• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs specs revealed - 8 core CPU recommended

Smokey

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

ubi pls

i am going to destroy your game

kortez320

i7 900 series will last the entire console generation. Really, it will.

It's starting to show it's age in some games with poor threading.

However you are right that the thing will run games the entire generation.

Hell look at the minimum requirments for this game. Core 2 Quads are almost as old as the 360.

slapnuts

Soooooooo glad i went with a 3770K over the 3570k last summer when so many people were saying i was wasting money on going with the 3770k for those extra 8 threads. My gut feeling kept telling me it would be a safer bet with a 3770k over a 3570k for next generation gaming..sure enough i keep reading articles were developers are stating PC CPU's with 8 threads will greatly benefit with next gen console ports .. Not saying the brute force of a 3570k wont cope...i guess i just feel better i went with my gut feeling instead of what 75% if people were telling me i was wasting my money on a 3770k over a 3570k.

By the way...delidded my 3770k and get a solid and stable OC at 5ghz...altlhough i keep it at 4.6ghz...for the time being.

The best Overclock out of my system though to me is how my Sapphire 7970 OC's to a rock solid 1200mhz core & 1650mhz memory ..which is somewhere around 4.4Teraflops which is pretty damn good for the time being until i can no longer get that 1080p/60fps ....1080p is fine for me because i use my PC as a home theater media center on my 55' inch Panasonic Plasma...which of course is the resolution limit for that display although i've seen some insanely high resolutions on a PC monitor at my buddy's house and boy does it look lovely at double the resolution of 1080p.

I cannot wait until big screen Ultra HDTVs become reasonable priced ...i tend to go higher end with my HDTV's so its probably gonna be a while until higher end prices of Ultra HD TV's come down to a decent price.

By the way....i sure hope WatchDogs on PC is amazing as that old E3 footage.

EDIT: I use windows 8.1 64bit, 3770K@4.6ghz, 16gb DDR3 system ram, 7970 3GB @1200mhz core/1650mhz mem, SSD and HDD, High End Asus Mobo along with a nice logitech wireless mouse and keyboard that works great from the couch.

920s run at 3.8 ghz comfortably and were/are beasts. Still no reason to upgrade, and this game won't do it.

Yep my 920 is still going strong, and I render 3D animation, and video on it all the time... although with the current products out there I'm starting to push those tasks to the GFX Card.

pa22word

920s run at 3.8 ghz comfortably and were/are beasts. Still no reason to upgrade, and this game won't do it.

i7 900 series will last the entire console generation. Really, it will.

Fellow 900 series bros represent! We and durrante will reign hellfire and brimstone on those dirty i5 peasants until the end of time!

Seriously though, easily going to end up being the best bang for my buck processor I ever bought. Thing might end up lasting me 8-10 years when it's all said and done if the thing doesn't kick over and die before then due to the OCing I do on it :p

kortez320

Good stuff.

Ugh, wish I had a 120hz monitor.

People say SSDs are the most best upgrade you can make to your PC.

Honestly though I don't think I've liked anything as much as my 144hz monitor. If you are into FPS especially it's just a totally different experience. Never thought I'd be sighing to find out a game only supports 60FPS.

Speaking of which hopefully this game will.

Guay is admitting they started development on PC, shifted to next gen platforms when they got the next gen devkits, then went back to PC after nearing completion of the next gen versions. They didn't complete the game on PC first then port it to next gen, they completely shifted focus then came back to PC later.

It's NOT going to look like the 2012 E3 Reveal on a beefy PC and I highly doubt it'll be optimized well either. That article made it quite clear their focus is on consoles. Everything in the article discussion PC is typical PR spin.

Isn't this to be expected though considering WD will sell something in the region of 10 million on consoles and only maybe a few 100k on PC at least at full price ?.

Of course in an ideal World esp with the new consoles hardware every game would start of development for high end PC's at Ultra settings and then be downgraded to High for PS4, Medium for XBone and low for WiiU.

Cool, I meet the recommended specs spot on, except I have the HD 7770 which is a little behind. Guess my computer is good for current-gen for a little while longer!

Smokey

People say SSDs are the most best upgrade you can make to your PC.

Honestly though I don't think I've liked anything as much as my 144hz monitor. If you are into FPS especially it's just a totally different experience. Never thought I'd be sighing to find out a game only supports 60FPS.

Speaking of which hopefully this game will.

SSD is the biggest thing you can do. Should be standard in every modern PC.
Followed by a 120hz/144hz monitor

Although I prefer my U3011 over my 120hz monitors. due to colors and size...the difference between 60hz and 120hz is undeniable.

Threi

notag
if the fx-8350 is in recommended specs then i'd say that most people with sandy, ivy, and haswells are more than good to go.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Followed by 120hz/144hz

Although I prefer my U3011 over my 120hz monitors. due to colors and size...the difference between 60hz and 120hz is undeniable.
All an SSD does for games is cut load times. You'd be better off using the money on a few 4TB HDDs. 50GB installs don't bother me at all.

Fuchsdh

Can I download another core?

