• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Sabas

Banned
I'm...fine with it? Not everything works, obviously, but I appreciate they're doing something different.

Also get a podcast app with a skip 30 second button if it bothers you that much.

Jintor

I love the way it segues into the cast and the way they time it so Austin goes "Peace" and then the whole thing goes nutso batshit and fades out. It's great.

It's the worst part of the podcast for me. It's certainly not worth the awkward shout-out every episode.

Not worth the awkward complaints either. The music's fine.

I am curious what people would replace that music with though.

I love the way it segues into the cast and the way they time it so Austin goes "Peace" and then the whole thing goes nutso batshit and fades out. It's great.

I don't like the outro as much as the intro, but that timing is great.

I've been largely ignoring the high school crossover fanfic stuff because it's so absolutely totally not my thing, but there's still some good stuff in there like today's voice actors strike writeup.

The fanfic thing I think is in keeping with their mission statement, which is to talk about the culture and critique of video games as much as, maybe more than, video games themselves. It also fits with what I think of as their unofficial mission statement of "you're allowed to be weird here." I hope they do something different next year but I'm totally okay with it existing this year.

That SAG-AFTRA strike article is a great read, if depressing. It's a real bummer that the VG corps are trying to sow dissent with lies like that--the differences between residuals and bonuses are abundantly clear as outlined there. It'd be amazing if they somehow managed to nudge devs into unionising.

Also, that bit at the bottom about Insomniac not reaching out for comment got me for some reason. I guess they're striking at Insomniac's studio still, otherwise the line just comes out of nowhere.

Katsuragi

I haven't read too many articles on the actual site so far, but I really like Waypoint Radio. It's one of the few gaming related podcasts that doesn't annoy me.

While I'm being negative, they need to stop posting inside joke slack screenshots on the Waypoint twitter.

Hell no. Their Twitter account is great! I guess it helps that I also like crunchyroll's social media presence. They're very similar.

Alienfan

I haven't been listening to the podcast for a while, but can some explain to me these high-school themed drawings that accompany every article? There must have been a reference I missed.

Ominym

Banned
Yeah, really not feeling this GOTY stuff at all. More power to them for doing something different, but this really isn't what I'm looking for.

Lijik

The high school stuff is fucking terrible. While I'm being negative, they need to stop posting inside joke slack screenshots on the Waypoint twitter.

And I'm sick of the fucking podcast music.
What is it like being so crabby over the most meaningless shit day in and day out.

brad-t

Yeah, I definitely don't like the GOTY theme either. It's not because I have a problem with the concept of it, but it's so tangentially related to the article's actual content that I just find it distracting.

More subtle writing on games, both in their design and their intersection with culture is something that I was really excited for from Waypoint. But this all feels really self-serving.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The GOTY doesn't work for me because I'm so completely disconnected from fandom, both from any specific fandoms and from the concept in general, and a yearbook that feels like a celebration of it just doesn't click with me

Whatevs

More subtle writing on games, both in their design and their intersection with culture is something that I was really excited for from Waypoint. But this all feels really self-serving.

I don't think its self serving, I think its just serving an audience who isn't me whatsoever

かっこいい人だ!

ええ?ほんとう?

What is that from? Its like, a dad talking with this son or something but it's clearly a sample of something completely different I guess.

faridmon

The last two Podcast were awful and I had to stop listening to them because they are leaning way hard into Fanfic and Overwatch.... fan stuff.

Especially the GOTY podcast, example:

- The British dude was awesome, talking about how he likes the game because it pushes you to play as different characters as possible and Hence, doesn't main any..

Austin and Danielle then jumps in cuts his conversation and start giggling ''But who do you ship?'' and he was like ''huh?'' and then they just continued '' You can't just say which two you relationship, but thats what it means''

- Patrick was lauding the New Call duty for having great plot and characters you care about. Especially the Robot buddy.

Danielle ''Ferren was awesome, because she is a woman''

Wat....

Austin ''And guess what she stars in our fanfic''

Me? delete the Episode.

The last two Podcast were awful and I had to stop listening to them because they are leaning way hard into Fanfic and Overwatch.... fan stuff.

Especially the GOTY podcast, example:

- The British dude was awesome, talking about how he likes the game because it pushes you to play as different characters as possible and Hence, doesn't main any..

Austin and Danielle then jumps in cuts his conversation and start giggling ''But who do you ship?'' and he was like ''huh?'' and then they just continued '' You can't just say which two you relationship, but thats what it means''

- Patrick was lauding the New Call duty for having great plot and characters you care about. Especially the Robot buddy.

Danielle ''Ferren was awesome, because she is a woman''

Wat....

Austin ''And guess what she stars in our fanfic''

Me? delete the Episode.

Yeah, I ain't weighed in on this to avoid stoking any con-TROV-ersy but I gotta put in my piece that the IDEA of a GOTY fanfic High was fine but the execution and the inability to reconcile the lukewarm reaction to its quality with their own exuberance over it ain't a good look.

Cut your losses, guys. No shade; it just didn't work. :\

Catvoca

Banned

The new call of duty does have a good plot though. Ethan, the robot buddy, is fantastic. Amazing credit sequence too.

