• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

So Justice League Action is debuting on Cartoon Network on Dec. 16 with a 7:30 AM timeslot. It's DC Nation all over again.

...DC Nation. Waking up every saturday to watch Young Justice and the masterpiece that was Green Lantern: TAS. Seeing all the wild shorts too like Amethyst, Plastic Man, Grindhouse Wonder Woman, Thunder & Lightning, Batman of Shanghai. Three years later and I still miss all of it.
By why tho? This show is comedic enough to stand air with the other shows.

Penguin

So Justice League Action is debuting on Cartoon Network on Dec. 16 with a 7:30 AM timeslot. It's DC Nation all over again.

...DC Nation. Waking up every saturday to watch Young Justice and the masterpiece that was Green Lantern: TAS. Seeing all the wild shorts too like Amethyst, Plastic Man, Grindhouse Wonder Woman, Thunder & Lightning, Batman of Shanghai. Three years later and I still miss all of it.
I think you are confusing 3 different points

It premieres Dec 16th, which is a Friday at 6pm
It debuts on Sat, Dec 24th, the time slot isn't known yet
The 7:30 am time slot is for the UK premiere which is this weekend. (Doesn't mean it won't be the same time here)

Neoxon

The Christmas special for The Loud House was fantastic!
It even had a face reveal for the Loud parents.
I'm also glad that
Clyde finally got his Lori kiss, even if it was on the cheek.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think you are confusing 3 different points

It premieres Dec 16th, which is a Friday at 6pm
It debuts on Sat, Dec 24th, the time slot isn't known yet
The 7:30 am time slot is for the UK premiere which is this weekend. (Doesn't mean it won't be the same time here)

Oh thank god, I seriously hope it's not 7:30 here. That would be an outright death sentence.

Toad.T

Banned
I'm not Penguin, but I've got a question for the thread, specifically the toonsters that don't live in the US or Japan: What is your favorite show made by your country? I have quite a few choices as a Canuck, but If I had to narrow it down, it'd either be Ned's Newt (Which I think aired on Fox Kids/Family in the US?) or if we're not counting co-productions:

mFjGTmN.png

Hoze Houndz

An underrated gem of a show which combines great character dynamics (even if some of the cast is tropeish), quick slapstick and decent referential humor.

http://i.imgur.com/DY1yhO1.png

History of creator-driven animation in graph form, Simpsons to present, and the relationships between them.

Tried embedding and the preview broke everything wide open, very wide image.

Weird that it lists The Critic as a Groening show, since Jean, Reiss and Brooks were the linking producers, not Matt.

Some more readily-apparent connections are Povenmire & Marsh's progress from Simpsons to Rocko to Family Guy to P&F to Milo.

digdug2k

Reading up I realize its not "western" but I just managed to watch the intro to Thundercats again today before getting dragged out of bed. I love animation, but I'm no... expert in it. Am I delusional in thinking it looked fucking amazing? I was expecting something just awful. Maybe the actual show was (I didn't get that far).

Reading up I realize its not "western" but I just managed to watch the intro to Thundercats again today before getting dragged out of bed. I love animation, but I'm no... expert in it. Am I delusional in thinking it looked fucking amazing? I was expecting something just awful. Maybe the actual show was (I didn't get that far).

Thundercats is western. Otherwise almost no animated TV show from the 80's on is Western, and a lot of anime isn't Japanese.

You have to look at who produced the show and who the intended audience was, not who actually animated it.

Anyway, yeah, Thundercats had an amazing intro, but the show itself looked pretty bad a lot of the time. That's just how it was for 80's and 90's cartoons, and how it is for a lot of anime.

Xe4

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/DY1yhO1.png

History of creator-driven animation in graph form, Simpsons to present, and the relationships between them.

Tried embedding and the preview broke everything wide open, very wide image.

Wow. That graph is very hard to read, given the crazy number of lines in between everything. The most surprising to me is there is a lot less stuff on the graph than there is on the different channels. Noticeably, there was nothing from the DCAU (ie JL or JLU) or DC Nation (TT:GO, GL:TAS, etc) on there, so I wonder what the criteria is for making the graph?

jstripes

Banned
I'm not Penguin, but I've got a question for the thread, specifically the toonsters that don't live in the US or Japan: What is your favorite show made by your country? I have quite a few choices as a Canuck, but If I had to narrow it down, it'd either be Ned's Newt (Which I think aired on Fox Kids/Family in the US?) or if we're not counting co-productions:

As a Canadian, that's a complicated question. Does the creative team have to be Canadian, or can it just be animated by a Canadian studio?

Xe4

Banned

mFjGTmN.png

Hoze Houndz

An underrated gem of a show which combines great character dynamics (even if some of the cast is tropeish), quick slapstick and decent referential humor.
It depends on what you mean by "made". Does it have to be animated in your country, or just have the creative team be there?

If it's the latter, then Batman:TAS. If it's the former I'll have to think on it.

The Christmas special for The Loud House was fantastic!
It even had a face reveal for the Loud parents.
I'm also glad that
Clyde finally got his Lori kiss, even if it was on the cheek.

That was honestly one of the sweetest Christmas specials I've seen in years. The half hour time really helped tell a good story with all the characters involved.

Veedot

I kinda hope that they do more half-hour episodes.
Hell yeah, I just marathoned this show and my only complaint is episodes that don't really feature his sisters like when they were working at the gas station. Besides that I love this show

Neoxon

Hell yeah, I just marathoned this show and my only complaint is episodes that don't really feature his sisters like when they were working at the gas station. Besides that I love this show
At the very lest, it seems to be doing well. Just now, I saw it as one of the most popular TV shows on Comcast.

Jubenhimer

Is anyone else a bit tired of the recent Cartoon Network doom and gloom on the internet recently? Granted, I can see where the concern comes from. A big chunk of their shows are ending. Teen Titans Go! Dominates most of the schedule, and the only original series officially confirmed for 2017 is Ben 10, ANOTHER Lackluster reboot that mind you, has already premired in the UK (which honestly goes to show just how little Cartoon Network actually cares about the show).

But I wouldn't call Doomsday just yet. The real test will be next year. Rumors and hints of OK KO and Twelve Forever being greenlit have been floated around, and Infinity Train has a shot of at least becoming a digital series or mini series. We'll see what the future brings for Cartoon Network in 2017.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also Mighty Magiswords has been pretty good, not an amazing show but it has it moments and is an original property that CN is pushing to the moon.

Xe4

Banned
Is anyone else a bit tired of the recent Cartoon Network doom and gloom on the internet recently? Granted, I can see where the concern comes from. A big chunk of their shows are ending. Teen Titans Go! Dominates most of the schedule, and the only original series officially confirmed for 2017 is Ben 10, ANOTHER Lackluster reboot that mind you, has already premired in the UK (which honestly goes to show just how little Cartoon Network actually cares about the show).

But I wouldn't call Doomsday just yet. The real test will be next year. Rumors and hints of OK KO and Twelve Forever being greenlit have been floated around, and Infinity Train has a shot of at least becoming a digital series or mini series. We'll see what the future brings for Cartoon Network in 2017.
Certainly it's gonna be hard to be lower than the CN Real "era", and look at all the good shit that came out after that. I still have hope for good stuff to come out of CN. There's JLA, which is good for what it is, apperently, and as the poster above me said, Mighty Megaswords. I don't think either of those are the game changer show CN needs, as it hasn't had one since Steven Universe in '13.

I wish they would stop trading and just give us the Lakewood Turbo Plaza show we've wanted for 3 years, but we'll see. CN isn't as good as they were in some of their many peaks, but at the very least they got rid of the ownership that cancelled all those amazing shows, and actually are committed to cartoons. The problem is right now they have seemingly no intrest in action shows, and certainly don't care for 22 minute action shows with overarching plots. They can play all the TT Go/PPG/Ben 10 they want, I just want some action shows dammit.

What they really need to do is greenlight Aj's Infinite Summer and bring us the next season of the Long Live the Royals miniseries.

Now those are series that have potential.

Jubenhimer

Also Mighty Magiswords has been pretty good, not an amazing show but it has it moments and is an original property that CN is pushing to the moon.

I like Mighty Magiswords, but even I'll admit it isn't good enough to carry the whole network. They need more shows, and more importantly, they need a killer app for the new era like Adventure Time was a mere 6 years ago. I'm curious as to see what Cartoon Network will replace it's departing shows with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I like Mighty Magiswords, but even I'll admit it isn't good enough to carry the whole network. They need more shows, and more importantly, they need a killer app for the new era like Adventure Time was a mere 6 years ago. I'm curious as to see what Cartoon Network will replace it's departing shows with.

