• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Sixaxis problem

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
****, spend 600$ for a PS3 and get broken gameplay. THis is the best. Sony is shit.

Manp

SeaOfMadness said:
i think maybe now we see why microsoft chose not to use bluetooth for their wireless controllers.

that and maybe the fact that Xbox 360's wireless supports up to 40 devices and not just 7

:)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BTW, I've played "some" (heh) PS3 today and this hasn't happened to me at all. Mainly resistance and motorstorm. There are so many variables as to what it could be-- interference, bad syncs, just needing to power cycle...

No idea. Works great now. I love the sixaxis.

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
BTW, I've played "some" (heh) PS3 today and this hasn't happened to me at all. Mainly resistance and motorstorm. There are so many variables as to what it could be-- interference, bad syncs, just needing to power cycle...

No idea. Works great now. I love the sixaxis.

Yeah, I've been playing since Tuesday and today was the first time it happened...and then it happened about once an hour or so... >_<

Y2Kev

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I've been playing since Tuesday and today was the first time it happened...and then it happened about once an hour or so... >_<

It was strange. I was about to deem it the "SuxAsses" (LAwl omg), but I don't quite know what the issue is. Might be my phone headset causing interference whenever it rings. :lol

So far so good...sony needs to patch though.

aku:jiki

TTP said:
Actually, that occurred to me a couple of times too. In Resistance.
Me too. The pad just shut itself off even though it was at 80% power. Genji, btw. I also had my first lock-up in that game (and it just had to be in the middle of that intense beach fight right before the crab too, luckily my character was headed for safety when it happened).

Marconelly said:
Is that really true? Why can you only use 4 controllers at the same time on X360.

Yep, it's true. The limiting of controllers to only four was a choice it seems, but I'm guessing that could be updated should the need arise. I personally never see me needing more than four controller on any console, so not a big deal to me at all.

MegaTen

Banned
Man, this sounds like an annoying problem. I'm glad I stuck to my "dont buy a Playstation product when it first comes out" decision. Hopefully they fix this soon..

kojacker

My guess at this stage would be a bluetooth problem too.

I have written a few multiplayer wireless (with bluetooth) games for cell phones and lag/disconnection is obviously a problem. If you imagine starting a 2 player racing game, your handset (server) needs to know where the remote player (client) car is positioned at any time to paint it on your screen. So the server receives the car position and maybe the vector over the wireless link. If that link is broken or slows down the server doesn't now exactly where the remote player's car is. So the game needs to make a decision, like any networked game in that position (for example to make the other player's car stop, disappear, or, perhaps in this case, make an educated guess by continuing it along the last vector) until the real location can be read again and the player repositioned correctly.

As you mentioned the character seemed to continue along the same path for a short while, it seems maybe this latter technique was used by the game while the connection to the controller was re-established. Ofcourse it's different things but I'm just throwing that out there as a thought.

Aske

I wonder why there's been no mention of this from the major gaming websites. IGN and Gamespot must have clocked hours of Sixaxis time - weird that there would be no mention of this until now.

Aske said:
I wonder why there's been no mention of this from the major gaming websites. IGN and Gamespot must have clocked hours of Sixaxis time - weird that there would be no mention of this until now.

it could be interference from stuff in people's houses. the media play at work so they may not have a typical setup. same as sony's test labs and wherever else they tested.

i think ms knew about these potential issues and decided not to use bluetooth.

also, i'm curious, how is the latency with the wireless controller? bluetooth wasn't known for extremely low latency. does it feel like it's responsive enough? there aren't any wired controllers to compare to so i guess it's not a huge issue.

also how is battery life for everyone? anyone with both 360 and ps3, how do the controllers compare in that regard?

LukeSmith

TTP said:
This is happening to me at least once per gaming session (happened in RR7, Resistance, Blast Factor and PlayStation Store too): direction input gets 'stuck' for a couple of seconds so that if you turn left in Resistance and release the stick, you still keep doing circles. In Blast Factor I went left, then I wanted to go right, but the ship was still going left (and I died). In the PlayStation Store, cursor simply went off the screen as it had something very important to do for a sec or two. Then he came back.

So, am I the only one experiencing this issue. I already tried another controller.

We've had that same problem in the office. I think GV has some video footage (unreleased as of yet) of this mess happening.

That will be great in onlnie play!

Raistlin

I haven't played online yet, but so far ... so good. No problems with the controller (and I accidentally kicked it about 10 feet across the room earlier :D).

BTW - Battery life seems good ... I'm still at full bars the last time I checked (a few hours ago) ... and I've probably been screwing around on the PS3 a good 8 hours so far.

Y2Kev

Scoot said:
We've had that same problem in the office. I think GV has some video footage (unreleased as of yet) of this mess happening.

That will be great in onlnie play!

I wonder if it is bad bluetooth boards in some of the controllers.

I know it's the weekend (and it's right after launch), but I was wondering if you've heard from Sony on this since you guys heard about Madden getting patched on Friday after a Friday launch. Heh. I haven't been able to find anything on Sony's official boards.

Raistlin

Hunter D said:
No patch can fix the problem, it is a common issue with bluetooth.

Do you know what the actual issue is?

Are there any ways to minimize it? ie. distance from transmitter to receiver? ... line-of-sight ... etc?

Hunter D

Onix said:

Are there any ways to minimize it? ie. distance from transmitter to receiver? ... line-of-sight ... etc?
I don't have a PS3 yet, but I do have a bluetooth keyboard and the same thing happens. The problem has to do with the signal transmission. I'm guessing its one of the reasons why people were hoping the PS3 used RF instead.

White Man

Onix said:

The issue is that bluetooth is a pretty unreliable technology. This is why I never recommend it for keyboards and mice. Its use should be confined to like, syncing your cell phone to your computer.

i hate to say it but i think sony used bluetooth mostly because of marketing. it was one more checkbox they could put on the box "bluetooth? check." people are pretty familiar with bluetooth already.

using a proprietary rf technology like ms did (which i think is patented, by the way) would have been less "cool" even if it maybe would have been better for gaming.

now having said that, i'm sure sony will work out the bluetooth issues eventually (or at least i hope so for their sake), but i think ms is sitting back in their offices going "yep, i told you so..."

LJ11

SeaOfMadness said:
i hate to say it but i think sony used bluetooth mostly because of marketing. it was one more checkbox they could put on the box "bluetooth? check." people are pretty familiar with bluetooth already.

People that are "familiar" with bluetooth actually know the hassles of the technology as evidenced in previous posts. So to say they added Bluetooth for marketing purposes is a bit illogical. Bluetooth is dirt cheap that's why Sony put it in.

Y2Kev

It's not just "bluetooth" though, it's bluetooth HID. It's not used in keyboards.

And the wii is using bluetooth too, so I hope it's a fixable problem. Other than that, plug your controller in for the workaround.

LJ11

Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's not just "bluetooth" though, it's bluetooth HID. It's not used in keyboards.

And the wii is using bluetooth too, so I hope it's a fixable problem. Other than that, plug your controller in for the workaround.

So the Wii is using Bluetooth HID as well, or is it standard 2.0?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The BT tech used in PS3 and controllers is not the same everyone has been using with various mice and keyboard. It's some new, better revision of it, which I forgot the name for. So there still may be hope this is fixable in software and is not something inherent to hardware.

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:
So the Wii is using Bluetooth HID as well, or is it standard 2.0?

Oh, I don't know what the Wii is using.

Every time it comes up on GAF though, someone always comes in and explains why it won't be a lagfest for the controller because of the HID thing.

The fact the lag (is it lag) is not reliably happening is peculiar. I would at least like to see a response from Sony though.

LJ11

I did a search on this Bluetooth HID and HID stands for human interface device, which means Keyboards/Mice and anything in between. Not sure if they are using some Bluetooth derivative but I'm sure Sony will come up with a solution sooner or later.

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:
I did a search on this Bluetooth HID and HID stands for human interface device, which means Keyboards/Mice and anything in between. Not sure if they are using some Bluetooth derivative but I'm sure Sony will come up with a solution sooner or later.

Yeah, take back what I said. I think I misquoted the post I am thinking of.

Whatever it is, I agree...Sony better fix it if people are having issues with it. Sending out wires to everyone with problems is not okay. :lol

I did notice that the PS3 sends data over the wire, so that is interesting.

Raistlin

Hunter D said:
I don't have a PS3 yet, but I do have a bluetooth keyboard and the same thing happens. The problem has to do with the signal transmission. I'm guessing its one of the reasons why people were hoping the PS3 used RF instead.

Does anyone have a summary of the differences between the bluetooth specs?

PS3 is using one of the new ones, but I'm not sure what that really means.

This is where Microsoft's experience with Windows comes in handy. They had dealt with Bluetooth before and had a pretty good understanding of it. Thus, they knew to stay away from it for controller purposes.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Lah-ha! Sixaxis... more like Suxasses.

Am I write!

---

Just kidding. A joke. Please no ban.

Y2Kev

davepoobond said:
how do you figure this out?

Plug it into a PC and it knows it's a SuxAsses (lol). There are just no drivers for it yet, so we can't use it in games. Also, nobody has complained about dropped signals while wired, so there's your second issue.

