• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

krae_man

I'm liking the side mission stuff more myself. But I'm only about 1/2 way through Act one so far.

The online hacking seems to take way, way too long. When I hacked someone else it felt like it took 5 minutes. I'm surprised the person didn't find me.

When I hacked someone else it took me forever to find them but I don't know how I couldn't given the amount of time I had to do it. The chase after I found him was awesome though. I ended up running him over after I totaled his car:lol

I don't get why the criminal profiling thing detects crimes so far away from me. "ding ding ding potential crime 5km in the opposite direction you're going". Really? Why can't they be in the immediate area or in the direction I'm already headed?

I like the variety in how you can tackle tasks but sometimes I just can't figure out alternate methods and just end up shooting everyone. One hacking job required a hack on the second floor of an office building and I couldn't find a camera that had a line of sight to a camera on the second floor. Another I had to take some gang boss down a peg by knocking him down but couldn't figure out how to knock him down without killing him as all the interactions were either the startle or kill variety. I'll figure it out.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There are certain elements you'll find here that is shared with that series; but speaking as someone who hated AC overload, I can assure you that this has its own identity. It feels different. I think the real similarity is you have "synchronize" towers here too but you can knock them all out in an hr.

There is a lot of boating, driving, stealth and shooting here. It's a different pace. Having a phone that can stop a car dead on the streets or blackout an entire city is what sets this apart along with camera hacking, etc.

I enjoyed AC 2 and 4 immensely despite not being a fan of the series. I say go for this. I wasn't expecting to like this at all.

Thanks, man/ma'am. You should change your name to DefinitelyGroovey :)

Denton

Sorry to repeat myself, but if I found the Assassin's Creed series a bit boring, am I likely to feel the same about this...?

I finished every mainline AC game, and I got fed up with its mechanics in AC4 and almost did not finish it.

And yet I spent 50 hours in Watch Dogs and had a great fun. I consider it more enjoyable game than any AC, although not necessarily better written.

They have been incredible. It felt great just sitting back and thinking... "Okay, which angle makes the most sense?"

It is pretty fantastic when you end up having to go miles away from the original minimap marker to find the right camera to solve the puzzle. =p

Yeah, I would find some part of it and start looking for the right angle. Then sometimes it would be so far away that I would be like holy crap.

The one involving the dam was kinda tough. Took me a few to get it.

Hoodbury

Can I get some help on the serial killer side quest? I got through 5/7 or 6/7 of the dead bodies and now I can't find anymore magnifying glasses on my map. Am I suppose to do something else? Or is it possible the icon is just hiding behind a cluster of other icons?

Can I get some help on the serial killer side quest? I got through 5/7 or 6/7 of the dead bodies and now I can't find anymore magnifying glasses on my map. Am I suppose to do something else? Or is it possible the icon is just hiding behind a cluster of other icons?

Did you finish the game, I know side stuff opens up as you progress, if you did its definitely hiding behind icon, couple of them are like that.

dcx4610

Did you unlock all of the CToS towers? Some of the magnifying glasses don't show up until you have played through most of the campaign but since you did, it's probably tower related.

After the last body you should have a conversation with the killer and it gets traced to that town where T-Bone is.

dcx4610

Sorry to repeat myself, but if I found the Assassin's Creed series a bit boring, am I likely to feel the same about this...?

I would think so. It's Assassin's Creed with a phone in a less-polished GTA world without much to do.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit but it's a hard game to recommend to anyone. If you like the AC series you kind of know what to expect with the mission structures. After that, you just have to be into computers/hacking. If you aren't into either, you'll probably hate it.

Hoodbury

Did you unlock all of the CToS towers? Some of the magnifying glasses don't show up until you have played through most of the campaign but since you did, it's probably tower related.
All towers unlocked as well.
After the last body you should have a conversation with the killer and it gets traced to that town where T-Bone is.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't get all the bodies, could have sworn I remember the last one saying 5/7 or 6/7 but I guess it's possible somehow the audio got interrupted or something. I'll check there after I double check my map zooming in. thanks.

All towers unlocked as well.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't get all the bodies, could have sworn I remember the last one saying 5/7 or 6/7 but I guess it's possible somehow the audio got interrupted or something. I'll check there after I double check my map zooming in. thanks.

