• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

My favorite Christmas special of all time is without a doubt A Charlie Brown Christmas.

6358503550361940872015356440_charliebrownchristmas.jpg

One of the most peaceful, thoughtful, and evocative works ever surrounding the ideas of Christmas and the holidays in general.

I'd write a longer post about it but I'm thinking of doing a 12 Days of Christmas thing where I talk about 12 separate Holiday specials and episodes leading up to Christmas day.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/07/ducktales-disney-teaser

Article also has a short teaser video, which doesn't really show much but has the classic theme tune so guess that'll be back.

Wow, full half hour episodes WITH hour long specials! WOW! I thought networks were really pushing for the 15 minute format. Fantastic news!

The revival will host other classic characters from the cherished animated show (which spun off into a feature film in 1990) including butler-chauffeur Duckworth, chicken inventor Gyro Gearloose, and vampy sorceress/LGBT icon Magica De Spell.

Uhh what? I don't think it's bad or anything, just surprised to hear. This is the first time I've heard of this.

Today is the start of my 12 Days of Christmas Specials posts. Leading to and ending on Christmas day I will be talking about several Christmas themed episodes and tv specials made throughout the years. This is my personal list on cartoons and animation that have a special place in my heart from seeing them. So without further ado I bring you the one, the only…
Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

This was the series premiere of the Simpsons, not originally planned first episode but the one that aired first. Now let me start by saying that by just watching this episode might not make you convinced that this show would end up being the cultural phenomenon that it is today. However, it will show you that the creators of this show were doing something very different.

We begin with seeing the Simpson family late for a Christmas pageant that Bart and Lisa Simpson will be performing in.

“Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin layed an egg. The batmobile lost a wheel and the Joker got away!”

After sitting through the kids’ performances and being trapped into watching the rest of Christmas pageants events, Homer grows bored.

The rest of the episode is just as if not even more atypical from your normal Christmas special fare. Marge writes in a letter about the Simpsons past year, from them getting a new cat after that last one was run over to Maggie learning to walk on her own. Homer in his love of Christmas decorates the house with lights and proudly asks Marge to turn them on.

Of course, Flanders, their neighbor, is also setting up lights.

Marge goes shopping with the kids at the mall only to end up spending all the Christmas shopping money on removing a tattoo Bart attempted to get.
Meanwhile Homer attends work with the usual attentiveness and attitude viewers will grow to know over the years.

Mr. Burns ends up cutting the Christmas bonuses for the year, leaving Homer without the money for gifts Marge was depending on.

Homer comes back home thinking Marge’s money will cover them. Yet upon learning of the money being gone, Homer lies about losing his bonus to his family, not wanting to look badly as the breadwinner for his family.

Homer tries shopping for inexpensive gifts at a store. However, upon running into Flanders he becomes frustrated at his lack of quality presents.

Not wanting to disappoint his family, Homer ends up taking a job as the mall’s Santa as suggested by Barney.

“Um…Dasher…Dancer…Prancer…Nixon…Comet…Cupid…Donna Dixon?”

Back home, Marge’s sisters Patty and Selma have arrived, much to the dismay of the kids and Homer.

The sisters question the Simpsons celebrating with no tree. This leads Homer to go off into the night in a fury. Chopping down a privately owned tree and running back home with it before the owner can shoot him down.

Bart ends up discovering Homer’s moonlighting. However, Bart is appreciative of what Homer is doing.

“You must really love us to sink so low.”

Unfortunately, due to various expenses, Homer receives only a measly thirteen-dollar check. Barney tells Homer of a dog run that is going down tonight on Christmas Eve and Bart convinces Homer that the odds are in their favor.

“Aw, come on, Dad. This could be the miracle that saves the Simpsons’ Christmas. If TV has taught me anything, it’s that miracles always happen to poor kids at Christmas. It happened to Tiny Tim, it happened to Charlie Brown, it happened to the Smurfs, and it’s going to happen to us!”

Upon hearing about a late minute entry by the name of Santa’s Little Helper, Homer bets all his money on the new dog, despite the reluctance of his son.

Back home, Marge’s sisters continue to whine about Homer until Lisa speaks up.

Lisa: “What Aunt Patty?”
Patty: “Oh nothing, dear. I’m just trashing your father.”

“Well, I wish that you wouldn’t. Because, aside from the fact that he has the same frailties as all human beings, he’s the only father I have. Therefore, he is my model of manhood, and my estimation of him will govern the prospects of my adult relationships. So I hope you bear in mind that any knock at him is a knock at me. And I am far too young to defend myself against such onslaughts.”

Yet for all the good that happens on Christmas, Homer just can’t catch a break. Santa’s Little Helper comes in last, and Homer loses all the money he earned.

“It doesn’t seem possible, but I guess TV has betrayed me.”

While Homer and Bart scramble to find any dropped winner tickets in the parking lot, watching Barney go off with his wins, an unexpected visitor drops into Homer’s arms. Santa’s Little Helper, who was chased away by his owner for losing ends up in Homer’s hands. Bart begs Homer to let them keep the dog.

“But he’s a loser! He’s pathetic! He’s….”

“… a Simpson”

Homer comes back home and confesses to not receiving his bonus and working another job to make it up. Bart shows off the new dog to the family who lovingly embrace him and thank Homer for what he brought home.

The family than sings Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer ending the night on a warm note.

Is the first episode of Simpsons, a perfect one? No, I wouldn’t say that. Is it the peak of the show? Not at all. In fact, they manage to easily surpass the pilot just a few episodes later. This episode is more grounded, more restrained its ridiculousness than future ones would be. The voices of some characters are different from how they end up being remembered and the pacing feels more experimental than practiced, as is expected.

Yet does this episode capture the essence of the Simpsons and Christmas in less than a half hour? Yes, yes it does. You fall in love with this family by the time the credits roll. The fact that no lavish miracle besides a loser dog comes to the Simpsons, despite all Holiday spirit surrounding them, is groundbreaking. The fact that the creators boldly let kids talk to adults in such a informal manner in the show and combined adult themes with a family message is astonishing. What’s more, is how all of this comes together and just works. That, everyone, is what makes the first episode of Simpsons special, a Christmas special.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Frosty the Snowman is a cartoon special from 1969. It tells the tale of Frosty, who was brought to life by the power of a magic hat from an evil magician, Professor Hinkle. Realizing who would melt soon if he stayed in the city, a helpful little girl named Karen takes Frosty on a journey to the North Pole, all while Professor Hinkle chases them to get back his hat.

The story is simple, the characters are 2D, but the tale has a heart that can't be ignored. It's about the innocence of a child wanting to do something good with no ulterior motive. It's about helping a friend. It's purest Christmas story around and it's easy to see why it is such a classic.

Yeah, Wander Over Yonder is pretty great (although not as good as PPG or Fosters, IMO). Craig McCracken GOAT. The theme song is super catchy too.

I've only seen the first episode but I enjoyed what I saw from it. I loved the stretchy nature of the animation.

Surprised its not talked about more only recently got into Wander Over Yonder and its pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzEUkpb13mA One of the songs voiced by Weird Al the animation and song itself is high up there.

Wander Over Yonder is under rated as hell. I think some might be turned off by some of the episodes where it's just Sylvia putting up with Wander, but that show is just toybox of fun ideas and adventures.

Danny hates Christmas
He hates it a lot.
Why is why I've inserted the boy in this plot.

"The Fright Before Christmas" is the Season 2 Episode 10 of the Nickelodeon cartoon Danny Phantom. The show is about Danny Fenton who was given ghost powers after an accident in his parent's lab. He uses the powers to fight ghostly crime that enters his world.

In this particular episode, Danny becomes the unfortunate victim of a particularly powerful foe by the name of the Ghost Writer. Using his powers, he traps Danny into becoming part of the tale he is typing out. Nearly the whole episode is done is told in rhymes as the Ghost Writer uses the various characters of the show along with some of his own creations to teach Danny a lesson about Christmas. Whether Danny is willing to hear it or not, well, that not of his concern.

The episode is wacky, weird, and strange. Yet it somehow fits nicely in the show itself. The rhyming is fun, the action ridiculous and entertaining, and it's all topped together with a nice Christmas message to go along.

Young Danny thought quickly
and picked up an orange
He threw it at Walker who...

Aw crud, nothing rhymes with orange!

In the spirit of Holidays, I thought it was best to celebrate by bringing up one of the various animated films made from Christmas songs. Today, I thought I'd remind everyone of a true animated classic.

Grandam Got Run Over By A Reindeer...

There's uh, not much to say about this film. It's completely self-explanatory. Honestly, it is probably the most ridiculous premise a Christmas movie has had, which is saying something.

Since I don't have a lot to tell you, I think it's best to just show you some images from the film.

Xe4

Banned
In the spirit of Holidays, I thought it was best to celebrate by bringing up one of the various animated films made from Christmas songs. Today, I thought I'd remind everyone of a true animated classic.

Grandam Got Run Over By A Reindeer...

There's uh, not much to say about this film. It's completely self-explanatory. Honestly, it is probably the most ridiculous premise a Christmas movie has had, which is saying something.

Since I don't have a lot to tell you, I think it's best to just show you some images from the film.
I remember this playing all the time on TV. I was never a fan of it, and I thought there was much better animated for TV Christmas specials.

I remember this playing all the time on TV. I was never a fan of it, and I thought there was much better animated for TV Christmas specials.

It's pretty awful. Actually, it's much worse than I thought it would be the first time I watched it. Yet it's definitely memorable in its terribleness.

petran79

Banned
Watched on TV the 2010 movie Space Dogs.

An odd case. A CGI movie produced by Russian animators, yet it was also made with export in mind. Yet it has so many references to 60s Russian culture and childhood icons that I failed to grasp. There were even scenes from a live action movie.

I'd have preferred to watch it in Russian with subs. The dub removes the sensibilities and humor of the Russian language, something that would have made the animation even more effective.

I liked it they didnt go over the top with funny grimaces, as usually seen in such features. Despite the low animation budget, one can see it was made by experienced animators.

I also liked the end credits where they showed reel footage from animals that were sent to space and newspaper headlines too.

Nudull

Banned
So, I've finally gotten around to watching Tron Uprising on Hulu. It doesn't entirely fill the hole that would've been Tron 3 (Disney pls :c), but for what it is, I dig it a lot. Disney has been improving a lot on the TV front, and I'm glad to see that with Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star vs. the Forces of Evil and the upcoming Ducktales reboot.

If only Tron and Motorcity had the fortune to truly last as long as those shows. :(

It's the 5th day of Christmas specials and I wanted to talk about one masterfully done TV cartoon special from the beloved show, "Hey Arnold!".

Arnold's Christmas is the first half hour special in "Hey Arnold!". For an uncommon show like this, it would make sense that this episode would be so distinctly different from the norm.

It's Christmas in Hillwood and Arnold's boarding house is holding their annual Secret Santa. Arnold ends up with Mr. Hyunh, the only boarder in the house who always seems sad this time of year.

Arnold learns from Mr. Hyunh that many years ago around this same time he was forced to separate with his daughter in his home country, never seeing her since. His whole reason for coming to Hillwood was to find her someday.

Being the saint that he is, Arnold set out with a mission to find Mr. Hyunh's daughter, Mai, and reunite the family again.

This leads him and Gerald to Mr. Bailey, a worker at the Government records office. He initially refuses to help the kids look for the daughter but Arnold ends up making a deal with him. Mr. Bailey promises to look up Mai's information as long as Arnold and Gerald do all of his Christmas shopping for him.

Meanwhile, Helga, secret admirer of Arnold, has been searching endlessly for the ultimate Christmas present for him. Already expecting her parents to give her the gift she's hinting about for weeks, she herself is convinced that the most lavish present will win the heart of her beloved as it would her.

After going through the list all that's left to find is a pair of trending snow boots. Arnold and Gerald end up going on a wild goose chase all throughout town looking for the shoes yet to no avail. In the end, they end up going back to Mr. Bailey who refuses to search for Mai's information due to the other end of the bargain not being held up.

Helga ends up eavesdropping on a conversation between Arnold and Gerald. She overhears Arnold's lament over not being able to give a meaningful gift to Mr. Hyunh, the kind that evokes the true essence of Christmas.

Helga ends up going back home on Christmas Eve night. To her astonishment, her parents actually did give her the very gift she wanted: the very pair on Nancy Spumoni boots Mr. Bailey had asked for.

Facing a moral dilemma over being satisfied with the gift for her or giving it up for the sake of another and Arnold, Helga chooses the latter option. Going back to Mr. Bailey she gives him the boots. Mr. Bailey is adamant in getting back home however to which Helga pleads with him saying that if he misses out on this chance to do good, a young football-headed kid would never believe in miracles again.

That next morning, everyone in Arnold's apartment is celebrating Christmas with their gifts, except for Mr. Hyunh who got nothing. That all changes however, when a young woman steps through the door.

Mr. Hyunh is finally reunited with Mai. Arnold doesn't understand how this could have possibly happened yet Gerald dismisses it, saying it was a miracle.

Outside, Helga wishes Arnold a Merry Christmas.

This isn't just a good cartoon Christmas special. This is one of the best cartoon episodes I've ever seen. There's a maturity in the plot that one just would not expect for some Holiday episode. There's a lot that isn't said in this episode that makes it unique from the crowd. The lack of an appearance from Santa for one. The fact that Mr. Hyunh was from Vietnam is something you probably wouldn't get if you were a kid yet, watching it when you're older would only make the episode hit harder.

To put it bluntly, this episode of "Hey Arnold!" has a complexity you can not find in most Christmas related shows period, and it would be a mistake not to take the time to watch it someday this Holiday season.

Xe4

Banned
Watched on TV the 2010 movie Space Dogs.

An odd case. A CGI movie produced by Russian animators, yet it was also made with export in mind. Yet it has so many references to 60s Russian culture and childhood icons that I failed to grasp. There were even scenes from a live action movie.

I'd have preferred to watch it in Russian with subs. The dub removes the sensibilities and humor of the Russian language, something that would have made the animation even more effective.

I liked it they didnt go over the top with funny grimaces, as usually seen in such features. Despite the low animation budget, one can see it was made by experienced animators.

I also liked the end credits where they showed reel footage from animals that were sent to space and newspaper headlines too.
I'm actually surprised it even had a dub, to be honest. I've seen a lot of Russian/Eastern European animation, and it has almost always been subbed, usually fansubbed. I haven't seen too much post USSR animation, and it's almost nearly all been shorts. The one exception is Prince Vladimir, which was pretty great, and absolutely my favorite post USSR Russian animated film (full length).

If you want Russian animation, I'd highly recommend http://niffiwan.livejournal.com/
It's way out of date, and the site is a mess to navigate, but he knows a lot about Russian animation, and there's so many hidden gems in there.

Already posted this in the Season 2 OT, but figured I'd post it here too now that this thread exists:

Rick and Morty Season 3 Episode 6 animatic clip
I absolutely cannot wait for season 3.

Amazing how R&M get you on the edge of being too much cringe and then pull it back. I love shows like that, cause while I'm not a fan of too much cringe, getting just the amount so there's relief when it stops is great.

That episode was one of the few times I've seen Rick loose his cool.

For the 5th day of Christmas specials, and I wanted to talk about one masterfully done TV cartoon special from the beloved show, "Hey Arnold!".

I really need to get around to watching the entirety of Hey Arnold. I've only seen episodes in random order, but from what I've seen, it's a really good show.

Twas the night before Christmas,
when all thro' the house.
Not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse

Well, maybe not.

The Night Before Christmas is the first Tom and Jerry Christmas special, produced in 1941. It would be the last pre-war Tom and Jerry short ever made.

The beginning plot of the episode isn't anything special. Jerry comes out of his home and causes a little mischief around the Christmas tree. He ends up waking up Tom who procedes to chase Jerry around in true cat and mouse fashion.

Jerry ends up running out of the house and Tom seals the entryway. However, Tom feels guilt over leaving the little mouse in the winter cold and, in a rare case of charity, saves Jerry from the cold by bringing him into the house. Tom gives Jerry a candy cane out of the kindness of his heart and Jerry removes the trap he left for Tom in his milk.

It's a simple, short cartoon with a simple and short message about goodwill towards all. While it lacks some of the usual craziness one may expect from a Tom and Jerry short it does contain some beautifully hand-painted backgrounds that are generally absent in today's cartoons. The details in them give off a warm and cozy feeling befitting of the Holiday times.

Jubenhimer

Two things, first, has anyone seen the new Nickelodeon Original Animated Movie Albert? It aired about a week or two ago and I have yet to see it myself.

Second, Cartoon Network recently has stealth premired a new mini-series on it's digital platforms called Get Em Tommy. The show is created by Victor Courtright and can be found on Cartoon Network's App and YouTube channel. The premise, stick with me here, is about a naivé pink-haired boy named Tommy, who uses different fighting moves by jamming VHS tapes into his head. If this sounds completely stupid, well... it is, but it's actually a charming kind of stupid. No, the show isn't "funny" per-se, rather it's got a distinctive charm that makes it quite amusing. As a web-series, I think it's okay. However, if this does get the Mighty Magiswords/O.K. K.O. Treatment, I feel it would need some heavy retooling. It just doesn't feel like anything that belongs on mainsteam Television, and it's even more apparent here than in Mighty Magiswords. Magiswords can work as a TV series, it just needs more even pacing, whereas this would need a near complete overhaul to make it more presentable. Still, it's worth a look if you're tired of Cartoon Network's recent barrage of lame reboots. It's still better than Teen Titans Go! But at this point... What isn't?

https://youtu.be/d4Gtwye1bs4

Hey Arnold was really good at portraying how Vietnam affected Adults. I think numerous episodes did a similar thing to that Christmas special.

Rugrats too if I recall.

Hey Arnold and had a really good Christmas special. I'm surprised they only made one. But then again most cartoons only do one special and just replay it for years

zulux21

speaking of christmas specials... I don't know if anyone here will care but the Miraculous Ladybug christmas special just went live on USA netflix (you have to actively go into the kids section to find it as a general search won't do it)

trailer

Not intending to steal the thunder from TheGreatDirector's awesome Christmas Special countdown, but I came across something really neat that I don't think deserves its own thread nor belongs in the deader than dead Wander Over Yonder OT.

WoY Artist Ben Balistreri worked with Frank Agones (who is also one of the big guys working on the new DuckTales) worked on a pitch for a little Star Wars crossover they knew would never happen, and here it is in comic form

The rest is here

Going back to Christmas, I think there's two cartoon episodes that are among my favorites that are worth mentioning

Phineas and Ferb: Christmas Vacation - There's nothing super extraordinary about this episode. It's okay as both a Christmas Special and a Phineas and Ferb episode. I think it's just great that it pokes fun at various tropes regarding Christmas specials (like Doofenshmirtz not hating Christmas even though that's generally the thing villains do). Music is nice. And something HAS to be said at the depiction of Santa in this:
Being omniscient, Santa perfectly plans out everything so that everyone gets their Christmas wishes fufilled, even the somewhat absurd ones like Doof's
. I don't want to ruin the surprise for people who haven't seen it.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: A Hearthswarming Tale - Aired for the first time this year actually. Christmas Carol adaptations and parodies seem like a dime a dozen, even in cartoons, but I feel like this MLP version really stands out. Aside from tweaking it to fit the MLP mythos and give the story a fresh spin, they manage to fit the whole story in under 30 minutes with some great songs to boot!

It's a new day which brings a new special. I thought I'd shake things up a bit with something that's pretty different from the rest of the crowd.

Of course I'm talking about Invader Zim's The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever.

Never, in the history of Earth, will you find a more disturbing and sickening cartoon then Invader Zim and it is fitting that it's Christmas special would up the ante. Funny enough this also happens to be the last episode the studio created before the plugged was pulled on the series due to complaints from religious communities. Ironically, there really isn't a better note to end it all on then this.

The episode starts off in the far, distant future, two million years away on Earth. A robotic snowman by the name of Mr. Sludge begins recounting the tale of the most horrible Christmas ever.

The story then shifts back to the present. Zim, our alien protagonist, is trying solicit money on the streets to appear "more human". Unfortunately for him all the money is being taken by Santa donation helpers.

DywzqJV.png

Tuna? Tuna is worth nothing!

Zim and Ger end up going to a mall and kidnapping a Santa for further interrogation. He also introduced Mini Moose who Zim swears has been present before this episode.

There they learn that all the people dressed up are just Santa's helpers and that the real Santa is away and everyone is awaiting his return on Christmas. This leads Zim to devise a master plan using Santa against the humans.

In the end Zim creates a learning Santa suit and masquerades as the jolly old man. He fools the whole populace of the Earth, with one woman's heart exploding with joy and the president literally giving Zim all of his power. Dib, Gaz, and Professor Membrane, who has a personal vendetta against Santa, remain unaffected and Dib, seeing through Zim's costume, vows to thwart him.

I'd talk about the rest of the episode but it's really just worth watching yourself. It involves a Hitler-like rally towards Santa complete with its own song and a mecha battle involving a horrifying Christmas creation. It's vivid, devious, and downright dark yet it's one of the most remarkable Christmas episodes ever conceived. It is without a doubt the perfect cap to a such a twisted series.

I'd also like to throw out a special mention to another dark Christmas cartoon special.

This is another warped Christmas tale that is not worth spoiling. From freaky imagery to the fairly surprising twist, it remains one of my favorite episodes from the show and a Christmas story to remember.

zulux21

so I don't even know if anyone cares about miraculous ladybug in here.

but it was also announced netflix got the streaming rights for seasons 1-3 in the usa

S1 will premiere on Feb 14th 2017 and S2 is expected June.

it will be interesting to see if nick still airs episodes.

and if netflix will upload all of season 2 at once in english given that from the sounds of it last I checked it will start releasing new eps in french in may meaning that if netflix uploaded all of them it would instantly put english like 20 eps in front of french.

Psxphile

so I don't even know if anyone cares about miraculous ladybug in here.

but it was also announced netflix got the streaming rights for seasons 1-3

S1 will premiere on Feb 14th 2017 and S2 is expected June.

it will be interesting to see if nick still airs episodes.

and if netflix will upload all of season 2 at once in english given that from the sounds of it last I checked it will start releasing new eps in french in may meaning that if netflix uploaded all of them it would instantly put english like 20 eps in front of french.

Hm, might start watching now. Do we know if they'll go up in the correct order? I remember early on back when the Korean and French dubs were just starting that certain episodes were being shown out-of-order. And of course Nick airs the english dub during times when I can never catch it so having them all available in one place, in plot order, would be nice.

zulux21

Hm, might start watching now. Do we know if they'll go up in the correct order? I remember early on back when the Korean and French dubs were just starting that certain episodes were being shown out-of-order. And of course Nick airs the english dub during times when I can never catch it so having them all available in one place, in plot order, would be nice.

not much is known right now, we will have to check back in feb. ideally they will be in chronological order, but i also wouldn't be surprised if they were in what ever order they aired on nick.

for some reason shows like to stick with tv airing order even if the tv airing order clearly got screwed up *sighs at scrubs*

in other thoughts, it's always fun showing people steven universe eps 25-26 for the first time as that is the point where most people fully realize that it isn't just a run of the mill kids show.

Xe4

Banned
IMO Invader Zim's Christmas special was one of the best specials ever, and definitely a top 10 in the show itself. There's really nothing like mecha Santa to get you in the mood.

Shiiiiet I missed a day. Sorry about that.

In a way this works out though, because I can talk about to specials that go hand in hand.

The old Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol is a classic tale that many know. It isn't surprising then that there would be several adaptions of this story for film. These two adaptations however, standout above the crowd of animated re-tellings and end up becoming special on their own.

The 1971 adaptation, produced by Chuck Jones, is arguably the most accurate adaptation to the source material. As we all know the cartoon tells the story of Ebeeezer Scrooge, voiced by Alastair Sim, who is visited by three ghosts to change his way of life and view of Christmas.

The main difference you'll find in this film compared to the others is the portrayal of the ghosts. Not only do they seem to come straight from the pages of Dickens' original story, they also are generally terrifying and otherworldly in presence.

Every specter is fully realized from the chained ghost of Scrooges old business partner Marley...

...to the Ghost of Christmas past. The animation mixes dark visuals with haunting effects to create an unnatural moving picture reminscent of the illustrations by John Leech from the 1800's and the inkings by Milo Winter in the 1930's. It leads to some powerful imagery that really makes you believe Scrooge could be shaken out of his behavior if scared by these ghosts. It's no wonder this won Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1972.

MIckey's Christmas Carol would release in 1983, a little past a decade later from the Chuck Jones production. It of course took Disney's staple characters and attached them to a re-telling of the narrative with Scrooge McDuck, as voiced by Alan Young, as the Scrooge himself.

As one can expect, the film has an incredible amount of heart, no doubt added to by the beloved cast of characters we know starring and and having cameos in this old story. Alan Young is a perfect Scrooge and holds the story strong with his performance. Though the story is noticeably lighter in tone than the original tale, it works as intended to tell a classic holiday message to all.

This Academy Award nominated short is worth visiting alone for a Disney twist on a beloved story.

Evilisk

This is another warped Christmas tale that is not worth spoiling. From freaky imagery to the fairly surprising twist, it remains one of my favorite episodes from the show and a Christmas story to remember.

It's cool to see someone else mention this

I watched this recently again, and it's still damn good. I am still unsure how or why they decided on Gilbert Gottfried as the voice of Santa Claus for this special, but they did good

Ogodei

Winner of "most terrifying Christmas Cartoon" probably goes to Peace on Earth (both the Ising 1939 original and the Hannah-Barbera remake during the 50s).

Few Christmas specials tackle the heartwarming prospect of the extinction of humanity.

Random thought about the end of Frozen: if Wesselton is the Britain analogue, the kind of diplomatic indignities the Duke suffered are the kind of things the British flattened countries for in the 19th century (see: the kickoff of the First Opium War), then Arendelle didn't last long after the credits rolled.

Though watching Elsa fight the Wesselton Navy would be a worthy plot for Frozen 2.

Xe4

Banned
Winner of "most terrifying Christmas Cartoon" probably goes to Peace on Earth (both the Ising 1939 original and the Hannah-Barbera remake during the 50s).

Few Christmas specials tackle the heartwarming prospect of the extinction of humanity.

Random thought about the end of Frozen: if Wesselton is the Britain analogue, the kind of diplomatic indignities the Duke suffered are the kind of things the British flattened countries for in the 19th century (see: the kickoff of the First Opium War), then Arendelle didn't last long after the credits rolled.

Though watching Elsa fight the Wesselton Navy would be a worthy plot for Frozen 2.
Oh shit, I remember Peace on Earth. That shit took a dark turn real quick, and is definetly one of my favorite Christmas shorts. It holds an incredibly important message that is both pertinent to the WWII world and today.

https://youtu.be/HfH3MXYF5Xo

giphy.gif

I have a soft spot for the 2009 Zemekis/Carrey Christmas Carol. Sure uncanny valley and herky jerk animation are all over it, but I think it really nails some of the emotional scenes.

Top Bottom