• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The ps4 would probably melt and if that's the case then the xbox ones cloud would fall so hard they will have to make part 2 of the chicken little movie.

im joking, please have mercy

Lol. Cloud conspiracy theory has never been proven to be accurate.

I'd say, if the majority of the games out there are 30FPS, this one shall be as well. I hope the lock it at 30 if so. I can't see with all that's going on in game and the complexity of the environment, that 60 is going to happen.

The console, and game developers? 1080p should be standard this gen, not hitting 60fps I can understand especially for open world. On PC I don't like playing under native resolution and I rarely deal with 30fps and I don't have a super gaming PC. On console, especially last gen I have to deal with it, but this new gen at least they should aim for 1080p so the games don't look bad on a 1080p tv. Under 1080p and the game starts having image quality problems. Add in less graphical features to hide it, since you can't spare much hence the sub 1080p, and it can become jarring.

Uh... you. And you are a prime example of what I'm talking about. By taking about standards, you'll increasingly get more marketing bollocks. Killzone, for example, wasn't pure 1080p in multiplayer. So there's an caveat already. No way publishers are going to let up on graphical fidelity, because that's what sells to the masses. But ever since 720pgate, you lot have been marketed to just as much as the Mountain Dew-drinking bros.

If Watch Dogs on PS4 is indeed 1080p60, what are your guesses for the Xbox One version? 900p60? 720p60? 1080pShitty?

900p 60 fps would be reasonable. The CPU in both consoles is the same so you only need to cut down GPU load to achieve 60 fps (and this done by lowering the resolution to 900p).

edit:
That's without taking into account whether the frame buffer fits into the ESRAM though. If it fits they might also achieve 1080p 60 fps by removing or reducing some effects/anti-aliasing/shadows or the like.

Varth

Not really believing that, since preview codes were missing some final effects specifically to ensure "they ran better". Prob unlocked north of 30s. Also note that review codes seem to be coming with some day 1 patch preinstalled, and you remember that ACIV one was pretty important on that side. Hope it's a lock for fps if needed. Hate judder with a Passion.

Watch dogs features wind technology of some sort. How do you think that will affect the game and will it only be for eye candy?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yep, and I am one of them. I will take an unlocked frame rate over a locked 30 any day as long as it isn't constantly jumping around by huge amounts. I really hope unlocked with the option to lock it becomes standard this gen.
I do too. It was fantastic in TR:DF, and great in KZ and Infamous. I tried the latter two with 30fps patch, and no thanks. There s few games where if appreciate locked 30fps but that would only be for the kind of artsy movie look they go for, like Ico and possibly TLOU.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Watch dogs features wind technology of some sort. How do you think that will affect the game and will it only be for eye candy?

"Take the rain, for example. When the sky starts to open up, civilians will pull out umbrellas. The lights reflect off wet surfaces. We can see the wind shifting the direction of the rain and blowing debris around. Even leaves and trash on the ground will begin to appear damp and weighted down by moisture. These small but significant details lend an unparalleled level of immersion to Watch Dogs."

psychotron

I'm ok with unlocked, I'm more worried about micro freezes when textures load. This really soured infamous for me, and Sucker Punch admitting it but not trying to fix it was a disappointment.

Ploid 3.0

Uh... you. And you are a prime example of what I'm talking about. By taking about standards, you'll increasingly get more marketing bollocks. Killzone, for example, wasn't pure 1080p in multiplayer. So there's an caveat already. No way publishers are going to let up on graphical fidelity, because that's what sells to the masses. But ever since 720pgate, you lot have been marketed to just as much as the Mountain Dew-drinking bros.

1080p shouldn't be that hard to hit. If they can't it's their problem if they let their game suffer for it. The whole thing about the so called 720p gate is that it was a measure of how weak or capable the console was. A pc graphics card have is measured with benchmarks, consoles don't have benchmarks so they are measured in other ways. Right now PS4 seems fine hitting 1080p as it should, the only reason xbox one seem to have a problem is the esram. Game devs may be utilizing it badly, Microsoft will have to educate them on how to use it the way they intended or most likely improve the development tools.

When last gen started I was barely at 720p displays, now it's 1080p everywhere. The resolution for blu rays. The console makers knew darn well they were making consoles that should at least be doing 1080p standard.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeah I find this hard to believe. It's either a typo or just unlocked, hits 60 when you're looking at the ground or the sky.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
There is no way the game is running at 60FPS. They probably meant to flaunt 1080p vs sub 1080p for the xbone and someone added the 60fps thing by mistake.

Ubisoft doesn't do open-world titles at 60 FPS.

Jedi2016

On the one hand, the statement is most likely intentional. They wouldn't have bothered even mentioning the framerate unless it was worth bragging about. The whole "typo" argument doesn't make sense because who in the hell actually advertises that their game runs at 30fps? No, whoever wrote that banner meant to put 60fps there.

On the other hand, I find it extremely unlikely that they've suddenly cracked the code on PS4 to double their framerate. While I'd like to see WD at 60fps as much as the next guy, I'd be really surprised if it even came close. I think it's more likely they're using an uncapped framerate, a la Infamous, and someone in marketing got a little carried away with what that actually meant.

Gurish

I'm ok with unlocked, I'm more worried about micro freezes when textures load. This really soured infamous for me, and Sucker Punch admitting it but not trying to fix it was a disappointment.

Yea unlocked doesn't bother me at all and i prefer to play that way, as long as there are no freezes like you said.

