• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Etnos

Banned
A) what? You must be doing something wrong. Those posting webm links here show it looks amazing on PC with mods.

B) My friend who loves GTA says WD is much more alive with peoples' reactions, and realistic than GTA - even points to litter blowing around.

- I haven't mod the game, thou I must say I was being a bit hyperbolic... the game looks alright I guess, but visually is just bland, doesn't feel like "next gen" at all.

B) Is opinion based, yet as someone who constantly travels to LA, Rockstar did a top notch job with Los Santos, it feels more like a live place to me than Watchdogs Chicago. The Watchdog reviews I've red also agree with WD city being just bland.

Chitown B

Yeah, I've done all that, but it's the last extra step needed that sucks the fun out of idea of a stealth, realistic getaway. I ditch the hot car, I'm out of view of any cops, and I find a new car and hide. That should be more than enough for the ones patrolling the streets with the lights. Having to use some gadget to block the magical scans and then bug out beyond the goofy ring of threat isn't really fun, it's tedious. For me, anyway. It feels like the open world games before GTAV where threat circles were the norm. I was hoping any modern open world take would steal the way Rockstar does it now. Line of sight is a godsend. It doesn't break the immersion, it heightens it. You can literally escape on foot if you are crafty enough. I really hope they retool it for the sequel.

THIS. Agreed.

i evade cops by either hiding in car garages, or swim away because they forgot that cops can have boats too

Seriously, anytime I am even near water and the cops/enemies start chasing you, it's easier just to find a boat and drive off. Trying to loose them through other means is totally doable - but the car chase mechanics in this game are not exactly fun.

Although last time, I got caught in Park Ridge and just ended up killing all the people who were chasing me. I thought they'd just keep sending in additional cars, but to my surprise you can eventually just kill off the pursuing gang members.

Chitown B

- I haven't mod the game, thou I must say I was being a bit hyperbolic... the game looks alright I guess, but visually is just bland, doesn't feel like "next gen" at all.

B) Is opinion based, yet as someone who constantly travels to LA, Rockstar did a top notch job with Los Santos, it feels more like a live place to me than Watchdogs Chicago. The Watchdog reviews I've red also agree with WD city being just bland.

I can't say I'm not a bit biased, living here and walking around downtown a lot. It feels like Chicago, for sure. Especially happy that it captures the autumn, which is the best.

Although last time, I got caught in Park Ridge and just ended up killing all the people who were chasing me. I thought they'd just keep sending in additional cars, but to my surprise you can eventually just kill off the pursuing gang members.

Why does this surprise you? It says "kill all pursuers or escape"

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
As long as you have a stock of gadtes, it's a non issue really. I do understand what you mean though.

Hopefully they'll smooth it out in the next instlalment.

From the start they showed MP being a lot more in depth. With people logging in and aiding you while you escape police, etc...

And a lot of the game felt half-baked, espeically the MP parts and random encounters.
They showed a concept of the MP without talking about it. Then they showed how it actually works with invasions and the like.

I can't say I'm not a bit biased, living here and walking around downtown a lot. It feels like Chicago, for sure. Especially happy that it captures the autumn, which is the best.

yeah, i think cops infinite spawn, but gang folks are fixed amount.

what are yall's weapon/gadget/ of choice?

i pretty much just use the silenced pistol, or the LMG if in a pickle, and use the fuck out of the IED's.

they do make pretty good stealth tools too. just lob it across the area and everyone just wonders over there. Works way better than the Bait.

Zakalwe

Banned
They showed a concept of the MP without talking about it. Then they showed how it actually works with invasions and the like.

Yep, and the concept stuff that was far grander than what we got and was incredibly disappointing.

And the game still feels incredibly half-baked. The Mp takes too long to connect to for what you get out of it, free roam is just tacked on, lots of disconnect issues.

They didn't deliver on the promise, and the visual scale backs out me off too.

Ubi have a habit of over shooting the mark then slowly edging back. It's frustrating. I didn't want to like the game because it was obvious this was going to happen.

Then I found myself liking it despite it's issues.

Damn it.

Crossing Eden

Yep, and the concept stuff that was far grander than what we got and was incredibly disappointing.

And the game still feels incredibly half-baked. The Mp takes too long to connect to for what you get out of it, free roam is just tacked on, lots of disconnect issues.
The concept involved a guy talking on a phone and being told to follow the player. That basically equates to tailing except it doesn't happen in main missions for obvious reasons. And then when they actually showed the MP it's exactly like what we got in the final game. And no, the free roam is not tacked on at all, this is definitely one of the most realized virtual worlds in gaming, and the MP takes just as long as a typical game to connect.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, I've done all that, but it's the last extra step needed that sucks the fun out of idea of a stealth, realistic getaway. I ditch the hot car, I'm out of view of any cops, and I find a new car and hide. That should be more than enough for the ones patrolling the streets with the lights. Having to use some gadget to block the magical scans and then bug out beyond the goofy ring of threat isn't really fun, it's tedious. For me, anyway. It feels like the open world games before GTAV where threat circles were the norm. I was hoping any modern open world take would steal the way Rockstar does it now. Line of sight is a godsend. It doesn't break the immersion, it heightens it. You can literally escape on foot if you are crafty enough. I really hope they retool it for the sequel.

The ctOS scans are TERRIBLE, because there is no escaping them. There's no skill involved you can use to outsmart the game because you'll get detected no matter what [even if you pump out 5 Jam Coms it's usually still not enough].

I can see why they were added, but Ubi should've nerfed them [only have ctOS scans on big intersections, something like that].

The cop AI is weird too, it zones in on you even if there's technically no way for the cops to know where you are.

There are a lot of cool concepts [hiding in car is an awesome idea], but a lot of the mechanics need a big overhaul in the sequel.

cackhyena

Yeah, I know I keep harping on it, but seriously. Make it like GTAV. The cops know your general area, and if they suspect you haven't fled it, they get out on foot and start to search for a bit. That is how the patrols should be able to find you. Start searching cars on foot. Could be a really tense little affair each time.

Zakalwe

Banned
The concept involved a guy talking on a phone and being told to follow the player. That basically equates to tailing except it doesn't happen in main missions for obvious reasons. And then when they actually showed the MP it's exactly like what we got in the final game. And no, the free roam is not tacked on at all, this is definitely one of the most realized virtual worlds in gaming, and the MP takes just as long as a typical game to connect.

Not going to argue about the connection times. They were silly. On PC, not sure if it's different on consoles.

I think the free roam is tacked on. There's nothing developed about it. Just roaming around isn't brilliant gameplay. Could have had co-op quests, or something more.

And what they showed of MP in concept wasn't just tailing, it had a pop up saying "aid the player's escape". What we got was nothing close to that, like a placeholder. Not saying it wasn't fun, but it was definitely half done.

I don't know why you're so resistant to calling this game flawed, it certainly is. It's a great foundation, but they missed out on a lot of potential.

I think the next game is going to be insane. It'l be pretty clear from feedback and what their initial ideas were what it is they need to do, and they have the foundation now.

cackhyena

I honestly don't get how you think that, but to each his own.

iamjohn

I'm a little more than halfway through ACT II and I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time finishing this game. I enjoyed this game SO much the first few hours and now it's gotten so boring.

I'm a little more than halfway through ACT II and I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time finishing this game. I enjoyed this game SO much the first few hours and now it's gotten so boring.
Act 2 is the worst parts of the game, it gets a lot better in Act 3 I thought.

SJRB

Gold Member
Act 2 is the worst parts of the game, it gets a lot better in Act 3 I thought.

Complete opposite for me. First two acts are pretty low-key, story is condensed and focussed. Missions have a proper setup, good narrative. Things go completely off the rails after the 2nd act.

Crossing Eden

Not going to argue about the connection times. They were silly. On PC, not sure if it's different on consoles.

I think the free roam is tacked on. There's nothing developed about it. Just roaming around isn't brilliant gameplay. Could have had co-op quests, or something more.

And what they showed of MP in concept wasn't just tailing, it had a pop up saying "aid the player's escape". What we got was nothing close to that, like a placeholder. Not saying it wasn't fun, but it was definitely half done.

I don't know why you're so resistant to calling this game flawed, it certainly is. It's a great foundation, but they missed out on a lot of potential.

I think the next game is going to be insane. It'l be pretty clear from feedback and what their initial ideas were what it is they need to do, and they have the foundation now.
I only played the ps4 version. So my impression of the game is probably much better than someone who played the pc version which apparently has tons of stability issues. And no, the MP wasn't half done, what would the other player be doing while the person was doing missions and watching cutscenes. There's so much complication to the idea of other players doing stuff while a player doing missions that I can definitely see why they didn't include MP into SP missions. However that doesn't mean that the multiplayer that's included in the game is "half done." And yes I know the game is flawed, I don't think it's perfect. But I prefer legitimate criticisms over saying "oh this is half done because it's not the same as a cutscene that played from a demo two years ago to show that the game will in some way have MP"

I honestly don't get how you think that, but to each his own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAzrwRZ-T4
^ First time they showed actual MP gameplay, what's different besides the HUD?

Setsuna

The ctOS scans are TERRIBLE, because there is no escaping them. There's no skill involved you can use to outsmart the game because you'll get detected no matter what [even if you pump out 5 Jam Coms it's usually still not enough].

