• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Jonm1010

Banned
General note: everybody's skin is different, so find the product that works for you. Tendskin, for example, dries out my skin like a MOTHAFUCKER. I simply cannot use skincare products with alcohol

I would recommend(as a general skincare rule to anyone, independent of wet shaving) a moisturizer suited to your particular skin.

Sure it can seem effeminate but it will help your overall complexion for most people.

Gallbaro

Banned
I went into some detail about vintage razors in ShaneB's thread. It's worth putting out there, again, for certain, but I'm not sure my using 90 year old razors makes me any more l33t. No need in personally attacking the OP.

edit: Since WWII? You're about 40 years late to the party if you think it began then. I wonder who is actually the noob here.

WWII were the largest manufacturing years of Gillette safety razors, its a good chance any used one will have originated from those years.

And you dump it in alcohol over night and it is sanitized, good as new, a face does not damage steel.

Esch

Banned
Been using a Merkur long handled 180, proraso, and a tweezerman brush. Shit is awesome.

I think i'm gonna make the switch from merkur blades to something sharper. I don't know whether i want feathers yet. Any suggestions?

Sye d'Burns

WWII were the largest manufacturing years of Gillette safety razors, its a good chance any used one will have originated from those years.

And you dump it in alcohol over night and it is sanitized, good as new, a face does not damage steel.

It's actually quite unlikely that there's a good chance a Gillette user is using a WWII razor. It's true that Gillette made a lot of razors during those years but the vast majority of them were on bakelite handles. No, a post war Tech or a Super Speed from the 50's or 60's is much, much more likely.

0ZfSP.jpg

I give all of my acquired razors, new or used, a Barbicide bath before use, works great.

Can anyone recommend Parker razors? They seem to be the only thing on Amazon.ca.

They're alright if you want something really cheap. I think that's what my straight edge is and it's ok for sampling but if you want up liking it I would definitely upgrade. Were you looking at straight razors or something else?

Giard

Noob, a used Gillette will cost $5.00. Safety razors last forever and there are literally millions of them out there produced since WWII.
I never claimed to be an expert, that's why I said in the OP that if you want something added, I'll gladly do it and credit you... There's no need to be an ass about it.

[quote="Lyphen]Can anyone recommend Parker razors? They seem to be the only thing on Amazon.ca.[/quote]
Check out Badger and Blade, there should be some reviews on Parker razors. Also, Italian Barber and Fendrihan in the OP are both based in Canada, if you want to order online.

EschatonDX said:
Been using a Merkur long handled 180, proraso, and a tweezerman brush. Shit is awesome.

I think i'm gonna make the switch from merkur blades to something sharper. I don't know whether i want feathers yet. Any suggestions?
Have you tried anything other than Merkur blades yet?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Honestly, safety and 60$ were my criteria, since I'm mostly jumping in blind from Mach 3's which have been a pain in my ass for a decade. I guess getting a 5 o'clock shadow an hour after shaving was kind of my style, but I'm ready to move on.

Thanks for the links, I always figure most shops are US based and never really bother to follow through.

kaskade

I'm definitely jumping into this wet shaving thing like a real gentleman. I've been keeping a bit of a beard for most of the winter with some trimming. It's time to take it off. People always get so hardcore over this stuff I feel like I'm going to buy the wrong things.

Honestly, safety and 60$ were my criteria, since I'm mostly jumping in blind from Mach 3's which have been a pain in my ass for a decade. I guess getting a 5 o'clock shadow an hour after shaving was kind of my style, but I'm ready to move on.

Thanks for the links, I always figure most shops are US based and never really bother to follow through.

Parkers are like $20 to $25 cheap razors made in India if it's the Parker I have. If you're willing to spend more you can definitely get a lot nicer.

Giard

Not yet.

Im still going through my first pack of blades. I'm a new wetshaver.
A sampler pack might be a good buy then. You'll get to test out a variety of blades. Some sampler packs include Feathers, so you'll get to try them out as well.

If you want a sharp blade but aren't too sure about Feathers, Personna Meds/Labs have a great reputation as well.

Question for you guys: I have proraso shaving soap and a badger hair brush, but I'm never sure what the best way to soap up the brush is...I've been soaking the brush in hot water and then just swirling it around right in the can. Is there a different way to do it?

clav

How do the compare Astra SP blades to the Dorco ST-301 blades?

I tried the Wal-Mart blades, but they don't like my face.

Yes, I should order a sampler, but I just want to know who's done it.

So far I like the Dorcos although I require quite a number of passes to achieve a smooth shave. The blade seems to be a good one for neophytes.

Sye d'Burns

Yes, I should order a sampler, but I just want to know who's done it.

So far I like the Dorcos although I require quite a number of passes to achieve a smooth shave. The blade seems to be a good one for neophytes.

I have and I highly recommend it. More in a moment.

Keep in mind multiple passes are expected when wet shaving (as in 2 or 3) because the method is beard reduction. Anything more than that and you may be wanting to look into your blade.

---
I found this post that I made in ShaneB's thread. I went ahead and copied the whole thing rather than quote it so that the background information could be included. Hopefully, the tips will help someone in this thread and possibly give someone an idea of a possible sample pack purchase.

---
Just completed my first shave and it was...awful. Probably the least close shave I've ever had. I basically got down to a 5 o'clock shadow. Not too much razor burn but I'm not really sure what I did wrong. I'll go watch some more YouTube videos and try to figure this out. Feel pretty stupid. :(

Also, I don't think I really like this razor. Unfortunately they sent me the plated, not lined version. I thought I wouldn't care but the all smooth surface makes the thing too damn slippery.

Wow, it sounds like you didn't have the best experience. I'm sorry to hear that.

Your post was a little light on details and there are several possible causes. I'm just going to list off a couple of things that come to mind.

1) Pressing too hard. Seriously, you may think you're using a light touch. Make it lighter still.
2) Angle. If your angle is too shallow, you'll just end up scraping your face. If it's too deep, you may nick yourself or on flatter areas do little more than rub the top of the razor over your skin and remove very little of the whiskers.
3) The way you're holding the razor. You may find it helpful to hold the razor with your thumb and forefinger just beneath the head. This helps both with angle and pressure. It will also help you with the slippery nature of your particular razor.
4) It could be the blade. Like the poster beneath you alluded, blades that work for some, may not work for others.

One thing I enjoy about using single edge safety razors is that there is much less a variety of blades. It seems counterintuitive but with only 3 or 4 blade types commonly available, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding the blade for you.

You may be interested in something like this 100 blade variety pack for $22.00. I hope I haven't included a referral code. I can't really figure out Amazon's link format. I bought one very similar but a bit more expensive when I first bought my DE. Packs like these allow you to get cover the spectrum of blades on the cheap.

edit: I dug through my order history and found the pack I originally ordered. 105 Best Blade Sampler Feather Shark Astra Bluebird Lord. It's more expensive, at $36.95, and there's also no prime on this one, but it has a better, more diverse sampling of blades.

105 of the best Continental Blades in the market These are brand NEW Double Edge Razor Blades 21 DIFFERENT BLADES: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 BLUEBIRD (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 Super-Max Platinum (India) 5 Super-Max Stainless (India) 5 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 GOAL Stainless (India) 5 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Russia) 5 LORD Super Chrome (Egypt) 5 LORD Super Stainless Classic (Egypt) 5 LORD Platinum Class (Egypt) 5 LORD Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 SHARK Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 SHARK Super Chrome(Egypt) 5 CROWN Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 ASCO Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 BIGBEN Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 DERBY(Turkey) 5 TREET Platinum (Pakistan) Highest quality blades made to fit different double edge safety razors like Merkur, Parker, Feather, Weishi and Wilkinson Sword...

clav

Thanks for that. I think I need to work on my technique or get a better razor base as I'm using a cheap one here.

The way I shave now requires more than three passes in areas above and below the lip and the chin. I don't know if there's a secret to shave this area in three passes as I require like six to eight with my current setup.

The Dorco blade is really forgiving, so I only get cuts if I go with a bad technique of pushing down on the skin.

What's a decent base razor that's more expensive than the $5-$10 ones? I know people mention Merkur a lot, but is there a specific model?

I'll repost some things from the other thread.

If you want to dip your toe into the straight-razor waters without a lot of expense, try the DOVO Shavette. It's a straight-razor handle that takes disposable razor blades. It's what a barber typically uses for straight-razor shaves these days. I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Get the different-sized blade holders so you can try the different styles.

yp2G1.jpg

I use C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream. It's just re-branded Proraso. I put a few dabs around my face and use a $13 Tweezerman badger brush to work it into a lather.

This is also an alum block, and a bit cheaper and easier to find.

mK81s.jpg

I use witch hazel after. It's a very mild astringent and I don't find it drying.

Jake.

west coast shaving is the best store by a mile (and this is coming from an international customer) - i always get my shit from there.

Sye d'Burns

Thanks for that. I think I need to work on my technique or get a better razor base as I'm using a cheap one here.

The way I shave now requires more than 3 passes especially in areas above and below the lip and the chin. I don't know if there's a secret to shave this area in 3 passes.

What's a decent base razor that's more expensive than the $5-$10 ones? I know people mention Merkur a lot, but is there a specific model?

I'm not the one to ask about new razors. With the exception of the Merkur Slant, I've gone entirely vintage. Most people here go for the Merkur Classics or HDs and by all the accounts I've read, those are solid razors. The Slant is decades newer than my other razors. I love it but it is a little more extreme than the recommended Merkurs.

WMx0K.jpg

Sye d'Burns

Are there any razors that come in a case?

Are there travel cases for razors that don't have them?

Probably? If you travel a lot you'll surely want to buy a shaving kit bag anyway. You've got soap, brush et al. to bring along as well. Of course, you'll likely need to figure out an alternate plan to move those blades from point A to point B unless you intend to check that bag.

Don't worry about an individual case.

Sye d'Burns

What vintage razor are you using? I might be looking at buying a Gillette Fatboy during the year... What do you think of those?

I like both the fatboy and the slim equally. Fatboys tend to be a little hotter on eBay so expect to pay a bit more to go that route. The handle dimensions are pretty much the only difference. In my opinion, they shave the same, or close enough to the same to not be an issue. Usually, I will start out at a mid-level and bring dial the razor closer for repeat passes.

Although I discovered single edge razors later, I much prefer them and they are my typical daily shave. The Gems are fantastic shaves. Keep a Gem in mind for when you're feeling adventurous. You've given me a great lead-in to port this post over:

I had always hated shaving due to the same types of issues the OP describes. I ultimately went the beardGAF route and kept either a goatee or full on beard for most of the last ten years.

Around a year ago, I had decided that I was done with wearing a beard and I shaved it off. I had a few Mach3 blades in the cabinet and I reveled in how much younger I looked until I had gone through my last blade.

My wife was at the store and was asking me which blades to get. I was completely floored by the price and decided to check if they were cheaper on Amazon. 30 dollars for 8 fusion blades is insane. Absolute insanity.

So I started looking around Amazon and I saw some of the Merkur razors and I was sold. Although, I went a slightly different route. While reading about safety razors, I figured I'd see what I could find on eBay. Don't discount eBay people. You can get a well made Gillette that will shave just as well as a new safety razor for much, much less.

In short order I had a cabinet of Gillette Techs, Super Speeds and even a Slim and a Fatboy (adjustables) when I ended up with a Gem 1912 in an group of three razors.

Stilllife07-1-1.jpg

Now, if double edge safety razors had been my previous nirvana, I had finally reached Shangri-La with the Gem 1912. The single edge blades, which you can get in a 10 pack for 5 dollars in the shaving section at Walgreens, shave so much better for me. Since that time, I have added a Gem Demaskeene, Gem Micromatic (open comb), Gem G Bar among others I can't speak highly enough about how well these razors shave.

Gem G Bar
IMG_8407.jpg

Gem Demaskeene
DSCI0574.jpg

Gem Open Comb Micromatic
IMG_5703.jpg

The rest of the start up costs can be just as cheap. Get a tube of Proraso for $11 and an Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush for $14. After an initial cost of not much more than those 8 fusion blades, you can now enjoy a lifetime of cheap shaving.

For the record, though I own the razors, three of the four pictures above are examples from google.

Heel

Awesome, I've been looking to dive in to wet shaving.

Did some research and a lot of people are saying the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great alternative to the Merkurs. Has anyone tried both and can compare? And I guess the Muhle R89 is the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89, but with a different, possibly less slippery handle. A little more expensive too. Looks great, though!

Edwin Jagger DE89
DE89L.jpg

Muhle R89
muhleR8912.jpg

Sye d'Burns

Any tips for shaving the upper/lower lip and chin?

Those seem to be the most problematic for me.

Those are the most problematic areas for everyone. Don't worry there.
Honestly, the best you can do is to make sure you hold your angle. Keep your wrist firm and make the motion with your arm. Pull your skin taught. Make silly faces, use your fingers, whatever works and let the razor's weight do the cutting. You'll get a method down with a little practice. Just keep trying.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Subscribed. I'm a wet shaver and i suck at it, Although i'm not *that* bad.

I'm currently using a merk HD, Derby blades, simpson badger brush and geo f cream.

I can't seem to make lather to save my life, Still working on that.

clav

Did some research and a lot of people are saying the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great alternative to the Merkurs. Has anyone tried both and can compare? And I guess the Muhle R89 is the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89, but with a different, possibly less slippery handle. A little more expensive too. Looks great, though!

Edwin Jagger DE89
http://www.doubleedgerazor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DE89L.jpg

Muhle R89
http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/images/muhleR8912.jpg

I may buy one of the Edwins. I see there are two versions on Amazon though.

One model has an one more 'l' compared to the other one.

edit: looks like the difference is the texturing of the handle.

BL means it comes with blades so essentially the models are DE89 and DE89L.

Heel

I may buy one of the Edwins. I see there are two versions on Amazon though.

One model has an one more 'l' compared to the other one.

edit: looks like the difference is the texturing of the handle.

BL means it comes with blades so essentially you're just comparing DE89 and DE89L.

I guess the story is the Edwin/Muhle 89's are a little less "aggressive" than the Merkur HD. Might be a better idea for a beginner or someone with sensitive skin. I have no idea myself though, never used a safety razor. Just what I've gathered from the net.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/241475-First-DE-Merkur-HD-or-Edwin-Jagger-DE89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXojYrLhVA

Then it comes down to what kind of handle you want on the 89 head. Reading that the Edwin handle is lighter than the Muhle. You can also get the Muhle in a "grande" version, with a thicker handle that's closer to a Fusion if that's what you're used to.

Choices, choices...anyone with input I'd be glad to hear it.

clav

From what I've experienced, aggressiveness is usually measured by the blade although more experienced DE users pair blades and razors together to describe aggressiveness.

As for razors, I'm looking for a better one now. A cheapo one ($5-$10) might be ruining my safety razor experiences.

zap

What is the cheapest place to get a safety razor for international customers?

I'm looking at getting into wet shaving and I don't want to spend too much.

Now that's a great thread. Since I started having a full beard, I only ever shave to trim it. But for those that suffer from dry skin and irritation around the chin and neck after shaving, I can highly recommend the standard Nivea After Shave Balsam. It works wonders on my skin.

I've been on the lookout for a new Razor for quite some time. Given that I used to be able to buy cartridges for my Gilette extremely cheap for some time now, I never thought about using a safety blade. But given that a set of new cartridges would set me back almost 40 Euros now, I've said fuck it and thanks to this thread I have a good sample on where to start.

As for the creme/soap, I got a tube of handmade shaving soap and a brush as a present. It's from Bodyshop, and it's great. The foam has a bit too much perfume in it for my liking, but it get's its job done and softens the hair extremely, making pre shave procedures unnecessary for me.

I've taken to dry shaving. I'll use an electric shaver then a disposable razor to finish where that doesn't quite cut it (mostly my neck), which I then rinse out by swishing it around in some water. Works fine enough in view of the convenience and my skin adjusted to it so it doesn't get irritated.

When you say disposable I think of this shit from Gillette

XKBey.jpg

Feels like it's pulling out each hair one by one.
LLShC.gif

satriales

I bought that Edwin Jagger about 6 months ago as my first safety razor. I love it, and never had any problems with it slipping out of my hand so I wouldn't worry about that.

I only need a gillette razor right after taking a shower. Shaving cream is unnecessary.
Same, but I do it during the shower. No cream, no aftershave, no problems. (Mach 3)

I shave my head too, only difference is for the skull I use some shower gel to make it a bit smoother.

I don't understand all those extra products you can get but maybe I'm just lucky with my skin type.

Kosmo

Banned
I think I'm going to give this a go - leaning toward the Merkur HD I guess...? Can someone dumb it down for me and link me to exactly what I need on Amazon? I'm guessing:

Razor (duh)
Blades (Merkur are like $6 for a 10 pack)
Brush
Bowl?
Recommended shave cream/powder (don't care on scent, I guess I like that "Babershop" type smell)

santouras

Have been double edge razor shaving for a few years now, could never go back to disposable cartridge crap. I really want to get into straight edge shaving but thinking I'll have to wait a little to save up for a nice kit.

DasRaven

I think I'm going to give this a go - leaning toward the Merkur HD I guess...? Can someone dumb it down for me and link me to exactly what I need on Amazon? I'm guessing:

Razor (duh)
Blades (Merkur are like $6 for a 10 pack)
Brush
Bowl?
Recommended shave cream/powder (don't care on scent, I guess I like that "Babershop" type smell)

Razor+Blades $36/Prime
Brush+Bowl+Cream $20/Prime

This is where I started 3 years ago and once you fall in love with it, then upgrade.

Top Bottom