• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 88 - 11/23/2011 - Thanksgiving confirmed, Leftovers pending

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 88 - 11/23/2011

Join Xav, Jeff, Andrea, and Garnett as they celebrate the long Thanksgiving weekend. They share tales from Skyrim and Assassin's Creed Revelations during the beginning of the show. Some of the excellent discussions from the show comments last week fuel plenty of discussion on whether gamers want to be told a story, or play their own. Everyone is set for the 360 dashboard update, now that it's finally coming December 6. And the group starts to sort through the gaming leftovers already gathering from a great year of games that included LittleBIGPlanet 2, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, L.A. Noire, and so many more titles that are already fading into memories. Finishing moves and a special Thanksgiving games edition of the tailgate wrap it all up.

Download Link - 2:11:45

Shacknews

Garnett comes across so thickheaded sometimes. I haven't played AC:R but it seemed pretty clear to me Xav and Andrea didn't like the den fights because the tower defense sucked. It had nothing to do with narrative significance or mechanics advancement or indecisiveness of immersive obfuscation. The actual gameplay of ACR's tower defense was not good. If it was comparable to Dungeon Defenders or Orcs Must Die then they probably would have been fine with it.

Also, poor Xav:

Xav on Twitter said:
New @WeekendConfirmd is out. http://bit.ly/sJFc8K -- Drink every time I'm able to finish a sentence uninterrupted... you will remain sober.

Riposte

Jeff might have a narrow idea of fun. No limits can make a game too easy, which without difficulty is less gripping/intense(fun). Assassin's Creed series, especially with Brotherhood's addition of screen-wiping powers(which are were overkill to begin with), is way too easy when it isn't forcing you to stealth.

You met Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer characters in the campaign. They were assassination missions, though they were pretty empty characters.

EDIT: Hard Corps: Uprising >>>>>> MoonDiver. Buy DLC Sayuki.

EDIT: Ghost Trick for portables shouldn't be missed, especially if you like Shu Takumi games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I never cease to be amazed by how ordinary Skyrim sounds. So much talk, and yet I'm still yet to hear anything that makes me go, "oh, that sounds really cool".

I mean is it really that impressive that there isn't a loading delay before entering a dungeon? Should I be excited that there are dragons to fight? Garnett's little story culminates in the amazing innovation that *gasp*, if an enemy maintains distance you can get your bow out and plink him down!

Maybe its just the experience of having played FFXI online off and on for 7 years, -which incorporates everything I've heard about skyrim and a boatload more- but I can't help but feel underwhelmed, and truthfully the treatment of the fiction sounds perfunctory compared to the rich dark-fantasy universe of something like Dark Souls.

Eesh. Anyway, point is I'm not saying Skyrim is less than great, I'm just saying that noone seems to making a great job of communicating why its such a great game, outside of its sheer scale.

Nizz

Stanky D***:

Never forget
Hey, you're back. :) And a nice early show this week, thanks WC crew for getting one out so early. I also like the new little music breaks from last week's show. Quick little instrumentals then back to the show.

Sorry Christian, but I didn't dig that song at all. Parody or not...

Riposte

Didn't really find it spectacular, but Alice should probably get a mention on Leftovers.

I mean is it really that impressive that there isn't a loading delay before entering a dungeon?

There is, actually. The game uses a lot of zoning/load screen transitions for major towns and dungeons.

Should I be excited that there are dragons to fight?

Yes, they are cool encounters which spice up just about anything you do.

Eesh. Anyway, point is I'm not saying Skyrim is less than great, I'm just saying that noone seems to making a great job of communicating why its such a great game, outside of its sheer scale.

Then you should just play it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Riposte said:
Then you should just play it.

I've spent a buttload of cash on games over the last month, and I'm still waiting on Arkham City to arrive so I'm not short of stuff to play atm.

I am tempted. Sorely. But I really want a palate-cleanser after binging on Dark Souls for like a month!

I really enjoyed the leftover games section. Its always nice to step back and look at some of the stuff that came out. I think I might join Xav in picking up Infamous 2. I'll need to see if its in any Black Friday deals

My pick for a leftover game you guys missed is Two Worlds II. Like I said in the last thread, all the Skyrim talk got me to restart this (while waiting for a PS3 Skyrim patch) and man what a good game. Plus doesn't it have co-op? I haven't used it at all but I swear I remember reading it does...

Anyone asking why they don't make more games like Skyrim (hint hint Jeff) and didn't pick this up should give it a try. I'm sure its cheap by now. It has its problem to be sure but I'm enjoying it

Good episode this week... but now what am I going to do on Friday!?!

Grisby

I really enjoyed the leftover games section. Its always nice to step back and look at some of the stuff that came out. I think I might join Xav in picking up Infamous 2. I'll need to see if its in any Black Friday deals

My pick for a leftover game you guys missed is Two Worlds II. Like I said in the last thread, all the Skyrim talk got me to restart this (while waiting for a PS3 Skyrim patch) and man what a good game. Plus doesn't it have co-op? I haven't used it at all but I swear I remember reading it does...

Anyone asking why they don't make more games like Skyrim (hint hint Jeff) and didn't pick this up should give it a try. I'm sure its cheap by now. It has its problem to be sure but I'm enjoying it

Good episode this week... but now what am I going to do on Friday!?!

Yeah, its actually got 7 mini adventure things where you level up a separate online character. The maps and adventures themselves are pretty large. Then you have battle mp and stuff.

The online is pretty neat. Loved the co-op adventure thingys. Was like a medieval Phantasy Star experience.

Riposte

Spec Ops Survival Mode better than Horde Mode 2.0?

Garnett must be drunk again.

He seems to treat Gears like a 2nd rate multiplayer game because it doesn't match Call of Duty's legacy titles. Almost nothing does, except for new Call of Duties and the occasional Halo.

He seems to treat Gears like a 2nd rate multiplayer game because it doesn't match Call of Duty's legacy titles. Almost nothing does, except for new Call of Duties and the occasional Halo.

Maybe.

I'd take Gears of War 3 multiplayer over Modern Warfare 3 any day though. Those maps are WRETCHED.

Paches

Xav said Deus Ex: HR is basically Fallout 3. Jesus Christ.

Another observation while listening: A PC that plays the modern games like BF3 at high settings doesn't cost $900. Please stop repeating this inaccurate statement.

Hey, you're back. :) And a nice early show this week, thanks WC crew for getting one out so early. I also like the new little music breaks from last week's show. Quick little instrumentals then back to the show.

Sorry Christian, but I didn't dig that song at all. Parody or not...
It's good to be back! I need to be more careful about what I post in the future...

Xav said Deus Ex: HR is basically Fallout 3. Jesus Christ.

Another observation while listening: A PC that plays the modern games like BF3 at high settings doesn't cost $900. Please stop repeating this inaccurate statement.

You could get by with closer to $700, but below that and you're pushing it. Even at that price range, you're probably buying older/weaker parts that will be outdated much quicker than if you sprang for more upfront.

nel e nel

I was an avid listener for the last year, but decided this week to delete this show from my iTunes subscription.

A big part of finding gaming writers one likes is finding whose tastes match up with your own, or who has a similar attitude towards gaming as you do. Over the past couple of months I just found myself being less and less enthralled with Garnett specifically, and the show in general. I like Jeff; even though we don't have the same tastes he has a very even handed approach to talking about games. He's able to say "hey, it's not for me, but if your into XYZ, then this game is for you." Billy is good about this too, and so is Xav to an extent (although I found his comments about the optional terminals in the Halo re-release to be off-putting).

Garnett comes across as very intolerant of anything that doesn't fit his way of doing things, and I'm just not down with that. I mean, it's video games man, I appreciate a lively discussion as much as the next person, but it's about having fun at the end of the day.

sikkinixx

I was an avid listener for the last year, but decided this week to delete this show from my iTunes subscription.

A big part of finding gaming writers one likes is finding whose tastes match up with your own, or who has a similar attitude towards gaming as you do. Over the past couple of months I just found myself being less and less enthralled with Garnett specifically, and the show in general. I like Jeff; even though we don't have the same tastes he has a very even handed approach to talking about games. He's able to say "hey, it's not for me, but if your into XYZ, then this game is for you." Billy is good about this too, and so is Xav to an extent (although I found his comments about the optional terminals in the Halo re-release to be off-putting).

Garnett comes across as very intolerant of anything that doesn't fit his way of doing things, and I'm just not down with that. I mean, it's video games man, I appreciate a lively discussion as much as the next person, but it's about having fun at the end of the day.

How did it take you a year of listening to realize Garnett bugs you?

Andrea episodes are my favorite now.

Haven't enjoyed episodes as much since Brian left the show, but Andrea...is just kinda cute as fuck. Love when she laughs.

KEEP DRINKING!!!!!

angelfly

I really wish people would stop giving Bethesda ideas about adding multiplayer elements to their games. They were saying the same type of stuff on bombcast this week. I say let Bethesda focus on making the best single player game they can.

I'm actually completely the opposite. I tend to agree with Garnett more often and feel that the other hosts don't share a unique viewpoint. What I'm saying is that compared to he old podcasts on 1up there doesn't seem to be strong personalities. It could be that I jus don't relate to the other hosts. it just seems like a older crowd now.

nel e nel

How did it take you a year of listening to realize Garnett bugs you?

