the real drama we may never know: Will Steam get money back it sent off to WarZ Devs for all the "refunded" purchases or is WarZ going to go shady and say "no way, our money now?"

Sajjaja

I hope everyone is wise enough now not to buy into this tripe for a second time when it eventually comes back.

Good to see something was actually done.

I can't say this enough, so once again, go fuck yourself Sergey Titov, you piece of shit.

There was a massive outcry before the video posted. He certainly made a dent, though.

Christmas spirit is in the air :p
image.php

Haha, so the endgame is Valve apologizes for "releasing a product too soon on accident," issues refunds if you want one, pulls product from being able to be purchased until a "new build from the developer" is ready, etc...

Now the real drama we may never know: Will Steam get money back it sent off to WarZ Devs for all the "refunded" purchases or is WarZ going to go shady and say "no way, our money now?"

there's a month or two lag before developers get paid, so they can easily just remove the money

Nabs

They never sent money off in the first place. They cut a check every month.

sixghost

I was thinking about this as well. Surely Steam has some sort of language in their contract with publishers/developers that entitles refunds when justified. I guess the question is whether Valve pulled the game for a legally defensible reason, or they just decided to eat the cost to preserve their goodwill.

Thanks for that, I was worried about someone getting the game on Winter Sale and gifting it to me thus forever haunting my Steam library.

I doubt this will stop WarZ people from going on but it'll hit them a bit. And with everybody saying that a gamer should have done its research before buying a game, I say, so should Valve before giving them a license to Steam.

Let me recap my emotions towards both parties included in this incident, Valve and Hammerpoint.
ppkntt90.png

ShaunBRS

I was really surprised Valve let The War Z onto Steam with the shape the game is in. Is Valve going to refund everyone who wants their money back? It is just as much their fault for allowing the game to be sold.

Not only the state the game was in but the blatantly deceitful way in which it was promoted too. Disappointing to see Valve lending any legitimacy to this sort of practice by having it on their service at all, no matter how it happened, but at least they're dealing with it now and issuing refunds.

I understand Valve's policy is to be unobtrusive to developers but there should be some checks in place to at least ensure a game is presented accurately and truthfully.

snack

From what I understand after reading all this controversy, the devs of WarZ are a bunch of crooks and should be penalized.

I knew nothing of this game prior to this week thinking I would give it a shot since I love anything zombies. Good thing I didn't.

And every developer with a finished working well reviewed game that has been forced to try to get onto Steam through greenlight is left shaking their heads.

Top Bottom