• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarZ pulled from Steam (for now)

Cday

Banned
Complete overreaction. Valve is handling this situation properly. They pulled the game in a timely fashion and are offering refunds almost no-questions asked.

You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at Hammerpoint.

Valve gave them everything they needed to scam people down to control of the forums, they are just as liable. There shouldn't have been a need to offer refunds in the first place and now they are even letting on that this game could go on sale once again after the mythical features have been added. A lot of finished games don't even get approved by Steam and to have this happen and to give them another chance is just ridiculous.

Chavelo

Valve gave them everything they needed to scam people down to control of the forums, they are just as liable. There shouldn't have been a need to offer refunds in the first place and now they are even letting on that this game could go on sale once again after the mythical features have been added. A lot of finished games don't even get approved by Steam and to have this happen and to give them another chance is just ridiculous.

So what exactly should Valve have done to prevent that? Or what is the punishment that they deserve?

GODDAMN IT, WHERE'S MY GODDAMN PITCHFORK AND TORCH!?! I'M GONNA RIP GABEN A NEW ONE FOR GIVING SOMEONE THE CHANCE TO SCREW ME OVER!

jediyoshi

There shouldn't have been a need to offer refunds in the first place and now they are even letting on that this game could go on sale once again after the mythical features have been added.

No refunds? We've spotted the mole.

Sentenza

Valve gave them everything they needed to scam people down to control of the forums, they are just as liable.
Oh, please, stop saying stupid shit.
They give "control of the forums" to every single developer willing to offer employees for the task (relatively to the boards of their games, of course).

Beside, it still needs to be proven that we are actually talking about "scammers" here.
If exaggerated advertising and overpromises would automatically label someone as a scammer Peter Molyneux would be in jail since the century started.

There shouldn't have been a need to offer refunds in the first place
Which is another ridiculous statement.

and now they are even letting on that this game could go on sale once again after the mythical features have been added.
Because that's how it works in business: they reacted to people complaints but they aren't overreacting like 12 years old and callign the developers "fucking assholes" and swearing "they will never put a foot on their lawn again", if that's what you were expecting.

A lot of finished games don't even get approved by Steam
Which is irrelevant. Beside being most likely more appropriate than unfair more often than indie developers are willing to admit.

Darknight

I hope Valve kicks these guys out of their service. Those fakes and thieves dont deserve our money nor support. I hope this spreads throughout all the community and people stop buying their crap software.

Derrick01

Banned
What more can/would/should be done? Their game was pulled and refunds are being issued to those that want it.

And in a month or two it'll be back on Steam. The devs need to be sued or the guy in charge needs to be in jail for fraud or whatever they can come up with. Anything to find a semi-permanent solution.

Mahonay

Banned
so how big are the areas if it's not 100 to 400 square km? And how many players can play under one server?
About 72-75 square km. 50 players max for servers.

To be fair, with the only map being smaller, over 50 would be too much. I believe they tried 75 person servers for a short time but it turned in all out death match. Some of that has to do with their horrendous player spawn locations. People end up literally spawning on top of each other. Also sometimes you spawn in and just get shot to death immediately

Matches up with the rest of their handy work.
10 Square Kilometers
50 Players max (advertised as up to 100)

I shit you not.
Uh, pretty sure it's not 10?

Onemic

10 Square Kilometers
50 Players max (advertised as up to 100)

I shit you not.

Wow. And looks like from their updated store page info, they're still saying their map is over 100 square km.

About the Game
The War Z is a Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apcalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.

A Huge Persistent World: The War Z is an open world game. Our first map – “Colorado” is over 100sq. km in size.
Explore, Scavenge, Kill, Survive: You are one of the few survivors and must navigate the desolate countryside exploring cities and scavenging for items.
Play with Friends: Hundreds of Servers to Play on and soon you will be able to create Public or Private Servers allocating spots for Friends or Clans.
No Classes, No Levels, No Caps: Create your own survival campaign.

