• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well it's Groundhog Day...again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

EvHxI9Q.gif

Retro

Fun fact: Harold Ramis originally suggested that Phil was stuck in the loop for 9-10 years, but later decided it was closer to 30 or 40.

In the original script (which was much darker), it was closer to 10,000 years; Phil tracked time by reading a page of a book each day and had managed to read through the entire public library.

HeySeuss

Fun fact: Harold Ramis originally suggested that Phil was stuck in the loop for 9-10 years, but later decided it was closer to 30 or 40.

In the original script (which was much darker), it was closer to 10,000 years; Phil tracked time by reading a page of a book each day and had managed to read through the entire public library.

That's a pretty clever way of tracking time. Until you get to the point where you've read so many books you don't remember where you left off. Since you can't arrange them in piles of read/unread you'd have to rely solely on memory of which ones you've already read.

Retro

That's a pretty clever way of tracking time. Until you get to the point where you've read so many books you don't remember where you left off. Since you can't arrange them in piles of read/unread you'd have to rely solely on memory of which ones you've already read.

I would imagine he started in one specific place and just read them in the order they were shelved? /shrug

I never seen groundhog day before..is it that good?

Not trying to over hype it, but its pretty good dark comedy movie. Phil Murray's character basically repeats February 2nd for thousands of days and does some crazy and funny shit. It's my favorite movie, and my birthday happens to be on Groundhogs Day also.

Izayoi

Banned
Just read them alphabetically. The inventory will never change, so it's the most reliable way to do it.

HeySeuss

I would imagine he started in one specific place and just read them in the order they were shelved? /shrug

Yeah that'd be the only way to do it but it would still be hard after awhile trying to remember where you left off and which shelf.

Just read them alphabetically. The inventory will never change, so it's the most reliable way to do it.

That wouldn't work because every day resets back to the way it started. You'd have to alphabetize after every book you read, and since they aren't arranged on the shelf alphabetically, it would make things more confusing.

Izayoi

Banned
Yeah that'd be the only way to do it but it would still be hard after awhile trying to remember where you left off and which shelf.

That wouldn't work because every day resets back to the way it started. You'd have to alphabetize after every book you read, and since they aren't arranged on the shelf alphabetically, it would make things more confusing.
Aren't they though, within topics, by author?

Izayoi

Banned
You may be right it's been so long since I checked out an actual book at the library. I was thinking you meant overall not just sections.
Ah, yeah. That's how it is at the library I go to, anyway.

After 10000 years it would definitely get a little confusing, I imagine.

How does the brain process all of that information, anyway? Isn't "learning" necessitated by a physical manifestation in the brain, whereby synapses strengthen and create associations?

Hence, it would reset every day as well and you'd have no idea that you were actually in a loop.

This isn't very realistic!

Koomaster

H0vfYNr.jpg

Come on, all the long distance lines are down? What about the satellite; is it snowing in space?
Don't you have some kind of a line that you keep open for emergencies, or for celebrities?
I'm both! I'm a celebrity in an emergency.

Man I was looking forward to this annual thread because it was hilarious and everyone seemed to play along. Must be a lot of new members here now that aren't accustomed to GAF traditions and lore. The DEEPEST LORE.

Maybe it really was too early for flapjacks

Dai101

Banned
Stargate SG-1 had an episode like it as well. It was pretty good, especially when O'neill started to lose it.

d7iEPGH.gif

In Spain the movie is officially called "Atrapado en el tiempo" (Trapped in time), but the majority of people still call the movie the name El Dia de la Marmota (The Groundhog Day). Strange fuck up by the translators that thought the new Spanish name for the movie would work better for marketing that translating the original English name as it is.

rjinaz

Man I was looking forward to this annual thread because it was hilarious and everyone seemed to play along. Must be a lot of new members here now that aren't accustomed to GAF traditions and lore. The DEEPEST LORE.

Maybe it really was too early for flapjacks

Parch

Years ago I had recorded Groundhog Day on the VCR but the tape ran out and I never knew the ending. I could have asked someone but I didn't want it spoiled. I went years without knowing the ending.

When I finally saw the ending it was disappointing. I should have just lived the dream that Murray's Groundhog Day never ended.

cyba89

You may be right it's been so long since I checked out an actual book at the library. I was thinking you meant overall not just sections.

Ah, yeah. That's how it is at the library I go to, anyway.

After 10000 years it would definitely get a little confusing, I imagine.

How does the brain process all of that information, anyway? Isn't "learning" necessitated by a physical manifestation in the brain, whereby synapses strengthen and create associations?

Hence, it would reset every day as well and you'd have no idea that you were actually in a loop.

This isn't very realistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom