• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarZ pulled from Steam (for now)

DTKT

Oh wow, the .exe for Big Rigs(Sergey was a producer/programmer) on that is named CarZ.

iWcfT.png

(taken from Reddit, but it seems to be accurate)

Ponn

Banned
Jesus, what is with that company and their non-apoligies?

“We are sorry you bunch of whiners cant read and interpret our insane thinking process.”

and yet Valve is still going to work with them.

because... LOL.

I think I officially hate Valve right now.

"Work with Them" is corporate saving face talk. Whole press release was crafted corporate PR which in short is "game shouldn't have been sold, refunds are allowed if you want it."

Highly doubt you'll see it back anytime soon, especially if Valve takes a financial hit for the refunds and bad press.

I hope that when they realize that they're just a bunch of unprofessional and amateurish developers they'll just look to the other way and wait for DayZ.

why are they giving these shits the benefit of the doubt? why are they eager for such a piece of shit blatant rip off to join Steam when there are critically praised completed PC games they won't let on?

WHY WHY WHY?

I think this is what a meltdown must feel like.

Violater

Man watching that Totalbiscuit video and this game looks horrible, lol how was this a best seller?
Are zombies that appealing?

"Work with Them" is corporate saving face talk. Whole press release was crafted corporate PR which in short is "game shouldn't have been sold, refunds are allowed if you want it."

Highly doubt you'll see it back anytime soon, especially if Valve takes a financial hit for the refunds and bad press.

Why do these mother fuckers get a second chance when Valve hasn't given certain devs a first chance? Why isn't Valve refunding everyone and refusing to let the game back on the service? It's not like refusing even good games onto Steam would be unusual behavior for them.

Why are they making it so people have to ask for refunds? Because they don't want everyone to get refunded, and they hope the game comes back. Why is the game still listed in the store?

EURGH.

LuuKyK

Does that mean I can look forward to you keeping your knee jerk reactionary bullshit out of Valve threads in the future? *crosses fingers*

I think you're confusing me for someone else. I barely post in steam threads.

Valve are still forcing good finished games to fight it out in project greenlight. Until that gets fixed, am I just supposed to sit on my hands? Knee jerk reactionary bullshit? This shit has been going on for months and continues to go on. How many months does it need to go on for before I'm allowed to react to it?

I don't even really know who you are...

Why do these mother fuckers get a second chance when Valve hasn't given certain devs a first chance? Why isn't Valve refunding everyone and refusing to let the game back on the service? It's not like refusing even good games onto Steam would be unusual behavior for them.

Why are they making it so people have to ask for refunds? Because they don't want everyone to get refunded, and they hope the game comes back. Why is the game still listed in the store?

EURGH.
WarZ isn't coming back on Steam. You're taking PR at face value. They'll leave it up a bit and take the whole thing down when nobody cares anymore.

What if you actually liked the game, and didn't want a refund? This lets people decide if they want to keep it or not.

You're getting outraged over nothing. It's done, taken care of. Anything past this point is worthless to get worked up over.

I think you're confusing me for someone else. I barely post in steam threads.

Valve are still forcing good finished games to fight it out in project greenlight. Until that gets fixed, am I just supposed to sit on my hands? Knee jerk reactionary bullshit? This shit has been going on for months and continues to go on. How many months does it need to go on for before I'm allowed to react to it?

I don't even really know who you are...
The developers already have a game on Steam. That's how they can get the facetrack to being accepted. They could have agreed to add it to Steam long before Greenlight, you don't know that this is some conspiracy to keep indie devs down or whatever you seem to believe this is.

Do you apply similar standard to brick and mortar businesses or just valve/digital distribution? The game is in a perfectly playable state, it's just the marketing that is misleading.

As a customer I want to feel confident when browsing Steam I'm getting appropriate information. Also am more likely to buy things if I can trust what am buying, Steam should be pushing quality to the front of their store.

The game is a con. As a customer it pisses me off.
Its not in a playable state and the marketing is pretty much fraudulent.

I'm not running to gaf every time I want to check a new game is fine to buy.
Steam has lost a lot of trust from me over this.

