• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Dunkirk? Bring earplgus, shit was LOUD

If the person you were with had to cover her ears from time to time, then it was too loud and I guarantee it was over 85db.

Hearing damage is generally not something you notice right away. It's something gradual and slow that get worse and worse over a long period of time.

Maybe, but the film certainly hasn't affected by hearing since I left the theater. It was loud, but I didn't feel it was actually damaging though.

Kambing

One of the guys on the avforums took his decibel meter. The IMax is running an average of 89dB, while it peaks at 110db.

The regular theater version is apparently about 5dB lower across the board.

Wow that is certainly loud. 110 db is about the threshold for hearing pain, so i must have slightly more sensitive ears. God damn.

MrJames

One of the guys on the avforums took his decibel meter. The IMax is running an average of 89dB, while it peaks at 110db.

Regarding audio, the IMAX presentation is 6.1 with no overheads. That’s too bad, since there are many planes flying “above” the audience. Still, there was some sense of height, since IMAX surrounds are well above the seats, and there’s an extra height speaker behind the screen. Dialog intelligibility was not great overall.

The IMAX levels were quite high: Leq (average RMS level over the entire length of the movie plus trailers) = 105.0 dBZ (flat), 88.9 dBA, 103.8 dBC; Lmax (maximum 1-second RMS level) = 122.6 dBZ; L10 (level exceeded 10% of the time) = 108.8 dBZ; L50 (level exceeded 50% of the time) = 94.3 dBZ. The average was nearly 4 dB above reference level (85 dBA). That isn’t as bad as other movies I’ve measured recently, but it felt brutal because the low frequencies were so high. Usually, there’s about a 10 dB difference between dBC/dBZ and dBA, but it was more like 15 dB in this case because of all the low-frequency energy from explosions and such.

The soundtrack was not mixed in Atmos for the Dolby Cinema presentation. Nolan is known for disdaining lots of channels, so it’s not surprising that he didn’t mix Dunkirk in Atmos. It seemed to me that there was activity in the overhead speakers, especially when planes flew over, so I wonder if the theater was using Dolby Surround to upmix the soundtrack; I’ll try to find out. Dialog intelligibility was better here than in the IMAX presentation.

Also, the levels were more reasonable: Leq (average RMS level over the entire length of the movie plus trailers) = 99.7 dBZ (flat), 85.7 dBA, 98.2 dBC; Lmax (maximum 1-second RMS level) = 118.5 dBZ; L10 (level exceeded 10% of the time) = 103.2 dBZ; L50 (level exceeded 50% of the time) = 89.4 dBZ. Unlike the last few movies I’ve measured in that Dolby Cinema, the average in this case did not significantly exceed reference level.

http://www.avsforum.com/dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-dolby-cinema-digital/

Blizzard

Banned
Live with my tinnitus for a day. Then come back to me and realize that you've been an ass.

I appreciate the warning, OP.
This can't be emphasized enough. For anyone who hasn't had tinnitus, it's very difficult to imagine a permanent ringing, and it's not like you necessarily have a warning where you can stop before it happens.

I hate IMAX for this issue, also. The sound is consistently way louder than any normal theater.

Saw it in 70 mm at farmingdale multiplex and honestly thought it could be louder. Wasn't bad at all. Did anyone else have trouble hearing dialouge though? I had to strain to hear what they were saying most shots.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Damn, those IMAX bass peaks are brutal.

sinkfla87

This kind of reminds me of my time as an amateur painter. I had a painting of mine called "Infinite Midnight" hanging at a gallery showing one Summer's Eve that caused quite a stir. It was meant to symbolize a life without vision, so when viewers would walk up to the painting it would spray them in the fucking eyes with acid. Needless to say it didn't go over well and my painting was forced to be removed due to legal concerns. They could have just asked me to remove it then but I guess they couldn't find me. Fucking low class peasants always ruin what they can't understand :|.

ayeorkean

Had a pounding headache for the rest of the day after watching this in imax, it was one of the first showings so doubt the theater was aware of how loud it would be, felt bad for the elderly people. The local imax theater is a few minutes away, usually see the big releases there and can’t remember ever being uncomfortable by the volume... this time it completely soured my experience.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
Just got back from seeing it in 70mm IMAX film at the MN Zoo. Wasn't as loud as the OP leads on. I actually thought Interstellar was louder.

