• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What after FF XV in this gen? FF XV-2 / XV-3 or FF XVI?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd rather FF not continue to be placed in the false moniker of future and past fantasies, when really none of them save the initial three have homogeneous settings. I'd like them to do the idea Agni's philosophy is going about.

You mean Agni's Philosophy is possibly the next Midgar?

I'm going to guess it'll be FF15-2 and FF15-3 (hopefully with more budget and effort than the 13 sequels) with FF16 creeping in towards the end of the generation.

Koozek

That's what Tabata wants.

If it comes to pass, I'll be okay with it. Type-0 is great.

I do wonder if the Type series will be on consoles or handhelds though.
Tabata recently talked about how he would want the Type series to continue on consoles, IIRC. I'll see if I can find the interview.

Nomura says there will be 3 story arcs, hence 3 games in the Final Fantasy XV series.
They said that plan was scrapped, and Tabata did say there was no plans for sequels nor DLC for FFXV ("currently", of course).

So I doubt if we have a sequel it'll be anything like the original plans.

Tabata recently talked about how he would want the Type series to continue on consoles, IIRC. I'll see if I can find the interview.

Tabata says what he wants, but not necessarily that SE would be willing to give him the budget for a AAA FF game (those are expensive these days). Specially since he already said the Type series was where they could experiment and take more risks than mainline games.

TuXx

Please no sequels to XV.

The sequels in XIII made the story convoluted and ended up hurting Square's brand. I don't want to see XV go down that same route.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What?

No, I'm pretty sure Agni's Philosophy is Utopia and Slums juxtaposition, not Dirty Cyberpunk

I meant in the fan's eyes. Seeing how much success the direction FF7's cities had. The image alone sets everything in place. Agni's Philosophy has that appeal to it. You aren't necessarily running at the gates to get out, but to be consumed by your surroundings.

neptunes

The Last Remnant 2

But if we are talking FF, I'd love to see XVI, like the good old times no matter how good or bad XV turns out to be, the next one will have a new world, new character, new story, new gameplay mechanics,etc

But lets be realistic:
-If XV is a sucess then they will want to get as much money from it as they can and they will have a big fanbase that will buy anything with Noctis on it. So FFXV-2 ,FFXV-3, Lightning meets Noctis: FFXV

-If XV is recieved like XIII they will still want to profit more from the assets they just spent the last 9 years working on so FFXV-2 FFXV-3, FFXV, Lightning meets Noctis: FFXV

The only scenario in which I see them giving up on FFXV if it's an absolute failure in terms of sales. But come on, we have tons of people buying a PSP remaster for $60 just to get a demo. It will obviously sell a lot
But have they REALLY been working what we're currently seeing, for the past 9 years?
Seems more like 9 years of severe project mismanagement and planning.
No amount of sequels or spinoffs can recoup the loss of time and resources incurred during that time.

Hopefully they've learned what and what not do with with their upcoming premier titles.

jiggle

I'm talking about the actual remake that is apparently in works as part of a new FFVII compilation consisting of several smaller projects with the remake at the core, according to Verendus. See:
Didn't see that post before
Interesting
sounds like nomura still plays a pretty big role in SE still
Good
Was afraid he got sakaguchied

zennyzz

I meant in the fan's eyes. Seeing how much success the direction FF7's cities had. The image alone sets everything in place. Agni's Philosophy has that appeal to it. You aren't necessarily running at the gates to get out, but to be consumed by your surroundings.

FF7 cities were popular?

I've heard fans gush over FF8's esthar and Fisherman's Horizon. Or Alexandria, Lindblum and Burmecia in FF9.

Never come across folks with that much enthusiasm for any other place in FF7 beyond Midgar.

well no, I suppose gold saucer too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
FF7 cities were popular?

I've heard fans gush over FF8's esthar and Fisherman's Horizon. Or Alexandria, Lindblum and Burmecia in FF9.

Never come across folks with that much enthusiasm for any other place in FF7 beyond Midgar.

Hometowns were very well made. Cid, Red XIII's, and Nibelheim. Nibelheim appearing later on as well. 8's world was exceptional, but I guess with the spinoffs to FF7 I was more involved or immersed by it. From Vincent down to Genesis.

Pagusas

Elden Member
FF7 cities were popular?

well no, I suppose gold saucer too.

Huh? Are you kidding? Midgar, Gold Saucer, Junon, Cosmo Canyon, costa del sol, Rocket Town and Nibelheim, all amazing. Not counting the smaller areas but I love them just as much. I wish we'd go back to this art style. Please square go back to steam/cyberpunk look for the next FF.

Please no more sequels :(

koutoru

I think Nomura himself said that he already had ideas for other games based in the FFXV universe("A World of the Versus Epic"?).
So I think, especially with all the assets that have been created for XV, that they'll be making sequels before going to XVI.

They might even incorporate some of the stuff from Agni's Philosophy in the sequels.

Depends how ends ff XV , I really hope they release FFVXI and go back to old FF enviroments like FFVI and not just copy Persona series as it seems with FFXV , I do not blame SE since Persona has been a success but they should keep FF identity
Wow, Final Fantasy XV must have changed drastically since the last time I saw it.

Alebrije

Depends how ends ff XV , I really hope they release FFVXI and go back to old FF enviroments like FFVI and not just copy Persona series as it seems with FFXV , I do not blame SE since Persona has been a success but they should keep FF identity

wmlk

Persona and FFXV aren't remotely similar lol.

Versus XIII was conceptualized before Persona was even popular.

zennyzz

Hometowns were very done very well. Cid, Red XIII's, and Nibelheim. Nibelheim appearing later on as well. 8's world was exceptional, but I guess with the spinoffs to FF7 I was more involved or immersed by it. From Vincent down to Genesis.

Cid's Hometown was a house and a rocket. Nibelheim was barely different visually from Kalm or really any of the other small towns which all kinda looked like tiny villages from the alps. Cosm Canyon was a Canyon

I just don't think any of the locales from FF7 had any real visual oomph save the really big locations, read the cities. A lot of it was Windhill from FF8 scattered here and there with a few interesting set pieces in the reactors.

AESplusF

Well whatever they have in the works for Final Fantasy XVI might have been originally planned as XV so it might be further along than we expect.

please Ito.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Cid's Hometown was a house and a rocket. Nibelheim was barely different visually from Kalm or really any of the other small towns which all kinda looked like tiny villages from the alps. Cosm Canyon was a Canyon

I just don't think any of the locales from FF7 had any real visual oomph save the really big locations, read the cities. A lot of it was Windhill from FF8 scattered here and there with a few interesting set pieces in the reactors.

The sum of those parts. A village isn't necessarily called a city either, but I like to think of the robustness of it all. I include it because it's a set local or a place. It's like arriving to a town that ends up being a small village. You're assuming A. I can buy stuff or B. there's some sort of governing power somewhere.

A town isn't a village, but it's not a city. It's a small town or a little city.

Corgi

Banned
woah woah woah there. Let's first get a release date for ff15 before we start dreaming about the next game.

zennyzz

The sum of those parts. A village isn't necessarily called a city either, but I like to think of the robustness of it all. I include it because it's a set local or a place. It's like arriving to a town that ends up being a small village. You're assuming A. I can buy stuff or B. there's some sort of governing power somewhere.

Eh, i just never felt real aesthetic attachment to those places.

Emotional is another story, but i felt further FF's really well defined locational beauty after FF7.

Eh, i just never felt real aesthetic attachment to those places.

Emotional is another story, but i felt further FF's really well defined locational beauty after FF7.
FF7 showed a lot of broken, dirty places as opposed to purely beautiful ones, and I think it did that fantastically. Of course you have some stunning architecture, like the Forgotten Capital too.

zennyzz

FF7 showed a lot of broken, dirty places as opposed to purely beautiful ones, and I think it did that fantastically. Of course you have some stunning architecture, like the Forgotten Capital too.

Like I said, it does Dirty Cyberpunk very well. But it's grandiose set pieces are kinda eclipsed by its subsequent followers.

I think Nomura himself said that he already had ideas for other games based in the FFXV universe("A World of the Versus Epic"?).
So I think, especially with all the assets that have been created for XV, that they'll be making sequels before going to XVI.

They might even incorporate some of the stuff from Agni's Philosophy in the sequels.
I'm pretty sure they really didn't have much in thought regarding AP's story. It was likely just scraped together in a similar manner as the initial Versus trailer(which was before they even had a firm grasp on the story's entirety). Basically a situation where a team manager has his guys brainstorming ideas for a possible FF game, lots of fast talking and finger snapping("I got it!"). If you're imaginative, that's a EASY thing to do, a shallow basis or gist of an idea. That's probably how FFXV(when it was Versus) came about, with Nomura saying, "Yeah, okay, got this idea! Guy dressed in black stand atop a staircase, looking down at an army of knights wielding guns. This guy, the protagonist, has swords flying around him... yeah, that sounds awesome!".

Fbh

But have they REALLY been working what we're currently seeing, for the past 9 years?
Seems more like 9 years of severe project mismanagement and planning.
No amount of sequels or spinoffs can recoup the loss of time and resources incurred during that time.

Hopefully they've learned what and what not do with with their upcoming premier titles.

Either way, they will want to make as much as they can from it.

Same reason why XIII got not 1 but 2 sequels despite being one of the most disliked and worst recieved mainline games in the franchise

But to be honest here, Previews sound positive and I'm seeing a lot of excitement surrounding this game so I'm more inclined to think it will be a success and they will want to milk it and recycle it as much as they can. It already seems to be a bigger group of diehard fans than XIII, the other day I made a "they look like a boy band" joke in another thread some guy acted as if I had just offended his favorite game of all time or something

zennyzz

Either way, they will want to make as much as they can from it.

Same reason why XIII got not 1 but 2 sequels despite being one of the most disliked and worst recieved mainline games in the franchise

That's not what sales or japan says

neptunes

the reason they did so is somewhat related to Versus, and S-E incompetence as a whole.

If S-E wasn't mismanaged they could have created the development engine they had originally envisioned, they might have been able to release an original FF last gen that wasn't a sequel.I feel like SE is in a better placement development-wise than they were 9 years ago.

woah woah woah there. Let's first get a release date for ff15 before we start dreaming about the next game.

b..bu.but they announced FFIX. FFX, and FFXI at the same in the past :(

.JayZii

Banned
the reason they did so is somewhat related to Versus, and S-E incompetence as a whole.

Had S-E didn't suck and developed the development engine they had originally envisioned, they might have released an original FF last gen that wasn't a sequel.
I feel like SE is in a better placement development wise than they were 9 years ago.

b..bu.but they announced FFIX. FFX, and FFXI at the same in the past :(
9 years on, and we've just about gotten all three that were announced at the same time in 2006. Times sure are different.

Lynx_7

I really, really hope they go back to their old model of doing 3 (non-sequelized) main entries in a generation. I'd even take 2, as long as the second one isn't an mmo. I mean, c'mon, XIV still has a big lifespam ahead of it.
So, if XV is the "modern/sci-fi-ish" title of the gen, ideally XVI would take a more oldschool approach of mixing a medieval setting with steampunk elements. A man can dream.

Kalkano

Banned
Oh, God, I hope it's XVI. I hate that XV is an action-RPG, and want to see what XVI will be, so I know if I should still care about the series.

Einhander

I wish Square Enix would quit it with the mainline installment sequels. They should go back to a time when a new mainline Final Fantasy game was a big deal. Sure, it still is, but when they continuously develop mainline sequels and side games, it only dulls out a player's excitement for the Final Fantasy series. It's not a big enough deal anymore, I suppose. Today's Square Enix is going to repeat their formula of creating a sequel or two for Final Fantasy XV, then release Final Fantasy XVI, but I suspect Final Fantasy XVI has been in development for a long time.

Koh

I don't care if FFXV is amazing, I'd want the next game to be unrelated. I imagine for the people who have been working on it for a decade are probably ready to move on. However, for the same reasons, i could see square forcing sequels.

OmegaDL50

That's not what sales or japan says

I really wouldn't say sales are indicative of quality by any stretch.

One doesn't need to look any further than Japanese review portal Mk2 to see what they feel about FFXIII.

http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=519

To borrow a quote from Duckroll

Mk2 is a Japanese review portal which is a series of sites each catering to user reviews for a specific platform. It covers all genres, and user reviews are moderated. It is more meaningful than a regular user review collection because there are specific standards to the review format. Users are required to detail the review substantially with likes/dislikes on the game, critique, list how long they've played the game, and score the game in various categories. For each game, there is also a chart showing how the review scores are distributed across the percentiles, to make up the average actual score.

Yeah, I don't think Japan is all that positive about FFXIII either.

sublimit

Banned
I'm guessing lots of DLC,expansions and at least one sequel.They'll keep using XV's assets for a long time.

I predict XVI will not come before next gen.

I'm talking about the actual remake that is apparently in works as part of a new FFVII compilation consisting of several smaller projects with the remake at the core, according to Verendus. See:

Wow, I missed that one.
Interesting..

I'm guessing lots of DLC,expansions and at least one sequel.They'll keep using XV's assets for a long time.

I predict XVI will not come before next gen.

I agree.
They're actually on track at one mainline Final Fantasy title per generation, since the PS2 era. FFXII for the PS2, FFXIII on PS3 and we're only getting FFXV for the entire PS4 generation. FFXIV is a mmorpg so that is fairly not counted.

sublimit

Banned
Wow, I missed that one.
Interesting..

I agree.
They're actually on track at one mainline Final Fantasy title per generation, since the PS2 era. FFXII for the PS2, FFXIII on PS3 and we're only getting FFXV for the entire PS4 generation. FFXIV is a mmorpg so that is fairly not counted.

2 main FF's for PS2.You forgot FFX. :p

Caffeine

a sequel to XV is gonna happen most likely
so will porting every ff known to man from ps1 to ps4 probably haha.

Top Bottom