• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

ChanHuk

Banned
Well I gave my Colonel and Proraso red a shot and either I suck at lathering creams or the Colonel just loves to gobble cream. I had to use 3 dime sized dollops to get a good lather going, once it was going it was amazing. The brush itself though, oh dear god is it amazing. I wanted to smash my Tweezerman after I used the Colonel. I'm getting addicted, I think I'm gonna order a tub of Mitchell's Wool Fat, $35 is a lot for a soap though (including beautiful ceramic dish) otherwise its like $12 for the soap.

bob page

For the Art of Shaving 5oz tubs, how are you supposed to get the cream onto the brush? I have been using my finger but figured that probably isn't the most sanitary thing to do.

For the Art of Shaving 5oz tubs, how are you supposed to get the cream onto the brush? I have been using my finger but figured that probably isn't the most sanitary thing to do.

Do shave after you defecated without washing your hands inbetween? lol
Look what it says on its Amazon page:
Can be lathered up with a Shaving Brush or with fingers
I'm pretty sure that's how it is intended.

bob page

Do shave after you defecated without washing your hands? lol
Look what it says on its Amazon page:

I'm pretty sure that's how it is intended.
I'm not talking about lathering, I'm talking about getting it onto the brush in the first place. With tubs of cream like this, I've heard it's not good to put your hands right in because the oils from your skin mix in (but I'm not sure if that's BS).

I'm not talking about lathering, I'm talking about getting it onto the brush in the first place. With tubs of cream like this, I've heard it's not good to put your hands right in because the oils from your skin mix in (but I'm not sure if that's BS).

Huh? So you mean it could sort of spoil because you put your finger it? I'm sure it's true for some foods (dairy), but not for cremes and such.
All the women in the world use their fingers to scoop creme out of tubs. I wouldn't worry.
Of course you could also just dedicate a spoon for that purpose if you feel like it.

jcm

Can't you just stick the end of your brush in the tub?

Broseybrose

Can't you just stick the end of your brush in the tub?
This. Wet the brush. Wring it out. Give a swirl or two in the tub. This is actually considered the 'proper' or 'most common' way to do it.

Just a bit on the tips should be enough to lather up with a splash or two of water in a bowl, but go ahead and apply generously.

bob page

This. Wet the brush. Wring it out. Give a swirl or two in the tub. This is actually considered the 'proper' or 'most common' way to do it.

Just a bit on the tips should be enough to lather up with a splash or two of water in a bowl, but go ahead and apply generously.
Awesome, thanks. I didn't want to get any water in the tub but this should work.

ChanHuk

Banned
Are you guys face lathering or bowl lathering? I tried bowl lathering today and absolutely hated it. I like the aspect of face lathering because it really does exfoliate your skin.

OH, I bought a small gravy warmer at Cost Plus World Market that I use as a brush skuttle. Paid $8 for it. Keeps my brush nice and warm. Hot lather is awesome.

Taborcarn

Heh, I found this thread a bit too late... I just ordered about a six month supply of Dorco multiblade razors after reading up about the dollar shave club. Now that I've read this thread in it's entirety and followed the links to Sharpologist and Badger & Blade I'm really eager to give wet shaving with safety razors a shot. But I won't allow myself to do that until I go through this supply first.

At least I have a bunch of good Christmas gift ideas though.

Giard

RazoRock have released their own line of razors! TTO and three piece models available, from $14.99 to $19.99. Great prices.

http://www.italianbarber.com/new-products

Might get this one... it's sexy.
RRSBF-13.jpg

Antagon

Dropped my razor this morning, head broke off. Looking for something new now, not sure what. Had an Edwin Jagger DE89L which I liked. Seen a Super Speed for sale for 31.50 euros, which seems good. Otherwise might try a Merkur, maybe something a bit more aggressive then the EJ.

Also, how do you guys take the razors with you while traveling? Need to find a way to take my DE with me without getting the blades dull.

jcm

Also, how do you guys take the razors with you while traveling? Need to find a way to take my DE with me without getting the blades dull.

I use this case for my Merkur 180. FYI if you're flying in the US TSA doesn't allow DE blades to be carried on. They can be checked.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, well I tried the electric shaver for a while and it's terrible for my sensitive and acne prone skin. Causes breakouts and ingrown hairs.

I'm going to pick up a proper shave kit then.

Any advice on where to buy for Canadians? I'd really like to get a Rooney brush, since well, I am a Rooney. A medium Pure Badger Rooney brush should be more than good enough, right?

Antagon

I use this case for my Merkur 180. FYI if you're flying in the US TSA doesn't allow DE blades to be carried on. They can be checked.

It's mainly for a backpacking trip through Argentina, so the razor will be in my backpack most of the time. I'll definitely keep the double edged blades in there.

