• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Leaks on Twitch

Disgraced

Oh so cringe is why everybody hates this? Come on, games have always been super cringey depictions of 'yoof culture'. Was there a similar reaction to the cringe-to-the-max NFS 'storylines'?
If by "cringey" you mean "the best thing ever."
I'm not saying it's a good trailer (it's really short in the first place) but people are already all up in arms about the main character. It looks better than this

aiden-pearce.jpg

First protagonist looked like a bored out hobo. He had no chops at all.
What are you talking about? Aiden had a great character design. Look, I can blur the image and you can still tell it's Aiden Pearce:

Z1PVCgJ.jpg

Thank fuck that this forum is a minority of the world at large. Some of you have the dullest ideas about games and designs. The first one had an interesting premise and world with a douche main character. It can only go up from there lol

Eh I liked it - a little bit cringe, maybe, but at least the tone is different from most other AAA games, taking a lot of inspiration from urban youth culture, which so very few games do. A huge criticism with the first Watch_Dogs was it took itself too seriously, so I'm not surprised to see them taking a different approach.
I don't think this is gonna take a different approach. I think it'll be the same seriousness as the last game. This trailer only tells us that we're now hanging with young people and starting revolutions and stuff. Where's my cyberspace?

HEWL YEH DAWG HACKING IS COOL YO, JOIN DA GANG

ugh...

What? Mr. Robot was a great show.

Mr Robot is a PHENOMENAL show!

I am saying that the first game was riffing on Person of Interest and failed hard, and based on this short teaser, this one's gonna riff on Mr Robot... and (maybe) fail hard.

BYDMYOH.gif

Evilkazzz

Banned
Mr Robot is a PHENOMENAL show!

I am saying that the first game was riffing on Person of Interest and failed hard, and based on this short teaser, this one's gonna riff on Mr Robot... and (maybe) fail hard.

gonna bet they're goign to do a much poorer version of mr robot's plot

I dont see the Mr. Robot influence from this 30 second trailer. Just that it involves relatively young people? The main character in Mr. Robot didn't actually want to do most of the big shit he did in the show (sort of) and was also a social outcast. This trailer seems to imply a sort of large force of young kids looking to take down the establishment in various ways and the MC looks like he's reveling in it.

I'm sure this isn't an original spin on hacker culture but I dont think Mr. Robot is what they're going for here. At least based on how it's being marketed.

I dont see the Mr. Robot influence from this 30 second trailer. Just that it involves relatively young people? The main character in Mr. Robot didn't actually want to do most of the big shit he did in the show (sort of) and was also a social outcast. This trailer seems to imply a sort of large force of young kids looking to take down the establishment in various ways and the MC looks like he's reveling in it.

I'm sure this isn't an original spin on hacker culture but I dont think Mr. Robot is what they're going for here. At least based on how it's being marketed.

I meant more in the "social change" aspect, where there seems to be some sort of revolutionary thinking at play. I get vibes of an fSociety type organization.

Alienfan

I don't think this is gonna take a different approach. I think it'll be the same seriousness as the last game. This trailer only tells us that we're now hanging with young people and starting revolutions and stuff. Where's my cyberspace?

You might be right, but the expressive motions/movements of what I presume to be the protagonist is already more promising than stiff, rigid, cheap tom cruise impersonator Aiden. This game could be flawed for completely different reasons (ie: the characters are too 'over the top'), but at least from what we've seen in the leaks, the game looks tonally different from the last.
When does the actual trailer come out?

It would be interesting if Aiden Pearce stopped being a hypocrite, became a straight up villainous asshole, and you got to murder him in a mission.

Fuck you, Aiden Pearce.

oSoLucky

While I agree that the ad could be generically placed in any number of products, I don't see how anyone can infer the game's direction from it, especially to call it out as being focus tested. That's an overly cynical view, and one that jumps to many conclusions imo. We'll find out soon.

Squire

Banned
You might be right, but the expressive motions/movements of what I presume to be the protagonist is already more promising than stiff, rigid, cheap tom cruise impersonator Aiden. This game could be flawed for completely different reasons (ie: the characters are too 'over the top'), but at least from what we've seen in the leaks, the game looks tonally different from the last.
When does the actual trailer come out?

9AM PST.

