• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

ShaneB

This morning was a reminder that I shouldn't get so complacent when it feels like I've got a perfect shaving going on. Ended up with my worst cut yet, right along the jaw line cutting against the grain. Was going great, but in general was going too fast and before I know it I've got a cut that is pretty big. Dang it.

This morning was a reminder that I shouldn't get so complacent when it feels like I've got a perfect shaving going on. Ended up with my worst cut yet, right along the jaw line cutting against the grain. Was going great, but in general was going too fast and before I know it I've got a cut that is pretty big. Dang it.

You got a styptic pencil? All of us should have one. My dad told me about it and I just got it. Stings a little bit when you put it on but it works great.

I use these:

51q%2BJAIrm5L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GCVJEW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ShaneB

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into em, but it was mostly just me being an idiot and realizing it was easily avoidable. Definitely not a small nick. I'm just lucky it was more on the side of my face and on the jaw line like I mentioned. If it had been more infront and on the chin or something, I'd probably have been too embarassed to go into work today.
KuGsj.gif

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How long is it ok to leave a razor attached before bacteria or whatever comes? I only shave once a week. My variety pack I got December is going to last for-ev-ver.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
leave it whenever. just rinse it out and leave it somewhere to air dry

I mean if I only shaved once in 4 weeks if I was going to see how a beard looked, would the blade still be good just sitting there that whole time on the counter stand with shit fumes floating around nearby everyday?

Dunno if anyone reading this thread lives in Chicago, but Mertz Apothecary in Lincoln Square has an amazing selection of fancy shaving accouterments. I picked up some really great Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond Shaving Cream but they have tons of stuff, including super fancy safety razors and brushes. The prices seem really reasonable too. Check it out if you're in the area.

I mean if I only shaved once in 4 weeks if I was going to see how a beard looked, would the blade still be good just sitting there that whole time on the counter stand with shit fumes floating around nearby everyday?
Just change it, they cost next to nothing and a fresh blade to take a beard off will be needed.

I'm new to wet shaving but I'm really interested since I have pretty sensitive skin and I'm tired of spending money on cartridges.

I went to a store today and saw the Edwin Jagger DE89. I really liked it but unfortunately it was much more expensive at the store. So I'm thinking of picking up the DE89 from Amazon and I also need a sampler of blades. Can someone recommend a pack? I'm also looking for a pretty cheap intro package with a brush and bowl. Any recommendations? I'll buy the soaps/creams locally since they were about on par with Amazon. But if someone can recommend a package from Amazon for convenience sake that'd be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LW4LJK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JXY8MO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Giard

I'm new to wet shaving but I'm really interested since I have pretty sensitive skin and I'm tired of spending money on cartridges.

I went to a store today and saw the Edwin Jagger DE89. I really liked it but unfortunately it was much more expensive at the store. So I'm thinking of picking up the DE89 from Amazon and I also need a sampler of blades. Can someone recommend a pack? I'm also looking for a pretty cheap intro package with a brush and bowl. Any recommendations? I'll buy the soaps/creams locally since they were about on par with Amazon. But if someone can recommend a package from Amazon for convenience sake that'd be awesome. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LW4LJK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JXY8MO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The DE89 is a great choice. As for the soap and brush, here's a pack from Italian Barber that I believe is a great choice:
Cella soap, Omega 10049 brush and RazoRock alum for 19.99
However, this doesn't come with a stand for the brush.

The pack that you posted doesn't seem to have a bowl (neither does mine). However, it is not necessary depending on how you want to lather your soap. There's multiple ways, check out Mantic59's videos on Youtube to see the difference between hand, face and bowl lathering.

As for the blade sampler pack, try looking for a pack that has some of the blades mentioned in the OP. They're pretty much the most popular ones. Hope this helps!

ChanHuk

Banned
So I'm running out of Proraso soap. I absolutely love the soap, any recommendations as far as menthol soaps go? I absolutely love the feeling of cold water after a shave.

I got overzealous shaving my neck this weekend and it sort of looks like I got attacked by a vampire. It's my own fault though, the first two passes I did were perfect, but shaving against the grain really fucked me up. Lesson learned, being impatient or sloppy is the enemy of shaving with a safety razor.

So I'm running out of Proraso soap. I absolutely love the soap, any recommendations as far as menthol soaps go? I absolutely love the feeling of cold water after a shave.

If you have a Bath and Body Works near you (it can also be ordered on amazon), C.O. Bigelow is just rebranded Proraso.

uvqrL.png

h3ro

Thanks for all the great work, mantic!

The videos and reviews have been invaluable to me and I'm sure plenty of others in this thread.

Funny aside about my shaving habits since I started using a safety razor. Last weekend, due to poor time management on my part, I had to dust off my old Mach 3 to get a quick shave. It might be placebo, but I did the same prep that I use when I use my EJ DE89 with Astras and got a pretty awesome shave! Wasn't as good as it is with my usual equipment, but the proper prep and technique combined with using quality soap made a definite difference when compared with my previous gel out of a can and hack/slash days.

PS. Proraso Sandalwood is AMAZING. Absolutely love the aroma and consistency. Works into a gorgeous lather using a very small amount. Highly recommended for those looking to get something a little different as their second cream after starting out with the standard fare, such as the regular Proraso creams.

Decado

I have an unfortunate tendency to get little whiteheads and redness around my mouth/lips and chin around 24 to 48 hours after I shave. I rarely get them otherwise. I've googled it and some other seem to have the same issue, but alas I don't see any solutions (besides not having a close shave).

Does anyone with experience with this issue tried a wet shave? Does it solve the problem? Since I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the hair growing back, I'm not getting my hopes up...but just in case I figured I'd ask :p

Giard

It's great having you here! Did you join because you have an interest in video games?

I have an unfortunate tendency to get little whiteheads and redness around my mouth/lips and chin around 24 to 48 hours after I shave. I rarely get them otherwise. I've googled it and some other seem to have the same issue, but alas I don't see any solutions (besides not having a close shave).

Does anyone with experience with this issue tried a wet shave? Does it solve the problem? Since I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the hair growing back, I'm not getting my hopes up...but just in case I figured I'd ask :p
Wet shaving could definitely help. If you don't want to make the jump, you might wanna try an aftershave, something like TendSkin (check the OP) or alum.

Decado

Wet shaving could definitely help. If you don't want to make the jump, you might wanna try an aftershave, something like TendSkin (check the OP) or alum.
That's good to hear. I'll look into it more. If anyone has some experience with this, feel free to chime in.

EDIT: saw the websites in the OP re: places to buy.

Been shaving with a straight razor for about three months now. After the first few "there will be blood" incidents prior to figuring it out, it's been great, except my mustache area. Near my nose I cut myself every time, and near my lips it's been causing these big red irritated places, so bad I've been going back to a disposable three-blade for that area just because I'm sick of the trouble it causes. I'm also having issues getting the area right under my chin shaved properly with the straight razor. What am I doing wrong here?

You should try witch hazel as an aftershave. It's a natural astringent.

What is your favorite sandalwood scented shave soap? I've been using this (Taylor of Old Bond Street), but I'm almost out. I really like it, but if there is something better, I'll go with that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, can't believe I didn't see this before! Now I will never have an unshaved hair in my face! I love NeoGaf.

ChanHuk

Banned
I think I'm going to go with another tub of Proraso green. Just love the cooling sensation. I'm looking to upgrade my brush (Tweezerman) and thinking Simpson Berkley or Colonel.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
After doing some reading on safety razors and wet shaving, I decided to grab a Vincent VT300-1 and a Feather Portable that were lying around the store I work at (Perk of working at a barber supply store!) and I tried them both (I also grabbed a No. 4 Omega Brush, the one with the silver handle and I kept using the tub of ProShave that I started using regularly. Wow, what a difference in terms of the quality of the shave. Don't think I can ever go back to my Gillette Fusion. I think the Vincent razor is kind of shoddy (Twist to open, feels kind of flimsy), but the Feather razor is nice and sturdy, albeit a little small. I'll probably end up buying a DE89L soon.

Question, I get some pretty annoying razor bumps and after various methods (Bump Stopper, Bump Solutions Toner) to try to get rid of it, they just won't go away. Any suggestions for what shaving cream/soap, pre/post cream, aftershave I should use to try to remedy them?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've got some spare blades I don't want. Anyone interested? I'll ship for free, since another GAFer hooked me up earlier with aftershave. First to quote gets it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
best "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" EVER!!

I originally bought a sampler pack. I opened the packs to try out the blades but I obviously didn't use all the blades. I am happy with Feathers so I bought a bunch of them and have no need for the other brands. Now the others are free to you! PM me your address.

ChanHuk

Banned
I too have some blades that are unopened and won't be using if anyone wants them.

I'm thinking about going to Victoria's Secret and picking up that Very Sexy for Him aftershave balm for nights on the town. I also ordered a Simpson Colonel Badger Brush another tub of Proraso green and Proraso sandalwood (I would prefer a soap but that's all thats offered).

ChanHuk

Banned
Also if you guys are interested. BANDB is the code I used for $6.50 off my order at West Coast Shaving. Free shipping over $80, they have very good prices.

ChanHuk

Banned
Nice I'll grab one.

Do you, or anyone else, recommend Proraso aftershave? Looking for more alcohol free stuff.

I've always used Witch Hazel as an aftershave. But from what I've been told the Proraso aftershave is icy cold. I like unscented aftershaves unless I'm going on a date, then I'll throw something on.

h3ro

Nice I'll grab one.

Do you, or anyone else, recommend Proraso aftershave? Looking for more alcohol free stuff.

Sorry, I've never tried it. Even before switching to double edged shaving, I was using Nivea Aftershave Balm and stuck with it as it did the job for me.

Sorry, I've never tried it. Even before switching to double edged shaving, I was using Nivea Aftershave Balm and stuck with it as it did the job for me.

Yeah I've been using the Sensitive variety of that. It's good but I think it's a little too oily for me. Leaves my face greasy afterwards.

Though I did say I didn't want an alcohol type, the Proraso aftershave lotion sounds really good (contains menthol, witch hazel, allantoin).

Thanks to those who mentioned Astra SPs as an alternative Feathers. They don't shave quite as close but I have way less irritation on my neck, which has always been a problem spot for me.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Just ordered: DE89L, Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel w/ Lavender, Proraso Green Tea & Oat Pre/Post-Cream, and Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Thanks for the heads up on that sale, h3ro.). I'm going to let my hair grow out a bit until that stuff gets here to see if some of these ingrown hairs go away.

jcm

Just ordered: DE89L, Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel w/ Lavender, Proraso Green Tea & Oat Pre/Post-Cream, and Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Thanks for the heads up on that sale, h3ro.). I'm going to let my hair grow out a bit until that stuff gets here to see if some of these ingrown hairs go away.

I find that I get far fewer ingrown hairs with a DE than with a multiblade. The multiblades cut the hair below the surface of the skin, which causes problems for me. Also, I only shave with the grain, which seems to help.

Bboy AJ

I've got some spare blades I don't want. Anyone interested? I'll ship for free, since another GAFer hooked me up earlier with aftershave. First to quote gets it.

YoYo Switch never PMed me. I'll give him until tomorrow night my time (Germany) to reply. If no response, first to quote this post gets them instead. PM me your address as well.

ChanHuk

Banned
Got my new Simpson Colonel shave brush, Proraso green soap and Proraso red cream. I'm stoked to shave tomorrow after my shower :)

One thing to note my Colonel brush is the same size as my old Tweezerman which I'm happy about. People were exaggerating its size for some reason.

Top Bottom