So yeah I apply this to all businesses. Am a fucking customer, my money isn't constant and its certainly not free.

why are they giving these shits the benefit of the doubt? why are they eager for such a piece of shit blatant rip off to join Steam when there are critically praised completed PC games they won't let on?

WHY WHY WHY?

I think this is what a meltdown must feel like.

Why aren't these critically praised games able to attract enough support on Project Greenlight to be approved on their own merits?

Why aren't these critically praised games able to attract enough support on Project Greenlight to be approved on their own merits?

Something like WarZ would be Greenlighted faster than LaMulana due to a base higher interest level in the theme, style, and genre. Does that mean that a game like WarZ deserves a spot above LaMulana? Purely popularity and financially wise it may, but in terms of quality it doesn't. It is just a sea of grey.

I posted this, will probably be removed:

Not only have you blatantly mislead consumers, you are now publicly offering a back-handed apology as some form of compensation?

War Z has been advertised with several features that are clearly not present in the product:

- Each world has areas between 100 to 400 square kilometres (False)
- You can also rent and create public or private servers (False)
- Gain experience points and spend it to learn dozen of available skills (False)
- Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore (False)
- Up to 100 players per game server (False)

The above is not a case of 'misreading' or a 'miss-interpretation', it's text written in plain English.

To insult the general public and suggest that we are incapable of reading, something that is simple (irrelevant of translation), is a disgrace.

A gaming community is built around one thing, the developers interaction and communication with their (paying) customers. If you think for one second your attitude will act as some form of seasonal good will, think again.

syllogism

As a customer I want to feel confident when browsing Steam I'm getting appropriate information. Also am more likely to buy things if I can trust what am buying, Steam should be pushing quality to the front of their store.

The game is a con. As a customer it pisses me off.
Its not in a playable state and the marketing is pretty much fraudulent.

I'm not running to gaf every time I want to check a new game is fine to buy.
Steam has lost a lot of trust from me over this.

So yeah I apply this to all businesses. Am a fucking customer, my money isn't constant and its certainly not free.
Is it better to handle these seemingly very rare situations ex-ante or ex-post? The former means approval processes get even longer, strict and costly while the latter just means Valve will issue refunds when necessary and possibly blacklist the developers

Something like WarZ would be Greenlighted faster than LaMulana due to a base higher interest level in the theme, style, and genre. Does that mean that a game like WarZ deserves a spot above LaMulana? Purely popularity and financially wise it may, but in terms of quality it doesn't. It is just a sea of grey.

Plenty of other DL services for indie games to submit to and build a following on, which should enhance their chances for them getting Steam approval and reaching the mass audience. I still believe that audience interest should be a dominant factor in which games are given priority for Steam for 1st time developers, individual opinions on quality are always going to be variable. Project Greenlight can certainly do with tweaking, as can any service, but not getting immediate approval on Steam doesn't necessarily doom an indie game.

Is it better to handle these seemingly very rare situations ex-ante or ex-post? The former means approval processes get even longer, strict and costly while the latter just means Valve will issue refunds when necessary and possibly blacklist the developers

Its clear Valve have no real approval service.
Bigger issue is the customer service. If this were a small game, no name stealing or idea rip offs. Gaf might not 100% notice or the internet might not get behind it entirely.

What does that mean? People could get fucked and be alone.
Thats an issue.

You claimed the game was playable, you know that to be bollocks.
I don't think its hard to expect some sort of approval system.

Kuroyume

Banned
Man watching that Totalbiscuit video and this game looks horrible, lol how was this a best seller?
Are zombies that appealing?

Yes. It's only been on Steam for a day or two. People saw the name and the screens looked decent so they jumped on it not knowing much about it going in. Obviously bit many of them on the ass.

syllogism

Its clear Valve have no real approval service.
Bigger issue is the customer service. If this were a small game, no name stealing or idea rip offs. Gaf might not 100% notice or the internet might not get behind it entirely.

What does that mean? People could get fucked and be alone.
Thats an issue.

You claimed the game was playable, you know that to be bollocks.
I don't think its hard to expect some sort of approval system.

Why is it clear? They certainly do have an approval system, but arguably it could be better. What's the issue with the customer service? Have you tried to get a refund and failed? What do you do when a game you buy at retail has issues?

Why do you think the game is not playable? I'm not talking about game quality as that's completely irrelevant and actually a much bigger issue if you are worried about buying games that do not meet your expectations.

Plenty of other DL services for indie games to submit to and build a following on, which should enhance their chances for them getting Steam approval and reaching the mass audience. I still believe that audience interest should be a dominant factor in which games are given priority for Steam for 1st time developers, individual opinions on quality are always going to be variable. Project Greenlight can certainly do with tweaking, as can any service, but not getting immediate approval on Steam doesn't necessarily doom an indie game.

I think you need to be privy to sales stats via other portals, number of games on Greenlight, How long games have been completed for, closed marketing windows, and a number of other forces that contribute to the popularity state any game is currently in good and bad.

Besides, there are a ton of completed, highely rated games that are not getting Greenlit. If these games are sitting in studios of even a few people the per month burn these guys are incurring is pretty substantial. A single month can tally in the thousands of dollars easily.

TrutaS

"Please forgive me for you being wrong".

Not that Blizzard didn't do almost the same with their Arena PVP fiasco.

why would you not be against a system that lets a game like WarZ make the cut over LaMulana or Pinball Arcade, or one of the other indie darlings? I'm sorry that it seems to rub people the wrong way that I don't like Valve's approval process, but I only don't like it because good games I want to play aren't ending up on the service while detestable shit like this got on there. I came into this thread expecting to see that Valve had totally pulled the game. I didn't come in here expecting the game to still be listed on the store as coming, nor to see Valve saying seemingly positive things about the company.

'It's just PR speak' I'm being told, but why? How is it good public relations to publically claim you're going to work with detestable shits? How does that make Valve look better than shifting all the blame onto the devs and nuking them from Steam would have?

jediyoshi

Because people can still play the game. People who still want it would complain about it being removed. You raise many an obvious question here.

Because people can still play the game. People who still want it would complain about it being removed. You raise many an obvious question here.

They'd have their money back though. even if they complained there really wouldn't be an issue. 'sorry, the product was defective so we had to remove it until it was fixed. here is your money back in the meantime'. I can't see there being any issues with that. It wouldn't be Valve's fault that the game wasn't 'finished' yet would it? I'm not a blind Valve hater. I don't criticize their every move. I love their games, and I love their service, I just find their selection process utterly maddening, and stuff like this just rubs it in. My issues are legitimate, and they are things that legitimately bother me. I am not just looking for crap to attack Valve over, which is how it feels like I'm being treated in this thread for daring to criticize Valve on two or three occasions. Trust me, if LaMulana was on Steam instead of this crap, that would have made Valve and Steam look better. I'm not looking to see any harm come to Valve. I'm not happy because this shit blew up their face.

BiggNife

Don't really understand Valve hate towards this move. They screwed up by letting the devs publish the game with misleading information, they admit that, and now they're offering refunds. Yes, the game shouldn't have been released on steam in the first place, but they're doing the right thing by pulling the game and offering refunds. If this kind of situation were a common occurrence then I'd understand frustration towards valve, but it's not.

Meanwhile the War Z devs themselves are blaming consumers for their own incompetence. Fuck those guys.

Sentenza

not sure why it made it onto steam in the first place
I'm not sure why people are under the delusion that employees at Valve play and evaluate games on a meritocratic base before putting them on the store.

They don't, they put games on sales if they expect them to meet some demand.
Or, like in this case, if they have already some relationship with developers/publishers submitting a product.

Complaining for false advertising and asking for a refund are legitimate things, expecting the store to make its own evaluation of the product's quality on the other hand is silly.

syllogism

Over 6,000 currently playing WarZ, so it doesn't seem like everyone thinks that it's completely unplayable or defective and as such refunds should be issue on a case by case basis. It's also likely that even if their marketing had been truthful, the game would have enjoyed at least some modest success.

jediyoshi

They'd have their money back though. even if they complained there really wouldn't be an issue. 'sorry, the product was defective so we had to remove it until it was fixed. here is your money back in the meantime'. I can't see there being any issues with that. It wouldn't be Valve's fault that the game wasn't 'finished' yet would it?

The game is still running, people are still able to play, and assumedly the game would still be theirs when it gets its proper release. Unless the word you're looking for here isn't actually refund.

Top Bottom