• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 88 - 11/23/2011 - Thanksgiving confirmed, Leftovers pending

Massa

Poor Jeff, having to actually argue with her that Xbox Live is a social network, which is completely and totally obvious.

While her argument sounded dumb initially I actually thought it was an interesting discussion in that it showed the fundamental problem with Xbox Live.

Yeah, I caved and DL'd and listened since I'm at the in-laws and had some time on my hands (and I love to hear discussions of games I'm currently playing) and both Jeff and Andrea's criticisms of the notoriety mechanic on AC:R was totally ridiculous. They claimed that there was no notoriety mechanic before Revelations? Ummmm....what about the whole wanted poster thing that's been in the last 3 games? Your actions always had consequences in the series. As a self-professed fan of the series, Andrea completely ignoring/forgetting that staple of the series was pretty appalling.

The problem in Revelations is that it's much easier to raise your notoriety, even renovating shops in an area will do so. If that wasn't enough they also removed the easiest way to reduce it, and introduced the boring tower defense mini game as a punishment for it.

Curufinwe

The whole "I just want to talk about Skyrim" thing at the end of the Assassin's Creed discussion made me lose respect for both Garnett and Jeff.

I got that feeling towards Jeff when he said he decided to take it upon himself to basically shill for Skyrim because he was worried it wouldn't do that well.

I've been gone for the last couple weeks so I couldn't comment before, but is it just me or does pretty much every one of Jeff's Skyrim stories revolve around a predetermined, scripted sequence? I'm pretty sure stuff like the dragon fighting the giant and the mages fighting each other are not completely random. My friend said he saw the dragon/giant fight too, and thought it was the same exact place Jeff saw it.

I'm not knocking Skyrim, I think it's great that they put in so many scenarios like this that you wander into (unlike, say RDR where you always see the same stuff over and over like the criminals ring chased by the sheriffs) but I do think they were scripted.

Tobor

I've been gone for the last couple weeks so I couldn't comment before, but is it just me or does pretty much every one of Jeff's Skyrim stories revolve around a predetermined, scripted sequence? I'm pretty sure stuff like the dragon fighting the giant and the mages fighting each other are not completely random. My friend said he saw the dragon/giant fight too, and thought it was the same exact place Jeff saw it.

I'm not knocking Skyrim, I think it's great that they put in so many scenarios like this that you wander into (unlike, say RDR where you always see the same stuff over and over like the criminals ring chased by the sheriffs) but I do think they were scripted.

It's the AI routines, the Dragons will fight anything that's in proximity. I've seen them attack Frostbite spiders, wolves, giants, anything in the area.

That said, there was one Dragon that just kept circling, and wouldn't attack. I looked to my right, and there were three Giants looking up at it patiently. The Dragon eventually gave up and flew away. Lol.

After hearing this WC, I've found that all Skyrim stories are not created equal. There is a subtle art in telling a well crafted Skyrim story.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I listened to it, not bad. Andrea doesn't bother me, but it seems like most female podcasters who aren't Kat Bailey annoy gaf.

In any event, I agree with the comments on Garnett. I like him but he does have this almost infantile intolerance for things that don't fit their preconceived notion of what he wants them to be. The WOW action house, the new TR are just a couple examples where I was like "c'mon, you're supposed to be a professional, at least wait until they release and you try them before you go off the deep end". Its almost like he's playing at being internet champion or something.

Blazyr

I'm sure I'll regret this, but I really take exception to being called intolerant.

The Diablo real money ah seems to be a popular example. I got on my soap box about it because I genuinely believe it to be opening the door to a host of potential problems, but if that's what players want, then it will be a success and hopefully my concerns will be addressed.

So far as games in general go, I've never been one to care one way or the other about what people like. Hell, I get judged all the time for my likes/dislikes, and they range all over the board from AAAs to indies to mobile apps of just about an genre.

Osietra

Banned

Barnett ignores this place. But you've missed some good discussions.

