• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

MaLDo

Thanks, just opened a support case. Here's some pics of the issue. At this point in loading memory goes up and my PC is incredibly slow to respond that's why I took a pic with my cellphone cause windows key + print screen wasn't doing anything

9tvbTU8.jpg

88 mb and your memory is at 99% o_O

Thanks, just opened a support case. Here's some pics of the issue. At this point in loading memory goes up and my PC is incredibly slow to respond that's why I took a pic with my cellphone cause windows key + print screen wasn't doing anything

9tvbTU8.jpg

That's weird, maybe do a Malwarebyte scan. You might have some malware eating up your memory.

SliChillax

Wait, why does the task manager show that the game is using 88.8Mb of RAM?

88 mb and your memory is at 99% o_O

I know right? Maybe the memory mb is not updating correctly due to my PC freezing but it goes to 99% as soon as the game starts loading. CPU also goes to 99% at times. This has only happened to me with this game, in all my years gaming I've never had a problem like this.

That's weird, maybe do a Malwarebyte scan. You might have some malware eating up your memory.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

This one?

With everything maxed, I'm getting surprisingly ass frame rates on my i5-6500, 980ti combo (No OC whatsoever, obviously). I understand games evolve in technology but sub-30 is ridiculous at 1080p. I'm also suffering from the memory leak, although I was thinking that was just because I had 8 GB RAM.

Mad disappointing right after I loaded up Doom.

Yes my i7 5820k is running at 4.2ghz. I did a full scan with malware bytes and windows defender, nothing came up.

Maybe check temps? This game stresses CPUs hard! With CPU-hungry options activated I was getting the same temps in WD2 that I got in stress tests.

With everything maxed, I'm getting surprisingly ass frame rates on my i5-6500, 980ti combo (No OC whatsoever, obviously). I understand games evolve in technology but sub-30 is ridiculous at 1080p. I'm also suffering from the memory leak, although I was thinking that was just because I had 8 GB RAM.

Mad disappointing right after I loaded up Doom.

It's not your graphics card, it's your CPU. This game LOVES threads, the more the better.

SliChillax

Maybe check temps? This game stresses CPUs hard! With CPU-hungry options activated I was getting the same temps in WD2 that I got in stress tests.
Temps are fine, I can't even get into the game it freezes in the loading screen. I launched the game at 720p with everything on low, surely my 6 core i7 5820k shouldn't be a problem.

It's not your graphics card, it's your CPU. This game LOVES threads, the more the better.

Right, which is mad disappointing that the performance is this bad. I hope the slope isn't always going to be this slippery.

SliChillax

I fixed the game by locking the framerate. If you set the framerate to unlocked it freezes during loading for some reason. Now I can play fine.

Pretty well. In the short time I tested it, it does a decent job of reducing sub-pixel shimmer, and doesn't blur too much. Not quite as good as some TAA implementations that I've seen (and it is more costly), but far better than FXAA, and appreciate them adding it.

About a 6-8 fps hit over FXAA, though the regular SMAA option has 5-6 fps hit over FXAA as is, so the new option has about the same performance hit as enabling SMAA on my system (4770K/1080 @1440p).

ive now seen it and it kind of sucks. not nearly as good as quality solutions. far more blur and far less temporal stability. its 2017 and ubisoft still cant get taa right

renzolama

Just picked this up recently on my GTX 1060 / i7 4790k / Acer Predator 1080p and I'm having a really hard time hitting 60fps consistently at high/very-high settings. I'm using the exact settings specified at the Digital Foundry PC video and my framerate is sitting at around 10 below what they're showing in all the same environments. As far as I can tell I have exactly the same GPU/CPU combination (as well as relatively modern/fast 16GB RAM), so the only difference I can really spot would be that I'm running it with vsync disabled on a 144hz gsync monitor. I don't think that would cause any kind of reduction in framerate such as what I'm witnessing though. Any ideas?

