• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 announced (co-op, base, Tides writers, PC/XB1/PS4, $2.75M Fig funding)

I almost won't be surprised if this isn't funded. Divinity: OS was far, far better received than W2 and the KS for OS2 "only" made $2 million. And Shadowrun:HK saw it's KS perform worse than Shadowrun Returns. Inxile is essentially asking for WS3 to match what WS2 did. Yeah they get the investor aspect now but it's also on going to get less exposure by being on Fig so that may counterbalance.

Yeah, I share that concern.

To be fair, I didn't even trust Larian to pull off Divinity:OS' battle system and environmental interactions nearly as well as they did. And I'm probably the biggest pre-OS Larian fan on this board!

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't Larian the only company doing coop CRPGs?

That's a good point, re: Larian. I was actually the same; I had no expectations for them until I actually got into DOS, juuuust before it left Early Access. I mean, I truly adore Divinity 2 but that was all I had played by them pre-DOS. (And this is after having dismissed D2 years earlier when I played the demo. Feels bad, man.)

It only takes one game... but I still dunno if InXile is up to it.

And for co-op CRPGs, there was that Neverwinter game Sword Coast Legends recently. It technically counts!
I almost won't be surprised if this isn't funded. Divinity: OS was far, far better received than W2 and the KS for OS2 "only" made $2 million. And Shadowrun:HK saw it's KS perform worse than Shadowrun Returns. Inxile is essentially asking for WS3 to match what WS2 did. Yeah they get the investor aspect now but it's also on going to get less exposure by being on Fig so that may counterbalance.

It actually seems like they're really doubling down on Wasteland 3, giving it a much higher budget than one might think. 'Cause it's not just the KS, but someone mentioned that they're also putting millions of their own into it, seeking outside investors, plus the FIG thing--this adds up to a lot!

(Knowing nothing about game financing) I think it's worth keeping in mind that DOS and Shadowrun's sequels have the advantage of being much more iterative, in terms of both design and the development pipeline, versus W3's very ambitious pitch, which would explain the much higher pricetag imo.

Tempting, but why don't they focus on what they have in hands first?

Aren't they indie devs? How big is their team to have 3 major projects at once?

Please nail Torment & Bard's Tale first, then proceed with Wasteland 3.

Lime

Battletech made 3 million dollars

Durante

Someone's going to get real anal about genre definitions soon.
I don't thin kyou need to get "anal" to state that Blizzard and Gearbox never made a CRPG (that's why I used the "C" there). I guess Sword Coast Legends technically does count.

Bluth54

I'm looking forward to this, I enjoyed the Director's Cut of Wasteland 2 despite it being pretty rough around the edges. Hopefully Wasteland 3 will be able to smooth out those edges.

Mugen08

the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera

Granted I have avoided any contact with TToN so far in order to not spoil, but isn't this a bit early to claim?

Anyhow, agree that they should show off at least some systems in Bards Tale 4 as well and not only what appears to be (to a large extent) placeholder-artwork? $2.75M sounds a bit steep in today's crowdfunding climate but I'll probably chip in a little bit. Enjoyed WL2 but haven't finished it. Must be a dream come true for Brotherhood to work on WL3 art, but they also have their own unfinished and upcoming projects. Best of luck to all of them. As much as I like the idea of the games Inxile/Brotherhood create/d, and hence helped funding, I have yet to finish one.

People on RPG Codex consider Wasteland 2 superior to Pillars of Eternity which I would have not expected. I should honestly get around to playing the game at some point. I backed it on KS waaay back.

xrnzaaas

It's strange that they need to promote the game with those fictional screenshots. Wasn't W2 enough to convince Fallout fans to take interest in this series?

It's strange that they need to promote the game with those fictional screenshots. Wasn't W2 enough to convince Fallout fans to take interest in this series?

Do you know what prototype means?

I mean, yes, I think this strategy is.... weird.... but prototype screenshots are not something I think anyone should be concerned about.

People on RPG Codex consider Wasteland 2 superior to Pillars of Eternity which I would have not expected. I should honestly get around to playing the game at some point. I backed it on KS waaay back.

I seriously doubt whether the Codex will put up another fundraiser for inXile ever again though. Anyway I'm very skeptical about this, now they will have three high-profile KS projects running simultaneously.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Prototype Screenshots (Via Eurogamer)

Ctc_K3kWAAAuBCC.jpg:large

Ctc_LhuWcAAEt1-.jpg:large

Ctc_NPEWYAA7om8.jpg:large
Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I can't believe this game looks so goddamn good. Absolutely incredible visuals for a game in this genre.

P.S. Day 1, obviously.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
duckroll said:
Well... you see....
I kinda know that these screens is not real and the actual game won't be looking just as good, but one can hope, right?

Oh and, I've obviously played Fallout 1, 2 and Wasteland 2, so there's absolutely no need to convince me into buying the new game by showing these screens. I'll buy the new game no matter what, even if it looks the same as Wasteland 2.

Have FIG even managed to get past the legal issues holding them back from being a functioning entity?

I think it's close. Double Fine are getting ready to post a new update about Psychonauts 2, according to their community manager, and the exact day of it seems to be dependent on a response from the goverment. And I would think that the timing of this announcement indicates that something is happening.

Bl@de

Turn-based. Codex is all about turn-based :p

Not specific to Wasteland, but are we not at the point yet when companies who had a big chunk of crowdfunding investment have made enough money to fund their next game themselves? I mean, I get that maybe most of their potential audience is funding them upfront, but personally I'm not a fan of companies returning to crowdfunding over and over.

I'll wait and see on this one. I still have an essentially unplayed W2 DC that I got from a humble bundle.

The character system needs some streamlining. The number of redundant and confusing skills is ridiculous and makes it essentially impossible to design a party without some heavy wiki research or restarting a dozen times because you realised you gimped your build.

I took a look at the character design and nope'd out of it when I realised what a time sink it would be to create a decent character and understand all the systems. One day it might be redeemed from it's backlog purgatory, but I still haven't finished Witcher 3 and Shadowrun DF/HK, so...

JoduanER2

Wasteland 2 kicked my ass, I found it very challenging to the point I never finished it but the genre really could do with more games and I'm interested in what they change or improve with Wasteland 3.

You just need a guide for the build of your characters and thats it.

Yeah I'm in. Wasteland 2 was no Fallout 1, but it was a helluva lot better than Fallout 3 and 4.

Like others have said though, they need to rethink the way their character builds and combat work. The upside is that they already know where to improve the game to make a really great sequel.

Not specific to Wasteland, but are we not at the point yet when companies who had a big chunk of crowdfunding investment have made enough money to fund their next game themselves? I mean, I get that maybe most of their potential audience is funding them upfront, but personally I'm not a fan of companies returning to crowdfunding over and over.

They are the developer and the publisher. There's no one funding their games besides from crowdfunding.

Do you think devs like Naughty Dog will be able to make games and publish them without investors' help?

In indie scenes, gamers are the investors. Devs who also publish their games are not the norm (even AAA ones). Most devs are relying on publishers.

Lime

And Torment made 4 million dollars. What's your point?

Torment was in the beginning of Kickstarters, which wasn't what we were talking about. The poster was making the argument that crowdfunding is on the decline and used Shadowrun Hong Kong as evidence of this decline, which I then shot down with the example of Battletech reaching 3 million last October a year ago.

Crowdfunding is not necessarily in decline for all projects is what I'm saying.

duckroll

Torment was in the beginning of Kickstarters, which wasn't what we were talking about. The poster was making the argument that crowdfunding is on the decline and used Shadowrun Hong Kong as evidence of this decline, which I then shot down with the example of Battletech reaching 3 million last October a year ago.

Crowdfunding is not necessarily in decline for all projects is what I'm saying.

No, his point was that sequels to kickstarted games dipping back into the crowdfund well faces challenges. It's very specific. Battletech is not Shadowrun 4, or it would have made less. This is Wasteland 3, so it's a valid point.

mrpeabody

Great to see the Stasis guys getting work.

Pretty misleading to call your concept art "prototype screenshots". They aren't screenshots and there is no prototype.

Bluth54

Obsidian crowd funded Pillars of Eternity and their next game in the same style Tyranny isn't crowd funded. Obsidian does work on other games through.

Even if a dev doesn't have to crowdsource a sequel a lot them may choose to do so anyway since they're getting money well ahead of times and some people will pay for high tiers of rewards that are going to get that dev a lot more money then any copy of the game is going to.

Krabboss

I'm definitely interested to see them take a swing at making a co-op CRPG. Divinity Original Sin was fantastic so I'm down for more co-op games in the genre.

Fishook

I enjoyed Wasteland 2 the most out of new CRPG's, a definitely interested in helping funding it even though I don't do co-op. I really enjoyed Stasis as well. I have never used Fig so I am a bit sceptical, Will wait and see in a few days time,

Lime

No, his point was that sequels to kickstarted games dipping back into the crowdfund well faces challenges. It's very specific. Battletech is not Shadowrun 4, or it would have made less. This is Wasteland 3, so it's a valid point.

Roger, I don't disagree with that.

Lister

Banned

More proof they're all crazy in there.

I liked Wasteland 2 a lot, but it's no Pillars of Eternity.

More proof they're all crazy in there.

I liked Wasteland 2 a lot, but it's no Pillars of Eternity.

RPG Codex have an excellent taste in games. I recall seeing a list of their top 50 RPGs ever and it was basically my exact list with a few games I never played.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah...they already kickstarted two projects still being made. Now want to push a third on their own site. That seems a excess. I'm interested, but yeah.

Top Bottom