• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPaul93

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/westworld-reviews
The first reviews are in for HBO’s big-budget new robo-thriller Westworld — and the results are unanimous (so far). The sci-fi drama is being heralded as a worthy successor to Game of Thrones (which sets a pretty high bar given it’s the network’s highest-rated show of all time and this weekend is on the verge of becoming the most-honored Emmy-winner of all time, too).

HBO has made the first four episodes available to critics (the first season is 10 episodes long). EW will have its own review closer to premiere, but for now, here are some excerpts from around the web. The series premieres Oct. 2.

IGN :

After a lot of build-up and some much-discussed production delays, would it deliver? The answer is a big yes, as those high expectations were met with a terrific, gripping premiere episode (airing Oct. 2 on HBO) that quickly draws you in… its standout cast to its excellent visuals to one hell of a hummable score by the great Ramin Djawadi (the composer of Game of Thrones and Person of Interest), this is top-notch television in every respect. The juxtaposition of life inside Westworld and life for those who are creating Westworld allows for an excellent entry point into the show, allowing us to invest with these artificial life forms from the start, while getting to also see the motivations of those behind-the-scenes.

The Atlantic:

What would happen if or when the day came that humankind created an intelligence so powerful that it turned against us? It’s a scenario that’s been visualized a thousand ways… But the scenario has rarely been developed with the sophistication and ingenuity on display in HBO’s upcoming series Westworld …. The series doesn’t merely present androids as protagonists or victims. It grants them the defining victory of the outsider: the right at last to tell—haltingly, given their emergent capacities—their stories for themselves.

The Guardian:

… for those of us who just like story – lots and lots of story! – Westworld will hit the spot as hard as GoT ever did. Gosh, there’s a lot going on… There’s the real world full of robot-wranglers, some of whom are jostling for position inside whatever just-possibly-malevolent company owns the park, others of whom are busy tinkering with their charges’ software and trying to decide whether to make the skinjobs more realistic or quit while they’re ahead. ‘Y’know, before everything goes a bit, like, Skynet on us’ nobody ever quite says, but clearly should.

Collider:

The series — with a solid logical foundation and world-building — is lovingly crafted, marrying its Wild West aesthetic with cold sci-fi elements of the labs that run the park in a way that feels believably connected … The series even broaches philosophical musings, à la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, as to whether it would be better to live a safe life where our pain is erased, or a life of free will with all of its mistakes and hurt. The choice is not always clear. Like Game of Thrones, Westworld is a sprawling story, but it’s never as disparate as the world of Westeros and what lies beyond the Narrow Sea. What matters here is the notion that everything is contained, intimate, and carefully crafted, and fans of Crichton will immediately feel the familiarity with his most famous stories’ themes: where what we overly-confident Homo sapiens create and try and control quickly spirals out beyond our abilities. We are not gods, only tinkerers, and the characters of Westworld are starting to learn that trying to control what we don’t understand can lead to catastrophic effects.

The Telegraph:

…we’re thrust into a complex, visionary world that is pleasingly in no rush to rapidly churn out its storyline. Like the on-screen robots, its pieces are meticulously put together, its capacity to unleash hell brimming beneath the surface. And it’s beautiful to watch. Utah’s tourist industry best be ready for the swell in numbers this series is likely to create, for its dry, epic spectacle of a backdrop has been rendered to almost as jaw dropping effect as seeing it in real life.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
These impressions actually make me want to watch the show. It seems HBO has an idea of what to do now that's Game of Thrones is almost gone. Let's just hope it has good ratings.

Nolan blessed
71nqQQy.png

DavidDesu

So.. when does this air for us plebs (UK plebs specifically?!). Guessing Sky has this one so I can watch on Now TV?

Sounds bloody amazing, and it looked amazing from the trailers. I'm LOVING our modern age movie production value narratives told over multiple episodes and seasons. So much better than movies themselves.

Beefy

So.. when does this air for us plebs (UK plebs specifically?!). Guessing Sky has this one so I can watch on Now TV?

Sounds bloody amazing, and it looked amazing from the trailers. I'm LOVING our modern age movie production value narratives told over multiple episodes and seasons. So much better than movies themselves.

I am sure I read it was a joint production with HBO and Sky Atlantic.

HBO: 2nd Oct
Sky A: 4th Oct

These impressions actually make me want to watch the show. It seems HBO has an idea of what to do now that's Game of Thrones is almost gone. Let's just hope it has good ratings.

It has a few years yet.

jelly

Sky Atlantic in October. I presume same night late or next day like they've done before with other US aired shows like Game of Thrones.

pa22word

Hopefully it doesn't pull a The Night Of and have a great pilot and then slowly whittle itself down into nothing by the time it ends.

sn00zer

Nice, LOVED this movie as a kid anyone know if the new series includes
Roman World annnnd the other world I can't think of

kmfdmpig

HBO's success rate with both comedy and drama is so high. It's really impressive what they have been able to do considering how all of the networks, Netflix, and Amazon fail so much more frequently.

Mifune

Mehmber
Person of Interest would be at the bottom of the list if it were included in Nolan filmography tbh.

But this show looks like fire. Man they assembled a great cast too.

It's impossible to compare a movie to a TV series, especially one that develops as gracefully and surprisingly over five seasons the way PoI does.

petghost

Banned
i really loved the 70's movie. had no idea they were making a show. its not a whole lot to build a big narrative on top of i guess but its an intriguing concept so im psyched to see what they do.

boingball

Damn, had high hopes but low expectations for the show. These are some fine first impressions and it seems like the show delivers on its promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom