• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Dunkirk? Bring earplgus, shit was LOUD

Lima

I have damaged hearing. I mostly cover my ears everytime I watch a movie at the theater (not throughout the whole movie like Dunkirk though).

I'd recommend you buy in ear plugs like these

Amazon In Ear Plugs

Amazon has a bunch of others. I always bring mine when going to concerts. They don't change the sound but make everything appear quieter.

So question unrelated to the sound. I saw it in 70 mm non -IMAX and there was significant ghosting/image lag. I just realized my gaming PC monitor was set to 55 Hz in Windows. As soon as I realized I changed it to 60 and there was a massive difference in games. Then I overclocked it to 72 Hz and a yet even more massive difference. What I saw in theater was reminiscent of a super low refresh rate and I found it extremely distracting. I've never noticed this effect in other theaters but I barely go to the movies (maybe once a year if that). Was it just this projector? Is this how 24 P movies are supposed to look? If so, why do they shoot them at such a low frame rate?

JB1981

Saw it a second time tonite in Liemax and brought earplugs HA HA. It was a much more pleasant experience but even with earplugs in I could still tell how incredibly loud certain sequences were.

Blizzard

Banned
So question unrelated to the sound. I saw it in 70 mm non -IMAX and there was significant ghosting/image lag. I just realized my gaming PC monitor was set to 55 Hz in Windows. As soon as I realized I changed it to 60 and there was a massive difference in games. Then I overclocked it to 72 Hz and a yet even more massive difference. What I saw in theater was reminiscent of a super low refresh rate and I found it extremely distracting. I've never noticed this effect in other theaters but I barely go to the movies (maybe once a year if that). Was it just this projector? Is this how 24 P movies are supposed to look? If so, why do they shoot them at such a low frame rate?
Pretty much all bigscreen movies are 24 fps, I believe. It means that landscape pans are SUPER jerky if you're used to smooth 60 fps motion. I notice it a lot because I'm used to playing videogames.

It was neat seeing one of the Hobbit movies in 48fps which feels far smoother, but oddly enough it had the opposite effect -- people are so used to the jerky motion and lack of clarity in normal bigscreen movies, some (many? most?) people complained that it looked weird.

TIL GAF has Tinnitus

I'm not alone after all

I mean, it sucks, and it sucks to have people mock it.

Yeah, I was a dumbass in my 20s. I stood right by the speaker stacks at live shows by Afghan Whigs, Dinosaur Jr., Pixies, et al. Several nights a month.

Now I take my $30 earplugs to every show, and I guess I'm bringing them to Dunkirk 70MM IMAX in Indy. Tinnitus is no fucking joke. I have to sleep with some kind of white noise at night or the ringing keeps me up. I gotta keep it from getting worse, so earplugs.

Movies shouldn't really go to like 110db. Over 90db is considered an OSHA violation in the workplace.

Just got back from the imax viewing. The sound is pretty loud. The airplanes flying by and the sound of the gunshots along with the LFE is crazy. It didn't bother me or my friend, but yes if you are concerned, then bring ear plugs just in case.

I loved how loud the sound was in here. The divebomber sounds and gunfire especially added a lot to the fear element of the whole thing. Made for an extremely anxious movie. The gun sounds are the best since the last Michael Mann film

Sucks for those with more sensitive hearing issues though. Because imax is absolutely out of the question for them for this one. Possibly even the normal theater screenings too

That's how i felt too.

shira

I'd recommend you buy in ear plugs like these

Amazon In Ear Plugs

Amazon has a bunch of others. I always bring mine when going to concerts. They don't change the sound but make everything appear quieter.
Do those prevent hearing damage?
Pretty much all bigscreen movies are 24 fps, I believe. It means that landscape pans are SUPER jerky if you're used to smooth 60 fps motion. I notice it a lot because I'm used to playing videogames.

It was neat seeing one of the Hobbit movies in 48fps which feels far smoother, but oddly enough it had the opposite effect -- people are so used to the jerky motion and lack of clarity in normal bigscreen movies, some (many? most?) people complained that it looked weird.
I play on 144hz and I don't notice it. Movie is relax time and my head isn't moving

spelen

Watched it yesterday and apart from one scene i think op is exaggerating the loudness. For the record in watched it at the 70 mm screen in Vaughn ON

On a side note one of my friends slept for ten min of the movie......

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this at the same theater! It was indeed insanely loud! The screeching effect of the planes roaring overhead was astonishing. This entire movie experience was like being inside VR.

rou021

I saw it over the weekend in 70mm IMAX and it was basically on par with most modern blockbusters. It didn't sound unusually load or anything. I actually brought my musician's ear plugs with me just in case, yet I never felt the need to use them. I would say it was comparable to the Cinemark XD theaters near me. The only real difference being the bass was louder and deeper--enough to shake the seats. It wasn't at the point of being painful or even unpleasant though.

I wonder if there's a difference between the digital IMAXs and the 70mm IMAXs. I've noticed my local LieMAX tends to have the volume cranked louder than most regular theaters and the 70mm IMAX theaters I've been to.

TIL GAF has Tinnitus

I'm not alone after all

I was a dumb middle schooler who thought music sounded better at full volume when I had headphones in. Thankfully my tinnitus isn't too bad, I only really notice it when its dead quiet, but it's still really annoying and frustrating knowing that it was easily preventable.

Don't blast music from your headphones folks.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
^Hmm, I saw it at a 70mm and it was the loudest theater experience I think I've had. I saw Interstellar on the same screen too. And it was loud.. but not like this. This was honestly like a Dbox movie. I know it sounds crazy, but it was like if your Dbox was set to 2 or 3. It didn't really tilt, but my seat was shaking. No exaggeration. When the planes were screeching overhead if I instinctively removed my hands from the backpack I was clutching to grab my ears but I stopped myself. I was literally wincing it was so goddamn loud. They cranked up at the SF theater.

My wife and I just saw it last night in IMAX, and you aren't kidding. My hearing still isn't back to normal almost 24 hours later.

It certainly added to the intensity, but it was really unnecessarily loud for me, and I love it loud, generally speaking. But, my god, that was something else.

Oni Jazar

Anyone see this in Fort Lauderdale? I saw Batman Dark Knight Returns there - it was painful and I remember being afraid the whole movie would be that way. I also have tinnitus.

Finaika

That first gunshot busted my left eardrum.

image.php

I went to a matinee that was definitely on the older side today. With an IMAX sound system, I looked around at loud parts just thinking of this thread.

Zero people covering their ears, and there was a 60ish y/o couple right next to me.

Anecdota, l but "Half the theater covering their ears" feels hyperbolic.

Just got back from an imax showing in new Brunswick and it really didn't seem louder than any other movie I've seen. Maybe I was lucky.

Barzul

It's weird I didn't think it was that loud but my coworker who happened to watch the movie at the same showing I was at thought it was unbearably loud. Dunno what that says about me haha.

Blizzard

Banned
I went to a matinee that was definitely on the older side today. With an IMAX sound system, I looked around at loud parts just thinking of this thread.

Zero people covering their ears, and there was a 60ish y/o couple right next to me.

Anecdota, l but "Half the theater covering their ears" feels hyperbolic.
Or, could it be possible that different IMAX theaters, and even different types of IMAX theaters, have different volume levels, while simultaneously the level of hearing damage adults have varies?

Consider, for example, someone took an actual audio sound level meter into a showing. :p Unless they're lying or their equipment is broken, that's at least a bit of evidence.

Or, could it be possible that different IMAX theaters, and even different types of IMAX theaters, have different volume levels, while simultaneously the level of hearing damage adults have varies?

Consider, for example, someone took an actual audio sound level meter into a showing. :p Unless they're lying or their equipment is broken, that's at least a bit of evidence.

I am not sure, but i think i read somewhere awhile back, that Imax sends people to the theater to do the video and audio calibrations.

big_z

Looks like ill wait for the home release. I have tinnitus and its semi bad in my left ear. There's been a couple movies in the past where my ears hurt after and it sounds like this one takes it to a whole other level. I know how loud it will be is theater dependent but I cant risk it even though I want to see it. It's already getting harder to hear talking in poorly mixed movies with mumble speak.

klov

Neo Member
Thanks for heads-up. Ended up bring 4 sets of earplugs to theatre for my group of friends.
Got a lot of "uh...really?" looks from them when I pulled them out but within about 10 minutes of the opening salvo of gunfire and those early concussive bomb blasts on the beach, everyone was wearing them.

My wife said she would not have stayed without earplugs. We have two audiologists in our family so hearing is something we just don't take for granted.

Redrable

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the movie just isn't for you haters
Audio mixing was amazing. The projectionist just fucked up or you're a pussy.

Surprised how many people are willing to jump up and down to say "screw the disabled". They aren't willing to understand people can perceive things differently.

And it's not like others using earplugs affects you in anyway, really ridiculous how much people are willing to argue for their favourite movie/game whenever there is a thread about such inconvenience.

Whales

Banned
Fuck, I have very very early tinnitus in my left ear and im supposed to go see this movie tonightm Dont have earplugs.

Thanks for the warning OP... Guess ill just have to cover my ears

SGRX

I saw this the other day in 70mm IMAX (Ontario, CA), and it was definitely loud, probably more so than any other movie I've seen. The Stuka dive bomber sirens were just short of being loud enough to hurt my ears, which created a sense of apprehension at their approach (which was fucking awesome), but other than that, and the occasional gunshot hitting a particularly sharp note, it wasn't that bad for me or my wife. If the volume was dialed up a little higher, or if I had sensitive hearing, I probably would have wanted hearing protection though.

Jag

Anyone see this in Fort Lauderdale? I saw Batman Dark Knight Returns there - it was painful and I remember being afraid the whole movie would be that way. I also have tinnitus.

I may go to the Imax there tomorrow. It's either the one in the Museum or at Sawgrass and Sawgrass is just a nasty pit of a theater.

Tainted

As a member of GAFtinnitus, I can confirm this aspect of the movie was quite unpleasant. I wish I had found this thread beforehand and I would have taken my concert earplugs.

Toparaman

Banned
Damn, that's the only theater in my area showing Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX.

I'll have to look into some concert earplugs. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Nolan didn't want you to watch Dunkirk. He wanted to make it feel like you were at Dunkirk. So when the guns are loud and the planes are loud and the bombs are loud, guess what? War is fucking loud.

Okay bro, guess Nolan failed then because no one is leaving this movie with PTSD.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Watched this in Imax 70mm last weekend and glad you posted this OP. Ordered some ear plugs just in time for my showing. I could definitely feel the theater vibrating with all those explosions and shots. Granted it didn't seem like anyone else had issues but I wasn't about to take any chances.

Man, that first gunshot at iMAX theater. I guess other people in the theater had already seen the movie because I was about to get on the floor.

Top Bottom