• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werewolf |OT| Was it all just a Dream?

Palmer_v1

red_1449421200.png

Palmer_v1

He was prepared for this. It's happened so many times in his dreams; the screaming, the pain, the accusations. He heard it all the time now, even while he was awake. People skulking around his house in the Night... in the Day. He could hear the whispering again, but something was new. Smoke? Smoke and fire. He'd never died this way before, but he was ready.

They came through his front door chanting, but it quickly turned to screams as he ham-stringed the first one through. He could hear their skull crack as they slammed into his hearth. The next one tried to grapple with him, but a vicious eye poke and several swift kidney stabs brought him low as well. One last brave soul came through now, carrying some devious weapon in his hands, spewing fire and smoke. Unfortunately, he tripped and went face first into his own weapon, splattering goo around the floor. The job had to be finished though. He held his attackers head down, face smothered in the dirt and goo, until they stopped twitching and gasping.

Then he licked the goo off one of his fingers.

"Oooh, cream cheese frosting!", said Burbeting, as he stood to his feet.

The crowd outside his door just looked on in horror except for one man.

"Surprise!", yelled Tanner Bob. "You survived two nights!"

Burbeting has survived... but at what cost?

Cornburrito, *Splinter, and Cabot have died!

Welcome CornBurrito!

You are an Ordinary Villager.

You can vote!

Villagers win when they’ve eliminated all threats to the Village.

Welcome *Splinter!

You are an Ordinary Villager.

You can vote!

Villagers win when they’ve eliminated all threats to the Village.

Welcome Cabot!

You are a Village-aligned Guard.

Why are you even here? There’s nothing here worth protecting. What, are you worried that someone is going to come into town and make off with an entire cache of the village’s famous hemlock? If it weren’t for your lovely wife and her father (who is also your father), you’d have every right to pack up and leave. And besides, you’re armed with a baguette. Sure, it’s old, and like really stale and tough, but it’s still fucking bread. God, you wish this would just be over with.
Each Night, you can protect another person by PM&#8217;ing me the command Protect: <target>. You will prevent them from dying for one Night. You may target the same target multiple Nights in a row, but you cannot protect yourself. You can also vote during the day as usual.

Villagers win when they&#8217;ve eliminated all threats to the Village.

DAY 3 BEGINS

roytheone

Burbeting making it to day 3, Half-life 3 may actually exist, the world is truly turned upside down! Thank god the doctor died relatively early, some counter balance against all this weird stuff.

3 kills?!?!?!?

Seriously?

Ok real talk, I would call *splinter a great a worthy opponent but we were both town aligned.

No mercy on our top posters.

Fireblend

Banned
what_doctor_who.gif

I'm on my phone and that gif was a pain to post, but it feels like there's no better appropriate response.

Wtf? I'm not able to post much until tomorrow, but I'll be checking on the thread.

Swamped

Banned
Ok so our three top posters died...this game is going to be so dead now. We better step it up to ensure this thread doesn't turn into a graveyard!

Ughh three is one too many.

One is Wolf kill
One may be SK/vig kill
third one is ???

Makai

Town is losing. 1 Wolf vs 6 Villagers dead. We just lost our top three posters and the rest of us need to put in a lot more effort. The end of Day 2 was shameful - hardly anybody showed up and Style breezed to an uncontested lynch.

batsnacks

Oh. cabot was criticizing himself for guarding a sleepwalker instead of Drop. That makes sense now. Hmm.

Not protecting a confirmed townie via public role, with no other official claims on the table is terrible play. Absolutely terrible.

That's all I'll say.
I don't see much use in protecting sleepwalkers.

I value someone we can 100% trust over the other choices.

FluxWaveZ

Oh... *Splinter was one of the people I was leaning wolf on. Heh, sorry about that.

I was already pretty irritated that we lost Style after I specifically said:
Style, huh. Both him and StarSketch were "decent" targets, but I have a feeling they're both just Town.
And now we've lost 3 more townies.

Oh. cabot was criticizing himself for guarding a sleepwalker instead of Drop. That makes sense now. Hmm.

Huh, guess even he thought that the Sheriff was too predictable/unnecessary a target that he opted to protect someone else.

Burbeting

Banned
Trigger
Batsnacks
Swamped
Zipperpinhead
Makai

All of these people bandwagoned Style on the last 15 minutes yesterday, and effectively saved GreatLord Tiger from lynch.

kingkitty

so the doctor got deputized? looool

anyways I'll try to post some new/updated reads by 8-10pm US eastern time today. Barring any burning questions I'll be watching football.

Swamped

Banned
I remember several people were suspicious of CornBro. There could easily be a wolf among those people, will look into that, and also the interactions that people had with him, since he was one of the "controversial" people.

Fireblend

Banned
The wolves having multiple kills sounded ridiculous when someome suggested it before, but maybe that's what's happening after all, and the town vig/sk carried out the third kill? If the wolves do have a double-kill ability, why not use it during N1?

Burbeting

Banned
The wolves having multiple kills sounded ridiculous when someome suggested it before, but maybe that's what's happening after all, and the town vig/sk carried out the third kill? If the wolves do have a double-kill ability, why not use it during N1?

Maybe Cabot was guarding that target?

kingkitty

maybe this other ability can only kill on even nights? or maybe it was blocked by cabot on night 1?

Makai

Trigger
Batsnacks
Swamped
Zipperpinhead
Makai

All of these people bandwagoned Style on the last 15 minutes yesterday, and effectively saved GreatLord Tiger from lynch.
It was down to Style and GreatLord Tiger and my first pick wasn't getting any traction. But it wasn't even a contest. Hardly anyone showed up for the final vote and it didn't help that Style was absent. Almost everyone voted Style. cabot said he would vote Style to break a tie.

FluxWaveZ

This sounds plausible.

N1: Drop (town) and Terrabyte20xx (wolf) died. One almost certainly by the wolves, the other by an SK/Vig.

N2: CornBurrito, *Splinter and Cabot died; all town. If the wolves have a double kill ability, that accounts for the two deaths and the extra one by an SK/Vig.

And three people didn't die on N1 because Cabot would have protected someone other than the Sheriff.

Burbeting

Banned
It was down to Style and GreatLord Tiger and my first pick wasn't getting any traction. But it wasn't even a contest. Hardly anyone showed up for the final vote and it didn't help that Style was absent. Almost everyone voted Style. cabot said he would vote Style to break a tie.

Maybe it wasn't a contest in your mind, but it certainly was unsure which would be lynched, until the last 15 min happened.

I'm mostly concerned about batsnacks, Swamped and zippers votes.

FluxWaveZ

Then why would cabot criticize himself about his protection target on n1 if the target got attacked?

Because he wasn't predicting the Sheriff to get got on N1, probably.

Seeing how he specifically calls out sleepwalkers, maybe he even saved your life, Mr. Sleepwalker #2.

kingkitty

Then why would cabot criticize himself about his protection target on n1 if the target got attacked?

Maybe Cabot believed it was a better idea to save the confirmed townie who had a special ability, instead of someone who could have potentially been a neutral/useless townie. I'm sure we'll get the answer to this in Cabot's tell-all book.

Palmer_v1

Burbeting is an Aslan allegory. If he doesn't die for our
amusement
, how will we be saved!?

Something something, bad timeline something.

Swamped

Banned

It's likely that Palmer is mad Burb lived
(Not really)

Well, Cabot wouldn't have known if his protection was successful. Only the wolves would know that their kill failed.

It's possible that on odd nights, the wolves get an extra kill but it's too early to make conclusions.

Like, maybe Cabot protected a vet-type role and died in the process.

Anyway, i think looking through those three people's posts will be a useful endeavor.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe Cabot believed it was a better idea to save the confirmed townie who had a special ability, instead of someone who could have potentially been a neutral/useless townie. I'm sure we'll get the answer to this in Cabot's tell-all book.

If that's what Cabot thought, then why isn't Drop here hanging out with us like back in the day?

Fireblend

Banned
Cabot blocking a kill on N1 does make sense. It also makes sense that he spent a good portion of the previous day phase criticizing the doctor to distance himself from the role.

It also seems interesting that the wolves are kind of brute-forcing their way through the game, targeting top posters. Hopefully that confidence will be their undoing.

Swamped

Banned
Maybe it wasn't a contest in your mind, but it certainly was unsure which would be lynched, until the last 15 min happened.

I'm mostly concerned about batsnacks, Swamped and zippers votes.

I wanted Time out, but nobody was going for it. I really believed GLT was town, as i explained during the day, but i was less sure of Style. Also i was one of the few people available at the day end, so i wanted to make my vote count. (I hardly ever get to witness the day end in real time!)

Burbeting

Banned
I have a theory about Cabot's D2 behaviour, but I want to have a more steady Internet first, so I can recheck some of his posts.

Holy wtf!? Day end is usually early morning for me in real life, so what a thing to wake up to.

How would three kills even happen, though? Wolves getting two pet night sounds a bit too strong, even in a game this big. Maybe it was a one-shot double kill ability they have?

My theory, with help from Swamped
One kill from Scum
One kill from Serial Vigilante
One kill because Cabot tried protecting whoever Terra visited n1 and he/she killed Cabot

Burbeting

Banned
All right, I got my stable internet now. I said that I wanted to talk about Cabot’s D2 behaviour, and my theory based on it. We now know, that Cabot was the Doctor. He was also on the top of the town reads for quite many players, and he was deputized to boot, so I can’t say it’s an enormous surprise he was offed. However, I want to look at Cabot’s behavior after D2 began, with Drop dead. Why didn’t Cabot guard Drop?

Well actually, in my theory, he did Guard Drop. Just look at this post in the beginning of the day:

So drop died. I would be incredibly surprised if s doctor didn't try to protect him last night considering he was the only confirmed town and a good target for any half witted doctor. So that points to three things:

1. There is no doctor
2. The doctor was switched/blocked
3. Doctor self healed, which is shocking play since drop was confirmed town.

So, I think he did Guard Cabot, and he is trying to tell us this out loud in this post. He guarded Drop… but Drop died, anyway. What does this mean? Cabot seems to theorise, that he was either switched or blocked during N1. Since he was on top of the town reads for many, I seriously doubt a town roleblocker would block him. I also doubt town switching, there was two valid targets to switch (Drop and Crimson), and I think Palmer dislikes Scum Switchers, so that’s not a thing either.

So what does this leave us? There is the possibility of a scum blocker, who blocked Cabot. There is a chance scum has some sort of strongman role, who can bypass all kinds of protections, so that Cabot’s guard didn’t work.

If my theory is true, then the scum kill did go for Drop somehow, which lead Cabot frustrated, and typing out that post above me. It’s a real possibility, that the scum was able to theorize that he is the Doctor based on it, and then killed him this night, as well. Why there was only Two NK’s, and Three NK’s this night, my theory does not know. But I want to say, it’s dangerous to just assume Cabot was able to guard someone on N1.

FluxWaveZ

So I was curious about who initially suggested that the wolves could kill multiple targets in a single night after Fireblend mentioned it up top, and here it is:
I think the "there must be 2 killing roles" people should consider that in a 29 player game, wolves probably get at least 2 kills every night. This game could take months otherwise.
This comment came out of nowhere when people were discussing the possibility of an SK, and then it was passed off as a "mistake" soon after:
Oh my bad, I should learn to read the day post. I was wondering why everyone was saying there were 2 killing roles.
It was a weird mistake, especially considering our role PM:
I'm talking about our role PM that says that our primary goal in this game is to eliminate all threats, not "eliminate all werewolves." Anyone who actually received a Town role should have that goal, and realize the implication.

So someone questioning the possibility of threats that are not werewolves... it's rather questionable.
Now that this seems to actually be what's going on, it's pretty curious that this "mistake" ended up being an actual werewolf ability.

Is it possible that there's both a serial killer and a vigilante? Especially since there were a few people suspecting CornBurrito, so he might have been a good target for a vig to go after.

Only two kills on night 1 could be explained by either two parties choosing the same target, or maybe one of them is limited in some way.

Burbeting

Banned
So then, assuming my theory is correct (and this is only ASSUMING), wouldn’t the Scum want to think, that Cabot was able to guard someone?
It could very easily make the town think, that someone is a sure Town… someone who is actually Scum.
Now then, who were possibly N1 guard targets for Cabot then (other than Drop)?

CrimsonFist
aaanndd…
LollipopDave & Makai, who were assumed to have some sort of connected PR, like lovers, due to Makai’s soft claim?

Wouldn’t it be a great way for scum to make one of these people confirmed town, by making the assumption that Cabot was able to protect one of them from a scum secondary kill (Since this is the narrative already going in D3).

I had this nagging feeling that Cabot had protected Drop, and that the Scum might actually push for this narrative. So, I did this:

I wanted to bait, and see who might instantly bite on this narrative, and go for it. And look:

This sounds plausible.

N1: Drop (town) and Terrabyte20xx (wolf) died. One almost certainly by the wolves, the other by an SK/Vig.

N2: CornBurrito, *Splinter and Cabot died; all town. If the wolves have a double kill ability, that accounts for the two deaths and the extra one by an SK/Vig.

And three people didn't die on N1 because Cabot would have protected someone other than the Sheriff.

Cabot blocking a kill on N1 does make sense. It also makes sense that he spent a good portion of the previous day phase criticizing the doctor to distance himself from the role.

It also seems interesting that the wolves are kind of brute-forcing their way through the game, targeting top posters. Hopefully that confidence will be their undoing.

These two were instantly jumping on the narrative, something to think about.

Now then, this is JUST a theory, but something to think about.

Top Bottom