Sound aside, the movie was absolutely amazing and I highly recommend seeking out a theater with the ability to project the full 70mm IMAX film.

I loved how loud the sound was in here. The divebomber sounds and gunfire especially added a lot to the fear element of the whole thing. Made for an extremely anxious movie. The gun sounds are the best since the last Michael Mann film

Sucks for those with more sensitive hearing issues though. Because imax is absolutely out of the question for them for this one. Possibly even the normal theater screenings too

i've yet to see it in cinemas, but i do know that MOST adults have some degree of hearing damage as we're quite careless with such thigs.

OP probably just has less hearing damage and thus is more sensitive to the issue.

i, for one, appreciate the head's up, because i've been quite careful with wearing ear plugs during my clubbing days and always cover my ears when sirens are anywhere near me - and as such, also still retain quite a bit of "sensitivity" with my hearing.

Is it possible to see it in 70mm but not IMAX? Because I just realized my theater tickets just said 70mm not IMAX and I didn't have an issue with the sound loudness.

not everybody wants permanent hearing damage just by watching a fucking movie

if I wanted to go deaf because of gunshots, bombs and planes I'd sign up for the armed forces

nothing would be lost if dunkirk was in the upper tier of how loud a movie could go without going in to the uncomfortable and straight up damaging route

y'all are crazy

I don't disagree with you. My only point is that Nolan wanted to drop you on that beach, in that water, have you in those planes.

I saw it on Sunday and used a pair of Dubs during the film. The reduction in noise made the film quite comfortable, I was still able to hear the film clearly. Took one of the earbuds out a coupe times during the film and felt that the audio was uncomfortably loud.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
There should be laws against this. What were they thinking.

If you love your hearing, use ear plugs for this movie people.

Worst experience I ever had in a movie theater.

Watching Saving Private Ryan in a theater where seats were literally trembling when tanks passed by the camera was one of the best movie experiences in my life.

I say bring it on.

I loved how loud the sound was in here. The divebomber sounds and gunfire especially added a lot to the fear element of the whole thing. Made for an extremely anxious movie. The gun sounds are the best since the last Michael Mann film

Sucks for those with more sensitive hearing issues though. Because imax is absolutely out of the question for them for this one. Possibly even the normal theater screenings too

Ayy, mah man
It's the only film to remind me of Heat with how loud the gunfire is. Makes you appropriately scared, like you're one of the soldiers right there fearing for your life.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Watching Saving Private Ryan in a theater where seats were literally trembling when tanks passed by the camera was one of the best movie experiences in my life.

I say bring it on.

There's pushing bass, and there's pushing every sound. Dunkirk pushed every sound beyond safe levels all the time. Even the dialogue was rock concert loud.

There's pushing bass, and there's pushing every sound. Dunkirk pushed every sound beyond safe levels all the time. Even the dialogue was rock concert loud.

Sounds like a problem with your theater. I saw it in a legit non-liemax IMAX and it was loud, sure, but nowhere near what you're describing.

Shit was loud as fuck, and I loved it. Every movie should have guns this fucking loud.

But, it definitely had The Prestige's problem of badly mixed dialogue. I missed a good number of lines, and that is in no way a normal problem for me. This and Prestige are like the only two movies I can even think of where I've had problems understanding what people are saying.

JB1981

I'm not sure if I have just become more sensitive with age or it's that movie theaters have become louder in general. I had to cover my ears during Interstellar. I recently saw the new Apes in Atmos and there were times where I was actually scared by how loud it was. There is no way I would bring small children to a movie mixed in Atmos. I don't remember EVER having this problem in years past. It has to be an IMAX/Atmos thing because I remember the days of DTS and SDDS and don't recall there being a problem.

They just just fire blanks from guns placed directly behind the seats next time. That way when people turn to their friends to exclaim how cool it was, they can both laugh at how unclearly they can hear each other.

Saw it in the BFI IMAX, my ears hurt after I came out.

I get what they were going for because the loudness of the action is consistent with the rest of the presentation. It doesn't matter what the visionary director wanted to achieve or whatever, a film should not cause physical discomfort, that simple.

faridmon

Saw it in 70 mm at farmingdale multiplex and honestly thought it could be louder. Wasn't bad at all. Did anyone else have trouble hearing dialouge though? I had to strain to hear what they were saying most shots.

Yeah, I had hard time understanding what was said, just because the other sound effects were overbearing. Especially the Pilots.

Arex

For once I actually enjoyed the loudness; it's not often guns sounded like guns in movies, usually they're more muted somewhat lol

Sigma722

I thought the sound level was fine, but really felt like the needless bass was a bit obnoxious. Part of the reason this was a bit worse was that the imax I saw it in was basically a cage made for rattling.

In the early part there is like a slow heart beat base that is super loud and super low. But for us we got to hear that plus a much higher rattling sound as seemingly the screen wanted to fall down or something.

Later in the movie I think it might have just been a low note in the soundtrack, but it's just low and loud for no reason.

Loved the explosions and gunfire though. Wish I could have caught it at the dolby cinema, but didn't want to drive 30 minutes for that.

Beefy

I think people who are defending a movie going above the acceptable threshold for possible hearing damage are trying much harder.

Wasn't that loud in the Cinema I went to. I think some Cinema's are fucking up. Unless the cinema I went has had complaints?

Holy fuck.

I think people who are defending a movie going above the acceptable threshold for possible hearing damage are trying much harder.

The lengths people will go to shield Nolan from any criticism whatsoever is hilarious. I more or less enjoy the guy's movies, but his rabid fanbase is WOAT-tier.

Live with my tinnitus for a day. Then come back to me and realize that you've been an ass.

I appreciate the warning, OP.

Yeah, I don't think people realize how abruptly tinnitus can arise, and from seemingly innocuous things like a loud movie, a concert, a car backfiring, a loud siren, etc. One day you're talking about how amazing it was to really feel like you were at Dunkirk, and how immersive the gunshots were; then a week later you ears won't stop ringing and you realize this new sound isn't going to go away.

Firebrand

Dark Knight Rises's audio was physically painful when I watched in the theatre. I don't recall Inception or The Dark Knight being particularly loud though.

Sorry, so that means it's possible I could have seen it in 70mm but not IMAX? IMAX has to do with the aspect ratio?

If most of the movie didn't get REAL TALL you were watching in regular 70MM aka 5 perf, not IMAX 15 perf.

Ch4WA2t.jpg

If most of the movie didn't get REAL TALL you were watching in regular 70MM aka 5 perf, not IMAX 15 perf.

Ch4WA2t.jpg

Thank you. Wow, yeah so I saw it in regular 70mm non-IMAX. I just called the theater to confirm this too. So I don't think there's any theaters on Long Island with true 70 mm IMAX screens. Only in the city. Bummer.

Actually sort of glad because with everyone here saying it was too loud in IMAX, and me shaking my head thinking it was fine,I thought I was losing my hearing.

I love how loud it was but I as a person who has hearing problems on my left ear I definitely recommend others that are sensitive to noise to wear earplugs.

FTF

Yup, saw Dunkirk Sat night 70mm IMAX and it was the loudest movie I've ever seen/heard in my life. Borderline too loud, but perhaps just a tad under that. I don't remember any other IMAX movie (at same theater or anywhere) sounding that loud. The music was great though and the plane sounds were really awesome.

Lima

I don't understand how none of the people thought to leave the theater and demand their money back if it really hurt their ears.
No instead you sit through it and cover your ears lmao. How do some people get through everyday life man.

Finaika

I don't understand how none of the people thought to leave the theater and demand their money back if it really hurt their ears.
No instead you sit through it and cover your ears lmao. How do some people get through everyday life man.

I have damaged hearing. I mostly cover my ears everytime I watch a movie at the theater (not throughout the whole movie like Dunkirk though).

Saw it Thursday night. Brought earplugs and that scene with the whistling was something else. Saw several people covering their ears. The guns do sounds amazing, but it's not worth the damage. And the dialogue mixing is indeed spotty.

Top Bottom