You can outrun them in a performance car on the high way pretty easily add in com Jams and a god route and escaping is pretty easy

I told myself I want going to buy this until I finished assassins creed 4, well I did and after all the poor to middling impressions I'm having fun with the game so far.

It doesn't seem like the best ever but a good start to what will probably be a better franchise in the future.

The game is starting to drag on a bit for me. I hope I'm near the end. I'm also sick of the hacking minigame. It was interesting at first but now I cringe when I'm forced to do them.

winstano

Did anyone else think that the
"By Any Means Necessary"
mission ending was absolute bullshit? (Act 3 spoilers)

Chasing Iraq through a building, suddenly he disappears, gives a "menacing" monologue and then ALL OF A SUDDEN SOLDIERS! On the roof that was empty 5 seconds ago. At first I had no idea where to go. The mission objectives said to "follow Iraq", so I thought he'd climbed down a wall. Climbed down, dead. Listened to the same crappy spiel again.

Lazy game design at its finest. It felt so out of place and disjointed.

I'm reviewing the game for our site (Yes, I know, but a late delivery of the game and E3 got in the way), and I'm honestly not sure I can stand going on much longer with it. There's so many little things that annoy and frustrate with this game.

"By Any Means Necessary"

Chasing Iraq through a building, suddenly he disappears, gives a "menacing" monologue and then ALL OF A SUDDEN SOLDIERS! On the roof that was empty 5 seconds ago. At first I had no idea where to go. The mission objectives said to "follow Iraq", so I thought he'd climbed down a wall. Climbed down, dead. Listened to the same crappy spiel again.

That is, by far, the worst mission in the game. The enemies literally appeared out of thin air. Then I was magically transported off that building when the fight was over.

Ugh...

SJRB

Gold Member
"By Any Means Necessary"

I'm reviewing the game for our site (Yes, I know, but a late delivery of the game and E3 got in the way), and I'm honestly not sure I can stand going on much longer with it. There's so many little things that annoy and frustrate with this game.

Terrible mission for sure. Well the misison was cool,
making your way through the building was awesome
but that final segment was all kinds of weird and surprisingly janky / game-y. It felt really out of place, like they forgot this part of the mission and had to fix it 3 hours before the game went gold.

I too thought I had to jump off the roof or something, the 2 minutes where absolutely nothing happens is so bizarre.

As a fellow Chicagoan, I think it comes close more often than not. I was a little disappointed in some of the omissions and changes - but there have definitely been times where I was surprised how much it "felt" like walking around downtown or other parts of the city.

The thing I think they could have easily done better? This city is LOUD. Watch Dogs is way to quite when you are downtown. I had a few firetrucks/ambulances blow past me in game the other day and I got chills at how much that little bit added.

As others have pointed out - doing this with Cops does not work. I'm not sure if the message changes depending on who is pursuing you, but if it does I hadn't noticed it.

Billen

Banned
"By Any Means Necessary"

I thought a LOT of the game was like this, and many missions felt like placeholders to me. I enjoyed the game as of a whole, but the campaign had a lot of horrible and amateurish moments to it.

Crossing Eden

"By Any Means Necessary"

That was a really out of place moment in the game.

Crossing Eden

I thought everything in Rosi-Fremont was out of place. As it starts down that story line and location, it felt like an entirely different game. Not a better one.
The part where you're shooting your way into it was epic but just that portion was out of place because the enemies appeared out of nowhere.

Chitown B

As a fellow Chicagoan, I think it comes close more often than not. I was a little disappointed in some of the omissions and changes - but there have definitely been times where I was surprised how much it "felt" like walking around downtown or other parts of the city.

The thing I think they could have easily done better? This city is LOUD. Watch Dogs is way to quite when you are downtown. I had a few firetrucks/ambulances blow past me in game the other day and I got chills at how much that little bit added.

As others have pointed out - doing this with Cops does not work. I'm not sure if the message changes depending on who is pursuing you, but if it does I hadn't noticed it.

Agreed. It's really accurate a lot of places. Sometimes there is cognitive dissonance when it's close but not exact. But all in all it captures the feel really well.

I don't find the city that loud, really.... Except for the occasional siren.

The poster said "but to my surprise you can eventually just kill off the pursuing gang members." Which referred only to non-cops. Yes, cops will call more.

hbkdx12

The part where you're shooting your way into it was epic but just that portion was out of place because the enemies appeared out of nowhere.

I found the fact that with just a bubble vest that he was suddenly a bullet sponge to be more jarring. Not that it took long to take him down with my AR shotgun

yeah, i think cops infinite spawn, but gang folks are fixed amount.

what are yall's weapon/gadget/ of choice?

i pretty much just use the silenced pistol, or the LMG if in a pickle, and use the fuck out of the IED's.

they do make pretty good stealth tools too. just lob it across the area and everyone just wonders over there. Works way better than the Bait.
Spec Ops Goblin AR was mine once I unlocked it.

Holy crap, the online racing is the worst (PS4).

Vorheez

Huh. I am utterly embarrassed. I've been playing video games for well over a decade and frankly take some pride in how good I think I am. I just finished Uber on Wolfenstein and figured Watch Dogs would be a nice brainless transition where I could just have some fun. I could not be more wrong.

I've been stuck on the first goddamn mission for an hour. I'm told to "leave the police search area" which I've done a million times and then "get away from police" which apparently driving halfway across the country is not enough. I am enraged. What steaming pile of trash did I just waste my money on? I knew I shouldn't have bought this shitheap but here I am trying to endure Ubis awful game mechanics.

Yes, I know I'm overreacting, but can someone please give me some pointers before I give myself a brain aneurysm. Thank you.

Edit: nevermind, I finally got it. I'm leaving this post here for reflection purposes though haha. Cars still handle like dogturd.

malfcn

Funny writing, Hope is a Sad Thing
"I am not really a cash kind of guy."
Despite pulling thousands of dollars of cash out of ATMs every few minutes.

Zakalwe

Banned
I only played the ps4 version. So my impression of the game is probably much better than someone who played the pc version which apparently has tons of stability issues. And no, the MP wasn't half done, what would the other player be doing while the person was doing missions and watching cutscenes. There's so much complication to the idea of other players doing stuff while a player doing missions that I can definitely see why they didn't include MP into SP missions. However that doesn't mean that the multiplayer that's included in the game is "half done." And yes I know the game is flawed, I don't think it's perfect. But I prefer legitimate criticisms over saying "oh this is half done because it's not the same as a cutscene that played from a demo two years ago to show that the game will in some way have MP"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAzrwRZ-T4
^ First time they showed actual MP gameplay, what's different besides the HUD?

Half done is a legitimate criticism. It's one that many others echo.

Game feels half done to me, like a foundation laid and placeholders.

The MP is very barebones. It doesn't matte how much you talk it up. It's fun, the hacking at least, but that doesn't mean it's well developed. Their concept clearly showed more ambition, and the idea of interlacing characters during missions is not an impossible thing, just a matter of time and good design.

You're being very short sighted about what is possible with MP. Perhaps your lack of imagination with that is what keeps you happy with the current iteration.

All I know is the game feels almost like a beta in places. Much like AC1 compared to AC2.

SJRB

Gold Member
Spec Ops Goblin AR was mine once I unlocked it.

Holy crap, the online racing is the worst (PS4).

1911 pistol for everything, unless I'm severely outnumbered. I freaking love the pistol animations and it's powerful enough to gun down anyone with one to the head or two/three to the chest.

elektrixx

Banned
"By Any Means Necessary"

You can't defeat the heavy with melee at the end even though I had the ability. It pissed me off because I wasn't sure if I did it right or not so I had to hear the whole conversation several times.

psychotron

You can't defeat the heavy with melee at the end even though I had the ability. It pissed me off because I wasn't sure if I did it right or not so I had to hear the whole conversation several times.

I couldn't finish the game. It just never really got better for me. The pieces were all there but the game just seemed boring. Gamestop gave me $42.50 which I applied to TLOU: Remastered.

elektrixx

Banned
I forgot to mention that my game crashed during the end credits when
the doctor woman speaks
so I did that final sequence several times before verifying my game data.

Since the patch I got bad stuttering which sometimes lead to crashes. I never had that issue before the patch.

Ducktail

Well, I just finished the game after practically a month of playing it.

It was definitely a worthy next-gen experience it in my opinion, despite the somewhat lackluster graphics. The city really felt alive and I never got tired of observing NPC behaviour. Much much better than GTA in this aspect. The online segment was also very interesting, and the online hacking made me a bit paranoid, as I would frequently activate focus mode in order to see if someone was invading me, lol.

The ending is a bit disappointing and I hate
tha Cllara dies. She's one of the few likable characters, which are really flat and not explored on the whole

I'd give it a Solid 8! I still have like 100 side missions to do, but I think I'm done.

SJRB

Gold Member
OLyYvoh.jpg

So eh.. is this new? Never noticed it before? [DIESEL advertisement]

WTF is up with the framerate during MP races on PS4?

I was literally getting like 5-6fps during a race with 5 or 6 people. I thought it was my PS4 but my flatmate was in the same race and getting the exact same thing on his PS4.

It seems completely random. Sometimes I'll be in a 5 or 6 person race and it'll run fine for about half then chug, and other times it'll just be me and one other person and chugging from the start.

I can't believe it's nearly one month after launch and this is still happening.

Top Bottom