• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: Inside the Sexual Misconduct Allegations Rocking NeoGAF's Last 48 Hours

Nothing happened, so what needed to be consented to? She didn't consent to him joining her in the shower, so he left.

Please look up definitions of sexual assault and sexual harassment.

So if I go up to my collegue naked and be like wassup lets do this, she says no, I back off.

I havent sexually harassed her?

Are you serious?

Cheech

Yeah, that's the part were i stopped understanding whole this situation. Maybe this is understandable for people from west, but i find it hard to see any logic in this. Like, he harassed you, ruined your relations with boyfriend, and then... you had "consensual sex" with harasser? I think that sexual harassments are disgusting and should not be tolerated, but this story is fucked up in so many ways, it's a shame that community is going to die because of this.

Agree 100%. I have a very low tolerance for people who commit sex crimes, but her story really does not wash at all. I read the Kotaku article, and couldn't believe they would even print something with that many holes in it.

ape2man

So if I go up to my collegue naked and be like wassup lets do this, she says no, I back off.

Are you serious?

If you read the kotaku article, you should agree that your comparison is not the same as described in the article. I really do not get why people are so upset about what was described in that kotaku article? If they where having a good time he mis read the signals backed off, no beef. They had a relationship after that. So what is the problem? He made a small mistake a lot of people make these mistakes in those situations. Its what you do afterwards, and he backed off like a normal person because he realized he made a mistake.

Ready to Make NeoGAF Great Again?

7BalsKo.png

MightyKAC

Yet that's technically more tame than what happened with the whole entering the bathroom and getting in the SHOWER with someone.

I dunno, getting into a shower with someone you've gotten drunk with in a hotel, then propositioning her for sex and getting turned down, and then leaving without doing anything actually does sound pretty tame to me.

Maybe there would be no case brought by prosecutors, but that does not mean it would not meet the legal definition of one. Exposing yourself to someone in those circumstances certainly would.

I disagree.

You have no clue about to her motivations.

I was asked to speculate as to them.

How many showers have you walked into uninvited?? Do you think its something you'd do?

I have with wives and girlfriends. Should I have asked for consent first? Was what I did horrible? We all know that consent must come on an instance-by-instance basis and that being in a relationship or marriage does not constitute continuous consent. Was I guilty of sexual misconduct for thinking (rightly or wrongly) that I might be welcome in the shower?

Are you serious?

This is sexual harassment, please explain how this applies here:

Code:
Sexual harassment is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors.

And they weren't "colleagues", they were friends. He hasn't her boss or co-worker.

I disagree.

I was asked to speculate as to them.

I have with wives and girlfriends. Should I have asked for consent first? Was what I did horrible? We all know that consent must come on an instance-by-instance basis and that being in a relationship or marriage does not constitute continuous consent. Was I guilty of sexual misconduct for thinking (rightly or wrongly) that I might be welcome in the shower?
This is a joke right?

Of fucking course you’re guilty. Holy shit, when you make a move on someone, the first step is never to come up behind them in the shower, completely naked. Malka deserves everything coming to him, including this site burning to the ground. What he did was sexual assault. In no world was what he did even remotely justified. Period. End of discussion.

This is my final post on GAF. Ban me Malka, I don’t care. Just keep digging.

ape2man

This is a joke right?

Of fucking course you’re guilty. Holy shit, when you make a move on someone, the first step is never to come up behind them in the shower, completely naked. Malka deserves everything coming to him, including this site burning to the ground. What he did was sexual assault. In no world was what he did even remotely justified. Period. End of discussion.

This is my final post on GAF. Ban me Malka, I don’t care. Just keep digging.

I disagree, i read it completely differently. Sorry to see you go.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nothing happened, so what needed to be consented to? She didn't consent to him joining her in the shower, so he left.

Please look up definitions of sexual assault and sexual harassment.

It's good that he left, but you need consent to see someone naked and expose yourself to them.

It's not assault or harassment. (If a one time not completely random misunderstanding) but it's certainly sexual misconduct and not appropriate.

Agree 100%. I have a very low tolerance for people who commit sex crimes, but her story really does not wash at all. I read the Kotaku article, and couldn't believe they would even print something with that many holes in it.

Have you not seen Evilore's message to the mods? He literally goes from "She became obsessed with me and another girl" to "she wanted me to die painfully" to "she roofied us and tried to force me into a cult."

Leupp's story isn't airtight, but Evilore's is far, far less believable when you take into account what he's not telling the media.

Vagabundo

I disagree.
Disagree all you want. Getting naked and knowingly walking in on someone who is naked without there consent would hit that bar.

So no then, because getting naked and walking on on a woman who is naked is not something you would do to someone who is not a wife or girlfriend.

And yes there are certain boundaries in any relationship that you will have to ask consent for and certain things that consent will always be granted for, thats something that happens organically between couples. Consent isn't hard for most people to grasp.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Disagree all you want. Getting naked and knowingly walking in on someone who is naked without there consent would hit that bar.

So no then, because getting naked and walking on on a woman who is naked is not something you would do to someone who is not a wife or girlfriend.

And yes there are certain boundaries in any relationship that you will have to ask consent for and certain things that consent will always be granted for, thats something that happens organically between couples. Consent isn't hard for most people to grasp.

If people don't understand this we have serious societal problems. (And evidence shows we do) :/

Lord. It's depressing this even needs to be explained.

spwolf

It's good that he left, but you need consent to see someone naked and expose yourself to them.

It's not assault or harassment. (If a one time not completely random misunderstanding) but it's certainly sexual misconduct and not appropriate.

i think the fact that they had slept together later on and had some kind of relationship makes it completely different situation.

I think most people know it's inappropriate behavior, but some are trying to paint it as sexual assault/harassment which is definitely going too far.

If you flash someone on the street, is that not sexual harassment?

How is it different because they are drunk and vomiting in a bathroom, where they are more vulnerable?

Royce McCutcheon

Why are some people making the shower incident the cut off point when they continued to have a good relationship together, enough to give him a pity fuck at least. Isn't context allowed in these situations.

Skoen

How is it different because they are drunk and vomiting in a bathroom, where they are more vulnerable?

Because they are friends and were very drunk. What he did was misjudging the signals and situation in his drunken state, nothing more. Sure, I don´t agree with it and I definately wouldn´t have done it myself, but it litteraly could happen to "anyone" who´s shitfaced.

The fact that he walked out of there when she said no should prove the point that he misread the situation.
Plus the fact that they continued to have a good relationship together afterwards.

Which on the other hand also makes it all the more dumb considering how he is handling the entire thing as of now...

petran79

Banned
The response was what I’d expect from a community that tends toward a pitchforks first approach.

The modding policy, especially in OT, led to the site being seen as something about of a safe space for a lot of groups normally marginalised on gaming or mainstream websites and for the accusations against the owner to be ifvthe nature they are...well I can see why a lot of people would be genuinely hurt & angry about that.

Yup.

Even on GAF, people from those sensitive groups were banned while participating in heatfull discussions.

This would not happen if GAF was a site dedicated exclusively to those groups

Why are some people making the shower incident the cut off point when they continued to have a good relationship together, enough to give him a pity fuck at least. Isn't context allowed in these situations.

Shhhh, you'll hinder the outrage if you keep spitting things like context, facts, patience, and due diligence.

Apples_89

Has it been clarified why they were on this trip, alone, and drinking excessively, alone, in a hotel together, when she was apparently very vocal about having a boyfriend and was completely appalled by this advancement based on her unwavering loyalty to this man? This is a wrinkle I just can't seem to iron out. Maybe there is a good justification that I'm missing, but from an outsider's perspective, it's certainly an odd sequence of events which people who are condemning Evilore seem to be glossing over.

Temp_User

Regardless as to whether this sexual misconduct allegation is true or not, the way Evilore handled this issue was plain ass. Instructing the mods to keep this on the down-low only makes him look guilty and makes the people working with him complicit to a potential crime.

heringer

Someone on the street as in, a stranger? Yeah, totally the same.

Look at the facts. Leupp maintained a relationship with him after the event. She had a romantic episode with him and they even traveled together again. Is that the behavior of someone who got sexually harassed? Would YOU do any of that to a person who sexually assaulted/harassed you?

I'm not saying there wasn't a misconduct here, but she clearly didn't think it was as serious and damning as some believe. There's a lot of nuances to this story that we just don't know about.

heringer

Regardless as to whether this sexual misconduct allegation is true or not, the way Evilore handled this issue was plain ass. Instructing the mods to keep this on the down-low only makes him look guilty and makes the people working with him complicit to a potential crime.
That, I can agree with. He definitely handled the whole situation very poorly.

BBboy20

Has it been clarified why they were on this trip, alone, and drinking excessively, alone, in a hotel together, when she was apparently very vocal about having a boyfriend and was completely appalled by this advancement based on her unwavering loyalty to this man? This is a wrinkle I just can't seem to iron out. Maybe there is a good justification that I'm missing, but from an outsider's perspective, it's certainly an odd sequence of events which people who are condemning Evilore seem to be glossing over.
We're not. The main situation is much bigger then this incident...which can't even be discussed when so many here are being apathetic about a intoxcated woman's trauma when a man invaded her fucking private space.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Shhhh, you'll hinder the outrage if you keep spitting things like context, facts, patience, and due diligence.

God this is depressing to watch.

Because it literally does not matter. She did not consent to him exposing himself, while he knew she had a boyfriend she was exclusive with, especially in a moment of vulnerability.

That she was able to forgive him (or rather look past it) later on and eventually get together DOES NOT MATTER IN THAT MOMENT.

If it didn't bother her, she wouldn't have made that post on her Facebook site (in which she didn't mention EL at all, so why would she lie at that point?)

Royce McCutcheon

Because it literally does not matter. She did not consent to him exposing himself, while he knew she had a boyfriend she was exclusive with, especially in a moment of vulnerability.

That she was able to forgive him (or rather look past it) later on and eventually get together DOES NOT MATTER IN THAT MOMENT.

If it didn't bother her, she wouldn't have made that post on her Facebook site (in which she didn't mention EL at all, so why would she lie at that point?)

People lie all the time. It certainly does matter if charges are pressed. Don't be ignorant

GAF is fucked, the worms are out of the ground, the lunatics are in the asylum, the walls are down and there's no putting them back up again.

Half the posts from here on out will be about games, the rest about the importance of keeping politics out of games/GAF.

Apples_89

We're not. The main situation is much bigger then this incident...which can't even be discussed when so many here are being apathetic about a intoxcated woman's trauma when a man invaded her fucking private space.

Thanks for clarifying, it all makes sense now.

Thanks for proving my point. We don't even know what happened, let alone if it did happen because it's easier to outrage than it is to wait and see the actual truth. OT was famous for this and it's mob behavior, particularly with 'sjw' topics.

geordiemp

Until the new forum opens up and the people who want to rant about their politics move over there. I can't wait for that to happen, so we can finally have our gaming GAF forum back.

Hey, what game you playing ?

I just started shadow of mordor, but still yearning for Destiny 2 to have a change of heart regarding drops and every gun a skin.

flkraven

I know it sounds selfish, but I don't want to be derided because I am on GAF. As much as I like some of the mods, I didn't come here for them or for Evilore or whatever. Quite frankly, I came here in spite of some of those people.

I came here because I loved the community, I loved the discussion, I loved being able to dissect leaks or directly interact with those working in gaming. Heck, I loved that GAF held it self to a higher standard. Where other sites can get bogged by trolling, nefarious shit posters, etc, the comparatively strict requirements to get into (and stay) in this community fostered cleaner, better discussions.

When people would talk about the 'cesspools' like gamefaqs, 4chan, or even reddit, whether right or wrong, it was generally assumed that GAF was above those places. When subsets of those places would make fun of GAF as a pedo/sjw paradise, it was generally considered nonsense from alt-righters or trolls. So now after all this drama, has GAFs 'position' in the community changed? I've always been proud to be a GAFer, but for the first time now I just don't know. I don't want to be part of a community with a 'bad' reputation, you know? Like I said at the beginning, I don't want to be derided because I like chatting with people about a hobby we share.

Gurnlei

I know it sounds selfish, but I don't want to be derided because I am on GAF. As much as I like some of the mods, I didn't come here for them or for Evilore or whatever. Quite frankly, I came here in spite of some of those people.

I came here because I loved the community, I loved the discussion, I loved being able to dissect leaks or directly interact with those working in gaming. Heck, I loved that GAF held it self to a higher standard. Where other sites can get bogged by trolling, nefarious shit posters, etc, the comparatively strict requirements to get into (and stay) in this community fostered cleaner, better discussions.

When people would talk about the 'cesspools' lock gamefaqs, 4chan, or even reddit, whether right or wrong, it was generally assumed that GAF was above those places. When subsets of those places would make fun of GAF as a pedo/sjw paradise, it was generally considered nonsense from alt-righters or trolls. So now after all this drama, has GAFs 'position' in the community changed? I've always been proud to be a GAFer, but for the first time now I just don't know. I don't want to be part of a community with a 'bad' reputation, you know? Like I said at the beginning, I don't want to be derided because I like chatting with people about a hobby we share.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. I honestly don't know of a replacement for the GAF that existed last week when it comes to talking about gaming.

Top Bottom