• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

Nudull

Banned
how about an original teen titans marathon ending with the announcement of the teen titans GO! movie :p

Nah...worse.

OutOfJimmysHead.jpg

Alastor3

Im pretty far behind on western animation, the last I watch was The Last Airbender. oh and my little pony. Now I just started Gravity Falls because it's already finished and it's pretty good.

Xe4

Banned
Jeebsus their schedule makes me so very sad

They literally only air like 4 shows the entire week.

Yep, it's pretty bad. I wonder why they don't play any older shows. They have tons, and it would really help add some variety.

StoneFox

Yep, it's pretty bad. I wonder why they don't play any older shows. They have tons, and it would really help add some variety.
There can be several reasons. One is that showing a standard definition show on an HD TV is kinda awkward (depending on the age of the show, of course).

Two, the show may have been labelled as a "loss" to the corporation, which typically means that it isn't going back on the air ever. (I believe this happened to Megas XLR).

Three, they may just simply believe that the current network audience won't be into it, and if nobody watches something, there is no merchandise to sell and no ratings to keep it going. There is a drought of action shows right now, and I'm not sure if the networks are interested in bringing them back--but hopefully Samurai Jack's success will change some minds.

I'm not an industry expert. But if you keep filling the timeslots with reruns there's no room for newer stuff to enter the scene either. :p

Korgill

I forgot about April Fool's coming up. Hopefully Adult Swim does something cool too.

Air one episode of a show people have asked them to show for years, announce it's an all night marathon of it, then just play the first episode again and again.

Ogodei

There can be several reasons. One is that showing a standard definition show on an HD TV is kinda awkward (depending on the age of the show, of course).

Two, the show may have been labelled as a "loss" to the corporation, which typically means that it isn't going back on the air ever. (I believe this happened to Megas XLR).

Three, they may just simply believe that the current network audience won't be into it, and if nobody watches something, there is no merchandise to sell and no ratings to keep it going. There is a drought of action shows right now, and I'm not sure if the networks are interested in bringing them back--but hopefully Samurai Jack's success will change some minds.

I'm not an industry expert. But if you keep filling the timeslots with reruns there's no room for newer stuff to enter the scene either. :p

Megas was a special case in the writeoff department. There are probably other writeoff shows, but Megas got two full seasons and was pretty popular when it aired, they might have trashed some of the shows that were dead on arrival like Problem Solverz, Robotomy, or Secret Mountain Fort Awesome. However they have plenty of stuff that only recently ended like Regular Show, or stuff that's still airing like Clarence, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Powerpuff Girls. Instead they literally just air Teen Titans Go and Gumball all day, every day.

Cross-quoting this from another thread.
Link.
Cartoon Network, the global kids brand and leading choice for the mobile-first generation of plurals, announced a holistic slate of content for the 2017-18 upfront season that will provide something new to fans every day, across a wide spectrum of platforms.

As Turner's youngest and one of the portfolio's most immersive brands, Cartoon will deliver even greater content experiences that drive engagement across all screens and connects to the way their fans are consuming. Today, Cartoon announced a new slate of content including six new series and seven returning hits, as well as more than 20 original mobile and console games.

Long acknowledged for being in the forefront of bringing together premium content, fan experiences and technology, Cartoon's success extends beyond television screens into the digital and mobile space with a growing and diverse multiplatform portfolio.

o Cartoon is the #1 VOD choice across all of television.
o Cartoon has five of the top 10 animated series for Kids.
o Cartoon has amassed a robust digital and mobile portfolio of 44 apps, approaching nearly 150 million worldwide downloads.
o A roster of more than 400 free-to-play online games with the Game Creator franchise, generating more than 2 billion global game plays life to date.
o Cartoon's Emmy winning flagship app will get an expansion to Chromecast later this year and at least nine more games being added to its slate, plus two integrated game consoles.

”As kids' viewing habits have evolved, Cartoon Network has always been there with them," said Christina Miller, President Cartoon Network-Adult Swim-Boomerang. ”From their first experience with a Kids network website and video app; to their first series VR game; and most recently, their first app to use ACR, we are keeping our sole focus on them as they inspire us to reimagine television."

”Cartoon Network has cracked the code on how a leading media brand can engage with fans through true total consumption," said Donna Speciale, President of Turner Ad Sales. ”Whether it's VOD or gaming, or everything in between, plurals are connecting with this brand globally in ways most media brands haven't yet experienced. That presents an incredibly powerful opportunity for our advertising partners this Upfront."

List of new and returning series at the link. Give Teen Titans GO one more season if old.

It took OK KO what felt like an eternity to become a full-fledged series, so there's still hope. Maybe Cartoon Network will have some sort of streaming service or online-exclusive series initiative in the future, and shows with online buzz like Infinity Train will be a part of it. Or maybe it becomes a well-produced miniseries like Over the Garden Wall.

But that would require CN to know what they're doing.

Source

CN schedule for the week was updated with April Fool's filled in plus other miscellaneous changes.

Was really hoping for an all-day Swat Kats marathon but what are you gonna do?

So is the April Fool's joke "Remember when we actually had a relative variety of shows airing on one day? Let's do that for just today! HILARIOUS RIGHT?"

Psxphile

I think they realized they could never top 2012's Toonami "prank" and said fuck it, just throw whatever we got on there.

That, or maybe it'll be 14 hours of "This show's episode but every time someone says _____ it goes faster".

EDIT: Looks like Clarence has officially ended production. They still have some new episodes left to air but, yeah they done.

StoneFox

April Fools Day's schedule should be the everyday schedule, c'mon CN.

TTG at this point is popular with the kids through sheer force of having nothing else to watch. :p

Xe4

Banned

Well, as far as I know, only Megas and SBT (why the mech shows, CN, whyyyy????) got written off. As for HD, maybe, but stuff like OG PPG, Samurai Jack, Dexters Lab, etc. still look great, and that's ignoring newer stuff like Regular Show, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Over the Garden Wall, etc. Stuff like Justice League Action is totally ignored.

CN puts out good shit, but boy does their schedule blow. I like Gumball, but not enough to watch it half the day, and TT Go just annoys me and makes me want the original back. CN's schdule is not something I could watch for more than an hour, and that's a shame. I'm not the intended audience though, and neither is anyone above the age of 10.

April Fools Day's schedule should be the everyday schedule, c'mon CN.

TTG at this point is popular with the kids through sheer force of having nothing else to watch. :p
You're not wrong.

zulux21

Feel like this was announced ages ago, though I might've confused it with the Oni Press comic launching.

at the very least there is now a teaser trailer in the link and confirmation the original creator is on board.
I think it was just heavily hinted at before this though.

In more movie news, a Loud House movie is being developed.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/spongebob-loud-house-sherlock-gnomes-1202054433/

In addition, a new untitled Nick-Paramount property will debut on March 22, 2019, along with the SpongeBob sequel on August 2 (the studio’s third SpongeBob SquarePants feature). In addition, Paramount is making a movie based on the popular Nick series The Loud House for February 7, 2020, as well as another untitled Nick feature toon for release on July 31, 2020.

zulux21

Is The Loud House big enough that developing a movie for three years from now makes sense?

loud house has a pretty nice following at this point.

that being said the second season has already had a large dip in quality compared to the first (in terms of writing).

I mean to their credit they are trying to flesh out characters a bit more... but it feels like they are being fleshed out by someone who doesn't work on the series or have any idea what the characters have been about to this point. Especially when it comes to Lisa... boy have they been going in a horrible direction with her.

Village

I heard a convincing argument against Adventure Time and why its actually bad and its a show that evolved into being bad.

I can't argue against it.

I love that, I love looking back and being able to analyze a cartoon and realize it was actually good or bad much much later

Village

So what was the argument

Talking with a friend who is graduating with me this year from an Art college who is an animation major. We got to talking about modern cartoons, She is a fan of Steven Universe because everyone is, and I have a deep love of The amazing world of Gumball because its been the best thing on Cartoon network since it came on because that show is amazing.

Eventually the conversation got to Adventure time. I say that I like adventure time, She said She "Liked adventure time" I ask, why the past tense and she basically explains

" its a show that tricked us into thing that it was going to be good, but it was actually bad"

To which my response was " Get out" remdning me I can remove her from Discord because I don't have that power. I then ask her " why "

She said that adventure time, shows that while the journey is important if that Journey doesn't lead to a semblance of any sort of destination, you have essentially wasted money on gas. Adventure time suffers through out the whole series of a show not understanding what it wants to be, and introducing a lot of plot and world dynamics fairly well and interestingly but never actually goes anywhere with them , to which at some point you need to actually question why these things existed in the plot in the first place.

She goes on to say that she finds the episodes in other sections in time, or whole about other characters for the most part more interesting because a lot of them, because they don't have the luxury of just goofing around like the more important characters in the show do, tell stories that go to a place, and finish a story or kind of finish a story and then you think about the story and its kind of done.

She continues, she suggests that outside of these instances a lot of the conclusions to the plots that actually happen are kind of " we need to end this because we the writing staff realize this has dragged on and is actually going nowhere" with no attempt to hide it , instead of feeling like the cohesive narrative driven world they tried o make, they feel like bandainds put on after the fact. This is even before Pen ward got out.

She then goes onto say " Adventure time is one of my favorite shows ever" , confused I then say " That sounds like you don't like it " she continues, adventure time is a show I enjoyed in the moment and in that moment I enjoy that show. However technically its just kind of bad , a lot of the jokes actually aren't that funny , the catchphrase grows dull after a while, and you kind wish at some point they would have made a show about... every other character in the show, and the world because its wildly more interesting. But I grew up with it in its time, and I appreciate it for what it is, and how it helped lead to more shows doing more, plot ish things for its plots with a comedic and sillier basis with having to establish itself as a serious show. These shows kind of went away for a while, she elements this, along with actual action shows and to see that sort of thing at the time it hit holds a special place in her heart.

However when she looks at the show from a technical stand point, its very pretty, very badly paced and written show .

I couldn't really argue that, it reminds me of my relation ship with the reboot of the archie sonic comic of all things. Because I like it, but its actually kind of really bad, my love for the material is actually carrying through what is when I walk outside of my personal enjoyment , its flawed . And I found myself unable to argue her points about it, I never really went back to analyze Adventure time, but this prompted me to, a lot of things with interesting start ups that lead to uninteresting dead ends.

Then again she likes Clarence so, why should I listen to her anyway.

Xe4

Banned
Is it wrong that i STILL give this pitch the stink eye over being a rehash of an AT episode premise?
Adventure Time is far from the first to come up with the "mystical train" premise, and it won't be the last. It's well made, why not just appriciate it for that?

Ogodei

Talking with a friend who is graduating with me this year from an Art college who is an animation major. We got to talking about modern cartoons, She is a fan of Steven Universe because everyone is, and I have a deep love of The amazing world of Gumball because its been the best thing on Cartoon network since it came on because that show is amazing.

Eventually the conversation got to Adventure time. I say that I like adventure time, She said She "Liked adventure time" I ask, why the past tense and she basically explains

" its a show that tricked us into thing that it was going to be good, but it was actually bad"

To which my response was " Get out" remdning me I can remove her from Discord because I don't have that power. I then ask her " why "

She said that adventure time, shows that while the journey is important if that Journey doesn't lead to a semblance of any sort of destination, you have essentially wasted money on gas. Adventure time suffers through out the whole series of a show not understanding what it wants to be, and introducing a lot of plot and world dynamics fairly well and interestingly but never actually goes anywhere with them , to which at some point you need to actually question why these things existed in the plot in the first place.

She goes on to say that she finds the episodes in other sections in time, or whole about other characters for the most part more interesting because a lot of them, because they don't have the luxury of just goofing around like the more important characters in the show do, tell stories that go to a place, and finish a story or kind of finish a story and then you think about the story and its kind of done.

She continues, she suggests that outside of these instances a lot of the conclusions to the plots that actually happen are kind of " we need to end this because we the writing staff realize this has dragged on and is actually going nowhere" with no attempt to hide it , instead of feeling like the cohesive narrative driven world they tried o make, they feel like bandainds put on after the fact. This is even before Pen ward got out.

She then goes onto say " Adventure time is one of my favorite shows ever" , confused I then say " That sounds like you don't like it " she continues, adventure time is a show I enjoyed in the moment and in that moment I enjoy that show. However technically its just kind of bad , a lot of the jokes actually aren't that funny , the catchphrase grows dull after a while, and you kind wish at some point they would have made a show about... every other character in the show, and the world because its wildly more interesting. But I grew up with it in its time, and I appreciate it for what it is, and how it helped lead to more shows doing more, plot ish things for its plots with a comedic and sillier basis with having to establish itself as a serious show. These shows kind of went away for a while, she elements this, along with actual action shows and to see that sort of thing at the time it hit holds a special place in her heart.

However when she looks at the show from a technical stand point, its very pretty, very badly paced and written show .

I couldn't really argue that, it reminds me of my relation ship with the reboot of the archie sonic comic of all things. Because I like it, but its actually kind of really bad, my love for the material is actually carrying through what is when I walk outside of my personal enjoyment , its flawed . And I found myself unable to argue her points about it, I never really went back to analyze Adventure time, but this prompted me to, a lot of things with interesting start ups that lead to uninteresting dead ends.

Then again she likes Clarence so, why should I listen to her anyway.

Clarence is great! Clarence promotes the feeling of being a kid better than any show since Hey Arnold, and Clarence is still better at being an actual child than Arnold the philosopher. The trippy episodes are a bit much, but the more grounded episodes are tremendous, getting into some slightly more serious issues (like divorce or poverty) without ever feeling heavy-handed.

As for AT, i can see that argument. The latter seasons definitely had a sense of a show that was getting high on its own farts, so to speak, although some of the more abstract concept episodes are also really, really cool.

"Everything Stays" at the end of Stakes was a bit of a copout, but it was also an explanation of the kind of show this is. They're not going to radically change the status quo, but they are going to change folks in small ways. They definitely could have executed the show better in the big picture, so there's a lot of wasted potential, but you can't deny the passion that goes into most of the episodes.

Oh right, I suppose this is worth bringing up here. Teaser trailer for the new My Little Pony theatrical film, which is only 30 seconds and has no actual movie footage. Note that the people who made the teaser converted the assets incorrectly and messed up the shadows (EDIT: article about the post, since the post link isn't working), giving everything a weird glossy look, which doesn't reflect how the actual movie looks. It's interesting to get that small peak at how promotions like this are handled, and how it can be messed up. Still, I thought the brief scenes of ponies flying looked nice.

If possible, could anyone here provide more information about what Rebecca Dart means in her tweet when she says, "They didn't convert the 16 bit images to 8 bit properly and it crushed all the shadows"?

Ogodei

I have noticed a bit of waning with AT hype. I see more people talk about Steven Universe, these days.

Part of the waning is attributed to the fact that CN seems to just be running out the clock on their remaining Adventure Time episodes. Steven Universe, at least, still gets promotion from the network.

Xe4

Banned
Anybody here see Nocturna? Wondering if it's good before buying the bluray...

It's great! The art and animation is amazing, and the story is pretty engaging as well. There's one downside, and it's that for whatever reason the Blu-Ray (if you live in the US) contains only the English dub and does not feature the Spanish subtitled version which is a huge bummer as I'm not a fan of the dub.

But if that doesn't bother you, I highly suggest it.

Xe4

Banned
Also (I'm putting this in a separate post because I consider it important enough) the Oscars prove once again how they don't know what the fuck they are doing with respect to animated films.

Under the new Academy rules, nomination voting in the animated feature category will now be opened up to the entire eligible voting membership, instead of being restricted to the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch. From the Academy press release:

Invitations to join the [animated feature] nominating committee will be sent to all active Academy members, rather than a select craft-based group. Voting in the nominations round will now be preferential instead of based on a numerical scoring system. Members participating on the nominating committee may view films in their theatrical runs or at other screenings, through the Academy's streaming site or on DVDs/screeners to qualify to vote.
...according to a piece published by The Wrap. They report that there have been internal debates within the Academy about finding ways to eliminate ‘old school' animation and focus more attention onto commercial cgi projects:

The committees have been under increasing criticism in recent years for shunning films like The Lego Movie and showing a marked preference for hand-drawn or stop-motion films over CG movies...The move should substantially increase the number of voters in the category, and perhaps lessen the bias toward old-school animation.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/o...-films-best-animated-feature-race-150099.html

More Academy members will take part in choosing the nominees for the best animated feature Oscar under a new rule, which was announced Friday by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. And the immediate reaction among Oscar watchers was that it would boost widely seen studio films at the expense of smaller indie fare, the type of films New York-based indie distributor GKIDS Films has very successfully secured nominations for in recent years.
As the implications of the new rule set in, some sources in the animation community pointed out that not all Academy members, though they will be invited to participate in the nominating process, will step forward and opt in. And those who do will need to put in the time to see a required majority of contenders in order to cast their nomination vote.

For some, the new rule change was a long time coming. It's believed that fewer than 200 of the Academy's 7,000 members, mostly from the animation and shorts branch, have been involved in selecting the nominees in the animated feature category. This change, allowing more to participate, brings the process closer to the way BAFTA picks its animation nominees. It also reflect's the Academy's moves to expand the voting base for other categories such as foreign-language film.

Within the animation community itself, there also are competing camps. One has quietly acknowledged it has nominated hand-drawn 2D films to keep them in the public eye. And that has provoked complaints from others in the field. How that tension will play out under the new rule may depend on how many Academy members sign up to participate in the nomination-selection process.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...rules-could-impact-animation-community-992096

Bleh. To be honest, I can't tell you why I even bother with the Oscars in the animation category anymore. I hope for a miracle, but we all know it will be Disney/Pixar winning the award year after year after year after year.

Hopefully I'm freaking out over nothing, and the nominations are as excellent this year as ever, but something tells me this won't be the case.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ogodei

Honestly should've gone the other way, for having the same voting pool pick the nominees and the winners. The problem with the winners always being the same is a lot of the voters don't even bother to watch any animated movies, they just pick what's hot with their children/grandchildren and move on.

Top Bottom