For the first time since around launch I disabled RTSS and ran the game uncapped with everything off or at its lowest setting at 720p making it incredibly ugly with shadows that flicker in the distance (though apparently that might be a bug introduced by the last patch), even still the game bottlenecks the crap out of the poor old OC'd to 4.5GHz 2500K with 16GB RAM at 1866MHz and on a SSD. Staying above 60FPS is impossible.

jorimt

For the first time since around launch I disabled RTSS and ran the game uncapped with everything off or at its lowest setting at 720p making it incredibly ugly with shadows that flicker in the distance (though apparently that might be a bug introduced by the last patch), even still the game bottlenecks the crap out of the poor old OC'd to 4.5GHz 2500K with 16GB RAM at 1866MHz and on a SSD. Staying above 60FPS is impossible.

You're actually making the CPU work harder/bottleneck more with the above scenario.

To make the game less CPU dependent, you'd actually want to max all GPU dependent options out, and raise resolution as high as you could get with DSR, downsampling, in-game res-slider, or the like. Not that that would achieve a viable framerate either, but it would decrease CPU bottleneck and increase GPU usage.

You're actually making the CPU work harder/bottleneck more with the above scenario.

To make the game less CPU dependent, you'd actually want to max all GPU dependent options out, and raise resolution as high as you could get with DSR, downsampling, in-game res-slider, or the like. Not that that would achieve a viable framerate either, but it would decrease CPU bottleneck and increase GPU usage.

That was the point...

jorimt

even still the game bottlenecks the crap out of the poor old OC'd to 4.5GHz 2500K

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but I thought the above meant you were trying to lower settings to prevent CPU bottlenecking, when obviously that would only make things worse in such a CPU dependent game. E.g. with a weaker CPU/stronger GPU, you're more likely going to get closer to a 60 fps target with higher res/settings.

If you don't mean that, then I'm not sure I understand what you were actually trying to say. Forgive me for triggering a cyclical conversation...

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but I thought the above meant you were trying to lower settings to prevent CPU bottlenecking, when obviously that would only make things worse in such a CPU dependent game. E.g. with a weaker CPU/stronger GPU, you're more likely going to get closer to a 60 fps target with higher res/settings.

If you don't mean that, then I'm not sure I understand what you were actually trying to say. Forgive me for triggering a cyclical conversation...

No. Increasing settings will not get you higher fps

See my comment before that. I'm not suggesting it would. Talking about usage.

Staying above 60FPS is impossible.

I obviously wasn't trying to prevent a bottleneck (I already prevent the bottleneck by locking the frame rate at 36FPS) or I wouldn't have bothered with testing how the game currently runs with all the settings at their lowest at 720p. The goal was to see if a reasonably solid 60FPS was at all obtainable with a 2500K at 4.5GHz, it is not. Raising the settings back up to what I normally have them set at while keeping those I normally use that are the CPU hitters at their lowest wouldn't change much, it's why I've locked the game at a quarter of my refresh rate and just raised of the graphic settings (with 1.25 pixel density) to their highest since December.

jorimt

I see.

Since the game is so CPU dependent, even a really powerful GPU paired with that particular CPU probably isn't going to help much in that situation, yes.

While I can sustain 60+ the majority of the time (with key settings disabled), even with my 4770k/1080 @1440p, the game can drop to the low 40's in certain CPU-limited scenes.

I can't launch this game to save my life. It launches, I get the splash screen, sometimes I get a black screen for awhile then it just closes

Just got this game and I'm so disappointed at the PC optimization. I have a very powerful PC and I can't get this game to run at a stable 60fps for the life of me.

deadfolk

Just got this game and I'm so disappointed at the PC optimization. I have a very powerful PC and I can't get this game to run at a stable 60fps for the life of me.

Yup. At this point, I'm considering picking up a cheap PS4 copy and just playing it at 4K30.

Yup.

Picked it up for $20 awhile back as an Nvidia code all excited. 1080FE and 6700K and runs kinda like ass. Played for an hour and just turned it off.

Really disappointing

Paragon

Yup. At this point, I'm considering picking up a cheap PS4 copy and just playing it at 4K30.
It's 1800p checkerboarding on PS4 Pro, not 4K.
If you have a mid-range or better PC, 30 FPS should not be a difficult target to hit.
It's 60 that is a challenge.

Picked it up for $20 awhile back as an Nvidia code all excited. 1080FE and 6700K and runs kinda like ass. Played for an hour and just turned it off.
Really disappointing
It was the bundled game with my 1070, which wasn't a great idea.
I actually really like what I've played of it so far despite some issues with the aiming when using a mouse, but it really needs something 2-3x faster than a 1070 if you want to avoid checkerboard rendering or turning everything down to the point that the game stops looking so good.
Maybe the next-gen Titan/2080Ti will be able to handle it.

phant0m

Skull Canyon NUC
16 GB of RAM
GTX 1070 (eGPU)

40-65fps @ 1440p. Used GFE settings, which was a mix of Ultra/V.High

As long as it stays above 30 I'm happy, it's not twitchy anyway. Game is a looker too.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I can't launch this game to save my life. It launches, I get the splash screen, sometimes I get a black screen for awhile then it just closes

Same here. What's weird is, it ran fine the last time I played it months ago. I even deleted it and reinstalled.... it just crashes on startup.

This game murders my CPU, and it's not a slow one. Around 5% faster than a 7600k. It's the 7700HQ. It's hitting over 90% usage and I can't sustain 60 FPS no matter what setting I put it on. Temporal filtering doesn't do anything as my GPU(GTX 1060) is cruising along just fine on any graphics settings. Really strange. For some reason the game sparse v-sync setting feels very laggy. I tried the Nvidia half refresh setting in the driver and it felt so much better. I guess it's the way to go since I can't tolerate variation of frame rates.

Md Ray

This game murders my CPU, and it's not a slow one. Around 5% faster than a 7600k. It's the 7700HQ. It's hitting over 90% usage and I can't sustain 60 FPS no matter what setting I put it on. Temporal filtering doesn't do anything as my GPU(GTX 1060) is cruising along just fine on any graphics settings. Really strange. For some reason the game sparse v-sync setting feels very laggy. I tried the Nvidia half refresh setting in the driver and it felt so much better. I guess it's the way to go since I can't tolerate variation of frame rates.

Try 50Hz instead. Change refresh rate under 'Display' tab and enable Vsync (not sparse).

J_Viper

Have Ubisoft never gone back and fixed this port?

I have 7600k/1070 and 16 GB RAM, and I'm having massive frame-rate issues. The FPS is constantly shifting from 80 FPS to the 40s and 50s.

I even got Dishonored 2 running fine on my system, but this is giving me all sorts of trouble

Maybe I should just buy this on PS4 next time it's on sale. The game itself is awesome.

Paragon

Have Ubisoft never gone back and fixed this port?
I have 7600k/1070 and 16 GB RAM, and I'm having massive frame-rate issues. The FPS is constantly shifting from 80 FPS to the 40s and 50s.
There have been performance improvements over time - particularly around the Ryzen launch, but I think they said they have put out the final patch for the game now.
It's almost certainly your CPU, being an i5 with only 4 threads available. The main settings that hit the CPU are the Geometry and Extra Details settings, so I'd suggest turning those right down.
Don't expect to run the game maxed-out on a 1070 though, the Ultra settings or higher are extremely demanding too. Maybe try the "auto-detect" option.

Maybe I should just buy this on PS4 next time it's on sale. The game itself is awesome.
If it's dropping to the 40s and 50s, setting the output to Fullscreen and using the Sparse V-Sync setting should give you a locked 30.
There's no way that a system with an i5-7600K and GTX 1070 should be running the game worse than the PS4 - but that may only mean a properly locked to 30 with higher quality graphics, rather than running at 60.

Open-world games really make a strong case for variable refresh rate displays.
The framerate tends to be far more variable in open-world games than most others, and G-Sync/FreeSync really smooth things out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's almost certainly your CPU, being an i5 with only 4 threads available. The main settings that hit the CPU are the Geometry and Extra Details settings, so I'd suggest turning those right down.

Yeah, the game loves threads. Note, say, the ranking of the FX-9590:

w3_proz.png

J_Viper

Oddly enough, the auto-setting was Ultra lol. My PC melts when I try it though. I tried dropping the settings to High, but it's still not working

I'm not against 30 fps, the problem is any game running below 50 FPS feels like unplayable sludge on my G-Sync monitor.

Top Bottom