• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

The first episode of Rugrats just aired on The Splat. Something I've noticed with early 90's Nick animation is there's a bunch of scenes in them with 0 music. It's like it's awkward silence but it also feels nostalgic.

PSqueak

Banned
Adventure Time is far from the first to come up with the "mystical train" premise, and it won't be the last. It's well made, why not just appriciate it for that?

It is well made, but they pitch a show with this premise, to the same network that has AT, after that episode is still fresh on the minds of people?

I mean, you're right about AT not being the first show to use the premise, or the last one, but come on! whoever came up with this didn't even have the decency of waiting until AT ended? Or was the attempt to replace it deliberate?

Psxphile

It is well made, but they pitch a show with this premise, to the same network that has AT, after that episode is still fresh on the minds of people?

I mean, you're right about AT not being the first show to use the premise, or the last one, but come on! whoever came up with this didn't even have the decency of waiting until AT ended? Or was the attempt to replace it deliberate?

I'm sitting here just rolling my eyes right now.

Xe4

Banned

I mean, it was 1 episode out of ~250, and virtually nothing else was simmilar aside from the concept. I don't think there needs to be any "decency" because there's nothing else simmilar. If the premise of Adventure Time was about people on a mystic train I'd agree, but honestly it's a stretch to even say the writer was inspired by Adventure Time, much less that the two shows can't run simultaneously.

I think Infinity Train has more in common with a show like Gravity Falls than Adventure Time to be frank.

Penguin

Bumping bumping bumping

Since The Disney Afternoon collection is dropping tomorrow, thought we should talk more about that block of animation. I mean for me, and sure many others, was really the go-to after school programming for a few years before FoxKids really took off.

So what was your first gen of Disney Afternoon programming? What is your favorite show? Theme? Which show would you like to see resurrected (Clearly not Ducktales since you know!)

StoneFox

I wasn't too big on Disney Afternoon, but I did enjoy Gargoyles while it aired. I don't think we'll see a show like that on Disney again anytime soon.

Nudull

Banned
I was only three years old by the time the original Disney Afternoon ended, but I was around for One Saturday Morning. My only experience with DA was through reruns. :)

I wasn't too big on Disney Afternoon, but I did enjoy Gargoyles while it aired. I don't think we'll see a show like that on Disney again anytime soon.

Yeah, what I would give for an animated version of the third season(currently only exists as a comic book series... that also ended before its time).

Psxphile

So this is happening.

whvbAy3.gif

Xe4

Banned
Bumping bumping bumping

Since The Disney Afternoon collection is dropping tomorrow, thought we should talk more about that block of animation. I mean for me, and sure many others, was really the go-to after school programming for a few years before FoxKids really took off.

So what was your first gen of Disney Afternoon programming? What is your favorite show? Theme? Which show would you like to see resurrected (Clearly not Ducktales since you know!)

I never had cable, so was never able to see Dinsey programming until I was an adult. If I had to say, my favorite program would probably be Gargoyles. I'd love to see a revival of that (and so would Weisman!) Two years ago I'd have said it'll never happen, but after SJ S5 and YJ S3 who knows?

Psxphile

I mean its bad, but is it really bad compared to some of the other straight to dvd stuff?

Granted, but at least those efforts were original creations and not live-action movies only now badly animated but with wacky cat and mouse hijinx in the background.

Tizoc

Someone ought t make a thread about the different artstyles of the tom and jerry series thru the decades

Kangi

tumblr_oorgjfP0ox1txjyqro1_540.jpg

Sometimes you tend to forget or simply don't realize what kind of impact western animated media has on cultures other than our own. source

It's always weird seeing the S1-era promotional art being widely used when the show's artstyle has long since evolved.

I also have no idea how they could come up with enough merchandise to create such a store, but I want to visit it anyway.

Xe4

Banned

Zubz

Banned
So, along with a new title Young Justice Season 3 will apparently only be available on DC's new digital-only service:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dc-digital-service-titans-young-justice-outsiders-1202076831/

which doesn't launch until 2018.

j6ZBj.gif

I've refused to pay for more than 1 streaming service at a time, & I was hoping to keep it that way. But Young Justice 3 & what may be a genuine sequel to the original Teen Titans cartoon is tempting...

zulux21

j6ZBj.gif

I've refused to pay for more than 1 streaming service at a time, & I was hoping to keep it that way. But Young Justice 3 & what may be a genuine sequel to the original Teen Titans cartoon is tempting...

my plan is simple.
if they release the episodes a week at a time I will just wait until they are all out and then sub and binge then cancel
otherwise sub and binge then cancel.

if they were smart I would have the whole thing available for paying members but do it a week at a time for free members with ads.

I don't see how. It's a) live-action and b) full reboot. It's going the Flash/Arrow/Supergirl route.

yup it's gonna be live action so not related to the cartoon (though it wouldn't surprise me if they made it similar to the original cartoon and casted youngish 18-22 year olds to play high school students :p)

unfortunately there is a good chance both of these projects get delayed to 2019 though given the likely writer's strike. (we will know next week if there will be a strike)

Didn't see this posted and I'm not entirely sure if animation for YouTube applies for this thread, but I love the work Felix Colgrave did for his latest short film Double King: https://youtu.be/w_MSFkZHNi4

He somehow has the right mix between cute and disturbing and creative and scary and funny and gross. I even get some The Thief and the Cobbler vibes from Double King, but more for the aesthetic than the animation itself.

Xe4

Banned
The thread for Netflix's Witcher series is disappointing me with all the comments that they'd lose interest if it was animated.
Obviously the only things that are animated are animu and kids shows tho. Can't have it be either of those.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. It's going to take years to have animation be taken as seriously as live action stuff.
TBS is apparently starting up a 'TBS Animation' block sometime soon. One of the shows is "Close Enough" by Regular Show creator J.G. Quintel.

https://t.co/BVuOJKQnjA (Starts at 2:52)

I'm down for another Quintel show. Regular Show was dope.

Top Bottom