• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

Is framerate ever really locked, even vsync'd? Stable should be the preferred word I think. 59-60 back and forth then hit a 54 back to 60 isn't locked. The PC won't allow it to go over 60 so you can only see the lower frames. Turn it off and you're in the hundreds.
It almost never is. I don't know if its a new thing but CoD is considered by everyone a 60 fps game although its never locked. It fluctuates like msany other 60 fps games. That's not to say locked 60 fps doesn't exist, is just rare.Your choice of word stable is a perfect way to describe all this. To me TR:DE, BF4, killzone online, forza 5, etc are all 60 fps.

60fps open world game on consoles? I'll believe it when I see it.

Seeing that Infamous pulled off a framrate between 30 and 50 with absolutely stunning graphics and effects I'd say a game that looks like Watchdogs could very well be 60FPS on Ps4.
On the other hand, Watchdogs has a lot going on in terms of non graphical calculation, so while Infamous looks defnitely better, that doesn't mean its more demanding for the hardware than Watchdogs.

Awntawn

All the posts in this thread. Why is it so hard to believe that a cross-gen game that looks visually downgraded to hell and back again can hit 60fps?

Nzyme32

Clearly native 720p.

Edit: people said the same with DK CR Tropical Freeze, screens clearly looked 720p and it turned out to be 720p.

100% of the released footage (videos and screenshots) has been 720p.

Cheers for the info. No idea what's going on with the reporting then.

On topic, I don't really see a reason why Watch Dogs can't be 60fps, but I'd always be a bit sceptical of marketing type stuff. I don't think anyone will know for sure till it's out

Yoday

Just make it optional!

Tomb Raider stays above 50fps a GOOD deal of the time, and stays at 60fps at others, why scrap that 20frames just because it can't show another 10?

Also, not all portions of the game is as demanding as some set-pieces and busy moments and can stay at 60fps, why scrap all those goodness just because it cannot sustain it 100% of the time?

TLDR: Some people prefer 45-50fps with the possibility of 60fps, over an always-30fps experience. Make that an option.
Yep, and I am one of them. I will take an unlocked frame rate over a locked 30 any day as long as it isn't constantly jumping around by huge amounts. I really hope unlocked with the option to lock it becomes standard this gen.

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't believe it unless Sony's ICE team have been down to Ubisoft personally helping them optimise.

"optimize" = dumbing down effects. Which is what would have happenend if they manage 60 FPS.

Pretty sure this is just unlocked 30 FPS. They also claim BF4 is 60 FPS, but it averages 50 and drops into the 30's on occasion.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Open world game with 100s of unique NPCs? I don't see it. The CPU in the PS4 sucks for open world games.

GavinUK86

There's no way it'll be a locked 60 so my guess is that it's unlocked like Infamous: Second Son and Sony are just using the "60fps" moniker as marketing spiel.

KORNdoggy

If Ubi couldn't get Ass's Creed at 60fps I highly doubt this will be. I'd believe 1080p 30fps.

Thing is, tech analysis suggests they could have gone well beyond 30, since the frame-rate for AC4 was rock solid. Maybe they've just unshackled the beast?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well... If true, ill have to eat some crow.
that probably won't happen :p still doubt it will be 60fps
7574FEDA-28F2-4ADE-A7D5-ABCA44AFAEF7.jpg

OneUh8

I doubt it. I expect it to hover in the 40-60fps range. Although I thought it was going to be locked at 30. I hope thy give us an option like infamous.

I assume this means unlocked and fluctuating; which I'm perfectly fine with. Had no frame rate issues in TR,SS, or KZ. I understand that some are sensitive to fluctuating frames; I'm just glad that I'm not.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Locking a game down to 30fps when it can run upto 60fps should be an option you can turn on (but be default to off).

I have no problem with unlocked > 30fps.

Ploid 3.0

Those that made this an issue brought this upon themselves. Enjoy your jargon, technicality, and asterisks.

The console, and game developers? 1080p should be standard this gen, not hitting 60fps I can understand especially for open world. On PC I don't like playing under native resolution and I rarely deal with 30fps and I don't have a super gaming PC. On console, especially last gen I have to deal with it, but this new gen at least they should aim for 1080p so the games don't look bad on a 1080p tv. Under 1080p and the game starts having image quality problems. Add in less graphical features to hide it, since you can't spare much hence the sub 1080p, and it can become jarring.

nOoblet16

It almost never is. I don't know if its a new thing but CoD is considered by everyone a 60 fps game although its never locked. It fluctuates like msany other 60 fps games. That's not to say locked 60 fps doesn't exist, is just rare.Your choice of word stable is a perfect way to describe all this. To me TR:DE, BF4, killzone online, forza 5, etc are all 60 fps.

Black Ops 2 was pretty much locked 60FPS for MP though.

Nozem

If Watch Dogs on PS4 is indeed 1080p60, what are your guesses for the Xbox One version? 900p60? 720p60? 1080pShitty?

If this is right, this game's sales are going to be even more heavily slanted towards the PS4 version. I'm assuming that the Bone version at this point isn't 1080p 60fps. In fact, going by past precedent, I'm sure as hell it won't be.

If this is 60fps, would be we expecting a Tomb Raider-like framerate? If so, I'm OK with that, Tomb Raider was great to play (I'm happy with locked 30, too, like with Black Flag).
If it's like TR:DE on PS4 that's great with me too. Loved it, it's great when it hits 60 and it's not really that big of a deal when it doesn't.

belmonkey

Isn't this the reason for GPU compute?

I think that's going to be used more a bit later in the future. Is that only supposed to remove the CPU bottleneck, or does it benefit GPU performance at all? I think so far when it comes to PS4 games that are light on the CPU (Tomb Raider, Trials fusion, I think BF4 SP) it gets better use of the GPU's power (7850-7870), but games that need more CPU power don't do as well as they could; I'm guessing GPU compute would aim to fix that?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
It wont be 1080p60 constantly. Maybe 30+ unlocked but I seriously doubt it can achieve 60fps locked.

DrkSage

Xbox One? Ummm, power of the cloud?? Anything is possible.

The ps4 would probably melt and if that's the case then the xbox ones cloud would fall so hard they will have to make part 2 of the chicken little movie.

im joking, please have mercy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom