• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs specs revealed - 8 core CPU recommended

mhayze

Nope, WD is an Nvidia game.

Oh. Well Ubisoft is dumb then. What are the chances this will be a game where HT actually makes a difference?

What are the chances? Quite good.

It doesn't take much in a heavily threaded app to show a SMT benefit. Unlike an SMT Core i7 processor, the CPUs of the Xbox One and PS4 actually have 8 cores (arguably) so they should benefit from heavily threaded code, which in turn will also benefit intel Core i7/SMT processors.

Akai__

What are the chances, that Nvidia includes Watch Dogs with their GPU's? I mean, it is a Nvidia game, right?

Furyous

I'm hoping for a mac compatible version of this game at some point. At least release a version of this that works with a retina macbook pro.

Is there a version of that steam hardware survey that works on mobile devices without flash?

Remember when PC games were optimized for average consumers PCs?

um..

Now that I think about it, I don't think they ever were.

Cyriades

My angus is thoroughly peppered

nd7kyLP.png

Ready

409163412.jpg

BPoole

I'll be pretty pissed if this game ends up as poorly optimized as Assassin's Creed 4. I'm already not buying it until after its release just out of fear of that.

Lizardus

No, I hate ubisoft ports on PC... First time playing on Pc? No. No need for condescending statements because I am going with the PS4 over the PC.

What CPU/GPU did you say you had again? To me, it just seems like you are set on getting the PS4 version no matter what. Good for you.

shinn623

I've got the AMD equivalent (6950) and I still don't see a huge reason to upgrade yet. I think selling my 6950 at the end of the summer and grabbing a 770 might be a good upgrade though. I'm guessing I've still got a few years left in my 2500K @ 4.0ghz? Couldn't get a stable OC above 4.0, sadly.

Wow, first time I ever heard that a 2500K couldn't go above 4.0. I know its possible, but it seems like everyone basically gets it to 4.5. That's too bad that you ended up with one of the few that weren't greatly overclockable. Mine is at 4.2, but runs 4.5 stable. Keeping mine at 4.2 for durability's sake.

Searched but didn't find anything, figured it be thread worthy considering the uniqueness of an 8 core being recommended.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243470/

Yikes, although not that out of the ordinary considering how poorly optimized Anvil seems to be in general when it comes to CPUs >.>

Also, I assume they mean hyperthreading when talking about 8 Core Intel CPU as I don't think intel has released a CPU with 8 physical cores. Makes me wonder if 8 core CPU rec is going to be common place for 8th gen ports...

The thought watchdogs was powered by a new engine? The disrupt engine or something.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm really torn with Watch Dogs. Either I get it on PC and upgrade my GPU to something higher than a 570 (I just know this won't perform well) or get it on PlayStation 4 and lock myself out of all my PC friends who will be getting it.

To help make matters worse I'm in Australia, so our GPU prices are stupidly high so I'll be paying something like $450+ for a GTX770. I really want to enjoy what the PC version offers over the new-gen consoles, but being able to just pay $59 instead of $450 is far nicer of a price. Though by getting a new GPU I'll also be able to enjoy my previous titles like BF4 and Titanfall at better quality without FPS drops.

What do GAF?

LilJoka

Have you compared an AMD 8 core against an Intel 4core 8thread CPU? It only takes a couple of benches to see why.

Sounds like they said 8 core to keep AMD happy, wouldn't sound too great if they said 4 core Intel or 8 core AMD, now what would that imply?

Issue is a need a mouse for uplay. MY PC is also far from my TV so I need to move it since I cannot use the PS4/360 controller wireless

Uplay has full controller support and integration with big picture.

You don't need to justify where you want to play it but just correcting information. I would like more stuff to play on my new $400 console too, but I don't think I could give up the benefits of the more powerful rig.

Zushin

Eep, I'm using i5 4670 and a 7970. Between the recommended CPU and the fact this is an nvidia game, I'm screwed :/

DieH@rd

Banned
My body shake in fear now after reading this.
What spec will Witcher 3 will require ?

Better ask yourself, what will Division/ArkhamKnight/AC Unity require. :D

WD is tame, it is still a crossgen game that had built-in capability to be scaled down to X360/PS3 level of hardware..

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like my Phenom II x 4 955 is reaching the end :( 7870 has been a trooper though. Will probably go for a console version.

maneil99

Uplay has full controller support and integration with big picture.

You don't need to justify where you want to play it but just correcting information. I would like more stuff to play on my new $400 console too, but I don't think I could give up the benefits of the more powerful rig.

Didn't know that, will wait for a DF review then decide

Pjsprojects

Yeah looking into that. In terms of spending I'm mostly looking into a near future purchase. So right now the only money constrained would be not the most expensive thing and etc.

Would something like a 760 be a decent enough upgrade? I don't need a 100% increase in performance. The 580 is still a beast so a slight preformance increase it decent enough for me. The biggest reason I want to update is the Vram and well just getting a more modern/ supported card.

If you have the 3gb 580oc version then you would need to go pretty high on a new card to make it worth while.

Rsinart

Hmm trying to figure out if I should go with this on PC or just pick up the PS4 version. I don't play much on PC but was planning on buying this on PC. I currently have i7-3770 CPU and a HD 7900, 16g ram. Any idea if thats enough to warrant buying it on PC?

maneil99

Hmm trying to figure out if I should go with this on PC or just pick up the PS4 version. I don't play much on PC but was planning on buying this on PC. I currently have i7-3770 CPU and a HD 7900, 16g ram. Any idea if thats enough to warrant buying it on PC?

PC version should be better but its ubisoft. Wait for benchmarks and impressions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm really torn with Watch Dogs. Either I get it on PC and upgrade my GPU to something higher than a 570 (I just know this won't perform well) or get it on PlayStation 4 and lock myself out of all my PC friends who will be getting it.

To help make matters worse I'm in Australia, so our GPU prices are stupidly high so I'll be paying something like $450+ for a GTX770. I really want to enjoy what the PC version offers over the new-gen consoles, but being able to just pay $59 instead of $450 is far nicer of a price. Though by getting a new GPU I'll also be able to enjoy my previous titles like BF4 and Titanfall at better quality without FPS drops.

What do GAF?

Amazon is a good option for newer GPUs. Take EVGA's dual-fan "superclocked" 2GB 770, for example:

PC Case Gear: AUD$445 excluding shipping
Amazon: AUD$408.90 including shipping

In late 2012 I imported EVGA's regular 2GB 670 and, including shipping, saved around $100 compared to AU prices.

Lizardus

Because I don't buy poorly optimized games no matter what? Pretty hard to understand for you I see. If there is a console equivalent I buy that.

Then why not buy a low or middle end GPU if you are only gonna play well-optimized games? I thought one of the reasons to buy a 780ti was to just brute-force everything.

saunderez

No, I upgrade every year. 285-6990-680-780-880
My point stands, you will never be happy with PC gaming if you don't like fiddling with settings. There will always be games that push a high end system to its limits and there always has been. There's no way around this, its the biggest benefit and the biggest flaw of such an open platform. I quit PC gaming for this very reason, but I've realised it can't be avoided and the alternative of sticking with a console means compromises all the same. So suck it up and accept there will be games that drag your system to its knees, or accept the compromises of console gaming.

kartu

Banned
That's a win for AMD, which struggles at single thread performance, but much less so at heavily multi threaded.

Now most multiplats will be like this.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm hoping my usual trick of setting everything to ultra and matching the frame rate of consoles will work out once again.

maneil99

Why the hell did you "upgrade" from a 6990 to a 680? That's a lateral upgrade at best. Also don't expect that 880 anytime soon.

6990 Xfire support was awful at the time, BF3 had just came out and stuttering was apperent throughout, it also struggled with tessellation.

maneil99

My point stands, you will never be happy with PC gaming if you don't like fiddling with settings. There will always be games that push a high end system to its limits and there always has been. There's no way around this, its the biggest benefit and the biggest flaw of such an open platform. I quit PC gaming for this very reason, but I've realised it can't be avoided and the alternative of sticking with a console means compromises all the same. So suck it up and accept there will be games that drag your system to its knees, or accept the compromises of console gaming.

There is a different between pushing a platforms visuals and being an unoptimized game. Sheesh, telling people to suck it up or leave pc gaming, what a joke. If watch dogs looked amazing I could understand high requirements, it doesn't though, it looks mediocre.

Top Bottom