• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 Trailer Leaks on Twitch

Trace

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen a 30 second spot that I've liked, it'd be interesting to see the full trailer. Didn't look too bad to me, less "edgy" than the first one at least.

So, looking more into the tone and possible gameplay elements the CG is getting at, we've got gangs, the protagonist being a leader(?) of Dedsec, a bike chase across the Golden Gate, parkour across rooftops, a warehouse/party/safehouse getting busted by super-SWAT, and drones dropping off some probably pilfered heavy goods onto a SoMa rooftop.

Not much there to go on, but it works as a taste. Still no idea what to expect from a proper gameplay demo.

Am very curious to how they change up the hacking and what new ideas they have for the multiplayer. There seemed to be a lot more ambition in the original Watch_Dogs reveal than we saw in the final game. Now would be the time to show where this premise can go.

Sojgat

Not much to take away from this trailer. It maybe looks like there's going to be a bigger emphasis on the parkour this time. Hopefully they don't mess with the controls too much.

Toki767

If I didn't already know this game was in San Francisco before on that trailer, I still wouldn't have known after watching it.

Vaga

That YOU didn't ask for it doesn't mean that nobody did.

giphy.gif

I never asked for this

Kyonashi

I'm gonna be 1000% honest here

I liked it because the protagonist is black

Looks amazing Ubisoft, GOTY material even

Hack Excellence

Honestly this is the most interesting part to me - feels like a series where a black protag would make so much sense. Having a bland white guy doesn't really scream 'rebellion of the oppressed' which seems to be the vibe they're going for.

It's like that bullshit argument of 'tokenism' ("Why shoehorn in a woman or a person of colour?"), games don't need a reason to not have a white guy in the main role, but here we have a perfect example of a title where it makes more narrative and contemporary sense to have a black protagonist and I bet those people would still take issue.

Interested to see more about the protag's backstory and heritage, though the rest of the trailer didn't do much for me, feels a bit like Watch Dogs x Sunset Overdrive with the OTT-nature removed.

Illucio

Banned
I see edgy being thrown around but what does that even mean
Edgy is being dangerous and doing risky moves that people are attracted too because it's interesting and different, wishing that they want to imitate that dangerous attitude or behavior because they like the atmosphere and social presence it creates.

It's a hard concept to grasp, but most people use the term to make fun of attempts at trying to be modern and relate to groups of people in order to appeal to that audience while the people marketing don't have a clear grasp of what they're trying to make and sell in order to make a profit.

So basically it's trying too hard to fit in, but instead of a person it's a product. It makes to what your trying to sell feel out of place and fake. When your audience wants a meaningful realistic experience with the idea companies are trying to sell us on.

Mik2121

If I didn't already know this game was in San Francisco before on that trailer, I still wouldn't have known after watching it.

I didn't know it was set in San Francisco and I learnt about that fact after 2 secs into the ad. What are you talking about.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
still looking forward to it but i'll wait until i see some actual gameplay before getting too excited. and as always there will be plenty of people ready to hate on this game no matter what. the first game wasn't amazing but still rather enjoyed it. if you didn't like it then why are you even in here?

Aside from the bridge and I guess City Hall at the end, I don't even recognize the city.

you recognised the bridge but still didn't click it was san francisco? ok

Iconic horse head ? Really hard to grasp what the tone of the game will be , based on that music and brief snippets there going for a cool hip younger hacker group which I'm not sold on yet.

But I'll wait to see a real gameplay trailer before I'm fully sold / not sold . Not a great first impression for me so far though (and I was hyped yesterday).

Truly glad it's breaking from the broody vibe of the original. Really want to see some gameplay to see if the more upbeat mood is conveyed there as well... If it is, I might just be excited for this.

I really like the premise of a hacker-turned-vigilante in an open world game. Unfortunately, hacker characters seem to easily fall into a hole of being written in a hokey way, and it's definitely hard to convey mastery of computer software as being powerful or menacing. Aiden felt like he was a miserable amalgamation of some of the worst hacker tropes put together. I really appreciate how this character seems to really kind of get a kick out of whatever it is he's doing with his talents, and hope the writing carries a sense of charisma and joyfulness as well. But, the actual gameplay activities of Watch Dogs were rather lacking in entertainment value for me as well, so there needs to be more than just contextual improvement, I think... I suspect Ubisoft is not up to task and will simply be pursuing the same old tower-based open world formula, where at best the mechanics are at least functional but not fun, but I'd really love to be proven wrong.

Saw it, and am rather surprised by the reaction

I thought [even though its CG] it looks like it has much more personality than the original.

The vitriol towards a perceived appeal to youth culture never stops surprising me.

What is it about this particular marketing angle that upsets people so much?

It's fine if you don't personally care for the tone they're going for, but this much negativity seems excessive.

The vitriol towards a perceived appeal to youth culture never stops surprising me.

It's fine if you don't personally care for the tone they're going for, but this much negativity seems excessive.
Is it that surprising? This game has a lot to prove, everything will be scrutinized to hell and back

Makikou

IDK looks interesting, people just hate for hating I think (Until we really see facts and gameplay about the game).

Looked ok I guess.More jumping about I see,or parkour as the young uns call it.I have a little feeling this one may be better received than the 1st...I may be well off though

R00bot

Saw it, and am rather surprised by the reaction

I thought [even though its CG] it looks like it has much more personality than the original.

I agree with this. It looks like they're taking influence from actual hacking groups and activist groups. It could be a really interesting game if it's done right, and the themes seem like they could be just right to provoke thought about our current society. Let's just hope the game is good, because everything I saw in that trailer (which showed 0 gameplay) looked good.

KazenY2J

Watch Dogs has a pretty bad rep around here in itself to begin with.

Ashtar

Thank You

Wow this was what you guys are in here complaining about? first off it's 30 seconds, second of all.... what's the problem? I was really expected it to be terrible after all these posts but I'm pretty sure regardless of what was shown the majority of people posting here would hate it just because it has watch dog name and is made by ubi soft.
Hard to really judge anything off CG/ non gameplay 30 seconds but it looks interesting.

Hopefully not another revenge story, less focus on guns, more hacking options and more iconic beanies.

I really hope this isn't all that waits for us at 12pm

Jobbs

Banned
I rolled my eyes through the entire thing, but I don't know if I represent everyone. If this is your thing you do you.

Nice song choice, interesting tone but pretty awful trailer.
At least the main protagonist isn't Aiden but I'm not into the whole I'm young hipster hacker dude thing..Anyways I played WD on mute by the end, I see a similar thing happening here.

I absolutely trust Ubi to make the most awful cringe worthy campaign with this, I can't remember the last game of theirs that had a decent story apart from FC3 and FC4.

I rolled my eyes through the entire thing, but I don't know if I represent everyone. If this is your thing you do you.

Not sure if it's just my age (35) but I just hate the youth vibe they are going for. I don't want to play as a member of lizard squad .

I actually loved the first games tone , it just didn't tackle issues as much as it could have but I loved the sex trafficking story they started to unveil in the first one for example . Being a vigilante and bringing down these scumbags in society .

This one "appears" to be going for a much younger audience . But as I said above I won't write t off completely just yet . I hope the reveal shows some actual gameplay to alleviate my fears .

Was a day 1 buyer yesterday but I will wait and see now .

Looks ok I guess, different, but ok. The most important thing is that they keep the general direction of game mechanics and improve on them, and build a nice game world. That's what I liked about the first game.

I also hope that they are trying to distance themselves a bit from the anonymous movement with their stupid guy fawkes masks and do their own thing. Because those guys are cringeworthy as hell.

Top Bottom