I do like how fast the PS3 controller syncs. Press the PS button and it is instant.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Plug it into a PC and it knows it's a SuxAsses (lol). There are just no drivers for it yet, so we can't use it in games. Also, nobody has complained about dropped signals while wired, so there's your second issue.

I do like how fast the PS3 controller syncs. Press the PS button and it is instant.

interesting. does the device "install" only one thing or multiple devices when you plug it into the PC?

for example, when you first plug in a video camera, a bunch of balloons will pop up saying it detects a memory card reader, a this, a that, etc.

Y2Kev

davepoobond said:
interesting. does the device "install" only one thing or multiple devices when you plug it into the PC?

for example, when you first plug in a video camera, a bunch of balloons will pop up saying it detects a memory card reader, a this, a that, etc.

I haven't done it first hand (Mac), so I'm just going by what Jeff Gerstmann said on the last HotSpot. I think he said it just pops up as "Sony PS3 SixAxis" in the same way "found new hardware: video camera" would.

Mmmkay

Onix said:
Does anyone have a summary of the differences between the bluetooth specs?

PS3 is using one of the new ones, but I'm not sure what that really means.
Bluetooth 2.0 doesn't really add anything to the spec except for higher bandwidth. That's not much to talk about either, since it just does that through increased modulation without touching any of the characteristics of the broadcasting mechanism. The reason why Sixaxis is different from most Bluetooth devices is because HID wasn't always in the standard. It's something that was added down the line specifically for these types of devices. And most people hate Bluetooth because the protocol stack is mega bloated and the software hideously unreliable, but that's neither here nor there for the PS3.

My best guess is that the bug people are reporting sounds like the controller is losing its 'virtual cable' connection with the PS3 momentarily (not quite unplugging) and the latency comes from automatically re-establishing it. If it can't manage that successfully then it'll 'unplug' from the PS3 and it'll probably tell you that the controller disconnected or something. I imagine if it didn't have the auto re-establishment mechanism, the controller would flat out disconnect itself when you guys get this bug.

I've got no clue what could be causing it though, it could simply be interference, but that would have to be pretty severe and this seems to be a common problem for users. It may be an issue with the PS3 itself in the way it operates. I really hope it's fixable and not that the controller is super sensitive to interference.

Raistlin

Mmmkay said:
Bluetooth 2.0 doesn't really add anything to the spec except for higher bandwidth. That's not much to talk about either, since it just does that through increased modulation without touching any of the characteristics of the broadcasting mechanism. The reason why Sixaxis is different from most Bluetooth devices is because HID wasn't always in the standard. It's something that was added down the line specifically for these types of devices. And most people hate Bluetooth because the protocol stack is mega bloated and the software hideously unreliable, but that's neither here nor there for the PS3.

My best guess is that the bug people are reporting sounds like the controller is losing its 'virtual cable' connection with the PS3 momentarily (not quite unplugging) and the latency comes from automatically re-establishing it. If it can't manage that successfully then it'll 'unplug' from the PS3 and it'll probably tell you that the controller disconnected or something. I imagine if it didn't have the auto re-establishment mechanism, the controller would flat out disconnect itself when you guys get this bug.

I've got no clue what could be causing it though, it could simply be interference, but that would have to be pretty severe and this seems to be a common problem for users. It may be an issue with the PS3 itself in the way it operates. I really hope it's fixable and not that the controller is super sensitive to interference.

Thanks for the info!

I'm curious how prevalent it actually is? I haven't noticed any issues so far ... and others have echoed similarly.

Maybe we are lucky?

I don't think it's luck, i think it's more about how close you are to neighbors and the sorts of wireless networks/devices they may use. I have seen issues with lots of 802.11 networks where something as simple as your neighbor using their microwave can cripple your network speed. That's the problem with using a standard that's very cluttered already with other wireless devices in a similar frequency range. I'd say the controller is getting interference and the bluetooth transfer speeds are crawling to a halt, causing the lag/controller packet loss you are seeing.

Y2Kev

It has stopped happening to me. I just did an entire two levels in Resistance (omg) and not once did I encounter the problem. Could starting the system with the controller plugged in and THEN removing it eliminate the problem? In the only cases I've had that problem, I started it from my bed with the SixAxes disconnected.

Dahbomb

Just an interesting tip, if the next time your controller gets held (like if you are playing Resistance and your character starts spinning to the left) just violently shake your controller as if you want to get a Chimera off you. It seems to work for some people. :)

LJ11

Dahbomb said:
Just an interesting tip, if the next time your controller gets held (like if you are playing Resistance and your character starts spinning to the left) just violently shake your controller as if you want to get a Chimera off you. It seems to work for some people. :)

Wii owners that have been experience difficulties are doing the same thing to their Wiimotes, and it seems to be working for them as well.

Top Bottom