• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that bothers me a little is how they barely ever talk about actual gameplay. This last Radio episode with 40 minutes of Nier and Mass Effect talk was almost completely free of any thoughts on mechanics or controls or whatever they enjoyed.
But Nier:A especially is full of interesting takes on that genre.

One thing that bothers me a little is how they barely ever talk about actual gameplay. This last Radio episode with 40 minutes of Nier and Mass Effect talk was almost completely free of any thoughts on mechanics or controls or whatever they enjoyed.
Taking about themes and not controls is entirely their intention.

Jintor

I'd say the majority of the Zelda talk to date is about the gameplay and it's effect on the way they feel about the game to date.

I don't think any of them are action buffs (there's a severe deficit of them in games journalism actually) so I never really expected them to talk much about nier's gameplay

Anno

So in one of the recent podcasts, Danielle mentioned she used to work at the ACLU. How many fucking things has this woman done in her life??

Basically all of them. She's pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure she doesn't sleep between working now with Waypoint, doing three podcasts a week, working out hardcore and being an EMT. She might still teach as well. Plus god knows however much else.

Catvoca

Banned
Basically all of them. She's pretty amazing. I'm pretty sure she doesn't sleep between working now with Waypoint, doing three podcasts a week, working out hardcore and being an EMT. She might still teach as well. Plus god knows however much else.

It's seriously impressive, I've got mad respect for her. I have no idea how she does it all, yet is still consistently energetic, engaged and positive on everything she does.

Anno

I like it most when she talks in her native hardcore Rhode Island accent. She basically transforms into another person if it's just audio only.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Taking about themes and not controls is entirely their intention.
On the podcast? I guess, I mean that's what they ended up talking about. As a website? Certainly not. Like, the day-night mechanic in Dragon's Dogma is part of their mission statement. That's a new take on old mechanics, pretty much what I'm talking about.

I'd say the majority of the Zelda talk to date is about the gameplay and it's effect on the way they feel about the game to date.

I don't think any of them are action buffs (there's a severe deficit of them in games journalism actually) so I never really expected them to talk much about nier's gameplay
Yeah, recent Zelda discussions are a reason why that stood out to me, I think. Was nice to see so many gaming journos fall in love with its mechanics.

So in one of the recent podcasts, Danielle mentioned she used to work at the ACLU. How many fucking things has this woman done in her life??
I'm convinced there are atleast two Danielles.

I've paid attention to a lot of their podcast and video coverage of Mass Effect: Andromeda (while doing other stuff to be fair), but the lack of squad ability commands was only made apparent to me while listening to the Bombcast. That's definitely something I had forgotten about that was incredibly important for me, that I wish was talked about more.

(Listening to monday's podcast) Its nice to know there is still a small group of us keeping the torch burning for Way of the Samurai. That first game was just perfect

NieR's ending E sounds fantastic, and it certainly is something that an only be done in video games. The series has some of my favorite story beats of games I've never played.

Also, auto complete spells NieR with proper capitalization :D

The Destiny lore discussion this morning was great. I'm on the Indoctrination Traveler is the real monster theory bandwagon

I wouldn't mind a few Destiny novels. I think its a pretty interesting universe

Austin really should be paid commission by the Stellaris devs. I don't think I know of anyone who articulates the wonder of that game in the way as captivating as Austin does.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Holy shit how much longer is this pet talk going to go on for

They are literally talking about the pros and cons of various sizes of dog shit

Holy shit how much longer is this pet talk going to go on for

They are literally talking about the pros and cons of various sizes of dog shit

I sadly had to stop following their podcast due to the long rambling conversations about things I had no interest in. I think it was the overwatch shipping conversation. It's ok on podcasts that are longer, but it irritates me more on Waypoint due to the shorter podcast length.

Lol their advice to a high school English teacher who wanted to touch upon narrative in games is to show his students obscure Flash games and 1-2 hour tabletop games? Good luck!

If anything I would make an effort to show a few more traditional games that have strong narratives to show the students the variety in gaming beyond shooters and Minecraft. Then discuss how user agency affects story telling.

spiritfox

That's not even the worst.

Also may Austin never hear about spider crabs, like the Japanese spider crab with can reach 18ft long.

Macrocheira_kaempferi.jpg
Macropodia_rostrata.jpg

Japanese_spider_crab.jpg

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
1. Fuck those spiders.

2. Hey! Posted this over on Twitter a while ago, but we're currently looking for a part time livestream & video producer. Ideally someone who is familiar with professional streaming equipment, cameras, etc. but also someone who understands Twitch, games culture, and what a good stream looks, sounds, and feels like. Ideally you're NYC based, since it's a part time position. Posting's right here!

Zaph

1. Fuck those spiders.

2. Hey! Posted this over on Twitter a while ago, but we're currently looking for a part time livestream & video producer. Ideally someone who is familiar with professional streaming equipment, cameras, etc. but also someone who understands Twitch, games culture, and what a good stream looks, sounds, and feels like. Ideally you're NYC based, since it's a part time position. Posting's right here!

That's a pretty... exhaustive set of duties for a part-time gig

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
That's a pretty... exhaustive set of duties for a part-time gig

It's more "here are the sorts of things you may need to have to do given the days you're here" and less "here's what you need to do every single week," if that makes sense.

Jintor

It's more "here are the sorts of things you may need to have to do given the days you're here" and less "here's what you need to do every single week," if that makes sense.

a) austin bro you should probably get your tag changed

b) viceland airs on SBS Australia, do you know if Waypoint video stuff will ever make it there too?

Jeffrey

Hope Patrick and Austin been taking notes because the side quests in nier are truly special and arguably more important than the main.

Jintor

I am so hype about the spoilercast with special guest 2b*

*They could totally do this since the Vas for 9s and 2b have been streaming the game for a while now

Top Bottom