• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Tapejara

I actually loved the last episode. The Danielle-Danika-Patrick episodes are a lot of fun and a nice change of pace every so often.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Danielle, Danika and Patrick should start their own podcast
so I don't have to listen to them on Waypoint Radio

I like the actual material Waypoint publishes on a regular basis, but all the clique-y in-jokes about Bastion fucking and whatever are not for me. Like, I appreciate that they have a healthy subculture going on, I don't want to dunk on that, but I have thought about unfollowing Austin on Twitter just because I cannot care less about any of the inside baseball stuff and a lot of the Waypoint-related retweets and whatnot are just that.

Except maybe Danika's awful poetry. I'm still down for bad poetry.

maybe I am part of the problem

Flipyap

This podcast. These people are just too horny. I wanna be down for frank discussion of games and sexuality, but c'mon 'pointers. There's nothing worthwhile in just saying "big wet butts" a buncha times.
So, they've gone through Bastion fucks, fanfics where everyone fucks everyone, fuckable daddies, how pokémon fuck, and now... uh.
This is such a one-note wannabe meme, I'm starting to think that Waypoint needs to schedule a mandatory wanking break for the whole staff.

I don't know if they think this makes the site look progressively sex-positive or what, but it just looks like it was taken over by a bunch of horny 14-year-olds.
If they really need to fetishize everything, fine, I just wish they'd discuss these things in a way that doesn't make them sound so dumb.

Though it is kinda weird seeing a site which is usually so concerned with being inclusive and "safe" not giving a fuck about people who are not interested in ceaseless jokes about fucking.

Haines

Banned
I thought I would like waypoint bc I found Austin good most of the time and liked Patric a lot on gb.

Most of the podcasts I've tried have been boring and than I see a bunch of them discussing politics in the info bar so j just skip them.

I'm sure it's a very unpopular opinion but I didn't like listening to danielle on idle and so her going to way point pushed me away even harder.

And before people jump on me I must have tried listening to at least ten of her idle weekend podcasts before turning them off.

It just bums me out bc I saw waypoint as this new great thing but I haven't found any fun in it.

Maybe I will give it another shot when switch release discussion happens.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That podcast was a lot less bad than you guys were saying, though I agree that paradoxically its been weaker than anything Austin, Patrick or Danielle did before this. Which is so strange.

Like, Patrick ran a great podcast that frequently featured Gita Jackson talking about anime dating sims and it was really entertaining and interesting

Brakke

Banned
That podcast was a lot less bad than you guys were saying, though I agree that paradoxically its been weaker than anything Austin, Patrick or Danielle did before this. Which is so strange.

Like, Patrick ran a great podcast that frequently featured Gita Jackson talking about anime dating sims and it was really entertaining and interesting

For me, it wasn't so much *bad* as it was... toothless? Pointless? Just a lot of saying sex-stuff out loud and giggling. I just bored.

I used the word "frank" early and I think that's really what they're missing if they wanna go down this road. A lot of their sex-talk feels more performative than it is sincere. It's cool that Patrick is down to learn about someone making a Stardew Vally Boys Jerk Off mod and appreciate someone else's enthusiasm to make (and consume) that mod, but Patrick himself didn't install it and play it and wouldn't seek it out but to report on it.

I feel like they're in this weird middle-space where they all wanna be supportive and encouraging and reject stigmas against discussing sex publicly, but they're also not especially open or forthcoming or personal about it. Like, Patrick's married and Danielle has a girlfriend, but neither really talk about their proclivities or experiences. Austin gets (rightly) righteous about bisexuality-erasure on Twitter but I don't know a dang thing about who he himself wants to smooch.

If they don't wanna get down and personal and revealing, that's totally cool, I get it. I just wish they wouldn't be so silly about sex stuff then. Either tell me what other people are into with a straight face or tell me what you're into with enthusiasm; telling me what other people are into while performing enthusiasm lands as kinda tourist-y.

Haines

Banned
Gave the podcast one.last chance and they failed me miserably very quickly.

She just starts talking about who the characters are and there backgrounds and...

Oh that's right. The game isn't even out til next week.

Turned it off an won't go back. Had this come out after the release fine
But discussing the bloody game and essentially just spoiling shit. I don't gain ANYTHING from that.

Good luck gents

Tapejara

She just starts talking about who the characters are and there backgrounds and...

But discussing the bloody game and essentially just spoiling shit. I don't gain ANYTHING from that.

Good luck gents

I haven't listened to it yet, are you saying they spoil Horizon?

i actually stopped listening a few weeks ago.

wanted to enjoy it, respect them all immensely and thought theyd offer a more sober discussion on games but its a mess of a podcast.

feels all last minute, theyve got the vinny disease of dads doing improv, spend most of time filling it with not very well put together chat about nothing really.

Sabas

Banned

Good luck gents

The blog post header specially states they were going to talk about their impressions. The podcast info says it too. If you wanted to go into the game blind, you probably should've skipped this one?

I haven't listened to it yet, are you saying they spoil Horizon?
Danielle talks about the introduction of the game a little bit, but neither she nor Patrick have beaten the game as of that podcast.

Our aim at Waypoint is to cover games with criticality and humanity. It is to give as much attention to the people, passion, and politics of gaming as we have been giving to the products. It is to explore how and why we play, not only because trying to answer those questions will lead us to tell great stories, but because we fundamentally believe that this will offer insight into the wider "state of play," into the culture that games emerge from and that people play in.

It is also our goal to build a new lexicon inside of the gaming community. One that isn't about reaching wider audiences with new stories, but one that will help us address our own failures, systemic and personal. I want you to help us do that, and to hold us to it, too.

We want to learn (together) how to move with compassion and with interest. We want to find and share our own methods of inquiry, so that we can find ways to understand how others differ from us, why they think, act, and play differently—instead of only dismissing them as outsiders.

This will not only help us build common ground to form new, important coalitions, but will also teach us how to address the actual, meaningful differences that have lead us into dramatic and upsetting conflict.

these are all noble goals and was the reason why i tuned in in the first place.

do you think youve matched that intention in the discussions youve had so far?

Catvoca

Banned
these are all noble goals and was the reason why i tuned in in the first place.

do you think youve matched that intention in the discussions youve had so far?

You're replying to a random poster who copy-and-pasted their mission statement in order to make a snarky joke about their dumb "Hot daddies" article.

patapuf

For me, it wasn't so much *bad* as it was... toothless? Pointless? Just a lot of saying sex-stuff out loud and giggling. I just bored.

I used the word "frank" early and I think that's really what they're missing if they wanna go down this road. A lot of their sex-talk feels more performative than it is sincere. It's cool that Patrick is down to learn about someone making a Stardew Vally Boys Jerk Off mod and appreciate someone else's enthusiasm to make (and consume) that mod, but Patrick himself didn't install it and play it and wouldn't seek it out but to report on it.

I feel like they're in this weird middle-space where they all wanna be supportive and encouraging and reject stigmas against discussing sex publicly, but they're also not especially open or forthcoming or personal about it. Like, Patrick's married and Danielle has a girlfriend, but neither really talk about their proclivities or experiences. Austin gets (rightly) righteous about bisexuality-erasure on Twitter but I don't know a dang thing about who he himself wants to smooch.

If they don't wanna get down and personal and revealing, that's totally cool, I get it. I just wish they wouldn't be so silly about sex stuff then. Either tell me what other people are into with a straight face or tell me what you're into with enthusiasm; telling me what other people are into while performing enthusiasm lands as kinda tourist-y.

Well put. I feel that's what's been a bit "off" for me about the podcast. Maybe having a guest for the "topic of the day" would solve that, esp. since they use skype anyway, but that introduce a lot of overhead to the podcast. Not sure if they could do it even if they wanted to.

Jintor

maybe a downside to having a twice a week schedule?

I also feel like the show hasn't found its groove yet besides giggling about sex

jmood88

I've always felt like I listen to a completely different discussion whenever anything related to Austin is brought up on this site, and nothing has changed since Waypoint started. The complaints make absolutely no sense to me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed the last two episodes more than the others. They had fun, they were quirky and I don't think there's a podcast like it. Oh and Danielle finally got more air time.

Just to offer a different opinion to all the bashing. Jesus.

Catvoca

Banned
I enjoyed the last two episodes more than the others. They had fun, they were quirky and I don't think there's a podcast like it. Oh and Danielle finally got more air time.

Just to offer a different opinion to all the bashing. Jesus.

Yeah, this thread went downhill fast lmao. To add to the positivity, I haven't listened to the recent Waypoint Radios but I have been digging their editorial content. Patrick's reporting was always something I really enjoyed and I feel like I'm getting more of it then ever now.

With most gaming sites you have a bunch of garbage articles reposting press releases or random internet videos in order to get clicks and support the actually decent content. Waypoint feels like it's nothing but the more in depth, well written articles. I don't know how they make (or will make) money from this stuff but I love that I can go to the site and click on any written piece knowing it won't be some 500 word fluff piece.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
Speaking as someone who still listens to Idle Weekend and listened to Giant Beastcast when Austin was still on, I very much enjoy Waypoint Radio and think it has very good discussions. I don't think that the show's weaker than the two I mentioned above, personally. Different strokes for different folks.

Hasney

The latest podcast talking about looking up howlongtobeat is kinda a bummer. I think the best way is to be away from the Zeitgeist a little bit which I'm finally getting to. I'm only buying one game at a time and not getting another one until I beat it. Just finished Yakuza 0 and have Zelda with a Switch on the way, so Horizon I'll just grab when it's cheap and I have nothing else on at the time.

I don't mind if it takes me months. The long, open games are the ones I adore playing so I'll just take my sweet ass time around work and other things.

SamNW

Anyone else listen to Danielle's appearance on WBUR with Frank Guan and Chris Grant this morning? It's always fascinating to hear people like the host, Tom Ashbrook, who are so far removed from games, ask questions about the industry and the maturation of the medium. I wish the segment could have gone longer. I felt like Danielle and Chris were doing an excellent job speaking to a non-enthusiast audience.

lawnchair

Banned
The latest podcast talking about looking up howlongtobeat is kinda a bummer. I think the best way is to be away from the Zeitgeist a little bit which I'm finally getting to. I'm only buying one game at a time and not getting another one until I beat it. Just finished Yakuza 0 and have Zelda with a Switch on the way, so Horizon I'll just grab when it's cheap and I have nothing else on at the time.

I don't mind if it takes me months. The long, open games are the ones I adore playing so I'll just take my sweet ass time around work and other things.

same boat here. of course i'd love to have the jobs that the people at waypoint do, but i'm not envious of the whole "keeping up" with what's new FOMO thing they all have to have. for them it's their job though, it's worse when regular people suffer from this illness. listening to that segment i was like "damn, glad that's not me".

i'll happily play nioh (my new hotness i'm trying to beat, but no rush), battlefield one (online game i'm always playing at least some of) and a couple of indies on PC for the next few months at least. i'm not bothered at all by the fact that there's a zelda game out and i'm not playing it, or horizon, or nier, RE7 whatever. i'll get to that stuff eventually and it'll be cheaper.

"Can 2017’s Video Games Just Slow the Fuck Down?"

Oooh I hate headlines like this. Just like when Kotaku pulls this cutesy shit. Maybe it's because I did newspaper throughout high school and college. I don't know.

Jintor

I wonder since Gaming News has moved so far into the blogosphere and clickbait faux-your-pal style of writing if there's a room for a really staid Journal of Games-style 'newspaper of video game news'.

Probably not, but maybe it'd be fun to write. Some kind of videogame broadsheet.

Videogame Broadsheet is an okay title.

Ashtar

I've liked the last few episodes, with the more game focus and actually enjoying a game. austin has me hyped for Zelda got to wait for wii u digital foundry

Anyone else listen to Danielle's appearance on WBUR with Frank Guan and Chris Grant this morning? It's always fascinating to hear people like the host, Tom Ashbrook, who are so far removed from games, ask questions about the industry and the maturation of the medium. I wish the segment could have gone longer. I felt like Danielle and Chris were doing an excellent job speaking to a non-enthusiast audience.

I enjoyed it but Tom's closing quote was (pun) on point, "(regarding games) its like literature, its like sports, its like movies!" (or something to that effect). Something about games writers leaving their typical sphere brings out a desperation for legitimacy and Tom picked up on it.

Link for others: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/02/28/video-games-adults-nintendo
Danielle joins at about 23 minutes

Kyonashi

Surprising to me the negativity surrounding the podcast, it's personally the only one other than CoolGamesInc that I've been able to stick with. I like the hosts and the topics they discuss, and it fits perfectly in with my commute twice a week. My only wish was that the Friday episode was Thursday because of my schedule I can only listen to the Friday ep once I'm already home and I only really listen to episodes on my commute. Also maybe that Danika was on more often cause I like her style.

Then again I'm really not a fan of Giant Bomb when I guess a lot of people coming to Waypoint gravitated because of that so it might be a tonal thing.

Hasney

Surprising to me the negativity surrounding the podcast, it's personally the only one other than CoolGamesInc that I've been able to stick with. I like the hosts and it fits perfectly in with my commute twice a week, my only wish was that the Friday episode was Thursday because of my schedule I can only listen to the Friday ep once I'm already home and I only really listen to episodes on my commute.

Then again I'm really not a fan of Giant Bomb when I guess a lot of people coming to Waypoint gravitated because of that so it might be a tonal thing.

I like the podcast in general, I think Austin is easing off a little bit to let other people talk, but the non-Austin podcasts just aren't for me.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it but Tom's closing quote was (pun) on point, "(regarding games) its like literature, its like sports, its like movies!" (or something to that effect). Something about games writers leaving their typical sphere brings out a desperation for legitimacy and Tom picked up on it.

Link for others: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/02/28/video-games-adults-nintendo
Danielle joins at about 23 minutes
That didn't strike me as negative as you make it out to be. More like a "games are all sorts of things to different people" as a closing statement.

faridmon

Danielle, Danika and Patrick should start their own podcast
so I don't have to listen to them on Waypoint Radio

Patrick is great but the rest are painful to listen to due to fanfic and mating fictional characters.

I have dropped this podcast but every time I return, I hope them pulling me, and the just push me further away.

Ashtar

I like all of them when they're talking games specifically. The wild thirst of the other ones just isn't for me.
I agree, like the episode when they were trying to define soul likes was really good, the last 2 eps about Zelda were great, even the eps about lesser known games like we are Chicago was really insightful.
There was one episode when they lead off about masturbation mods for star dew valley and I just deleted the pod casts, and another ep was devoted to who was fucking who in over watch and I was like nah

Flipyap

These essay reads are incredible. It's like friends at the table but more directly about video games
Seriously. Austin's Breath of the Wild essay is something even Waypoint skeptics should read/hear.
I wish there was a podcast dedicated to Austin painting us these vibrant word pictures. I just love the way he thinks about video games and I wish that this way of looking at the medium weren't so darn rare.

Surprising to me the negativity surrounding the podcast, it's personally the only one other than CoolGamesInc that I've been able to stick with. I like the hosts and the topics they discuss, and it fits perfectly in with my commute twice a week. My only wish was that the Friday episode was Thursday because of my schedule I can only listen to the Friday ep once I'm already home and I only really listen to episodes on my commute. Also maybe that Danika was on more often cause I like her style.

Waypoint in general is much more friendly and accepting towards certain aspects of fandom that gaming media ignores, if not outright shuns.

I run in gaming circles that have a fairly large cross over with shippers and fanfic writers, and am thus pretty comfortable with a lot of the stuff Waypoint discusses. But I could see the 'average' gamer, who has likely grown up unaware of, if not encouraged to make fun of these circles, being put off by how much Waypoint discusses and puts focus on them.

repeater

These essay reads are incredible. It's like friends at the table but more directly about video games
Austin's read of his BotW piece was great. Awesome writing which was, at least for me, enhanced by the way he read it. I really enjoyed that.

lawnchair

Banned
i'm learning that i really dislike austin's rhapsodic reading voice. see: the small zelda-cast (article reading), or any of the brief videos on the site in which he talks about older games. it's just over the top, yeesh. it's terrible. i love austin but i can't take it. sounds like a parody of somebody who really likes something.

just had to get that off my chest.

Top Bottom