Garnett you're OK in my book. I'd rather have a host who's passionate and gets hot headed over stuff like that, than one who doesn't really care about anything. If nothing else it makes for entertaining listening.

Osietra

Banned
Garnett you're OK in my book. I'd rather have a host who's passionate and gets hot headed over stuff like that, than one who doesn't really care about anything. If nothing else it makes for entertaining listening.

You're basically ignoring my excellent zing.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Listened to this the other night and I have to agree with the 100 friends list limit being complete bullshit. I also don't see how someone could possibly argue against having more friends on your list. The argument, "Do you play with those 100 people on your list?" I'll bet that no one who has maxed their list does but it's not like you communicate on a regular basis with everyone you've added on Facebook or call everyone in your phone book on a regular basis either.

It was a good episode. I haven't played Skyrim and probably won't but I do enjoy the stories told on the podcast. I was dying when Garnett was telling his story about trying to protect that woman but failed to do. Then afterwards looting her home and her body. "That coat's worth 300 gold, gimme that shit!" :lol so good.

Props to Jeff mentioning Skyward Sword. I'm about 20 hours in and am having such a good time with it. I'm still being surprised by the game with different gameplay elements and the dungeons are really top notch. I'm hoping for a full discussion soon. I'll wait to finish the game though before I really listen and read any reviews or critique.

FL4TW4V3

Every time Andrea is on the show Garnett seems to go into some kind of perv mode IMO. Not what I want from my gaming podcasts.

Huff

Banned
Every time Andrea is on the show Garnett seems to go into some kind of perv mode IMO. Not what I want from my gaming podcasts.

Perv mode or just making sexual jokes with a female friend? I find it hilarious when people freak out about this.

frequency

Garnett kind of makes creepy-uncle-like jokes all the time. I don't know why people seem to notice it more when Andrea is on.

Note: I don't think that's a bad thing. I love Garnett and all his cute charms.

Chuckman

So...just listened to it all the way through.

I'll agree with some of the previously mentioned criticisms above.

One thing is, while I do enjoy Skyrim a lot, I wish they would tone it down a bit there to cover more things.

And my primary feedback would be - I really want to hear impressions on Star Wars: The Old Republic when it launches. It's an 11th hour release this year, and I think it would be interesting to listen to discussion about that (and maybe MMOs/MMO design in general), especially with everyone starting fresh.

Maybe check out the PC Gamer Podcast to hear more on SWTOR. Their latest episode has TOR talk since the embargo has been lifted. I enjoy that podcast since it is focused soley on PC games, which isn't Weekend Confirmed's strongest point.

Chuckman

Ugh an Andrea episode

Heh, I'm actually starting to like Andrea. I thought she was pretty good this episode. I don't even have a 3DS or Super Mario Land 3D and I pretty much agree with everything Andrea said about it lol. I'm not sure why Jeff said she was going out on a limb and going to take a lot of backlash about loving Mario. You go Andrea! I'm a Mario lover too!

Tobor

I want more Skyrim talk. I always have to suffer through whatever bullshit shooter of the week is popular, for once, they're excited about the same game I am. Give me more!

Also, I can't believe after the 337 hours of Fear 3 talk Garnett subjected us to, he never even played the game. Lol.

Sceptic

Banned
I'm not sure why Jeff said she was going out on a limb and going to take a lot of backlash about loving Mario. You go Andrea! I'm a Mario lover too!

Jeff was being sarcastic.

Anyway it's kind of getting annoying in just how many games Garnett doesn't play. The Skyrim talk in this ep was just weird and this was coming from a guy who's favorite dev is Bethesada and who has played 50 hours in Skyrim. I have to disagree about MW3 having better hoard then Gears. What was Garnett smoking? I brought a PC for $700 that plays all the new games. Sure it's more than $150 for a 360 but that $900 is a bit much. Anyone else think the Assassin Creed talk was really all over the place especially with Garnett trying to tie it with Skyrim.

On Skyrim co-op I really don't want co-op in my single-player games. Sure if they can do it without sacrificing the core experience it would be great but making a good co-op experience you would have to fundamentally change up the core experience or end up in a Fable kind of thing and nobody wants that.

nel e nel

I'm sure I'll regret this, but I really take exception to being called intolerant.

The Diablo real money ah seems to be a popular example. I got on my soap box about it because I genuinely believe it to be opening the door to a host of potential problems, but if that's what players want, then it will be a success and hopefully my concerns will be addressed.

So far as games in general go, I've never been one to care one way or the other about what people like. Hell, I get judged all the time for my likes/dislikes, and they range all over the board from AAAs to indies to mobile apps of just about an genre.

What kind of problems do you see it potentially opening the doors to? The only argument I walked away with from that episode was that you were disheartened because now people won't have to play the game the way you think it should be played.

As far as my limited understanding of that feature is concerned, it sounds like it's completely optional, and if you only play with people you know vs. the general public, then it won't really affect your own experience. Is that close to the mark?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Garnett on why it would make sense to not be able to use spells while riding on a horse was totally insane. Someone should have held him by the hand and told him to stop.

Tobor

The Garnett bashing is getting a little out of hand in here.

We still love ya, GL, don't take it personal.

coopolon

Really enjoyed the show. I found it pretty funny how Andrea kept trying to move the conversation to AC Rev. It's cool that she likes it so much.

Jeff keeps saying no one else is making games like Skyrim, I hope he's played the Gothic series and Risen.

I agree with the poster above that commented on how none of this Skyrim talk makes him want to play the game. None of it sounds interesting at all. I didn't enjoy Oblivion or Fallout 3, but I was hoping to hear something in any of the podcasts I listen to that would make me want to get it. It has lore? Lots of little quests that are really just time wasters? I just don't get it, and EVERY podcast is spending tons of time on it.

Goldmund

I agree with the poster above that commented on how none of this Skyrim talk makes him want to play the game. None of it sounds interesting at all. I didn't enjoy Oblivion or Fallout 3, but I was hoping to hear something in any of the podcasts I listen to that would make me want to get it. It has lore? Lots of little quests that are really just time wasters? I just don't get it, and EVERY podcast is spending tons of time on it.
Skyrim being a terrific and terrifically troubled game aside, it's very different from the games these people are expected to have played throughout the year. They will recognize this and be thankful.

Skyrim being a terrific and terrifically troubled game aside, it's very different from the games these people are expected to have played throughout the year. They will recognize this and be thankful.
But does that mean that every podcast has to wax orgasmically about what sound like completely ordinary game occurrences for weeks on end?

Goldmund

But does that mean that every podcast has to wax orgasmically about what sound like completely ordinary game occurrences for weeks on end?
What should annoy you is that they are excited about the possibilities of a medium cautiously explored in this series instead of asking their realization to be the minimum. Imagine these random occurrences in a game that doesn't remind you of once being reclusive and reading bad fantasy novels filled to the brim with paper-thin, wooden characters.

Flavius

Haven't listened to this episode yet (saving for my Monday morning commute), but after hearing a couple of these Skyrim stories from prior episodes, I find myself firmly entrenched in the camp that believes the storytellers need to do a better job of conveying why these experiences are so cool.

John Davison kicked this stuff off years ago with his Oblivion tales, but if you go back and listen, he didn't just describe what he was doing in the game-world. He was explaining what happened to him in the context of being a gamer, and incorporating all of the silly gamey-bits into his tales as well (his horse dying, or running away...that was a funny one). If you're going to simply tell a tale about an experience that you had in the game, and not properly contextualize/set-up those events for your audience, then you're never going to be able to effectively convey just how awesome that experience was. I'm not saying that you should so this. Rather, I'm suggesting going beyond simply recounting an experience from your gameplay.

Again, hate to draw comparisons here, but if anyone's listened to Brad Shoemaker on the Bombcast relate his experiences in Skyrim...I'd suggest that's a much better avenue for interesting conversation. He's not just relating the narrative (actually, that's peripheral to his conversation). He's telling you about the cool shit that happened to him in the game.

Love that you guys are digging the game so much, but yeah...hoping your discussions get a little shot in the arm to make it a tad more entertaining. ;)

BJK

I had real issues when Andrea made her first appearances on the show. I'm about as far into AC: Revelations as she is, and I agree with her take on the game. Now that she's a semi-regular on the podcast, that weird 'competing for the attention of the pretty girl' vibe has died down significantly. I don't know that it would be fair to say she's gotten much better, so much as the show is doing a much better job of integrating her into the normal flow of the podcast than it used to.

Too bad she had to ruin most of the goodwill in the Tailgate. Vikings fans deserve no pity. Go Pack Go!

Loved the leftovers segment, if only because I haven't played most of the games referenced either.

Have to ask about Skyrim. Most people who keep talking...and talking...and talking about this game speak more to the open world aspects and the exploits / bugs than they do about the main quest line itself. I know that the game has one, and that it has something to do with killing dragons and shouting....but is the actual 'main' story in the game any good? I haven't broken up with WoW yet (although we're definitely seeing other people), but the lack of a real narrative drive to the game is starting to wear thin. Is Skyrim leveling just to level-up, or does all the open worldliness eventually go somewhere?

Can I just say I love the little trend Gamers With Jobs has going where they bring Jeff on to gush about a game (Rage, Skyrim) and then the next week they follow it up with "ehh... here's everything wrong about the game."

Also I saw on twitter that Garnett's PC died :( Give your budget to Tested and have them build you a new one when they build Jeff Green's new PC. Worth the drive to SF for sure. Guest on the podcast while your at it. GFW This Is Only A Test Confirmed extravaganza!

LiK

Good show. Btw, it's Whiterun and Riverwood, not Riverrun. I want more Skyrim chat.

Sorry Jeff, but please no board game discussions. :x

Have to ask about Skyrim. Most people who keep talking...and talking...and talking about this game speak more to the open world aspects and the exploits / bugs than they do about the main quest line itself. I know that the game has one, and that it has something to do with killing dragons and shouting....but is the actual 'main' story in the game any good? I haven't broken up with WoW yet (although we're definitely seeing other people), but the lack of a real narrative drive to the game is starting to wear thin. Is Skyrim leveling just to level-up, or does all the open worldliness eventually go somewhere?

I'm not very far into the main storyline, but from what I have experienced, it is genuinely good. Definitely better than many a game's storyline with an honestly interesting plot. (Again, not very far in.) That, along with the Civil War at play, among the various other side-plots makes for a very engrossing experience.

One thing I will say about the College of Magic questline is that, while the content and presentation/production value are very good, it feels incomplete. Incomplete in a very odd way in that's it's abrupt. You have a good beginning/setup, and an exciting denouement/end, but there really isn't much meat at all in the middle. The "journey" is far too short going from a fresh-faced initiate to the completion of the questline. The story really would have benefitted from more time building to a climax.

And this is talking about something that still maybe takes 5-10 hours or so to complete (hard to say as I did other things in between). So it's really hard to criticize as it feels like it could have been developed into a great primary story for any other game, but is only a side-quest (albeit a major one) here. It's just that so many other things in the game are so good, that the finer points stand out.

I'm not very far into the main storyline, but from what I have experienced, it is genuinely good. Definitely better than many a game's storyline with an honestly interesting plot. (Again, not very far in.) That, along with the Civil War at play, among the various other side-plots makes for a very engrossing experience.

Well, you make at seem more interesting than all of those other commentators do. I think the problem with all these "Skyrim Stories" is the same with GTA stories. All I hear about are these tiny little anecdotes of finding some enemy, or exploring some little dungeon, and none of it sounds particularly interesting. Hearing that there is a real backbone to the game, an interesting story that all of these little things are hung onto, makes it sound a little better (something that GTA4 did not have, IMO, and therefore I got bored with it). I'm still not a fan of enemies that level with you. I prefer the Dark Souls approach, where you need to build up to fighting some serious enemies.

Well, you make at seem more interesting than all of those other commentators do. I think the problem with all these "Skyrim Stories" is the same with GTA stories. All I hear about are these tiny little anecdotes of finding some enemy, or exploring some little dungeon, and none of it sounds particularly interesting.

I love listening to gaming podcasts and the hosts often have cool insights into particular games, genres or the industry as a whole but I can't remember the last time I was listening and thought "man he/she is a great story teller"

I think someone above made the same point. Its not really a Weekend Confirmed problem though, I'm sure truly great story tellers are few and far between

Part of the problem might be the HUGE aversion to spoilers most of the audience has (not me you big babies :p). Its hard to say anything interesting when everything interesting is a spoiler

mik

mik is unbeatable
Loved the leftovers segment, if only because I haven't played most of the games referenced either.

I love the concept of it (though not the endless stream of forced puns), but unless the hosts are planning to tackle any of those games for discussion on a future episode, it was just a "hey, here are all the games that came out this year" list.

LiK

I love the concept of it (though not the endless stream of forced puns), but unless the hosts are planning to tackle any of those games for discussion on a future episode, it was just a "hey, here are all the games that came out this year" list.

you changed your avatar! noooo

Didn't weekend confirmed have a segment where they talked about old games? Man that was long ago...

The problem with the Skyrim stories (especially Jeff's) is that he just DESCRIBES what happens to him. He doesn't really break it down critically. There's very little analysis, it's just 'this is sooooo good, I loooove it, oh, and then this happened, then this happened...' In many ways most of their Skyrim discussions have been immature and slightly childish.

Not to mention almost all of Jeff's stories could be about Dark Souls, practically word for word. "And then this dragon just came out of nowhere, and I started fighting it, then a giant came and killed me in 1 hit, then I found a forest area with a little bit of sunlight!"

Fjordson

Good show. Btw, it's Whiterun and Riverwood, not Riverrun. I want more Skyrim chat.
Haha, I was just thinking that last night while listening. Riverrun is from A Song of Ice & Fire.

Enjoyed this episode a lot. Wasn't a big fan of Andrea early on as a guest, but she's grown on me.

LQX

What Andrea said about being so far gone from the main story in a game while sinking 30 hours in while just completing 10% of the main story is what I'm going through with right now with Skyrim.

Ugh, I'm amazed that the game can offer that much to do but at the same time its becoming so, so daunting that I have veered so off far from the main game due to some of these side quests. I have put 44 hours into Skyrim yet I just about 5 quests into the main story.

I'm having some of the most fun I have had this year with a game but that fact I'm sinking so much hours in and not getting anywhere or anything done is almost getting to me. And I'm one of those gamers that have to complete every game I start so you can imagine the stress of it. Its almost becoming work but admittedly fun.

Jhriad

Poor Jeff, having to actually argue with her that Xbox Live is a social network, which is completely and totally obvious.

I agreed with her. That doesn't mean they should let that stop them from upping the friends list limit for folks that would like it (which are a very small minority).

I listened to it, not bad. Andrea doesn't bother me, but it seems like most female podcasters who aren't Kat Bailey annoy gaf.

Kat Bailey's voice annoys me. She knows her stuff though which is nice. Never really been bothered by Andrea.

As far as my limited understanding of that feature is concerned, it sounds like it's completely optional, and if you only play with people you know vs. the general public, then it won't really affect your own experience. Is that close to the mark?

Unless something is different with this one you get better loot the more people you have in a game so folks commonly have to let the general public in even if they're playing with a friend just to hit the max number of players and maximize their chance at the best loot.

Also <3 GL & really enjoyed the Leftovers segment. I like getting a reminder of some games I've just forgotten to go back and buy/play over the past year or two. I was actually just thinking about purchasing Vanquish and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West because I was reminded about them via the Black Friday deals I saw on both.

Top Bottom