Key Features:
Two modes of Play: Normal and Hardcore
Combination of First-Person and Third Person Perspectives
Meld of PVE (Player versus Environment) and PVP (Player versus Player)
Safe Settlements where Players can Purchase, Sell and Store items as well a post notes for other players
40 to 100 Players per Game Server

Upcoming Features:
Launching December 2012 - January 2013

Leaderboards
Private Gameworlds and Stronghold servers rentals
Extensive list of building blocks to make your Stronghold server unique and build your own survival sanctuary

If exaggerated advertising and overpromises would automatically label someone as a scammer Peter Molyneux would be in jail since the century started.

They were flat out lies, and there is a different between what is said in an interview while a game is still in development and what is shown on a store front, with numbers and facts that are flat out incorrect, right next to a buy it now link.

Holy fuck beans.

From the post....

This gives every grid square on the Colorado map an area of 83,984 square metres, or 0.083984 square kilometres. All we have to do now is add up the number of squares on the map. Of course, a huge chunk of the map isn't actually playable, so I'll mark the area we're measuring in red.

Last I checked... a kilometer was 1,000 meters, not 1,000,000 meters... That means 83 meters per square.

That's 116 squares, which gives us a total of 9.7417 square kilometres.

116 x 84 = 9,744.... wait what?

Either way, his math is very very wrong... I don't have the game so I can't measure things out myself... but I wouldn't trust his 10k assessment.

(edit) oh wait... It's that damnable european comma instead of a decimal.

116 x .0083984 = 9.7~. That makes more sense.

Mahonay

Banned
From the post....

Last I checked... a kilometer was 1,000 meters, not 1,000,000 meters... That means 83 meters per square.

116 x 84 = 9,744.... wait what?

Either way, his math is very very wrong... I don't have the game so I can't measure things out myself... but I wouldn't trust his 10k assessment.

(edit) oh wait... It's that damnable european comma instead of a decimal.

116 x .0083984 = 9.7~. That makes more sense.
LOL. I think all of our brains are fried.

Rapstah

Square kilometres scale ten times slower. A square with sides of 10 metres contains 100 square metres. A square with sides of 1000 metres contains a million square metres.

Burekma

To provide some further mathematical insight, you need to distinguish between square kilometers and kilo square meters. In numbers thats:

one square kilometer = 1 (km)² = 1 * (k)² * (m)² = 1 * 1000² * (m)² = 1000000 (m)² = one million square meters

vs.

one kilo square meter = 1 k(m)² = 1 * k * (m)² = 1 * 1000 * (m)² = 1000 (m)² = one thousand square meters

Card Boy

Banned
Well it doesn't take math to know the game isn't 100 nor 75 square kilometers.

In the TotalBiscuit video you can see him covering the map very fast.

Mahonay

Banned
Well it doesn't take math to know the game isn't 100 nor 75 square kilometers.

In the TotalBiscuit video you can see him covering the map very fast.
While moving at a snail's pace.

Player movement in WarZ is so very painful to watch.

Haunted

Told you guys, Hammerpoint and Titov are done. Their next game will be under a different name with a different lead attached.

Again, hoping DayZ won't be affected by disillusioned people that got scammed by WarZ.

Alex

Shame, I was curious about it but it all seems like one big scam at this point. I really like the idea of survivalist games, would like to see more. Right now I'm just waiting for Day Z's standalone to solidify and more dev progress to go down on Project Zomboid.

Mahonay

Banned
Told you guys, Hammerpoint and Titov are done.

Their next game will be under a different name with a different lead attached.
I am curious what the other unannounced game is that they're working on. Big Rigs MMO?

Honestly I might instantly love them for that.
Shame, I was curious about it but it all seems like one big scam at this point. I really like the idea of survivalist games, would like to see more. Right now I'm just waiting for Day Z's standalone to solidify and more dev progress to go down on Project Zomboid.
On the bright side, DayZ standalone is looking like it will be way more fleshed out than initially planned according Rocket's most recent update. Pushing past the December release target was smart. That was an unrealistic goal.