Problem is most ppl doesn't even notice those freezes and I'm afraid developers wouldn't bother just like Sucker Punch :(

On the one hand, the statement is most likely intentional. They wouldn't have bothered even mentioning the framerate unless it was worth bragging about. The whole "typo" argument doesn't make sense because who in the hell actually advertises that their game runs at 30fps? No, whoever wrote that banner meant to put 60fps there.

On the other hand, I find it extremely unlikely that they've suddenly cracked the code on PS4 to double their framerate. While I'd like to see WD at 60fps as much as the next guy, I'd be really surprised if it even came close. I think it's more likely they're using an uncapped framerate, a la Infamous, and someone in marketing got a little carried away with what that actually meant.

wasn't there an article saying they could go for higher framerate on ps4 but decided they would lock it at 30 for sake of parity? i think i remember reading something like that

gruenel

Maybe they unlocked the dGPU in the PS4?

In all seriousness, I think this is some kind of miscommunication between the developers and the PR team. I just can't imagine this game being 60 FPS on consoles.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah the same Ubi who has been unable to port AC 4 at 60 fps, of course. I would be surprise if not suffer of tearing at 30 fps.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Yeah the same Ubi who has been unable to port AC 4 at 60 fps, of course. I would be surprise if not suffer of tearing at 30 fps.

That's not fair Watch Dogs devs had 6 more months to work on the engine than AC4

EvB

Uh... you. And you are a prime example of what I'm talking about. By taking about standards, you'll increasingly get more marketing bollocks. Killzone, for example, wasn't pure 1080p in multiplayer. So there's an caveat already. No way publishers are going to let up on graphical fidelity, because that's what sells to the masses. But ever since 720pgate, you lot have been marketed to just as much as the
Mountain Dew-drinking bros.

Yep, in 2014 '60fps' is marketing talk for anything more than 30fps.
All of the 'gamers' including people who should know better are drinking it right down.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
EURRAvQ.png

Begaria

It's probably unlocked, and then Ubisoft will get spammed with twitter/facebook messages to add a 30 FPS locked feature like every other unlocked frame rate game.

Initially they said that ACIV would be 60fps on next-gen consoles so maybe they just ran out of time for optimisation but have had the time with this.

Isn't that why people were excited for the locked 30 fps patch?

Yeah. Unlocked frame-rates suck so much. What's the point in unlocking the frame rate so that you have to look at the sky to get a smooth frame rate?

It's way better to lock it down to 30 if they can't achieve 60 99% of the time because then at least it won't fluctuate.

I feel like Sony is pressuring developers to use unlocked frame rates so that they can flex their muscles like "look at how powerful our system is compared to the competition" rather than going for a more consistent experience.

I feel like Sony is pressuring developers to use unlocked frame rates so that they can flex their muscles like "look at how powerful our system is compared to the competition" rather than going for a more consistent experience.

There's nothing wrong with forcing an unlocked frame rate option as long as they aren't forbidding a capped frame rate option.

beril

most likely a marketing guy writing down buzzwords with no actual knowledge or understanding of the technical aspect, and probably thinks all PS4 games are automatically 1080p and 60 fps because Shahid said so

Kinthalis

Banned
No it isn't. Optimise is making code more efficient so that the same effects take up less processing power. If optimisation meant "dumbing down effects" games would look worse as time went on.

Optimizaiton involves BOTH. Imprving code efficiency (which invariably runs into dimnishing returns) AND modifying asset quality, effects quality, particle counts even modifying level design and LOD's in order to fit within a certain performance envelope.

I remember when someone at IGN claimed that MGS4 ran at 60FPS before it came out, lol

This was when all those journos were flown out to Konami's lair in Japan to play it.

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
There are two ways I believe this to be feasible...

1) They turn down the draw distance
2) A variable framerate.

I really don't think it's going to be a the latter...

Yep, in 2014 '60fps' is marketing talk for anything more than 30fps.
All of the 'gamers' including people who should know better are drinking it right down.
Yep, in 2014 any game that runs at 60 for the most parts but has some dips whenever things get really crazy is not actually 60FPS.

Sceptical but I don't know, I'm sure it could be done with some natty programming. Probably a Tomb Raider variable 60FPS as people have been saying but solid 60 would be amazing.

I'll attempt optimism for a change until someone officially addresses it.

Hip Hop

A game that can't be locked at 60fps shouldn't be touted at 60fps.

What a spin that would be coming from Sony.

Will wait and see how it goes.

Unlocked frame rates are like saying "my car goes 120mph". It obviously doesn't always go 120mph, but it CAN!

If the game runs at 30fps most of the time, then you look at the sky and it jumps up to 60, are you suddenly going to be like "this is the best game ever! I'm gonna run around looking at the sky to enjoy this silky smooth frame rate!"... no you're not. So if they lock it at 30fps, you'll be walking around and if you happen to look at the sky, nothing will change, and you can go back to what you were doing.

Unlocked frame rates just do not make any sense to me. It doesn't make the game any better, and to me, it makes the game noticeably worse because the frame rate switch is distracting.

How would you like it if you were playing a game in 1080p and during complex scenes, it dropped down to 480p? That's what a fluctuating frame rate seems like to me.

Ploid 3.0

Checks google to see if this game is out before E3. (smells like E3 season)

It would be pretty impressive if it really is 60fps stable. The game don't have the PC WD's graphics, PS4 is said to be medium or low PC settings iirc.

Edit: Oh poop, it's out before E3. I guess that's a good thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom