• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Were 8 and 16-bit games 60fps?

Yusaku

Is this the flickering effect in NES games? I remember it being in quite a few games, like most of the Megamans, Dragon Warriors, Castlevanias. I think a lot of NES games had the flickering sprite issues. I definitely remember there being slowdown in Megaman 3 at the least.

The flickering was due to a limitation of the number of sprites that could be displayed on a given scanline. Rather than have whole sprites disappear or flicker you would see the scanlines that were at the max sprite limit flicker.

Why are people so obsessed with 60FPS as of lately?

1080p60j9zav.png

Take a guess

kinggroin

Banned
No it was far from 60fps.

I don't remember any games being 60fps back then because they were all hand drawn, besides Starfox of course.

Fps refers to how often the game image is refreshed per second. Sprites or polygons...doesn't matter.

Of course, you can have various elements refresh at different frame rates...but that's not common in old 2D games

Koren

Is this the flickering effect in NES games?
I don't think so, at least usually.

The problem is that old consoles had strange limitations. Such as a maximum number of sprites on a given scanline (8 on NES, 10 on GB IIRC, a bit more on SNES). When there's too many sprites horizontally aligned, some of them would disappear. It's difficult to ensure that there's always 8 sprites or less on a given scanline, though, especially with some games.

To avoid sprites completely disappearing for long amount of time, some games cycle the order of the sprites, so that the ones disappearing aren't always the same ones. Thus the flickering.

That being said, a late updating of the sprites position registers can cause flikering, too, so in very very rare cases, it could be a framerate issue. But that's not the main reason.

I think a lot of NES games had the flickering sprite issues. I definitely remember there being slowdown in Megaman 3 at the least.
A lot of NES games flicker, indeed, because of the 8-sprites limit, which is quite low.

But that usually hasn't anything to do with slowdowns (although flicker appear when there's too many sprites in a single scanlines, and slowdowns when there's too many sprites on screen, so the two can often happen at the same time)

kinggroin

Banned
You didn't notice the difference between 30/60 the analogue days, the 'feeling' people describe is purely because of input lag, the further away from the screens native refresh the more perceptible you will be to input delay, you're only talking milliseconds, but it does become noticeable.

CRT's do not have input lag, the response was immediate.

Huh?? Buddy, the difference between 30 and 60fps was just as apparent then as it is now.

Also, you can be running at exactly the same refresh rate as your display 60fps on a 60hz display, and still experience severe input lag.

kinggroin

Banned
Actually, it's still extremely common. Lots of modern games render some shadows at half framerate, for instance.

No no my mistake. Meant to put not common in2d games.

In 3D its seen in quite a few titles, especially with regards to NPC animations in relation to their distance from your main character.

DrPreston

Almost all games on 8 and 16 bit consoles ran at 60fps. The exceptions are early 3D games like the original Star Fox, and one really shitty Hello Kitty platformer I played on the NES.

Recall

Ocarina of Time ran at 20FPS in NTSC land, and 16FPS in PAL land.

I'm waiting for the day when we have people telling us differently.

ban25

Almost all games were locked to 60hz/fps... The way these 2D games pushed the system was they caused games to drop to a crawl if they couldn't keep up (SNES) or sprites would be removed/flicker (NES) as they tried to display too much for the hardware to handle at once.

The "slowdown" was a result of the game loop executing synchronously, with everything (game state tick, controller input, audio, and video update) occurring in a single frame (16.667ms at 60hz). If the game got behind, everything would slow down. In modern games, these various components are decoupled and updated asynchronously at a frequency that makes sense for the type of game. Some racing games, for instance, will sample the controller input at a higher frequency than the screen update.

In the case of the NES, it had a limit of 8 sprites per line. To go above 8, it was necessary to display them on alternating frames -- hence the flickering.

Koren

No no my mistake. Meant to put not common in2d games.
I don't think it's so uncommon...

I remember a post-mortem on a 16 bits games where the player was updated on odd frames and the enemies on even ones. A strange situation where it was technically a 60Hz game where everything was updated at 30Hz. Quite an interesting way to spare ressources, especially since they implemented faster collision detections using this particularity of the engine.

Should you not be able to do a full update of all the sprite positions in less than 16ms, it's quite an easy solution to only update a part of them for each frames.

I would be at a loss if I had to guess how many games are using this kind of trick, though. I used it myself really often when I was coding small games on (really) old hardware, though.

Thrakier

There have definitely been more discussions about it here since the next gen craze hit.

I hope there will be even more. Low framererates are holding the industry back more than anything else. It shows that there is a focus on the wrong things, not on what makes gaming great. Nintendo, at least regarding that, is far more advanced. They know their shit for the most part.

-KRS-

I played Rock & Roll Racing the other day and it definitely wasn't 60 fps. So no, all of them weren't but it was more or less the standard.

Regarding the sprite flicker on the NES I just want to clear up something. The sprites flicker because the game is programmed that way. It's not the hardware doing it, it's the software. The software is doing it because of the hardware limitations yes. But it's a design choice so they could have more sprites on the screen at once.

And regarding the PAL signal. The standard doesn't include "PAL-60", aka a 60hz 480i PAL signal. That's something that has been included by manufacturers in most TVs from the late 90s and forward. But the standard itself doesn't include it as far as I'm aware.

Also, it's true that PAL has advantages like more lines and better colors. But those advantages are completely moot when it comes to 8 and 16 bit games since those games were made for NTSC TVs. So the games were designed for 480 lines and the NTSC colors, which means that the colors look more washed out on a PAL console and there will be black bars under and over the image where the extra lines would be. The only "positive" regarding PAL retro consoles is that the scanlines will be less visible since the space between lines is smaller. But most people like seeing the scanlines so that's not really a positive.

Pimpbaa

Notable Genesis games that were 30 fps or below.

Beyond Oasis (the Saturn sequel was 60 fps)
Chakan: The Forever Man (Same could be said for a number of Sega of America games)
Almost all of EA games(Road Rash, their sports titles, etc)
Practically all of their forward scrolling games (Space Harrier 2, Galaxy Force 2, etc. Actually I'd go as far to say they run at 15 fps or less)

Sega of America must not have been giving their teams proper tools. Seems like all their games had shitty art and use the same fart sounding instruments and to top it off 30fps as well. Or maybe it was just a lack of talent. Especially compared to what Sega of Japan was doing.

Eusis

Don´t get me startet on the cloud. ^^ Again, i wasn´t critisizing the discussion about framerates but rather the (bad) usage of the term by some people.
I dunno if it's bad usage so much as maybe some putting TOO much importance on it. Like if you insisted the color range of the SNES made all games automatically superior, period, Genesis games and jump off a cliff, even though it's really all about how you use that color palate (though it's admittedly harder to screw up higher resolution/FPS than colors.) Kind of like how Metal Slug was OK at 30 FPS, while Rayman Origins unacceptable, the games were paced for different FPSes, but I don't really need the likes of Metal Slug or Gears of War at 60 THAT badly. Nevermind something like turn based RPGs where it's all arbitrary and it's more important to be consistent and not give a headache.
Which tool is that? Are u german?
I... what? Even as a joke this is completely random.
Sega of America must not have been giving their teams proper tools. Seems like all their games had shitty art and use the same fart sounding instruments and to top it off 30fps as well. Or maybe it was just a lack of talent. Especially compared to what Sega of Japan was doing.
It actually makes me sort of wonder how much of this may be cultural and dependent on where they came from development-wise? Last generation was probably the worst about being 60 FPS relative to the technology available, and that was spearheaded by western development. And I noted before PC games did NOT have smooth scrolling for a very, very long time so they really may not have considered it something important at all. Similarly I swear Xbox games were more frequently at a lower FPS and had more performance hitches that weren't as commonly seen on PS2 or GC (or that's the fact the longest games I played on Xbox were Bioware or Bioware engine RPGs and by proxy tainted the perception for everything else. Halo 2 texture load-in did not help.)

Many emulators have cheat functionality.

As a result, if you can find a cheat that slows the game speed down to .5 speed, then emulate at double speed, you can play a game at a consistent 120fps.

I've done this with Super Smash Bros in Dolphin, and in the past I've done it with Kingdom Hearts 1+2 to play them at 60.

Yep, 120fps Smash looks pretty neat

http://a.pomf.se/tawngi.webm

Hell, 60fps smash ain't bad either

http://a.pomf.se/hpffgu.webm

For the confused, Here's a thread all about Webm's and how to play them on GAF.

Why are people so obsessed with 60FPS as of lately?

Cause people have heard good things. Look at these M's, can you blame them?

I'm curious, was 60fps standard during these gens? Was there ever any games that pushed visuals and dropped down to 30fps?

If those games were running at 60fps then the sprites were only like 2-4 frames of animation per second.

A lot of old games on the Genesis had slow down issues. I think in Sonic 2 there is a place called Marble something zone that's in the jungle and is half under water and half over water. That thing chugs at time. Really anytime in a Sonic game where they funnel you in a chute and you pop out grabbing rings and with enemy sprites that game starts going into bullet time of like 2 or 3 fps (I remember Chemical Plant Zone in S2 having an especially bad one). I don't remember the level name but in Sonic 3 there's like this greek/roman architecture zone that's all destroyed and at one point the whole stage transforms and you have to race through some platforming to escape it. That whole segment is continually going super slow and varying intervals. Streets of Rage has some of that as well. Especially on the beach stage when rain comes down and 3 ninjas come out at you.

It was good stuff though. It made me pretty much immune to caring about slow down in modern gem games. I've had to deal with like stuff dropping to 2 fps. Dipping from 30 to 25 isn't even a thing to mention and anything from 30-60 feels like varying degrees of great as opposed as something to really make a fuss about.

M3d10n

You didn't notice the difference between 30/60 the analogue days, the 'feeling' people describe is purely because of input lag, the further away from the screens native refresh the more perceptible you will be to input delay, you're only talking milliseconds, but it does become noticeable.

CRT's do not have input lag, the response was immediate.

The difference between 30fps and 60fps was massive in "the analogue days". How old are you? Damn.

CRTs had almost zero ghosting compared to LCDs, a 30FPS "blinking" the same frame twice was obvious. Panning the camera around in a 60fps game on a CRT was an entirely different plane of existence than on a 30fps game. 30fps games had a "stuttery" motion that was obvious on CRTs.

Into

Almost every NES game that had medium to large sprites experienced heavy slowdown and even flickering if more than 3 enemies were on the screen. This is best seen and tested with TMNT, but most games had it, some worse than others.

And slowdown in some games was so bad it almost mimics Matrix bullet time.

pixlexic

Banned
60 interlaced is really only 30fps.

there use to be a trick to draw all the even fields one image and all the odd field the next image to make it appear 60fps. not sure if that was ever used during the nes snes day though.

rjc571

Banned
60 interlaced is really only 30fps.
LOL no

there use to be a trick to draw all the even fields one image and all the odd field the next image to make it appear 60fps. not sure if that was ever used during the nes snes day though.
That's not a "trick", that's literally how 60 fps interlaced video is displayed. Each field displays a different half-frame.

Xiaoki

I remember people making a big deal about SF3 Third Strike being 60fps and how it was the first 2D fighting game to be 60fps.

Eusis

Hey, just relaying what people were saying back then.

Also, if SF3TS was not the first 60fps 2D fighting game then what was?
Street Fighter II!

This may be serious, each time I played SF1 I swear the FPS was wretched. And animation certainly wasn't 60 fps in SFIII and I don't think it was in any 2D fighter.

Tain

Hey, just relaying what people were saying back then.

Also, if SF3TS was not the first 60fps 2D fighting game then what was?

Yie-Ar Kung Fu or earlier. Basically, whatever you consider to be the first fighting game was 99.99% likely to be the first 60fps fighting game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Second person to say that it wasnt but still no one saying what was.

Street Fighter II!

This may be serious, each time I played SF1 I swear the FPS was wretched. And animation certainly wasn't 60 fps in SFIII and I don't think it was in any 2D fighter.

Yie-Ar Kung Fu or earlier. Basically, whatever you consider to be the first fighting game was 99.99% likely to be the first 60fps fighting game.

Are you selectively reading?

Xiaoki

'cept me and others right up there

Yeah, I think I know what the confusion is.

Comes from people equating the screen updating 60 times a second to "60 frames per second" and SF3TS being the first 2D fighting game with a frame latency of 16.67ms.

Hopefully people understand now(but I doubt it).

Yep, starting in 2010 there's a clear upward trend. That correlates with my memories of the period where people started talking about it more and more around 2011 or so. I seem to recall that by the time Vanquish came out people were making a big deal about it but I hardly heard any talk of framerates outside of PC circles before then. I mean you'd hear about games being slideshows if they had really bad ones but there wasn't much fuss about shooters, for example. I'm sure fighting game and racing enthusiasts were probably talking about it longer than that though.

It's only rare if you don't use a PC or Nintendo Console for gaming :)

Or don't play fighting games of course.

Yep. I don't have a PS4 or a Xbone yet, but I do have a pretty solid gaming PC and a WiiU. Love them both. I like high framerates, and it's a shame that more of the "AAA" titles don't hit them more often.

Oh well.

Anecdotally, framerate issues were called "slowdown" in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

People always cared about how smoothly a game ran. It can ruin the experience.

No.
It was impossible for them to be 60 frames per second since displays did not support it. 60 fields per second or 30 frames per second possible though.

Console launches increase interest.

Look at 2005, when the 360 was launching. There was a peak all the way up to late 2012 levels.

That was prior to the 360 launch by several months actually, but we now have a much more sustained trend, instead of just a spike around launch time followed by a crash back to pre spike levels.

Top Bottom