• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

I just recently started down this path and I freakin' love it. My current stuff includes:

Merkur safety razor
Feather blades
Badger brush
Proraso bowl

Many people advise to stay away from feather blades when you're starting out because of just how sharp they are. Well I figured that's exactly what I needed considering my beard is like reinforced steel. I would tear those Gillette cartridges up in almost no time at all. I have to say it was the right choice for me. I haven't suffered a single nick and I get a really nice feeling shave from those blades. Now granted, I do usually make 3 passes. (with the grain, across the grain, and then against the grain) This is the only way I can get my face perfectly smooth.

I'm very glad I switched to this method. The initial price of entry can appear to be a little steep, but you'll be saving a lot of money in the long run. The blades are super cheap and, while the cream may be a tiny bit more expensive, it will definitely last longer.

I highly recommend going this route.

Esch

Banned
Subscribed. I'm a wet shaver and i suck at it, Although i'm not *that* bad.

I'm currently using a merk HD, Derby blades, simpson badger brush and geo f cream.

I can't seem to make lather to save my life, Still working on that.

Just make more strokes and control your added water better. only a nickel's worth of soap, remember.

Thanks. I think I'm going to look for a Badger bristle - this one looks like it's a Boar from reviews.

Any thoughts on that 180 long handle you link and the HD?

I'm using a 180 long handle and its perfect for me. In a coupla years when i have the income i might move to a merkur progress because it's supposed to be incredible, but the long handle is fine for now.

Anybody use wet shaving to shave their head?

I shave my head every two days. I'm not completely dissatisfied with disposable razors, but I do get sick of paying for them.

Also, can you wet shave in the shower?

Kreed

One of my friends bought me a Merkur DE razor for Christmas with some blades. Easily the best present I got for Christmas. Prior to the DE razor I was using "razor less" creams/powders, which was "ok" but it was way more time consuming and expensive, plus it isn't nearly as enjoyable as shaving with the DE razor. It's too bad someone hadn't told me about these blades/razors sooner.

Anybody use wet shaving to shave their head?

I shave my head every two days. I'm not completely dissatisfied with disposable razors, but I do get sick of paying for them.

Also, can you wet shave in the shower?
I do this and I use a Mach 3. In the shower too.
I just use shower gel for shaving cream.

Esch

Banned
Don't think you can wetshave in the shower unless you have a no fog mirror or you're a ninja. It's a focus/precision game.

Just do it after showering. The point is to take your time.

Don't think you can wetshave in the shower unless you have a no fog mirror or you're a ninja.
Bullshit. You don't actually need a mirror for shaving unless you have groovy moustache or beard patterns, but if you do you can leave the details for when you leave the shower.

After the military, I really needed a different shaving routine. Shaving every day (sometimes twice for a dickhead staff/officer) really made my face raw all the time. Came across shaveblog (defunct) on MSNBC and made the switch. Never going back.

Check out the Shaveblog videos on youtube. There's some good stuff in there.

I'm going to give Tend Skin a shot. I've also been using personna blades for a while but am looking for a switch. Probably going to try Feather. Any reason not too? I only get irritated at the bottom of my neck.

Esch

Banned
Bullshit. You don't actually need a mirror for shaving unless you have groovy moustache or beard patterns, but if you do you can leave the details for when you leave the shower.

Well i'm just trying to imagine building lather, soap, and using the brush in the shower without fucking up everywhere. Seems hard as hell.

Sye d'Burns

From what I've experienced, aggressiveness is usually measured by the blade although more experienced DE users pair blades and razors together to describe aggressiveness.

As for razors, I'm looking for a better one now. A cheapo one ($5-$10) might be ruining my safety razor experiences.

I suppose that you could say blades are more or less aggressive but it would pretty much just be another way of saying how sharp or not sharp a blade is.

Take a look at the Merkur slant once more.

WMx0K.jpg

Notice the gap beneath where the blade would sit? It is small on one end and wider on the opposite. What makes a razor aggressive is the gap beneath the blade. The wider the gap, the more easily one can cut his face. The logic follows that, with due care, this allows for a closer shave and some people firmly believe that.

Personally, I can get perfectly fine shaves from a Tech, which is considered mild on the spectrum and I can get very good shaves as well from an open comb micromatic or the Slant, which is considered very aggressive. I find that on a daily basis, a more aggressive razor works better for me. One needs the user to exercise a bit more caution than the other. I'm not sure why this would be unless the extra care forces me to pay more attention to my shave, which is likely.

Esch

Banned
Well I suppose that would be true. Never used any of that except lather, but it proved useless to me.

Well, that's what a wetshave is. Get a shaving soap, build your lather using a brush and bowl, apply to face, and then reduce your beard with 1-3 passes(preferably with a safety razor or straight). Way better than a multiblade and gel.

Question for you guys: I have proraso shaving soap and a badger hair brush, but I'm never sure what the best way to soap up the brush is...I've been soaking the brush in hot water and then just swirling it around right in the can. Is there a different way to do it?
I didn't see anyone answer this yet, so I'll let you know what I do and see if it works for you. I'm currently using Colonel Conk's Bay Rum soap, but I imagine the technique works with any of the shaving soaps. I adapted this from a post on the B&B forums and so far I have been making great lather with my soap.

1. Before getting in the shower I'll leave my brush soaking in a mug of hot water. I also put about a tablespoon of hot water on top of the soap to soften it up. Just enough to cover the surface.
2. After showering I shake my brush out 3 or 4 times, then give it a light squeeze to get almost all of the water out. You want the brush fairly dry so it picks up the soap without starting to create lather on the soap itself.
3. Then I dump the water from the top of the soap into my lather bowl and start to work the brush into the softened soap puck. Work the brush thoroughly into the soap, I use a good amount of pressure and a swirling motion. I do this for about 1 minute. If the soap foams up too much, your brush is too wet.
4. Once you start to feel the brush drag on the surface of the soap, it should be good. There should be a thick coating of soap on the ends, sides, and going down into the brush. Then build the lather in your bowl as usual, adding a little water if necessary.

I am currently using a Merkur 34C razor, Feather blades, Colonel Conk's Bay Rum Soap, and Mama Bear's Vanilla Sandalwood aftershave balm. I can't believe what I've been missing using a cartridge razor all these years!

Sye d'Burns

Question for you guys: I have proraso shaving soap and a badger hair brush, but I'm never sure what the best way to soap up the brush is...I've been soaking the brush in hot water and then just swirling it around right in the can. Is there a different way to do it?

When I use a soap, I drop two or three drops of water on the soap and let it sit as my brush soaks. Using a couple of drops helps to soften the soap just enough that you aren't wasteful when you take your brush to it.

What works for me is, when I have a well soaked brush, taking it from my shaving cup and gving it one good flick into the sink, followed by a small flick. The brush is then no longer dripping. It's much easier to add a drop of water as you make lather than it is to take too much water out.

When you're whipping a lather, be careful to have the bristles only lightly brush the cup, bowl, face, etc. Light strokes, Up, down, side to side, wax on wax off work well. Also, be careful to minimize circular motions.

If you press the brush to hard or make a lot of circular motions, you will end up twisting and damaging the bristles.

Sye d'Burns

So what's the deal, are all safety razor blades the same size? Any blade will work?

Yes and no.

When speaking of safety razors, all double edge blades are standard size for double edge safety razors. All single edge blades for use with single edge razors are the same size. Injector razors all have a standard size as well.

Unless you find some rare old razor out there which doesn't fit the three categories above, the blade sizes are standard for each type of razor.

J-Roderton

Nice. I've been looking into this for a bit but just forgot over time. Looks like I'll be ordering a razor, probably tonight.

I can't exactly spend a lot, but I found a Lord on Amazon. It's around $12. Is that any good. Seems to have alright reviews, though.

Sye d'Burns

Nice. I've been looking into this for a bit but just forgot over time. Looks like I'll be ordering a razor, probably tonight.

I can't exactly spend a lot, but I found a Lord on Amazon. It's around $12. Is that any good. Seems to have alright reviews, though.

I'm afraid I can't vouch for Lords. I've read both good and bad about them. It's really down to what you can afford.

If I could make a suggestion: If your funds are really this limited, you would make a fine candidate for a vintage razor. You can easily get a good Tech or Super Speed for between 10-20 dollars including shipping. I would try either eBay or the Buy/Sell/Trade thread on Badger & Blade.

The BST on B&B is top notch. Lots of users clean out their "shaving dens" and sell excess razors/blades/brushes/etc for very reasonable prices. I've bought from users there 7 or 8 times and have yet to have a bad experience.

An alcohol/barbicide bath and some scrubbin' bubbles later, you would likely have a very nice razor. One nice thing about B&B, a lot of the polishing up of the razor will likely be done for you, where as with eBay you often get what was pulled out of a drawer in an estate sale.

Sye d'Burns

Many thanks.

Anytime!

I ordered everything except a bowl, how do you lather on your face?

It's not so hard really. If you are using an Arko stick, you apply the soap directly to your face. Otherwise, you apply the soap or cream to the end of your brush and just begin making motions (up down side side, etc) on your face. If the soap is pasty, spritz some drops of water onto your face and continue. If it's bubbly, you have too much water in your brush.

Keep in mind you can use any old bowl or coffee cup from the kitchen or you can pick up a bowl or coffee cup to use expressly for shaving in Target etc

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Been wet shaving for 4 years now. Best hygienic descision I've made in that time.

Second best decision was to incorporate this into my regiment:

41rJrgYws9L._SS500_.jpg

Dealt with my ingrown hair and razor bump problem like nothing else.

Third best decision was to look up a DIY formula on the Internet to make it even better and much cheaper.

I think you meant regimen ;)

Kosmo

Banned
I'm in. Just ordered:

Merkur 43C aka 178
Tweezerman badger brush (was only $12.95, I'm expecting it to fall apart, LOL)
Proraso soap

Detox

Thanks for the tips and video guys. Watching Mantic's videos he said the feathers are for advanced wet shaving ninjas, I got the feather blades...

Sye d'Burns

Outside of some mild initial shedding, I've had no troubles out of the Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush which goes for $13.95 on Amazon. It was my first brush and I used it exclusively for 3 or so months before I bought a 2nd and later 3rd brush. It still gets used regularly. Once you get rid of the badger odor and that initial shedding is out of the way, it's a solid brush. I've never used a tweezerman but the Escali is comparably priced. It may be worth consideration as an alternative.

zero_suit

Outside of some mild initial shedding, I've had no troubles out of the Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush which goes for $13.95 on Amazon. It was my first brush and I used it exclusively for 3 or so months before I bought a 2nd and later 3rd brush. It still gets used regularly. Once you get rid of the badger odor and that initial shedding is out of the way, it's a solid brush. I've never used a tweezerman but the Escali is comparably priced. It may be worth consideration as an alternative.

Yeah, I've had the Escali brush for almost two months, and I haven't seen any shedding after the first week of use.

DasRaven

I'm in. Just ordered:

Merkur 43C aka 178
Tweezerman badger brush (was only $12.95, I'm expecting it to fall apart, LOL)
Proraso soap

Good luck, start slow, and enjoy yourself.

The best part of starting is learning the technique and upgrading equipment over time.

Kosmo

Banned

What is this!?

Jasup

It's my time to contribute I think. I've been wet shaving for a few years properly now. So this is my shaving set:
150220121145yuih.jpg

My first and only razor is the Mühle R89, I've never had an urge to try anything else - it gives a fantastic shave easily. The brush is also from Mühle (fine badger).

I use LORD blades I buy from my local shop, and rotate the shaving cream. My favourite is the Geo F. Trumper Rose, but Mühle's Sea Buckthorn is the second choice I seem to come back to every now and then. I use Proraso cream only during summer months.

kaskade

I just bought some bowl soap boar brush thing from the drugstore for like 10 bucks and cheap aftershave. I'll upgrade to some better stuff in the future. I just want to actually learn how to do it first.

Character actor/comedian Larry Miller has been talking a lot about wet shaving over the last few weeks on his podcast.

Larry is a very old-school kind of guy--works a pretty clean style of stand-up, likes vintage stuff, drinks like it's the 40s, ect., and apparently one of his listeners is a real aficionado of this style of shaving and sent him a whole kit, so he's been learning.

This Week With Larry Miller Blog

iTunes link to This Week With Larry Miller Podcast

Boom. Best shave cream ever.

Zciv6.jpg

Slightly more expensive, but it takes me anywhere from 6-8 months to go through one tub. Smells great, doesn't dry out your skin - totally worth it.

I'm using their ultimate comfort shaving cream and it's definitely better than the soaps I've tried (C&E sandalwood and Cade). It says unscented but it actually has a really nice lavender scent. Not strong, but noticeable.

Jasup

What is this!?

Badger hair brushes tend to smell horrible during the first uses. It's like rubbing a wet dog onto your face. My rule of thumb is to never use a fresh brush on your face, you have to clean it first. Use your shaving soap or cream, make a proper lather with your new brush and let it sit for a while with the lather on. Rinse and repeat after you can tolerate the wet brush smell, then use it normally.

After a few weeks of use the horrid smell will go away completely.

ShaneB

I was wondering when this thread would show, and apparently I missed it going up!:) It means a lot to have my thread be in the resources as well, glad I contributed by at least asking for help and bringing this topic to the forefront again.

I'm still learning, and need to improve technique here and there, but I can easily say I love shaving now. Still need to get experimenting with various products as well and see what works best for my extremely fickle skin. Just getting technique down is still my main priority. Working my chin area is still the biggest pain in the butt, feels like I'm still pulling on the hair.

Can't be mentioned enough how different products work for different people, but I'm baffled at how many years I went without feeling like I had a great shave. Never again will I touch an electric razor.

Always appreciate seeing others learn alongside with me, so keep the posts coming!

Kosmo

Banned
How long do blades typically last? Is it something I should change once a week, etc? Tips on extending the longevity?

Sye d'Burns

How long do blades typically last? Is it something I should change once a week, etc? Tips on extending the longevity?

Typically 3-4 shaves for most of the blades I've tried. There may be some possibility of extending those shaves by 1 or more by stropping the blade but I've not seen the purpose.

I was wondering when this thread would show, and apparently I missed it going up!:) It means a lot to have my thread be in the resources as well, glad I contributed by at least asking for help and bringing this topic to the forefront again.

I'm still learning, and need to improve technique here and there, but I can easily say I love shaving now. Still need to get experimenting with various products as well and see what works best for my extremely fickle skin. Just getting technique down is still my main priority. Working my chin area is still the biggest pain in the butt, feels like I'm still pulling on the hair.

Can't be mentioned enough how different products work for different people, but I'm baffled at how many years I went without feeling like I had a great shave. Never again will I touch an electric razor.

Always appreciate seeing others learn alongside with me, so keep the posts coming!

This is definitely one hobby that has benefited from the internet. Imagine being stuck with whichever blade/soap and the sole brush which is carried by your everyday store. The internet has opened up the gamut of options to try and no shortage of opinion. Fantastic when you think of it.

I just dumped my Hydro 5 for getting into this. Previously I was using electric and my face was usually shredded.

So far I like it. I've done two shaves so far with little issue - much less than I was expecting.

I went on Amazon and got a Merkur DE long handled safety razor, a badger brush, stand, and Proraso ultra sensitive soap. Also picked up some Nivea aftershave balm from the local supermarket. The razor came with a pack of 10 blades. Not sure how I will like them once the Merkur blade goes, but if I don't like them, I'll look at some other brands.

I like it so far, less irritation than the Hydro 5(which wasn't too bad with me). But the cost savings should be welcome.

J-Roderton

I just bought some bowl soap boar brush thing from the drugstore for like 10 bucks and cheap aftershave. I'll upgrade to some better stuff in the future. I just want to actually learn how to do it first.

I just did the same. I'm starting with rather cheap stuff. I got a boar brush for now.

Fou-Lu

I have soap and a brush, plan on ordering a Merkur HD, a sampler pack and possibly an alum block to try out. I've had such a horrible experience with shaving so far in my life, so I'm really hoping for an improvement now.

DonCuco

As I've stated before, I've been wet shaving for 5 + years now and I love it. A couple of weeks ago I ordered the Merkur Futur and I love it. Use feather blades, badger brush, and I rotate my soaps from Mitchell's Wool Fat , and Vito's. Both are great.

MK_1003_detail.jpg

G-Pink

I feel like I should add, after reading the OP, that shaving against the grain is a very bad idea. Sure, you'll get a slightly closer shave by scraping the hair at a different angle than it grows, but you risk cutting the hair so short the tip will be under the skin, and you'll get terrible ingrown hairs. Whenever I see commercials where guys shave up from their neck to the tip of their chin, I cringe. If you don't find a first pass to be as close as you'd like going with the grain, it's often better to re-lather, and go over your face again, then risk sub-dermal hairs.

clav

I feel like I should add, after reading the OP, that shaving against the grain is a very bad idea. Sure, you'll get a slightly closer shave by scraping the hair at a different angle than it grows, but you risk cutting the hair so short the tip will be under the skin, and you'll get terrible ingrown hairs. Whenever I see commercials where guys shave up from their neck to the tip of their chin, I cringe. If you don't find a first pass to be as close as you'd like going with the grain, it's often better to re-lather, and go over your face again, then risk sub-dermal hairs.

I don't have a problem with it for some reason although that varies for each person.

I find myself getting ingrown hairs with electric razors.

With wet DE shaving, I do not have that problem.

Giard

Yeah, that's why I added "if your skin can take it". I've shaven against the grain my whole life and I've never gotten any ingrown hairs. I guess I'll make it clearer, gimme a minute.

Shaving against the grain can work. I think it just comes down to the person. Some people can shave against the grain with no problems and others cannot.

Giard

BTW, if anybody could recommend razor brands, please do so and I'll add them to the OP. I'm not very knowledgeable about those.

Top Bottom