• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We quit our jobs, remortgaged our houses" - Cuphead Developer

magnetic

they should have released Cuphead as the boss rush game they had ready two years ago, and then used the profits from that to develop Cuphead 2 :

Playing Treasures Alien Soldier again, I wholeheartedly agree. Boss rush can be amazing if the game is actually planned around it and the bosses are varied and entertaining.

Most boss rush modes in games are pretty boring because most boss encounters suck.

Frostman

I have it pre-ordered, and really hope it does well. But I have to be honest, I don't think this was worth it. Especially when it's only coming to 2 systems.

Gestault

It's interesting that people in this thread are bashing Hello Games and NMS while at the same time boasting that they pre-ordered this game.

You may not get the difference between "bashing" and normal criticism (the article brings it up because of the obvious parallels), but automated refunds are a standard feature on every platform you can buy the game on. I'm not normally one to pre-order, but the system is set up so even after trying the game, you can refund it. Also, I've seen a lot of this game at trade shows over the years, it's not a blind buy-in.

ghibli99

I do hope the gameplay matches the amazing aesthetics. Been waiting on this one for a long time... I can't believe it's almost here. :)

Not at all, No Man's Sky is now a cautionary tale to independent devs. It's a great example of what NOT to do. Sure they might've made some money on NMS (due to all the hype and lies) but I doubt a lot of ppl would trust them to create a decent product the next time around. Their reputation is ruined on their first game.
Maybe so, I just thought the way in which the article compared the two was odd.

I think you guys are massively overestimating how much appeal a run and gun platformer has outside the enthusiast market. No Mans Sky isn't a fair comparison at all, that game had mainstream appeal, you had Sean Murray doing talk show appearances for gods sake.

For a more fair comparison, Hollow Knight came out this year, was also developed by a 3 person team, and has sold 280k~ copies on Steam, with half of those being the last few days during the steam sale. Not bad by any means, so hopefully Cuphead will be profitable with sales roughly in that ballpark.

I do find it interesting how many people in here are saying that this is going to sell really well. Everything from art style to gameplay screams niche to me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it charts.

Anyway, I can't wait to play this game. This and PUBG are the reasons why I am buying an Xbox soon.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think its healthy for devs to spend years on small projects.

Its way too much pressure to succeed, and creatively speaking I think more satisfaction and growth would be achievable if the same time/effort was spread across multiple works.

It's their passion, dude. They're following there dreams.

I wish them every success in the world, must be an amazing felling for them to be getting so close to release after so much time in development.

Carry on being a super talented, passionate team - Studio MDHR :)

To be perfectly honest, I don't think its healthy for devs to spend years on small projects.

Its way too much pressure to succeed, and creatively speaking I think more satisfaction and growth would be achievable if the same time/effort was spread across multiple works.

I agree on all accounts.

Stevey

I preferred the look of the game when it was just boss rush mode.
Massive gamble for them, hope it pays off.

Damn, I hope these sacrifices will pay itself back, knowing the fickle crowd of the Xbox ...

It's on PC as well mate.
Or was your comment just consolewarz™?

This is what you have to risk to be an indie developer. Nobody said it would be easy.

Best wishes to them, I wish it was planned on more platform though. I am sure many would love to buy this game.

Not trying to port pegging, personally I don't really mind.
I just wish more people could give them money.

Damn, I hope these sacrifices will pay itself back, knowing the fickle crowd of the Xbox ...

Your concern is noted....

bwahaha.gif

I've been excited since the very first footage they released, even more excited after playing the game at San Diego Comic-Con in 2015, and was ecstatic when the release date dropped this E3!

HF2014

Dont want to feel negative, i does look nice, nothing wrong about it, but this wont sell Xbox to play it. I just hope for them it will do well on Steam and later if release on PS4. A Switch version maybe? I think it could do well on that platform.The 20$ US price is also not too much asking, hoping it will get the attention it deserve.

Interesting article, I've been keeping an eye on this one and I hope it does great. I'll definitely be picking it up day one, same goes for Ori2, Last Night, Super Lucky's Tale, The Artful Escape, and Ashen.