Now just got to decide between a Merkur Progress and a Super Speed. Completely different blades obviously and the progress is quite a bit more expensive. But an adjustable is something I might want to try. Plus there are cases available for the Merkur, while it's a gamble if the Super Speed will fit.

Exodus, a medium pure badger brush is fine.

Looking for a good first straight razor! Recommend me something great, but nothing $70+ if possible.

I'm perfectly happy with my DOVO Shavette. It's a straight razor handle that holds disposable blades. I bought a "real" straight razor for cheap and it turned out to be junk. I'd try the Shavette first to see if you even like straight razor shaving (it can be scary in the beginning) without having to shell out for sharpening stones, strops, etc.

Giard

Any advice on where to buy for Canadians? I'd really like to get a Rooney brush, since well, I am a Rooney. A medium Pure Badger Rooney brush should be more than good enough, right?
I highly recommend Italianbarber.com - great service, fast shipping and good prices. They're based in Canada.

It's mainly for a backpacking trip through Argentina, so the razor will be in my backpack most of the time. I'll definitely keep the double edged blades in there.

Now just got to decide between a Merkur Progress and a Super Speed. Completely different blades obviously and the progress is quite a bit more expensive. But an adjustable is something I might want to try. Plus there are cases available for the Merkur, while it's a gamble if the Super Speed will fit.

Exodus, a medium pure badger brush is fine.

If you want something more aggressive than your EJ, I don't think the Super Speed is a good choice. Also, 31 euros is pretty expensive; I bought my 40s Super Speed for 15 euros including shipping, and you can get them for even cheaper than that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I highly recommend Italianbarber.com - great service, fast shipping and good prices. They're based in Canada.

Thanks.

I think I'll be buying this cream(well, more of a soap from what I hear):
http://www.italianbarber.com/i-coloniali-mango-oil-shave-soap-in-terracotta-bowl-100ml

The reviews make it sound too damned intriguing. Can't resist.

I guess I'll get the Edwin Jagger DE89 razor...not sure on the brush yet.

Actually what about Fendrihan? Looks like they're Canadian as well. This seems like a solid brush:
http://www.fendrihan.com/classic-silvertip-shaving-brush-faux-tortoise-handle-p-1457.html

Or this, doesn't look as nice but seems to have a good reputation:
http://www.fendrihan.com/simpsons-berkeley-best-badger-shaving-brush-p-1752.html?cPath=116_3_15

Antagon

That's some expensive stuff to start with.

The de89 has worked well for me though. So well, that I decided to replace my broken one with the same. Seems practically unbeatable in value.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well the DE89 seems to be the go to recommended in the OP.

As for the brush. $50 doesn't seem so bad. I could buy a cheapo brush for $20 that will wilt and lose it's hairs...I don't mind paying a bit more for something that will do a good job and last a long while.

The cream is an extravagance...yeah. I'll probably pick up a thing of Taylor as well, since that seems to be the cheap go-to. The mango cream is just too intriguing to not go with it. It should last a really long time anyways, right?

Antagon

Probably, yeah. The DE89 is a quite mild, so you want some sharp knifes once you get the technique down. I use it with feathers. Expensive blades, but it gives me the best shave.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looking for a good first straight razor! Recommend me something great, but nothing $70+ if possible.

I used to use a straight razor and stopped. It's nice to use and satisfying but overall a pain. It requires a lot of care. Sending it out to get sharpened is annoying and I don't have time to hone my own razor.

Glad I made the switch to DE.

TheExodu5

Banned
Welp, there's about $200.

From Italian Barber:
Edwin & Jagger DE89
Simpson Berkley 46 Best Badger
I Coloniali Mango Oil Shave Soap
Gillette Silver Blue pack
Gillette 7 o'clock pack

From Fendrihan:
Sampler - Derby, Astra Platinum, Astra Stainless, Feather, Feather Black
Proraso Liquid Cream After-Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin

Fendrihan seems like it'll take quite a while to ship, which is why I figured I'd order some Gillette blades from Italian Barber in the meantime.

Giard

Welp, there's about $200.

From Italian Barber:
Edwin & Jagger DE89
Simpson Berkley 46 Best Badger
I Coloniali Mango Oil Shave Soap
Gillette Silver Blue pack
Gillette 7 o'clock pack

From Fendrihan:
Sampler - Derby, Astra Platinum, Astra Stainless, Feather, Feather Black
Proraso Liquid Cream After-Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin

Fendrihan seems like it'll take quite a while to ship, which is why I figured I'd order some Gillette blades from Italian Barber in the meantime.
Damn, usually you save money by switching :p
You bought a pretty expensive brush and soap to start with, but Simpson brushes have a great reputation and the soap looks to be quality stuff.

Taborcarn

So much for waiting for Christmas... I went ahead and took the plunge (with the wife's blessing of course).

I ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89 and the $5 blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving which should arrive tomorrow. Last Saturday in Target I picked up the Van der Hagen Luxury kit. All this week I've been using the soap and brush but still shaving with the cart razor. At least this way I can practice with that aspect before the real fun begins. I realize the brush isn't great and I'll probably replace it at some point, but for $60 I think I'm off to a good start.

Also, I won a newbie PIF on Badger and Blade so I should receive a '59 Gillette SuperSpeed and some more blades as well. So now, it's a very good start!

Giard

Heh, maybe I should have went with one of those RazoRock razers to begin with. They seem solid.
They're just released, let's wait and see. Although, Joe from RazoRock usually tries everything he sells under his brand, so I have no doubt that this product is good.

RazoRock on order! grabbed a razor/brush stand while there as well as a sampler pack.
I'm jelly.

I'm looking for a new aftershave. I thought about trying Speick Aftershave. Has anyone tried it? I'm looking for something that'll smell masculine and fresh, not "old man-ish".

bob page

I started using raw honey as an aftershave and it's amazing. It reduces redness 100% and evens out my skin tone. Highly recommended, but make sure it's raw and not regular honey.

TheExodu5

Banned
They're just released, let's wait and see. Although, Joe from RazoRock usually tries everything he sells under his brand, so I have no doubt that this product is good.

Well, I don't know about the Twist-To-Open style, but the 3-piece razor is a pretty simple piece of gear, no? The RazoRock is weighted at 2.9 ounces so it's pretty much in line with other well made razors (the Feather is listed at 3.2 ounces), so unless the machining is really bad or something, it's hard to see much go wrong with that.

I started using raw honey as an aftershave and it's amazing. It reduces redness 100% and evens out my skin tone. Highly recommended, but make sure it's raw and not regular honey.

Wouldn't that be sticky?

jcm

I'm looking for a new aftershave. I thought about trying Speick Aftershave. Has anyone tried it? I'm looking for something that'll smell masculine and fresh, not "old man-ish".

What are you looking for? A balm, gel or splash? Long lasting scent, or is transient ok? I use and enjoy Nancy Boy Signature (a somewhat cooling, tingly gel with lavender, peppermint & rosemary EO) and Castle Forbes Lavender Aftershave balm ( a lotion-ish balm with lavender EO). They are scented exclusively with EO, so neither one smells strong for very long. Neither one smells old manish to me.

The only splash I've used is the sampler pack Ogallala bay rum, but I think bay rum smells old manish. The lime and peppercorn one is probably the least old manish, if that helps.

Giard

What are you looking for? A balm, gel or splash? Long lasting scent, or is transient ok? I use and enjoy Nancy Boy Signature (a somewhat cooling, tingly gel with lavender, peppermint & rosemary EO) and Castle Forbes Lavender Aftershave balm ( a lotion-ish balm with lavender EO). They are scented exclusively with EO, so neither one smells strong for very long. Neither one smells old manish to me.

The only splash I've used is the sampler pack Ogallala bay rum, but I think bay rum smells old manish. The lime and peppercorn one is probably the least old manish, if that helps.

I would prefer a splash, don't have any preference as for the scent's duration. Maybe long-lasting, as I don't have cologne.

My gf sadly hates the smell of lavender, so that's out of the question. I thought about buying Ogallala aftershave before (the sage and cedarwood one), I might re-think about that. Speick seemed interesting because of its ingredients:
Alcohol, Water (Aqua), Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana Distillate, Lavandula Angustifoia Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Lactic Acid, Potassium Alum, Menthol, Camphor, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool

TheExodu5 said:
Well, I don't know about the Twist-To-Open style, but the 3-piece razor is a pretty simple piece of gear, no? The RazoRock is weighted at 2.9 ounces so it's pretty much in line with other well made razors (the Feather is listed at 3.2 ounces), so unless the machining is really bad or something, it's hard to see much go wrong with that.
The plating might be badly done, the metal used for the razor might be cheap (in this case it isn't, it's brass)... I'm sure tons of people have bought them and lots of reviews will come out in the next month.

Hey gaf, I want a close shave. Here is my method

1) I take a hot shower
2) I use preshaving oil
3) Place nivia sensitive skin shaving cream over oil
4) I shave with schick hydro

I shave down first then on the 2nd run, I lather up and shave against the grain. Problem is I get dark spots from shaving ( not in grown hairs). Anyway to prevent this

way more

I've been away for the past several weeks and I've been forced to use some really shitty razors. I thought they were Mach 3 disposables but it turns out they are Mack 3 Speed 3 Razors?

Anyway, I've noticed that although they tug a little as long as I maintain my normal routine or prep, daily face care, but with extra face lotion, it's fine. After using these crummy razors I'm even more inclined to say shaving is all about the stuff you do before and after, not the actual blade.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well went through my first wet shave on Friday. Went well, though I sucked at creating a proper lather. Gonna have to see if I can't improve things next go around. Loved the smell left behind by the shave soap. :)

I'm going to buy an electronic shaver. Hope its a lot easier.

I did that last month. It just doesn't do that great of a job and it required too much pressure on my skin, which ended up causing white heads and acne breakouts. Hopefully wet shaving fares better.

stn

Any tips for shaving DOWN THERE? I've been trimming with mini scissors for the longest time. Takes forever but gets the job done just as well. I've been afraid to use a razor for fear of cutting something "important," lol.

Thanks.

Antagon

Get a can of shaving cream (unless you want to waste a brush on your balls that is).
Smear the goo over your balls.
Grap a disposable catridge razor.
Put on 'eye of the tiger'.
Go to town.

You got to do some crazy stuff to cut your balls with a catridge razor, the skin there is very thick.

Sye d'Burns

neUvz.png

Shaving with beer. I cant imagine trying to work up a lather with lager.

I know desperate times call for desperate measures but I'd have to seriously consider rejoining beardGAF.

Taborcarn

The razor arrived on Friday, so I've been using it all weekend.
The shave seems pretty close on my face but I got a lot of little nicks and irritation on my neck. I picked up some alum so I'll see if that helps.

This morning was the third shave on the original blade, I think I'll swap it out tomorrow. I'm using the pack of Crystals that came with the sampler. I'll try working through this whole 10-pack before switching to another brand.

The shipment from WestCoastShaving came with a sample of proraso cream. I used that this morning instead of the Van Der Hagen soap I've been practicing with for a week. The cream seems to be a bit smoother on the face, but it gums up the razor more. Not sure how I feel about the scent.

Bath and Body Works sells the C.O. Bigelow cream, which is supposed to be the rebranded Proraso. They have a buy-2-get-1 sale right now, and a coupon for $10 off a $30 purchase. The coupon expires today so I might get some on the way have from work, but not sure if I want to pull the trigger on 3-4 tubes to get the deal's worth yet.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=11400494&cp=4090263

Giard

I've been away for the past several weeks and I've been forced to use some really shitty razors. I thought they were Mach 3 disposables but it turns out they are Mack 3 Speed 3 Razors?

Anyway, I've noticed that although they tug a little as long as I maintain my normal routine or prep, daily face care, but with extra face lotion, it's fine. After using these crummy razors I'm even more inclined to say shaving is all about the stuff you do before and after, not the actual blade.
That's probably right. Although I used a brush and soap with my Fusion before, and I still got some ingrown hairs on my neck. I haven't gotten some since I started using a safety razor (except once using Feather blades).

neUvz.png

Shaving with beer. I cant imagine trying to work up a lather with lager.

I know desperate times call for desperate measures but I'd have to seriously consider rejoining beardGAF.
Damn that's manly.

Any tips for shaving DOWN THERE? I've been trimming with mini scissors for the longest time. Takes forever but gets the job done just as well. I've been afraid to use a razor for fear of cutting something "important," lol.

Thanks.
I'll only say be careful. I once cut my sack, it bled for 7 hours.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I recently discovered something that I thought I should share with GAF. If you live with your gf/wife and you happen to run out of razors try one her (new) Venus razors on your face. It is AMAZING, you can push with the force of Hulk and not cut yourself. It gives a very close shave (maybe not AS close as a traditional guys razor but close enough). Its comfortable, very quick and absolutely dummy proof. Next time you run out of razors try it.

Youre welcome.

Sye d'Burns

Damn that's manly.

I'll only say be careful. I once cut my sack, it bled for 7 hours.

Speaking of manly, keep reading.

So I recently discovered something that I thought I should share with GAF. If you live with your gf/wife and you happen to run out of razors try one her (new) Venus razors on your face. It is AMAZING, you can push with the force of Hulk and not cut yourself. It gives a very close shave (maybe not AS close as a traditional guys razor but close enough). Its comfortable, very quick and absolutely dummy proof. Next time you run out of razors try it.

Youre welcome.

I guess I missed my chance to try that one.

My wife shaves with a Gem Open Comb MicroMatic. This is a single edge razor, for those who may not already know. She ran out of razors one day and adopted one of my extras razors. Without knowing, she picked one of the most aggressive razors I own, shaved and informed me of it all after the fact. I was impressed. Nary a nick in sight. I have no idea how she did it, considering it was the first time she's ever used a traditional safety razor.

Yeah, so she picked one of these

..and live to tell the tale.

Top Bottom