• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well I'm fat again

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
I really let my weight go after the 2016 election, but I'm finally back to counting calories. I've been using MyFitnessPal for about a month and I can now fit into jeans that didn't fit a month ago!

Luckily i've gotten into a good habit of not overeating, and i've cut most the garbage out of my diet. Occasionally I might "break" and binge eat but it's been two weeks since that last happened! And I make sure to log any binge eating I do on my fitnesspal, so its there are a reminder.

I was 5'8" 410 pounds last time I went to the doctor but I'm not sure where i'm at right now. I'm just focusing on getting the diet right and having my clothes fit better.

Also I feel like I'm really lucky to have a job where I'm on my feet all shift. If I had had a totally sedentary desk job back when I wasn't paying attention to my weight i'm sure it would be even worse than it is now.

Vuci

Stop buying things with sugar/carbs in it, that shit's addicting. You can't beat yourself up over craving it and not feeling satiated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can you please provide some links? I’m gonna try keto soon, but not sure where to start. I’ve checked out a few sites but they all wanna sell me stuff lol.

I believe we have a bunch of threads on this forum. There is always the reddit board, too.

No idea what sites you are visiting, but don't let anyone fool you into buying bullshit, whether it's Atkins branded candy bars or Ketosticks to pee on.

You just need good information about what has carbs and what doesn't and you can then customize from there to eat the foods you like.

Dark_castle

Diets don't work. What works is a life style change that involves eating the right groups of food for the majority of time in reasonable portions, and incorporate good doses of resistance training, cardio being optional. I'd say forget about all the fancy keto diet, just eat whole food, protein, lots of veges/fruits, cut out most of the processed food like cookies, sugary drinks. Adopt this change gradually over time so that you can find a nice balance that can sustain for life. Learn to prep your food in bulk. Worry less about calorie counting and more about what you eat. If you can get your meal plan right, then supplement the progress with exercises, mainly lifting or body weight workouts or high intensity cardio like running. That's how I go about my weight loss journey.

Wollan

"You worked hard to make me healthy and want a break? Fuck you!"

Our bodies both have assholes and are assholes.

What is the evidence for this btw?
Here's one article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27136388
Basically if you have been historically fat then the body will remain in 'starvation mode' / metabolic adaption... and permanently.
Best counter-agent is to incorporate training/moving-one hour per day + conscious eating for the remainder of your life.

I went from 280ish to 170ish over the course of a few years, and so far maintaining my weight has been a whole new challenge. I know how to lose weight, so I can always claw my way back, but I find it very difficult to just stay at the same weight. It's like a whole new skill I have to learn.

I have no 'normal', if that makes sense. I can't just eat when I'm hungry and maintain the same weight like I assume naturally non-fat people do; I'm more or less always hungry, and I never really reach a point where I feel like I'm done eating. I can gain weight insanely quickly, too, so I basically just have to watch my calories like a hawk for the rest of my life, I guess. I'm hoping my body will learn how to be a normal weight with time, though I won't get my hopes up.

Diets don't work. What works is a life style change that involves eating the right groups of food for the majority of time in reasonable portions, and incorporate good doses of resistance training, cardio being optional. I'd say forget about all the fancy keto diet, just eat whole food, protein, lots of veges/fruits, cut out most of the processed food like cookies, sugary drinks. Adopt this change gradually over time so that you can find a nice balance that can sustain for life. Learn to prep your food in bulk. Worry less about calorie counting and more about what you eat. If you can get your meal plan right, then supplement the progress with exercises, mainly lifting or body weight workouts or high intensity cardio like running. That's how I go about my weight loss journey.
This is the only advice I've seen in this thread that I fully support.

While I'm glad so many of you are getting results from keto and low-carb diets, it just made me miserable. Such severe restrictions on our food choices and micromanaging macros and calories is exhausting. Why not just eat a whole lot of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains made from scratch? You don't even have to count calories. You can't fuck up if you do that 3 times a day. This is what I do now, and I'm happier and fitter than ever. Everyone is different though! Just offering an alternative to the majority of advice being to restrict carbs.

Buckle

Here's one article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27136388
Basically if you have been historically fat then the body will remain in 'starvation mode' / metabolic adaption... and permanently.
Best counter-agent is to incorporate training/moving-one hour per day + conscious eating for the remainder of your life.
Damn...That is really fucked up.

Guess thats the price I'll pay for a lifetime of sugar and caffeine highs though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can relate. Lost about 50lbs a few years back but more or less gained it all back.

I have anxiety and depression and comfort eat a lot, then I get depressed about that and its a vicious circle.

I've lost weight once so I know I can do it again, it's just sustaining it. Think I may try the keto diet and see how I adapt, since I incorporated IF into my lifestyle and thats stuck.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can relate. Lost about 50lbs a few years back but more or less gained it all back.

I have anxiety and depression and comfort eat a lot, then I get depressed about that and its a vicious circle.

I've lost weight once so I know I can do it again, it's just sustaining it. Think I may try the keto diet and see how I adapt, since I incorporated IF into my lifestyle and thats stuck.

It's a real bitch, huh? I will feel awful and know getting into bed with a big, greasy pizza will cheer me up so I do it, but an hour later I'm more depressed because I wasted £10 I didn't have and ate 1200 calories I shouldn't have. Sugar free Polo's have always helped me, I suck on them all day.

Top Bottom