Yea, definitely zoom in all the way in that area. I remember the icon was behind one of those points of interests icons I think.

Nuke Soda

The game has grown on me a little. I have been screwing around with the side activites and hacking into other peoples games. Still a disappointment, but one that isn't as bad as it first seemed. Hopefully part 2 will not be another attempt at GTAV, they should go the Saints Row route without being Saints of course.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I finished every mainline AC game, and I got fed up with its mechanics in AC4 and almost did not finish it.

And yet I spent 50 hours in Watch Dogs and had a great fun. I consider it more enjoyable game than any AC, although not necessarily better written.

Cheers, man.

AC4 was really impressive in a lot of ways, but I found it a bit shallow.

I would think so. It's Assassin's Creed with a phone in a less-polished GTA world without much to do.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit but it's a hard game to recommend to anyone. If you like the AC series you kind of know what to expect with the mission structures. After that, you just have to be into computers/hacking. If you aren't into either, you'll probably hate it.

Nice one.

I'm certainly more into the whole cyber-vigilante deal. I think the combat and the sheer volume/lack of variety in the filler missions were my main issues with AC. I'm not expecting miracles but if those have been addressed to some degree that'd be marvelous.

mitchman

Gold Member

Maybe you're missing the one clue that is on the island all the way on the east side of the map?

The NPC chatter is killing me. Everybody says like, umm, yeah, and fuck way too much, probably because they improvised half of it instead of writing actual lines to read. So now instead of hearing repeating phrases after awhile like in GTA, everything sounds the same from the very beginning.

Nuke Soda

Gestault made this.

I cannot stop laughing.

iKoD7qOazxUov.png
My Aiden was a bad enough dude to beat muggers and then turn around and mug old ladies... He was a scumbag.

Vorheez

Good lord this is one of the most boring games I've ever played. Tried to get into it on three seperate occasions with no luck. Officially done with it, which is a disappointment, but I guess I can get something decent for it when I trade it in.

RyudBoy

Not sure what exactly caused it, but the right analog stick on my XB1 controller keeps drifting up every now and then. I've never dropped the controller or anything either. Tried a second controller, same thing. This started after I updated the patch a couple of days ago.

It happens in every game I try, not just Watchdogs. Very frustrating. Anyone else have the same issue and know what's causing it?

Lima

For anyone on Xbox One. If you have the season pass the stuff from the various collector editions and pre order bonuses are now available for free to you. Includes a bunch of upgrades and two SP missions I think.

onken

So this finally unlocked in Asia on Steam and all I get is "failed to contact key server" - as if waiting an extra 5 weeks wasn't a big enough fuck you as it is.

Danj

If I buy Watch_Dogs from Steam, can I then buy the Season Pass from anywhere else I like, or would I have to buy that from Steam as well?

Setsuna

This game could really use an Infamous style User Generated Content editor.

We could have set up a showdown between cops, vice roys, and club members in one area, and then set the behaviors to either be friendly, neutral, or aggressive towards Aiden

inter

How does the gameplay compare to AC games? I always go in thinking I'll enjoy them, but after playing the original, the rest of the series has bored me. I'm thinking about picking this up, but if it's really similar to AC, then I'll probably pass.

dcx4610

wow the serial killer sidequest is seriously underwhelming.

I loved finding the bodies and the creepy vibe. I was expecting an awesome conclusion and instead you just take the guy down and you get a quick blurb from Aiden. Incredibly disappointing. It may me not bother with any other side missions.

dcx4610

How does the gameplay compare to AC games? I always go in thinking I'll enjoy them, but after playing the original, the rest of the series has bored me. I'm thinking about picking this up, but if it's really similar to AC, then I'll probably pass.

As far as actually moving, running and stealth, it feels identical to Connor from AC3 straight down to the animation.

Other than that, it's pretty different. The gunplay is actually really good and feels better than GTA. The driving is sloppy and unresponsive but you get used to it and the hacking is unique and can be fun.

It reminds me of Assassin's Creed 1 where they have some good ideas and a good foundation but it needs some work. Watch Dogs 2 should be great just like Assassin's Creed 2.

I would probably wait until it hits $40 if you are on the fence.

idk, aiden controls a bit more like Sam Fisher in Blacklist... which did feel a bit ACish too.

Seems like AC unity controls like aiden too with the added cover system lol.

Montresor

Is there any chance DLC will add achievement/trophies? I'm close to getting the 1000/1000 and although I loved this game, I wouldn't mind trading it in to get some Indie Game Currency.

Lrrr

So I dont have much time to game anymore, and when I do someone is always trying to hack me, how can I turn this off when I need to?

On the main menu, go to OPTIONS and turn off being online. It'll tell you that your online skills will be reset before you confirm.

I'm about half way through Act 2 and I'm already mainlining the story missions to get to the end as I am so bored.

The side missions are largely not my thing despite sounding tempting for example the 'Missing Persons' quest line had me assuming I'd go to the icon to speak to an NPC who would offer me clues or access to a place where I could hack clues and then track the person down. However
each icon is a corpse tableau with an audio log, find 6 under their icons and wait for the final mission to trigger
it's damn boring and so uninventive. All of the side quests that are not camera hunts disappoint like this with most boiling down to kill everyone or kill everyone except this NPC whom you must punch.

The other thing that sticks in my craw is the overall tone of the game, everyone is a horrible person or into the wilder side of sex. The flavour text that is found by scanning pedestrians often contains messages that are just outright jarring 'was a victim of sexual abuse' being one that jumped right out at me. GTA V got a lot of stick for it's juvenile Holden Caufield 'everyone is a phony but me' attitude but this game actually seems to believe it's BS. GTA V played with the same stuff but it's rendition seemed to come with a knowing wink and the NPC characters would call out the player for being full of it. This game seems to think that it's borderline paranoid mutterings are deeply profound.

Gameplay wise I expected from the E3 trailer and their playing up of hacking that there would be more scope for non-lethal solutions but all of the side stuff is either straight hacking (CTOS towers, peeping tom missions), gunfights or racing. I'm sticking to the main story stuff right now as those do seem to offer multiple paths or at least change up the formula a bit. Also whoever decided that IEDs are detonated by looking and pointing at them needs a slap. Seriously.

Maybe it's too soon to judge as I'm not done with the game but it is notable that the only people who like it in my circle of friends had passed on GTAV on PS3, when that hits PS4 they're going to have their minds blown.

malfcn

All of the twists felt pretty under whelming.
That Lucky had Iraq that had Maurice do the hit.
The end became a little boring. Defalt was under used, lame. Jordi could have been more interesting.

The missing person line could have been a little more interesting.

Shoot or Walk away?
Walked away.
He regrets what he has done. Shooting him is acceptable too because he was under ctOS control. He was reciting the Fibonacci sequence.

Maybe if they unlock play slots I will play the game again.
Maybe with no distractions and playing straight through the story I could stay more connected.

Good God.... I like this game, but it gets sooooooo repetitive in those little details that are supposed to bring immersion. Those central American dudes that say "no le creería ni una sola palabra, es una embustera" is repeated in every FUCKING street and even in the same location. It's driving me nuts, well, that and others dialogs that are repeated everywhere. This game should have been delayed even further to polish these kind of things.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Has anyone who has this game on Xbox One had any issues with moving it from internal to external storage? When I move the game and all the DLC I have, it shows up under my external drive. But when I start the game, it doesn't recognize that I have any DLC. So I unistalled all the DLC and reinstalled and same thing. Now I removed everything completely and reinstalling the game directly to the external drive, so I'm currently waiting for that to finish.

I moved all my other games today and tested them and didn't have any other issues. I have a bunch of DLC for Forza along with the VIP pass and that stuff all moved over and worked fine.

update: looks like completely removing everything and reinstalling directly to the external drive did the trick...

malfcn

Why are the Cash Runs sometimes not available?
And outfit reset again.

The Cash Run I was racing is locked after using it a few times?
Apparently having your profiler open messes it up.

watchdog

Good God.... I like this game, but it gets sooooooo repetitive in those little details that are supposed to bring immersion. Those central American dudes that say "no le creería ni una sola palabra, es una embustera" is repeated in every FUCKING street and even in the same location. It's driving me nuts, well, that and others dialogs that are repeated everywhere. This game should have been delayed even further to polish these kind of things.

lol. That drives me nuts too. It seems like I always hear the phrase you quoted and then the "They need to crack down on DedSec" line. More variety would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom