• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Jintor

Patrick's great but I find him sounding weirdly uncomfortable on this podcast. More so than the others I've heard him on. He seems constantly out of breath and struggles to make his opinions in long uninterrupted monologues.

Probably has something to do with casting remotely

Mr. F

Banned
Patrick I love you but you gotta cut down on the y'know speech tic. It's really hashing my vibe

Came to post the same, Monday's ep was particularly brutal. Between that tic and using "interesting" as a shorthand for everything Patrick is kind of tough to listen to in his breathless/runaway train monologue moments.

Edit; to be fair I think the criticism in part applies to Austin too; the podcast kind of feels like people taking turns monologuing more so than having a conversation - especially during emails.

Really liked the Senran Kagura interview, especially the bit about how they made a new illustration instead of changing an old one to conform with western standards. Handling these kinds of cultural translations as opportunities to add value to your game through new content and new ways to show your game is super nice.

Lingitiz

Came to post the same, Monday's ep was particularly brutal. Between that tic and using "interesting" as a shorthand for everything Patrick is kind of tough to listen to in his breathless/runaway train monologue moments.

Edit; to be fair I think the criticism in part applies to Austin too; the podcast kind of feels like people taking turns monologuing more so than having a conversation - especially during emails.
I feel like Patrick has never been this bad in other casts throughout the years. He just sounds super uncomfortable with the constant uses and you knows, and as a result it's hard to listen to any points he's attempting to make. Austin has similar habits of making every point start with "Oh! Yada Yada Yada," but I've never actually had any difficulty in understanding what he's getting at.

I'm at the point where I'm likely going to stop listening. I love all the personalities on the podcast and was so excited to hear this was happening, but I don't know if the chemistry or the depth are really there yet. The remote casting is definitely felt, and the casts are too short to really settle into a nice groove.

Catvoca

Banned
Seems like they're aware of the problems recording the show over the internet, they were joking about it in the most recent episode and saying that they were trying to do better. Also that Frog Fractions 2 (probably?) ARG stuff sounds wild lol.

I've listened to enough hours of Patrick on podcasts that i'm so used to his verbal tics that they don't bother me anymore, but I can definitely see how they could be annoying.

Jintor

Listening to the last Match 3 made it clear it's just diverging about the Waypoint Radio format that was tripping Patrick up. It seemed a lot better on Friday in any case. Maybe the video feed helps?

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah Friday's ep feels a bit better in terms of the pauses and awkwardness. I still feel like the podcast could go further in feeling conversational and Danielle feels left out or interrupted a lot, but hopefully that turns around. Still very much feels like "the Patrick and Austin show".

Anyone else feel like Patrick's voice has changed in the past couple weeks? I've been listening to him since 1UP Yours, and his voice has always been incredibly distinct, but on last Friday's podcast it sounded so different to me that I assumed it was a new hire.

I'm catching up on the podcast and just heard Austin casually refer to Overwatch as a MOBA, and Danielle and Patrick go along with it as if that's true; which stopped me in my tracks.

Am I playing the same game as them?

I'm catching up on the podcast and just heard Austin casually refer to Overwatch as a MOBA, and Danielle and Patrick go along with it as if that's true; which stopped me in my tracks.

It has a lot of MOBA elements like the loot boxes, leveling system, and abilities with cooldowns. I really can't get into that game for whatever reason.

Lol the latest podcast. Austin goes on an inspired rant that Nitro Plus Blasterz Heroines Infinite Duel is not up for best fighting game in the game awards

I think it's fair to call overwatch a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) shooter. It's certainly not DOTA or League in gameplay, but it shares similarity in the core concepts that those games are trying to capture (heroes, cooldowns, independent match progression, etc.).

Goodness, this Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroine Infinite Duel speech from Austin. And it warms my heart that Jason Oestreicher and Jeff Gerstmann had his back.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What were the youtube channels they mentioned at the end of Monday's podcast? I only found Errant Signal, knew that one already. Heather Alexandra's youtube channel I found doesn't really have what Austin mentioned and I can't find anything about Remix Gals (?) or whatever Danielle mentioned.

edit: And yeah, no way Overwatch is a MOBA.

Johndoey

Banned
Overwatch is a hero shooter not a MOBA, I'd argue this isn't even a debatable point.
It has a few elements in common but that's it. Battleborn on the other hand is a different beast.

Didn't plan on getting dishonored 2 soon, but they're getting me hype! .....feel like I might need to try and get Watchdogs 2 now as well
-_-

What were the youtube channels they mentioned at the end of Monday's podcast? I only found Errant Signal, knew that one already. Heather Alexandra's youtube channel I found doesn't really have what Austin mentioned and I can't find anything about Remix Gals (?) or whatever Danielle mentioned.

Her channel has what has to be the seminal text on Shadow of The Colossus. Don't know if that's what Austin mentioned, maybe it was her crying because of Skies of Arcadia?

That was awwwkwaaard.

Still think Heather is the best writer around tho, bar none.

I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet, but she's probably talking about Geek Remix.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/user/GeekRemix

I wish their twitter account would distinguish new articles from old articles... doesn't make any actual difference because i make an effort to read everything but i give preference to old articles that i haven't read yet and save those to Pocket and read the new articles on their website. I'd enjoy that little bit of quality of life twitter improvements.

I listened to the podcast about Dishonored 2 and something that Patrick said kinda irked me in a real weird way. How in Dishonored 2 his desire to be stealthy seems to be at odds with the sheer fun of the combat and otherwise violent behavior. And what struck me was that isn't most stealth about abstinence from, uh, fun? Or, perhaps it's best described as the acknowledgment that you take satisfaction in following certain rules and that you're willing to abstain from more immediate and visceral joys.

I feel like that's the thing of most stealth games, from MGS to Deus Ex and even to Splinter Cell. Thief not really because there's... really not all that much to abstain from, and maybe not Castle Wolfenstein, but for most of them i think that's the case.

Anno

Dishonored in general seems to fuck with people. It's like people assume the point of the game is to be stealthy and feel weirdly guilty about murdering people. This despite the fact that plenty of people play it as an action game and don't even bother with stealth. It's weird.

derFeef

Making stealth satisfying is hard. I think one way to do this, is like the old Splinder Cell games. You need to be stealthy to be successful, and the game gives you cool gadgets to accomplish that. Chaos Theory is huge love.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I would argue that historically, stealth games have you underpowered and weak, so as to you having to be stealthy to avoid death and punishment, not "fun" (I really don't like this definition).

This changed more recently with games like Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja and Deus Ex (to a certain degree). I think their trick was to have you still be vulnerable, but also powerful if you're using your abilities well. A high risk, high reward type for the attack part of the gameplay and a low risk, high reward for stealth, so that it's still mostly the way to go. But now you also feel like a badass if you fought your way out of a tight scenario.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thief 1 and 2 are still the best at classic stealth in my opinion. It wasn't about just navigating a maze to find the best way to get the drop on guard after guard, and neither was getting spotted an instant death sentence. Rather, you wanted to avoid getting caught because even if it wasn't a game over you'd have to book it out of whatever area you're in and it would fuck with your plans

Top Bottom