It was a slow burn but his tirade on the WoW auction system was the beginning of the end.

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but the new Joystiq show is really quite good. Instead of the typical format (what are you playing, news, maybe 1 discussion topic) they pick 1 game or idea and have a full hour long discussion on it with several editors, publishers, developers etc.

One of the cooler episodes was one on localization and they had the team that did the localization for Shadows of the Damned and I think Catherine on talking about their work.

nel e nel

I'm actually completely the opposite. I tend to agree with Garnett more often and feel that the other hosts don't share a unique viewpoint. What I'm saying is that compared to he old podcasts on 1up there doesn't seem to be strong personalities. It could be that I jus don't relate to the other hosts. it just seems like a older crowd now.

Yeah, and like I said, it's a personal thing. I don't hate Garnett, I just don't jibe with him, and it's gotten in the way of me enjoying the show.

Barrett2

Do only assholes write questions to their show? Seems like the only listener questions Garnett ever reads are just obnoxious semantic wankery.

It was a slow burn but his tirade on the WoW auction system was the beginning of the end.

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but the new Joystiq show is really quite good. Instead of the typical format (what are you playing, news, maybe 1 discussion topic) they pick 1 game or idea and have a full hour long discussion on it with several editors, publishers, developers etc.

One of the cooler episodes was one on localization and they had the team that did the localization for Shadows of the Damned and I think Catherine on talking about their work.

That was classic angry Garnett. I loved that particular episode.

I thought Garnett was particularly obnoxious this episode. He always adds crass comments that have nothing to do with the subject matter but this week he did that and added almost nothing of substance to the conversation. His Skyrim story was really boring and the part where they argue about the friends limit on XBL was a complete waste of however many minutes it was. Xav and Cannata continue to be better than the show

I thought Garnett was particularly obnoxious this episode. He always adds crass comments that have nothing to do with the subject matter but this week he did that and added almost nothing of substance to the conversation. His Skyrim story was really boring and the part where they argue about the friends limit on XBL was a complete waste of however many minutes it was. Xav and Cannata continue to be better than the show

The whole "I just want to talk about Skyrim" thing at the end of the Assassin's Creed discussion made me lose respect for both Garnett and Jeff. God forbid they put aside their need to indulge their personal fandom for 10 minutes to discuss another AAA release.

They came off like spoiled children.

Garnett comes across so thickheaded sometimes. I haven't played AC:R but it seemed pretty clear to me Xav and Andrea didn't like the den fights because the tower defense sucked. It had nothing to do with narrative significance or mechanics advancement or indecisiveness of immersive obfuscation. The actual gameplay of ACR's tower defense was not good. If it was comparable to Dungeon Defenders or Orcs Must Die then they probably would have been fine with it.

Also, poor Xav:

Andrea sounded so whiny during that segment.

"But I don't WANT to have to worry about the consequences of my actions, I want to be able to start fights with guards all the time without any trouble at all! Waaaaaah!"

The den defense isn't well implemented but it's a natural extension of the Borgia Towers from brotherhood. You take the towers, they want them back. You cause too much trouble, they have added incentive to attack. Conceptually it's fine, it's the gameplay that suffers because the mechanics of that particular mini-game aren't great.

But the notion that an assassin should operate below the radar and make sure the heat is off is a good one.

So...just listened to it all the way through.

I'll agree with some of the previously mentioned criticisms above.

One thing is, while I do enjoy Skyrim a lot, I wish they would tone it down a bit there to cover more things.

And my primary feedback would be - I really want to hear impressions on Star Wars: The Old Republic when it launches. It's an 11th hour release this year, and I think it would be interesting to listen to discussion about that (and maybe MMOs/MMO design in general), especially with everyone starting fresh.

nel e nel

"But I don't WANT to have to worry about the consequences of my actions, I want to be able to start fights with guards all the time without any trouble at all! Waaaaaah!"

The den defense isn't well implemented but it's a natural extension of the Borgia Towers from brotherhood. You take the towers, they want them back. You cause too much trouble, they have added incentive to attack. Conceptually it's fine, it's the gameplay that suffers because the mechanics of that particular mini-game aren't great.

But the notion that an assassin should operate below the radar and make sure the heat is off is a good one.

Yeah, I caved and DL'd and listened since I'm at the in-laws and had some time on my hands (and I love to hear discussions of games I'm currently playing) and both Jeff and Andrea's criticisms of the notoriety mechanic on AC:R was totally ridiculous. They claimed that there was no notoriety mechanic before Revelations? Ummmm....what about the whole wanted poster thing that's been in the last 3 games? Your actions always had consequences in the series. As a self-professed fan of the series, Andrea completely ignoring/forgetting that staple of the series was pretty appalling.

Top Bottom