Agreed on the fanfic/shipping stuff.

Mr. F

Banned
I've stopped listening regularly but monday's ep is alright so far. Lack of Patrick has Danielle able to contribute more than "haha yeah! Yep!" which is nice.

Flipyap

I've stopped listening regularly but monday's ep is alright so far. Lack of Patrick has Danielle able to contribute more than "haha yeah! Yep!" which is nice.
Yeah, it was a nice change. Danielle's a fantastic guest, but for whatever reason she turns into a "yes person" whenever she settles into a co-host chair.

She reached Peak Yeah during the GOTY podcast, it got so excessive, I had to write down her contribution to the discussion about tone-deaf PR, it went like... this:
"Ohhh, yeah. Yeah, yeahhh. Yeah! Ahhh! That's rough. Yes! Yes. Oh god, yeah. Yeah. It was augs lives matter, yeah. Mhm. Oh god."

Sorry, but that's just not great radio.

Amagon

I'm close to giving up on this podcast. It gets a bit tiring, hearing how bad 2016 is, in every podcast with its melancholy behind it between the crew. Also, nothing personal against Danielle, but her laugh is excruciating to say the least.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody find Austin steering conversations back towards himself too often? He did it at least 2-3 times in the latest podcast and I swear I've noticed him doing it a lot in general. Like he'll ask someone for their take on something (in this instance he was asking Danika and Danielle about their GotY lists) and then a few sentences later he's relating it back to his own experiences and going off on long rambly tirades.

To the people giving up on the podcast, I'm kinda almost there too. I love Austin but i'm starting to realize that I liked Austin a lot more as a spoke in the GB wheel, where they've got a family of disparate personality types that play off each other, than I do as the boss of a gaming website so laser focused on appealing to the tumblr crowd.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fwiw, I've been enjoying the podcast. They're still kinda finding their equilibrium, you know, but it's a fun listen on the train.

spiritfox

Anybody find Austin steering conversations back towards himself too often? He did it at least 2-3 times in the latest podcast and I swear I've noticed him doing it a lot in general. Like he'll ask someone for their take on something (in this instance he was asking Danika and Danielle about their GotY lists) and then a few sentences later he's relating it back to his own experiences and going off on long rambly tirades.

To the people giving up on the podcast, I'm kinda almost there too. I love Austin but i'm starting to realize that I liked Austin a lot more as a spoke in the GB wheel, where they've got a family of disparate personality types that play off each other, than I do as the boss of a gaming website so laser focused on appealing to the tumblr crowd.

Yeah, I do feel like Austin dominates the conversation a little too much right now, especially if Patrick is not around. Like with the end of year episode where he cut into Mike who was talking about something, and in the end Mike didn't even get to return to his point. I'm fine with the tone taken though, but Austin needs to stop with the website urls already. It's a little overplayed.

xuchu

Yeah while I also really like and value Austin's opinion on things, I also think he dominates the conversation and the others often turn into yes men/women. Maybe Danielle should host or something. Doesn't help that when Patrick is on the podcast, it's via Skype and the chemistry suffers as a result imo. Really liked the chemistry more with Austin, Vinny and Alex due to different personalities and opinions but I'm optimistic that they'll get better working together.

faridmon

I haven't given up completely. Will check in back in a week or two when the whole GOTY and their take on 2016 dies down. Really tired of their fanservice talk.

I don't mind Danielle's agreeable personality, but i wish her arguments and take on things gets deeper than simply ''that character is a woman'' and thats it. When she talk in length, she can be very fun, but her bite-sized comments just devolves on gender take on things (and just a surface level). Tell me why gender/ piolitics matter in your conversation because that is a very interesting look on things. I don't want a summerised bits here and there.

The new call of duty does have a good plot though. Ethan, the robot buddy, is fantastic. Amazing credit sequence too.

Agreed on the fanfic/shipping stuff.

I agree. That is why I was happy Patrick mentioning it, and also frustrated when Danielle cut him off so immaturely.

Anybody find Austin steering conversations back towards himself too often? He did it at least 2-3 times in the latest podcast and I swear I've noticed him doing it a lot in general.
I was gonna make a post about this but I deleted it. But yeah, as much as I love Austin's discourse and could listen to him on his own for hours, I do not like the balance in this podcast at all. I felt very similarly when I was last listening to Idle Thumbs regularly (when Danielle was around) and Chris would dominate the discussion and she would do a lot of agreeing. It's just a bit frustrating when I wanna hear Danielle's opinions so much.

I find Patrick actually benefits from being remote in this sense, because he just pushes through.

Zojirushi

love Austin but i'm starting to realize that I liked Austin a lot more as a spoke in the GB wheel, where they've got a family of disparate personality types that play off each other, than I do as the boss of a gaming website so laser focused on appealing to the tumblr crowd.

What's the tumblr crowd?

I'm a big fan of Austin and Patrick but the goty stuff was ham-handed and poorly-executed, while I find the podcast to be nigh unlistenable.

Not that they need to change on my account but for now, I'm out. Good luck Austin, I just couldn't be less interested in 'ships and 'fics.

Top Bottom