• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Catvoca

Banned
There's a new weekly video series called "Waypoint's guide to games" with the first episode on Titanfall. Seems cool? Great production values but I'm not quite sure who the audience for this is.

J_Viper

Nice, a new Waypoint episode, I should downl.....

GcNmPEF.png

giphy.gif

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah I was stoked for a new episode yesterday, then I saw that shit and couldn't bail quick enough.

Catvoca

Banned
It's a really good episode. It's still about games, it's just takes more of an intersectional approach. ya'll are missing out.

A very good episode that's great evidence why I would listen to them on that sorta thing on a "gaming" podcast (that, and I'm making up for lost time from dropping political matters from disgust over the last few years).

Flipyap

Nice, a new Waypoint episode, I should downl.....

GcNmPEF.png

giphy.gif
Yeah I was stoked for a new episode yesterday, then I saw that shit and couldn't bail quick enough.
I really don't understand these reactions. Not ignoring these issues the way every other video game press outlet does was always part of Waypoint's mission statement.
Austin's willingness to openly discuss these topics was always what made his voice so refreshing among the Giant Bomb staff.

It was a really good episode, too. The conversation with Steve Gaynor and "The Political One" are exactly what I want from Waypoint Radio. They've been on a roll this year, the podcast improved massively after the rough patch that was the GOTY weirdness.

I really don't understand these reactions. Not ignoring these issues the way every other video game press outlet does was always part of Waypoint's mission statement.
Austin's willingness to openly discuss these topics was always what made his voice so refreshing among the Giant Bomb staff.

It was a really good episode, too. The conversation with Steve Gaynor and "The Political One" are exactly what I want from Waypoint Radio. They've been on a roll this year, the podcast improved massively after the rough patch that was the GOTY weirdness.

I think it's great that Austin has a platform to discuss these topics and I wouldn't ask him to change what he's doing. But not everyone is going to enjoy the topics and they are free not to listen.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think it's great that Austin has a platform to discuss these topics and I wouldn't ask him to change what he's doing. But not everyone is going to enjoy the topics and they are free not to listen.

genuine question - what did they think they were getting from this site? The crew they've assembled are all pretty politically and socially vocal and have shown very little hesitation or fear in tackling such topics. For some of them, it's defined their most interesting work. Now they're doing exactly that on their podcast and people are acting shocked?

robotrock

Banned
genuine question - what did they think they were getting from this site? The crew they've assembled are all pretty politically and socially vocal and have shown very little hesitation or fear in tackling such topics. For some of them, it's defined their most interesting work. Now they're doing exactly that on their podcast and people are acting shocked?

This. If you were stoked for a new episode of the podcast....but then you bailed once you saw that podcast title, have you actually been listening to the podcast?

Sabas

Banned
I thought they had a pretty honest and thoughtful discussion. I'm not sure what people were expecting with Waypoint. It's been weird seeing the reaction to the podcast or their Twitter or their take on GotY stuff.

Katsuragi

I thought they had a pretty honest and thoughtful discussion. I'm not sure what people were expecting with Waypoint. It's been weird seeing the reaction to the podcast or their Twitter or their take on GotY stuff.

I can kinda see where people come from in regard to Waypoint's Game of the Year approach, but the reactions to the podcast discussions are indeed a bit baffling, especially after Austin's various mission statements and the way they present themselves on their personal Twitter accounts. Personally, I think the most recent, politically charged episode was super interesting and I hope they do more of these.

Mr. F

Banned
Man Austin needs to chill a bit, he interjected and hijacked other people's answers a handful of times this ep to the point where I felt kind of frustrated on their behalf that they couldn't finish a thought. Dude needs to learn being ok with not having the last word.

I'm really glad there is an article on the wii shop music and how great it was and still is.

I remember my little sister would come home from school put on the wii weather channel and fall asleep to the music.

Hasney

Man Austin needs to chill a bit, he interjected and hijacked other people's answers a handful of times this ep to the point where I felt kind of frustrated on their behalf that they couldn't finish a thought. Dude needs to learn being ok with not having the last word.

That's pretty much the MO of the podcast, sadly.

Yeah, it's beginning to turn me off to be honest. Of the gaming podcasts I listen to, he's more controlling of the conversation than Brad on the Bombcast or Mark on 8-4 Play and they can be bad sometimes. Vinny is a great host on the Beastcast for moving things along but letting people have their say and chucking emails to individuals to read. Bosman on the EZA podcast tries to act purely as a moderator and only comments when everyone else has had their say and while Ben on Frame Trap wants his say (and I'm glad he does, he's great to listen to articulate his thoughts), he does it in a way to make sure the rest of the guests have their say afterwards.

While I really do enjoy Austins take on things, sometimes it feels like "HEY YOU'RE MID-SCENTENCE BUT IT'S ME, AUSTIN, AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY". Hopefully he can change that in time, because hey, it is still new and he's even new to his position, because I think the three of them (and Danika when she appears) could make one of the better overall games podcasts out there.

Chuck

Still without luck
I can't believe they did another one. Do they want zero fans? No one wants this shit on a gaming website.

I can't believe they did another one. Do they want zero fans? No one wants this shit on a gaming website.

Well, have you not read or listened to their vision???

It seems that anyone to complain lives in a bubble. You knew what you were getting into. You have other options for pure gaming stuff...

SamNW

I'd sooner see Waypoint shut down than see it cater to those who say, "Keep your politics out of my games criticism!"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You really can't complain if they decide to talk about politics by now. They have certainly given you enough "warnings".

Mr. F

Banned
Jep.

Though, they do agree a bit too much with each other for it to support a whole episode imo.

I don't personally believe they have enough to say to make for particularly interesting political podcasts, but that's also why I skip them and move on with my day.

spiritfox

I just want to pop in and say I like the podcasts and naysayers can go and listen to the hundreds of other podcasts that don't touch politics. Thanks.

jwhit28

I thought them being more focused on the culture around videogames was gonna lead to pieces like Red Bulls Digging in the Carts that talked about Japanese videogame music's influence. Like Vice's other investigative coverage they would go places like AGDQ or EVO and they would immerse themselves in the different communities built around games putting out articles and interviews built around that. When they stick close to that idea, like with the SFV community article, it's great. I could do without the fan fic stuff. I'm also not a fan of the "what does [person associated with gaming] think about [news headline]" articles. I'm sorry but I don't care what game developers or gaming personalities think about Trump any more than I care what Ja Rule thinks about 9/11. I'm still cheering for them and hope the site does well.

Flipyap

I want this shit on a gaming website. We NEED this shit on a gaming website.
Avoiding these topics since the medium's inception played a huge part in turning this subculture into an elitist white boys' club, giving them the idea that they get to decide what can be talked about on gaming websites and by whom.

There are hundreds of websites you could choose from if you only want to hear from people who'd rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend that everything is fine (or whatever it is "cool guys" do). Waypoint isn't and was never supposed to be one of those.

D i Z

It's almost as if people are listening to the cast, but not reading the articles and completely ignoring largely why these folks do what they do.
This is exactly what they promised it would be, and I'm thankful for it. In the desert of thoughtful output, I'm fucking dying of thirst for it.
There aren't enough outlets with interested parties doing this.

I do agree that Austin could ease back a bit on steering the conversation. Just a wee bit.

Chuck

Still without luck
Sorry my one post made this thread that barely gets any traction to fire up.

I'll just say this and move on. It's telling that it took waypoint until the inauguration until it did a politics podcast. They never shied away from their views in the past, but never considered doing a podcast like this before the election. Why? Because of that garbage democrat complacency that directly lost the election. They're not to blame, but that know-it-all liberal attitude isn't doing anything for me. It's also not going to bring in new people because no one wants to feel like they're being talked down to. Austin is great at doing that.

Regardless of any of that, I don't feel like any of them are even remotely equipped to talk knowlegably about the subject at hand and definitely not in any way that I want.

bsej87

Sorry my one post made this thread that barely gets any traction to fire up.

I'll just say this and move on. It's telling that it took waypoint until the inauguration until it did a politics podcast. They never shied away from their views in the past, but never considered doing a podcast like this before the election. Why? Because of that garbage democrat complacency that directly lost the election. They're not to blame, but that know-it-all liberal attitude isn't doing anything for me. It's also not going to bring in new people because no one wants to feel like they're being talked down to. Austin is great at doing that.

Regardless of any of that, I don't feel like any of them are even remotely equipped to talk knowlegably about the subject at hand and definitely not in any way that I want.

The irony

Sabas

Banned
I'm amused that Austin showed up to that Shia Lebeouf stream and didn't realize that was Jaden Smith.
I didn't know that was Jaden until I listened to the podcast...

The first one was fine, so I don't see what the problem is. Now they just need to fix the part of the theme song where a child falls down a well.

I wouldn't mind the theme song if

1. they didn't plug it every episode. If it's a part of their contract to mention it every ep they should drop the theme. It's not that good. BO hyphen EN. I don't give a flying fuck.
2. The vocal samples/words. They don't do anything for me.

Flipyap

How can you even tell if you keep dismissing them based on podcast titles?
They mainly discuss the way these things affect their lives and the lives of people close to them. Even putting aside the idea that they're not knowledgeable enough to talk about their own lives, who in the games press could be better suited to discussing these issues? Why shouldn't anyone at least try, even if they don't meet your (um...) standards?

Jintor

I finally got around to listening to the episode and them trying to place geralt of rivia on the political spectrum was excellent

Top Bottom