• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

They need some GamerGate to balance it all out.

And a "buy/rent/wait" lightning round. Maybe ignore social issues related to games more often too.

[/s]

All I want to see is a consistent, balanced structure for each episode.

Maybe a rotation of who hosts each episode. Austin always has something substantial to say when others are real apprehensive about getting to the meat of a discussion (same with his time on the Giant Beastcast), but this podcast is too short for the current distribution of input. He could carry the podcast on his own, but he has to make room for the others here.

Ideally, this podcast would be three times as long with each person "hosting" an hour, but that's not happening. I just hate feeling like I'm missing out on what Danielle or Patrick have to say about something.

EDIT: what they absolutely shouldn't do is shift focus for the podcast. "Too politically correct" is code for people who can't or don't want to engage in social dynamics/issues, in games or wherever else. That's what Waypoint is about, based on everything they've said and written about so far. Considering how hard it is to see remotely mainstream coverage of games that handle trans issues well, or direct acknowledgement of shit like Palmer Luckey's dabbling with white supremacy, and so forth, this is welcome.

They are carving out a niche and it doesn't have to be entirely what you as an individual wants. It's not about you.

lawnchair

Banned
just started listening to their podcast. this waypoint high stuff is kind of a headscratcher for me .. maybe you're reaching a bit too far austin, i love you tho

and yeah the part about shipping made me want to slit my wrist, wtf was that? is this what animu people talk about?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick should host the podcast I think, when he ran Match 3 he balanced things really well between all three members
Yeah, I would like to see them try that. Just feels like Austin is already preparing a full article in his head whenever they touch on a subject. Which is totally fine, but not when he's hosting, too.

Catvoca

Banned
Patrick should host the podcast I think, when he ran Match 3 he balanced things really well between all three members

It's weird that he doesn't considering he is the one that he posts them online and he writes the descriptions in the first person like he's the host. I'd like to see him hosting too.

"Too politcally correct" is certainly not a problem I have with them...

Same. Weird complaint.

faridmon

EDIT: what they absolutely shouldn't do is shift focus for the podcast. "Too politically correct" is code for people who can't or don't want to engage in social dynamics/issues, in games or wherever else. That's what Waypoint is about, based on everything they've said and written about so far. Considering how hard it is to see remotely mainstream coverage of games that handle trans issues well, or direct acknowledgement of shit like Palmer Luckey's dabbling with white supremacy, and so forth, this is welcome.

They are carving out a niche and it doesn't have to be entirely what you as an individual wants. It's not about you.

What?

If anything, I want it even to be more ''too poliically correct''

I just feel that they are scratching the surface and many times, they don't articulate on why things should or shouldn't be the way it is.

Also, the fanservice is diluting their discussion a bit.

Love the idea that Patrick (or even Danielle) to take over the hosting duties. Maybe Austin doesn't have it what it takes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They're not too politically correct, by any stretch. Being more socially engaged and discussing politics in media is exactly what I want to see out of this team, its their best stuff

But its also not incorrect to say that they seem to be trying to appeal to the "Tumblr crowd", and what I mean by that is appealing to the people who are deep in on fandom, both the concept and the individual fandom, in a way that I'm just not. I'm never going to see someone's piece of fan art and have a stronger reaction than "oh neat", and even my reaction to intense displays of devotion like the people who do AGDQ and other speedruns is still "that's cool, good for them" than like,"yess all these people share my intense passion for games"

I appreciate games like I appreciate film. I enjoy talking about it and experiencing it endlessly, and sharing that with people. But "devotion" is a tier above how I'll probably ever engage

Austin and Danielle and Patrick clearly see how emotionally invested people become in the communities around games and they see the value there and I do too in an abstract sense, but its just...its not something that ever grabs me personally. Its neat.

Maybe a rotation of who hosts each episode. Austin always has something substantial to say when others are real apprehensive about getting to the meat of a discussion (same with his time on the Giant Beastcast), but this podcast is too short for the current distribution of input. He could carry the podcast on his own, but he has to make room for the others here.

Ideally, this podcast would be three times as long with each person "hosting" an hour, but that's not happening. I just hate feeling like I'm missing out on what Danielle or Patrick have to say about something.

This is pretty much how I feel. I have absolutely no issue with the tone, type of content, ideology or any of that stuff, but I think the cast could use some balance on a person to person basis. Maybe extend the time to an hour and a half? Even though a short cast is valuable as well. I imagine it'll settle out over time, but the Bombcast has been around forever and it often turns into just Brad and Jeff, so maybe it won't.

FWIW there is basically nothing about Waypoint on Tumblr. Their official blog only ever made three posts and the few other mentions of them are in the context of other sites (GB and Polygon). Other personality-focused gaming content tends to get at least a small following on Tumblr, and Polygon actually has a pretty great fanart community there. So it's weird that they have no presence there.

I guess when it comes down to it the thing about the site for me is that since they launched it has just been an article factory with a twice-weekly podcast that has been of pretty shaky quality. Their 72 hour stream was great but... they haven't put out any video content other than that that I'm aware of. They do streams but they don't archive them on their site so if you're like me and don't use Twitter, you'll probably miss all of them. So if they're trying to be a personality-focused site, I don't think they're doing a good job. If they really just want to be a hub for articles about niche gaming culture, well then hey, I can't deny that the articles are good. But I feel like that wasn't what they pitched to me when they launched the site.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They're not too politically correct, by any stretch. Being more socially engaged and discussing politics in media is exactly what I want to see out of this team, its their best stuff

But its also not incorrect to say that they seem to be trying to appeal to the "Tumblr crowd", and what I mean by that is appealing to the people who are deep in on fandom, both the concept and the individual fandom, in a way that I'm just not. I'm never going to see someone's piece of fan art and have a stronger reaction than "oh neat", and even my reaction to intense displays of devotion like the people who do AGDQ and other speedruns is still "that's cool, good for them" than like,"yess all these people share my intense passion for games"

I appreciate games like I appreciate film. I enjoy talking about it and experiencing it endlessly, and sharing that with people. But "devotion" is a tier above how I'll probably ever engage

Austin and Danielle and Patrick clearly see how emotionally invested people become in the communities around games and they see the value there and I do too in an abstract sense, but its just...its not something that ever grabs me personally. Its neat.

They need some GamerGate to balance it all out.

And a "buy/rent/wait" lightning round. Maybe ignore social issues related to games more often too.

[/s]

I don't have much to add, but I just give props to both of these posts. Really nailed feelings I had trouble describing.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah I have Waypoint on my RSS and most days I just blind-mark all as read. But most of the stories I actually do read I end up finding interesting. Like... I only have room in my life to go "huh that's kinda cool" about one speedrunner story per month, Patrick. That's not really a juicy enough scene to make it a regular beat.

sheaaaa

I'm someone who abhors personality-based coverage of games. I couldn't care less who wrote an article as long as the article is good. So Waypoint has been a strange site for me, cause it has some great articles and features but so much of its Twitter account is about stream and podcast and Slack in-jokes about their staff that it's really, really off-putting.

I don't want to miss the good stuff they put up, but it's hard parsing it from the stuff I couldn't be less interested in. Especially when they do their big events like the 72-hour stream and the Waypoint High thing (which, for me, didn't work at all) and their tweets go into overdrive.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm someone who abhors personality-based coverage of games. I couldn't care less who wrote an article as long as the article is good. So Waypoint has been a strange site for me, cause it has some great articles and features but so much of its Twitter account is about stream and podcast and Slack in-jokes about their staff that it's really, really off-putting.

I don't want to miss the good stuff they put up, but it's hard parsing it from the stuff I couldn't be less interested in. Especially when they do their big events like the 72-hour stream and the Waypoint High thing (which, for me, didn't work at all) and their tweets go into overdrive.
Checking the website twice daily usually keeps me up to date on written content. But you're right about the streams, I wish there was a better way to be aware of when they're happening. An email list I could sign up for that would alert me half an hour before a stream goes live, like what some people I support on Patreon do, would be rad

sheaaaa

Checking the website twice daily usually keeps me up to date on written content. But you're right about the streams, I wish there was a better way to be aware of when they're happening. An email list I could sign up for that would alert me half an hour before a stream goes live, like what some people I support on Patreon do, would be rad

I actually meant that I would love to never see anything to do with their streams! Not interested in the least. But I'm aware this is as first-world problems as it comes.

Hasney

Yeah, or even a schedule that converts to timezones like GiantBomb and Easy Allies have on their sites would be much better.

I guess when it comes down to it the thing about the site for me is that since they launched it has just been an article factory with a twice-weekly podcast that has been of pretty shaky quality. Their 72 hour stream was great but... they haven't put out any video content other than that that I'm aware of. They do streams but they don't archive them on their site so if you're like me and don't use Twitter, you'll probably miss all of them. So if they're trying to be a personality-focused site, I don't think they're doing a good job. If they really just want to be a hub for articles about niche gaming culture, well then hey, I can't deny that the articles are good. But I feel like that wasn't what they pitched to me when they launched the site.
Yeah, I agree with this completely. I was excited for their video coverage after the 72 hour thing, but there has been none outside of streams they don't seem to care enough about to archive

Zojirushi

It's a little weird because in my mind that 72h stream was supposed to be the starting point and that they figured out the technical and scheduling stuff up to that point but they still very much seem to be in a "we're still figuring things out so here's a random stream from Danielle's house in the meantime" kinda state.

Ah well these things take time I guess.

Catvoca

Banned
Yeah, I agree with this completely. I was excited for their video coverage after the 72 hour thing, but there has been none outside of streams they don't seem to care enough about to archive

They don't even archive the livestreamed video version of their podcast! I wish they'd put that stuff on YouTube, I'd be more inclined to keep up with them that way. I'm sure this all takes time though, hopefully they improve over the next year.

tchocky

They don't even archive the livestreamed video version of their podcast! I wish they'd put that stuff on YouTube, I'd be more inclined to keep up with them that way. I'm sure this all takes time though, hopefully they improve over the next year.

They did archive this weeks stream of Patrick playing Let It Die so hopefully they will start archiving the video podcast and other streams since their twitch channel only keeps streams from the last two weeks.

Listening to them talking about getting sick made me realize I haven't been truly sick once this winter. I was happy with my luck for about 30 seconds until I remembered that I'm antisocial and its easy to avoid germs when you avoid people :(

So much Gravity Rush 2 teases this episode. I wonder what it is they want to talk about...

kuppy

The Division stream archive is soooo good. Wow. This is making me want to play this game.
Very happy they are now uploading to YouTube.

Wait.

They livestream the podcast session?

Cronen

Are their videos country restricted? Any video I try and watch gets me a "ERR_VIDEO_REGION - THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY" message. I'm based in the UK, and I'm preeeetty sure I've watched their stuff before. Wondering if it might be a bug.

tchocky

Are their videos country restricted? Any video I try and watch gets me a "ERR_VIDEO_REGION - THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY" message. I'm based in the UK, and I'm preeeetty sure I've watched their stuff before. Wondering if it might be a bug.

Yeah they said on twitter that they are working on it so to watch the videos on their youtube channel instead.

Jintor

Wow. I was not expecting Austin and Danielle and even Patrick to go in so hard on Arms. I guess they're not huge fighting game guys or anything but right after Splatoon to have no faith in Nintendo to live up to the way they're positioning that game is frankly, to me, bizarre.

Admittedly a multiplayer shooter is an easier general sell than a 1v1 fighting game with motion, but jeeze, I was really surprised to hear this crew so down on something that looks really interesting

Top Bottom