Seriously, wow. Thats insane. I wish I had an 8-core i7 pc

I honestly did not realize that they made 8-core consumer processors. I'm rocking Dual quad core Xeons from 2008, but I've only ever seen quad i chips in the computers I pay attention to.

kortez320

Followed by a 120hz/144hz monitor

Don't get me wrong I love SSD's. I have two m4's in raid 0.

But in terms of being in game and playing it's hard to go back from 120hz.

Really wish we didn't have to make the decision on IQ vs frames though. Still waiting on a 1440/120 non-TN display.

axb2013

Soooooooo glad i went with a 3770K over the 3570k last summer when so many people were saying i was wasting money on going with the 3770k for those extra 8 threads. My gut feeling kept telling me it would be a safer bet with a 3770k over a 3570k for next generation gaming..sure enough i keep reading articles were developers are stating PC CPU's with 8 threads will greatly benefit with next gen console ports .. Not saying the brute force of a 3570k wont cope...i guess i just feel better i went with my gut feeling instead of what 75% if people were telling me i was wasting my money on a 3770k over a 3570k.

By the way...delidded my 3770k and get a solid and stable OC at 5ghz...altlhough i keep it at 4.6ghz...for the time being.

The best Overclock out of my system though to me is how my Sapphire 7970 OC's to a rock solid 1200mhz core & 1650mhz memory

What voltage for core and the ASIC rating, GPU-Z will tell you.

If Ubi sets recommended specs to i5 2400/460, anyone with even marginally better components falls below 60 FPS. they complain. Solution: set minimum specs low to maximize user base, set recommended specs above average to mitigate complaints,

Don't get me wrong I love SSD's. I have two m4's in raid 0.

But in terms of being in game and playing it's hard to go back from 120hz.

Really wish we didn't have to make the decision on IQ vs frames though. Still waiting on a 1440/120 non-TN display.
Do you have to hit 120 fps to get the advantage of 120Hz monitors or does it just make things look smoother in general?

8 cores what a joke. I bet there is some graphics setting that you will be able to turn off that makes no perceivable difference. Just like in BF4

axb2013

Do you have to hit 120 fps to get the advantage of 120Hz monitors or does it just make things look smoother in general?

It makes everything look better 24/7, and in games it's optimal to have a high frame but it has an impact all the time, even just opening windows.

kortez320

That's what I really like about it. Unless the game is messed up (Titanfall) pretty much any variable framerate over 75 feels much better then 60. And tearing is hard to see on them as well. In fact I'd even go as far as saying I don't see tearing on my screen at all (w/o vsync) but I know it must be there.

It works out really well for shooters. I can average about 100 frames on my Ti Classy in BF4. I get a huge boost from the added smoothness and I don't have to enable vsync so I get even better control.

Tablo

Fellow 900 series bros represent! We and durrante will reign hellfire and brimstone on those dirty i5 peasants until the end of time!

Seriously though, easily going to end up being the best bang for my buck processor I ever bought. Thing might end up lasting me 8-10 years when it's all said and done if the thing doesn't kick over and die before then due to the OCing I do on it :p

980X checking in!

That's what I really like about it. Unless the game is messed up (Titanfall) pretty much any variable framerate over 75 feels much better then 60. And tearing is hard to see on them as well. In fact I'd even go as far as saying I don't see tearing on my screen at all (w/o vsync) but I know it must be there.

It works out really well for shooters. I can average about 100 frames on my Ti Classy in BF4. I get a huge boost from the added smoothness and I don't have to enable vsync so I get even better control.
Ok now I have to try one of these things, having to cap everything at 60 to avoid screen tearing (and sometimes still get it) is a pain at the moment.

emag

It's a typo. Should be 8 threads.

A single core 386 can handle 8 threads. That's not what was meant. 8 cores means 8 cores, even if they're partial cores (like on the FX series) or some are virtual processor cores (like on HT-enabled i7s).

An i5 is not an i7, no matter how close it came in largely single threaded games last gen.

Yeah your comment makes a whole lot of sense considering the game was made with PC as the lead platform. The recommended specs don't mean shit. Wait until the fuckibg game is out. Is that so difficult?

I'm not giving Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt when it comes to PC ports anymore, sorry.

emag

console warrior thing

It's not about PCs vs. consoles. It's about the absolute pigheadedness of the loud PC "enthusiasts" who keep claiming that old i5s (or even i3s) are good enough to play current gen games, thereby misleading new PC buyers into making bad decisions.

pa22word

It's not about PCs vs. consoles. .

lolk

It's about the absolute pigheadedness of the loud PC "enthusiasts" who keep claiming that old i5s (or even i3s) are good enough to play current gen games, thereby misleading new PC buyers into making bad decisions

You can absolutely still play 8th gen titles on sandybridge+ era i5s and likely will be able to continue doing so throughout the rest of the gen, but I'd have to see the receipts on anyone from PCgaf earnestly saying that you could run the gen on an old i3.

Renekton

Calm down and educate yourself about the next gen platforms and how their architectures compare to the PC architecture. The game will run great on PC as long as it runs decently on consoles because the architectures are damn near identical.
They are not near identical, x86 is just an ISA.

PC gaming rigs normally don't use large pool UMA, HSA, extra GPU-CPU bus, SoC, esram, and compute is still left to the CPU. I think each console has different OS scheduler and intrinsics as well.

Top Bottom