Fredrik

Already preordered, hope it sells well! Surprised that MS hasn't showed them any economical support. But being a Play Anywhere title instead of console exclusive should give them some nice figures if it's well reviewed.

Keinning

Pre-ordered as soon as it was avaliable. I've been waiting forever for this one.

I really hope it does well but this being a PC/Xbox exclusive means that I won't be able to contribute.

I'm not able to contribute to a lot of sony and nintendo exclusives either. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is what you have to risk to be an indie developer. Nobody said it would be easy.

The whole point of independence is to be independent and make your own decisions and schedules.

There's a lot to be said for passion and following your dreams, but there's an equal amount to be said for discipline, planning, and not breaking yourself for a single shot at the brass ring.

As a creative person the greatest gift you can be given/give yourself is freedom to fail. When development timelines stretch out across years and incurs increasing debts and pressures to grind through to the final, success becomes a grim imperative.

I genuinely hope it works out for the Studio MDHR guys, but you're never going to convince me that taking this amount of time is good for the people involved and their families/relationships.

Galang

Banned
Game development is scary, but I hope they have the last laugh. Glad the game has gained a lot of traction in the public eye compared to the first year it was revealed. Well-deserved, game is gorgeous ! So glad it's coming to steam now too

Keinning

I genuinely hope it works out for the Studio MDHR guys, but you're never going to convince me that taking this amount of time is good for the people involved and their families/relationships.

It never is. You bet a lot on a project that eats most of your life, and even if it ends up being successful (odds heavily against you), you're never getting those years of your life where you stayed away from your friends, family and etcetera back. It's ungrateful work and i have the utmost respect for everyone who endures this on their daily life. I know i couldn't, and i dropped out.

Considering Behemoth is never gonna port Alien Hominid and we're not getting a new Metal Slug this definitely appeals to me, especially cause of the art.

at least Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers are BC for those wanting a quick fix before Cuphead releases

Yukinari

Considering Behemoth is never gonna port Alien Hominid and we're not getting a new Metal Slug this definitely appeals to me, especially cause of the art.

The art certainly is astounding, and i'm sure it will see success - I just never really thought it looked that fun to play, but i hope i'm wrong.

bitbydeath

Not at all, No Man's Sky is now a cautionary tale to independent devs. It's a great example of what NOT to do. Sure they might've made some money on NMS (due to all the hype and lies) but I doubt a lot of ppl would trust them to create a decent product the next time around. Their reputation is ruined on their first game.

If that were true other studios like EA and Ubisoft would have died years ago. Gamers have never been good at holding grudges.

I hope Cuphead does well.

Head.spawn

Pre-ordered and ready to go. :)

If that were true other studios like EA and Ubisoft would have died years ago. Gamers have never been good at holding grudges.

I hope Cuphead does well.

EA is more than a handful of people and a single major game, it's not really comparable. They may have had a few rocky launches, but the vast majority of their games launch fine and those that don't end up being more than fine. Another piece of this is I get to try every single EA game before launch to test it myself now, they have created a way for gamers to purchase games with an informed view that previews and reviews will never match.

NMS at the end of the day is still NMS at the end of the day. Still missing things they claimed to be in there even after launch. I know I have lost all desire to see that game and anything they release afterwards will be met with that same apprehension.

It looks pretty cool, gameplay-wise. It obviously looks incredible—if nothing else, the game will be remembered fondly in that regard.

I need to feel it in my warm hands first

see if it feels right

Phatcorns

I will buy it day ONE. I'm not even a huge fan of this art style, but I'm absolutely a huge fan of the craft itself. Gotta support stuff like this, and it looks super fun to boot.

kswiston

I disagree.

They pissed away their Rep.

I hope for good things with Cuphead.

NMS made about $40M on Steam alone. So figure $25M on the low end after Valve takes its cut. I know that the PS4 version sold a lot as well. Their rep is gone, but most comparable indies don't see that much revenue ever.

Top Bottom