• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Erf! [NeoGAF XCOM Let's Play]

Jintor

Sober: Stuck his head out at the wrong time. Thankfully he’s got that helmet nowadays.

iFOQpqWx5walI.jpg

Sober:
Anyway, Septic gets the fuck outta dodge. One grey takes a potshot on the way out, but…

iqo3ywsgtg00Z.jpg

Frontieuk: Seriously, Septic can’t be hit when running. It just doesn’t happen.
Deraldin: This, I can confirm.
Luigi87: That a medkit?

iVEMoZO8Xmtnh.jpg

Sober: Yeah. Some kind of nano-tech omnigel kind of dealy in spray form, from what the labcoats tell me. I don’t really understand it myself, but it’s got enough painkillers in it to let you get on with it… provided you can get to a medbay within an hour or two after use.
Rentahamster: Or what?
Frontieuk: Well, you’ll probably go into cardiac arrest or something. But hey, it’s better than dying out there!
Fin: Yeah… does sound better.

Frontieuk: Anyway, Thy still can’t hit for shit…

izHDzr2nilQAa.jpg

Frontieuk: …and the rookie’s still shitting his pants in terror all the way back there.

ixMoE4cRw5ga7.jpg

Jintor

ibxfiKnkwHJj63.jpg

iblCISSI3bYsYI.jpg

ibhafMNKBcXut9.jpg

Fin: So, I’m guessing Thy runs the fuck away from the burning truck.
Sober: Yep.
Frontieuk: As you might guess logically, only the cab of the truck explodes, so Thy doesn’t actually need to run that far.

iSSXrsmST6mMq.jpg

TheWizard:
Stacks totally hit with that!
Frontieuk: You don’t get to call him Stacks until you’ve fought by his side, Private! But yes, unlucky for poor Stacks and poor, stupid Mupod.

iGou4Rjlou6CZ.jpg

Sober: Meanwhile, the rookie finds his balls, but not any ability to aim his weapon.

ibu2WNCuL44HVq.jpg

Frontieuk: A for effort, though.
Sober: And hey, he doesn’t crack under fire, either.

ibepVMWokwU2vO.jpg

i5wiXhpeoPnbA.jpg

Sober: Intel thinks this grey’s weapon misfired or broke or something. Either way, the Rookie runs up. He’s read the briefings, he heard what happened to the other two glowy shits. So…

iu3locAt82y3X.jpg

iq5R5KyKta7Z.jpg

Sober: He does the smart thing.
Frontieuk: He blows them the fuck up.

iFj1w8qXlCnzU.jpg

Well I think Mupod should get punished for being a twit by getting the arc projector and capturing a sectoid so we can have sectoid salami on the next staff pizza.

zchen

Can't decide what kind of meat you want? Get them all. The Cold Cut Combo is stacked with sectoid-based meats - ham, salami and bologna. It's topped with crisp vegetables and served on freshly baked bread. This combo has a little bit of everything.

Jintor

Luigi87: I can see that Unknown needed to patch Lorebringer up… but why did he climb on top of the truck to get there?

ieRtYR1Jj1B1G.jpg

icsnUAgaEmUa6.jpg

Frontieuk: Because he’s a god-damned idiot, that’s why.
Tu101uk: So now they’re moving up… they’ve lost visibility on target.
Sober: Right, right. Bad decision, but sometimes safety is more valuable than offense.

iHtfIX41uiT74.jpg

itNBmp1p6lr0l.jpg

Sober: Not that Garotte can’t put up a good offense, mind you.

ibu1g44QhmyUIg.jpg

Spirit of Jazz: Neat kill.
Sober: He’ll tell you it was nothing.
Frontieuk: Anyway, the rest of the mission is just standard mop-up…
Sober: Well, except for this bit.

ibetvgfuo1FS1h.jpg

Frontieuk: Mupod’s luck finally runs out…

Jintor

icVxljXTBDMbo.jpg

Frontieuk:
...in relation to getting hit, anyway. Barely dents the armour.
Sober: Anyway, Stacks runs up and cuts the little shit down to size-

ibicXu2rrDEEld.jpg

iUDcNBcj3e0c9.jpg

Sober: …and the party’s over.
Frontieuk: So, class, what have we learnt?

Fin: Medpacks can save your ass?
Rentahamster: Always wear a helmet?
Spirit of Jazz: Don’t just run blindly up to enemies in the vain hope there’s nothing lurking out of sight?

Sober: Not quite.
Tu101uk: Uh… random goddamned luck is worth far more than superior tactics and strategy?
Frontieuk: …
Deraldin: …
Sober: Give that man a prize!

---File End---

ibw7eIvz05eLxo.jpg

i4SYk7c9hmNNO.jpg

ibuRMMnOU3sy73.jpg

ij7GeVFXSejQL.jpg

KILLS/MISSION BOARD:
Mupod – 17/7 (+2)
Thy – 12/7 (+1)
Frontieuk – 7/5 (-)
UnknownSoldier – 6/7 (+1)
Lorebringer – 2/1 (+2)
Deraldin – 2/2 (-)
Sober – 0/1 (-)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least now we know why three of the four guys weren't at the meetings. What's your excuse Unknown?! :p

McNum

Sweet I totally knew I wasn't going to die. Now I get to hang out in the infirmary and play videogames.
I have been meaning to ask about that. What is up with the X-Com arcade machine in the Barracks? If this is just someone having an odd sense of humor, then by all means, indulge yourselves, but it just seems a bit... tacky.

Or is this some part of a cover operation? Do we sell X-Com arcade machines to make people thing we're fictional? If so, I applaud the cover operations team. They are clearly paranoid enough for the job.

(Yes, there's an X-Com arcade machine as an Easter Egg in the Barracks in the game. See if you can find it. Bonus: It's also somewhere else in the game, although not necessarily in the base. Keep an eye open for it)

Tu101uk

Didn't know I had that much "wisdom"... ;D

Looks like I finally make a cameo... Is it time for me to shine (or put my money where my mouth is)?

Awesome LP so far! Keep it up!

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know I had that much "wisdom"... ;D

Looks like I finally make a cameo... Is it time for me to shine (or put my money where my mouth is)?

Awesome LP so far! Keep it up!

Depends on when the next mission is. We've got 3 people out, but there are still 3 other rookies ahead of you on the list and I don't think Jintor will send out a squad of all rookies. None of them have displayed the keen tactical awareness and knowledge of the importance of luck that you have, so maybe you'll get lucky. So to speak...

Luigi87

I'm counting on the survival skills of everyone else to keep ensuring my safe future of lounging around the base and collecting my paychecks.

It pays to be at the bottom.

Or is this some part of a cover operation? Do we sell X-Com arcade machines to make people thing we're fictional? If so, I applaud the cover operations team. They are clearly paranoid enough for the job.

The X-Com arcade game is very popular by the year 2015. Uniquely among online sci-fi futuristic military shooters, it's a cross-platform title while can be played on the PC, in arcades, on PlayStation 4, and on Xbox 720. In reality, it's not actually a game, it's a disguised training simulation for killing X-Rays. The goal of the game is to find people who are candidates for entry into the X-Com project. Players don't realize their scores, K/D ratios, other performance metrics, and audio logs of their voice chats are all being monitored and evaluated. Suitable high-scoring individuals with a military background or civil service history, lack of criminal record, and who don't constantly call everyone online a Mexican Jew Lizard are quietly contacted by our shell organization posing as a small PMC for interviews and further evaluation.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
To: Mupod; Thy; Lorebringer
Subject: Trooper Status

All this writing, I do not even understand half of what it is I am supposed to be writing. Director just tells me to write so I write. But not you three...

I saw the reports when you came back from last mission. Mupod was set to come back to duty 3 days ago, Thy 7 days and Lorebringer 1 day ago. Somehow you three are still in medical wing. If I did not know better I would think that you are avoiding active duty so you do not get roped into Operation: Mad God like the rest of squad.

Do not worry though. Deraldin tells rest of squad that your injuries must be more severe than first seemed. After all, squad members do not abandon their own. Everyone is most eagerly anticipating your return. I hear some of the guys planning a surprise for when you get back!

Jintor

"Oh, there you are, Director. We thought you weren't going to make it."

"Yes, yes, I've been catching up on the paperwork, Captain. A surprising amount of legal documentation to get through for a clandestine, under-the-radar paramilitary organisation. What's been happening?"

"Nothing unfriendly to report in the skies just yet, sir. Dr Jamie is reporting that XSAT-002 has just gone operational over Japan, though."

"Excellent. Anything else?"

"Uh, Professor Sonicmj1 has completed excavations on floor one."

"Good. I was getting sick of the jackhammers."

"We're also operational on the Officer Training Academy, sir. Mupod and Thy are discussing tactical concerns right now."

"I'll leave them to it for now. But I believe you sent me a priority memo about something, Dr Billiechu?"

"Yes, well, it's Dr BigJiantRobut. I think he's come up with something you're going to want to see..."

Danj

So whatever happened to this thread? It was awesome, but then it seems to have dropped off the face of the planet?

Top Bottom