I'm not surprised at all by the controversy and bullshit that is now surrounding this title, though I am a little shocked at how many people bought into this game without a second thought. You should always be wary of the games that show up quickly to stake a claim on new ground being tread by a previous title (in this case, DayZ), and this title especially has had a nasty stink to it from the very beginning. Perhaps I am just overly cautious from my years of watching this industry grow and seeing trends rise and fall, but the War Z struck the "cash grab" bell in my head right away. After the comments I read in the Gamespy interview I would stay very far away from this title until they start making some serious apologies.

Mahonay

Banned
I always assumed that was their end game plan once they'd taken enough sucker's money. I don't think they care about the bad PR.
They do have some semblance of a community. I don't think they're quite that careless and uncaring. I'd imagine servers will keep going for some time.

zomaha

after watching totalbiscuit's video, i'm glad this has happened. shame that they were able to get away with it to start.

Uh? "AFTER" is right now, and they just pulled out the game for the store.

and I didn't criticize them for pulling it. I criticized them for giving the devs a second chance when critically acclaimed games already released on other systems haven't been given a *first* chance, and I criticized them for not pulling the store page. Which is still up with the same claims that got them in trouble in the first place.

Why the hell is that page still there? Why haven't Valve taken it down?

Good to see Valve do the right thing here.

Hope the developer gets there shit in order because JESUS even EA isnt this underhanded about doing business

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, did they edit the store description? It doesn't mention multiple maps and actually mentions it only has one map now. Curiouser and Curiouser...

Derrick01

Banned
I wonder how their fanbase would react if they suddenly pulled the plug from the servers and ran off with their money.

Judging by the people who were still buying this when all of this shit was happening it'd be something like "huh I didn't see that coming".

War Z art identical to walking dead...

kQW1F.jpg

via from Kotaku

Holy shit, first glance I thought this was a joke on the previously mentioned WarInc/WarZ spot the similarities image, but then I realized they really did practically lift those shots wholesale. The Zynga comparison is extraordinarily valid.

remnant

Banned
Haha, so the endgame is Valve apologizes for "releasing a product too soon on accident," issues refunds if you want one, pulls product from being able to be purchased until a "new build from the developer" is ready, etc...

Now the real drama we may never know: Will Steam get money back it sent off to WarZ Devs for all the "refunded" purchases or is WarZ going to go shady and say "no way, our money now?"

It is their money. Valve should give to them.

It is their money. Valve should give to them.

I very much doubt that Valve gives the developers the profit from a game instantly. I could be wrong, anyone who has a game on steam feel free to correct me... but I always assumed it was a transfer of funds every X amount of time. If so, WarZ was only up a couple of days and thus may not have received ANY payments from steam yet. Thus, since the games had to be refunded there really wouldn't be any issue like that.

remnant

Banned
I very much doubt that Valve gives the developers the profit from a game instantly. I could be wrong, anyone who has a game on steam feel free to correct me... but I always assumed it was a transfer of funds every X amount of time. If so, WarZ was only up a couple of days and thus may not have received ANY payments from steam yet. Thus, since the games had to be refunded there really wouldn't be any issue like that.

Valve hasn't given them their money yet. However any money that is left over from refunds should be given to Hammerpoint. if you aren't asking for a refund than it's likely you enjoy the game. Frankly I think removing WarZ off the store is an overreaction. Just correct the information, make sure it's accurate and give people their refunds.

War Z art identical to walking dead...

kQW1F.jpg

via from Kotaku
Really Kotaku? How stupid can you be.

remnant

Banned
Erm, some of those images are exactly the same. EXACTLY the same. Why is Kotaku stupid?
That happens all the fucking time. Taking something for reference isn't that big a deal. They are a small studio in Russia, who cares if they referenced a screengrab from a zombie show?

This is just blatant click bait

Top Bottom