Well, nobody is saying that Mighty Magiswords be in that role alone and here is the thing Cartoon Network tends to push its original shows pretty hard and are thus ignoring the real problem Cartoon Network is facing and that is how badly they are treating external shows not named Teen Titans Go.

Jubenhimer

Well, nobody is saying that Mighty Magiswords be in that role alone and here is the thing Cartoon Network tends to push its original shows pretty hard and are thus ignoring the real problem Cartoon Network is facing and that is how badly they are treating external shows not named Teen Titans Go.

To be honest, I can't blame them. The benefit with original programming is that you own the show full stop, and thus make more money from merchandise and home video sales. Can't really do this with acquired series like Pokemon, or 2nd party co-productions like the Warner Bros. shows. The reason Teen Titans Go! Avoids this, is likely because it's cheap to produce and does better in ratings than any of the non-in-house shows on Cartoon Network. While I would like to see 2nd and 3rd party shows get better treatment by CN, it makes sense from a business perspective why that isn't the case.

Toad.T

Banned
It depends on what you mean by "made". Does it have to be animated in your country, or just have the creative team be there.

If it's the latter, then Batman:TAS. If it's the former I'll have to think on it.

As a Canadian, that's a complicated question. Does the creative team have to be Canadian, or can it just be animated by a Canadian studio?

Creative team. Also, how the FUCK did I forget Reboot?

Just a heads up! Looks like the Mickey Mouse (Paul Rudish) Christmas Special will be a full half hour!

From the DTVA Tumblr

Duck the Halls: A Mickey Mouse Christmas Special

Friday, December 09
Special Premiere
Disney Mickey Mouse “Duck the Halls: A Mickey Mouse Christmas Special”
(8:30 – 9:00 P.M. EST)
It’s touch-and-go for Donald when, instead of heading south for the winter with Daisy and all the other ducks for the winter, he insists on staying with Mickey and the gang to enjoy all that Christmas has to offer.
TV-G

tumblr_ohjd2zKwca1v79cwgo1_1280.jpg

Just a heads up! Looks like the Mickey Mouse (Paul Rudish) Christmas Special will be a full half hour!

From the DTVA Tumblr

Oh man I love the shorts so much. The amount of creativity and love they put into them are astounding. A full half hour special is a true present for the holidays.

Psxphile

LOOOOOVED IT, really liked the style very Invaders Zim.

Lol I liked it. Like Maximo said, it felt like Invader Zim but a bit more adult. There's some very detailed artwork for the facial expressions and body positioning of characters. I'd like to see more of this.

This was great. Really enjoyed it. This thread is awesome at discovering new stuff out there.

Really liked this one. I'd be down to watch a full series.

That was good.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of positive reactions to it. The creator says releasing it online was a test run to see how people respond to it... now that he's seen how much people like it he's going to put together a pitch and see where it leads.

tumblr_og1cr83GMZ1sl8kr5o1_500.jpg

Karl's tumblr

Xe4

Banned
Just saw Last Day of Freedom, an animated documentary on Netflix (think Waltz with Bashir, but shorter), about the murder trial
and execution
of Manny Babbitt as told through the eyes of his brother Bill Babbitt.

The short deals with a lot of issues we face to this day, including how we treat our veterans, PTSD and mental health issues, as well as racism in America
and the death penalty

(Spoiled to hide a minor plot point revealed early on.)

It's a fantastic, if not truly heartbreaking film, and I wholly recommend it. You can find it on Netflix.

Here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MPUHklryg&ab_channel=TrailerPuppy

TimmiT

EW’s got a peek at a daredevil promo for the series, which also features a new look at the reimagined Launchpad McQuack (Scrooge’s personal pilot and plus-one). The revival will host other classic characters from the cherished animated show (which spun off into a feature film in 1990) including butler-chauffeur Duckworth, chicken inventor Gyro Gearloose, and vampy sorceress/LGBT icon Magica De Spell.

DuckTales comes from some of the brightest animation-minded minds at Disney XD: Executive producer Matt Youngberg (Ben 10: Omniverse), story editor/co-producer Francisco Angones (Wander Over Yonder), and art director Sean Jimenez (Gravity Falls). Season 1 will consist of 21 half-hour episodes and two one-hour specials.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/07/ducktales-disney-teaser

Article also has a short teaser video, which doesn't really show much but has the classic theme tune so guess that'll be back.

Psxphile

Not live-action enough for The Disney Channel. What a travesty that network has become.

I hope Launchpad's inclusion doesn't sideline Donald's role in the new show.

Top Bottom