Disgraced

iIXCab1.jpg

Mr. Robot - fsociety

ii7sbpK.jpg

Watch Dogs 2 - DedSec (presumably)

*Both obviously take inspiration from Anonymous, so whether WD 2 really pulls from the former remains to be seen.

Alienous

It would be interesting if Aiden Pearce stopped being a hypocrite, became a straight up villainous asshole, and you got to murder him in a mission.

Fuck you, Aiden Pearce.

I'm hoping the protagonist of this just happens upon Aiden's phone. Because then in the mid-game when he tracks you down and asks for it back you could shoot him on the spot.

I'm into the song choice... if the reveal trailer uses Nerd's Spaz and then launch trailer uses Justice's Stress, I'm in lol

The actual content of the trailer, not so sure... but look at it this way. At least it's invoking a reaction. After Aiden's complete 'meh' -ness, I'm open to anything that at least shows a spark of... anything ;p

regardless it's cool or groan inducing, at least it's something. i'll take that sort of all-or-nothing gamble on character (or i suppose theme) appeal over the empty tin can that was aiden.

so many angry people. i liked the first, i wanna see more !

I'm sorry if I come off so negative.

The first game's narrative really ticked me off. So terrible. One of the worst narratives I've had to sit through with one of the shittiest protagonists of the last few years. It was crappy that I have very little faith in Ubi to pull a complete turnaround for this one.

But I have an open mind.

this game is meant to be out this year, right? weird that the trailer is CG only, but i guess it's just a short preroll ad

anyway this tonally looked A LOT like the first game. and if that hat guy is aiden's replacement, it doesn't look like they strayed too far

i hope there's gameplay at E3

It's too bad that they killed off one of the more compelling characters in WD in one of the most brain-dead most absurd death scenes ever. Clara could have been a cooler protagonist than Aiden, cause she had, you know... personality.

Untitled-2.jpg

N30RYU

Is good that Ubi doesn't want to fool us again with a "gameplay
later to be downgraded" trailer but a CG one instead.

oSoLucky

Can someone explain to me what exactly is hipster about this? None if the hipsters I've ever known were particularly anarchist, but maybe I'm missing something. The protagonist doesn't dress like one(he dresses like a normal person), there were some presumed gang members, a party/club/rave and people hanging out, then an anti-system/anarchist vibe at the end. I don't get it.

Can't say anything caught my attention. I'll wait until the full trailer + their inevitable E3 demo before I completely write it off.

I don't see how anyone can infer the game's direction from it, especially to call it out as being focus tested. That's an overly cynical view, and one that jumps to many conclusions imo. We'll find out soon.

I get what you're saying, but given their track record I don't really see much of a reason to give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt here. That probably is a cynical way of looking at things sure, but I don't think I'm really jumping to conclusions so much as taking Ubisoft's business as usual into consideration. I'm still going to keep up with the game because I desperately want it to be something worth playing, I love games that have hacking elements; but this isn't a good first impression, especially when you consider the broader context.

The new protagonist at least looks like he has a personality. So that's something I guess.

Trailer was hot trash though. Absolutely not enticing at all.

Squire

Banned
I see they followed through on their promise to give the game a new tone.

I'm pretty shocked at the posts saying this looks just like WD1. Even thirty seconds (the song choice especially) makes it clear this is different, for better or worse.

Guess it's hard to get a real grasp on it from just that teaser but from what's there I'm not sold on the direction they're taking it.

I kind of liked the tone of the original Watch Dogs and this just seems to be going completely away from that. Though again, it's a short teaser so I'll wait to see more.

Coffinhal

Is this here where we can literally shit in the mouth of Ubisoft's last game by just seeing one leak artwork and a 240p trailer with obviously no gameplay in it ?

You guys never disappoint on a Ubisoft thread. A real contest to see who will have the most agressive post.

I believe the best parts are those which are based on a Mr.Robot comparison just because it is a recent TV show and WD2 will have a young skinny hacker protagonist.

The new protagonist at least looks like he has a personality. So that's something I guess.

Judging a personality by how the guy or the girl looks is interesting.

AmyS

That was a terrible trailer.

Chicago was a much better setting for the main idea behind Watch Dogs.

Orpheum

maybe we have to recruit fellow hackers like in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and build a gigantic hacker army who all interfere with their hacking....on a serious note, the trailer did nothing for me, it didn't grab my attention at all. Maybe that's going to change with the gameplay reveal, we'll see

Top Bottom