• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I don't understand:

How come AC IV looks so good compared to this? Isn't it the same engine?

That game also has HUGE, open areas (probably even more so than this), and it looks much better as a launch game.

What's going on here? Did Ubi give up on improving the game and is just dumping it on us in May?
The rest of that gameplay video (link was left out for convenience of the op) looks better than AC imo. Though AC4 had this great great environment.
So it might be hard to compare.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Looks fine to me. People like to complain.

1sWdwxb.jpg

Nzyme32

Perhaps this should be in the OP http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103394027#post103394027

edit: ... of Watch_Dogs. Damn. Can a mod edit it in, please?
In an interview later that day, Guay told me that the titles are very similar across platforms, even, in some ways, across generations. When I asked Guay to explain the differences he said it was easier to start with what's the same.

"So it's the same storyline," he said. "It's done by the same team, so it's not a separate team in another continent that was (making one of the versions). So, same storyline, same gameplay, all the same mechanics, innovations. All the same missions, if you want, the same world.

"Obviously what's different, is that we're scaling the dynamism and the detail of the city and the gameplay. So it's stuff like the amount of civilians in the street, the amount of cars in the street, the detail in the animation, or how sophisticated some reactions are to some of your actions. So some of those things are scaled down. Obviously the graphics, but that one's obvious."

Guay said he's very happy with what the team has been able to do on the PS3 and Xbox 360, especially in the past six months.

"There were some of our features where it was a challenge to be sure that we had feature parity, especially some of the things that we're doing online," he said. "But at the end of the day we're able to hit that on all the core animations that we're doing in Watch Dogs."

In terms of PlayStation 4 versus Xbox One versions of the game, Guay says they're so similar that he sometimes has to check the controller or the UI to figure out which platform is running the game.

"It pretty much looks alike," he said. "You know, I get fooled. You can't really tell just from the image."

And the PC version scales based on the sort of computer you're running it on, though the team made the decision "not too scale down too much," Guay said.

"I mean you can always say we support a 10-year-old PC and then it's barely playable, but that's ugly," he said. "It's not really what people want to play. We didn't do that. We didn't go there. We said, ‘OK, we advertise that at the recommended setting it's going to be a good experience. It's going to look good, it's not going to look like a 10-year-old game.' So we're not going to support very old PCs. If you have very powerful PCs, then it'll scale up, and it scale up to even higher resolution, obviously, than you can have on PS4 or Xbox One. So you can have, in theory, a version that will look spectacular if you have that big screen, that high resolution capability. The game looks great on PC."

One of the reasons that's true is because development on Watch Dogs actually started for the PC first.

"When we started developing, the PS3 existed, the Xbox 360 existed, and we kind of suspected, maybe, there might be other platforms eventually," he said. "So, because we thought that would happen we chose the PC as our first target to have when we started developing Watch Dogs so that we have the flexibility to adapt to a different platform. So we were able to support 360 and PS3, but we could scale up with other platforms and to other video in the meantime, which we now know is the case. So PC has always been around for us. Sometimes it's a last-minute port of sorts. For us, it's been around since we started."

Development shifted to the next-gen consoles once the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, and then in the last eight months or so a dedicated team returned to the PC to hammer out the final details of that platform's version of the game, he said.

"So we end up having the best of both worlds basically," he said. "We're able to have good usability on PC and on console."

Polygon

Because it wasn't a downgrade. It was a concept video like we were given with Bioshock Infinite that, while it works in that isolated build so long as the dev keeps on schedule and on the 'path' while demoing, generally has no bearing on all the factors that affect the IQ of a final game product.

It's been pretty clear since the first post E3 demo that this was the case.

With that said, this practice on showing without telling what we're seeing needs to stop. If it's what a team hopes they can turn their game into, great as long as they have their audience in the loop on that.

Edit: Not criticizing people for being disappointed or upset. Saying that the way people are looking at this is having them more upset at visual downgrades rather than the fact that this practice of demoing pipedreams while advertising as the actual product is the real issue.

Pooya

just thinking a port up version of GTAV coming around same time would blow this game away now, not that its gameplay look like anything special either. what they've done...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wow, looks like straight garbage now.

People posting Frame City Killers stuff are on point. Its more than a little fucking eerie. All this as Infamous is about to release and show what can be achieved at the very start of the PS4's tenure.

Ubi's bloated trainwreck of an approach to development seems like its bursting apart at the seams. To think they had the gall to take shots at GTAV when thats potentially going to be the better looking game on last gen hardware.

FHIZ

What March 2014 footage is that even from? That's not part of the story trailer, was there other footage released today?

UbiSoft seems to not understand the concept of setting expectations correctly. This wouldn't be half as jarring if it hadn't been promoted as such a visually advanced game.

Imagine if they never delayed it...sheesh.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
2g242LL.jpg

Eowa03X.jpg

I'm not too sure, maybe thats the lastgen version because that don't look like a downgrade at all, more of upgrade actually.

Still doesn't look bad, all things considered, and I never thought that the final game would look exactly the way it did.

Yo. You. Yeah, you. The guy who just said this looks like 360 graphics right, that's you? Shut the fuck up.

Interfectum

I hope the PC version hasn't had to suffer a downgrade just because consoles can't run it as it was before.

The version in the reveal doesn't actually exist. The PC version will look like the new one in the OP, maybe slightly sharper / better frame rate.

The good thing about The Crew is that it already looked like shit to begin with. At least they were honest with one game! The Division downgrade reveal is gonna be huge though, everyone I know got so hyped for it basically from the visuals alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom