• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2013)

I have eight copies of the ONCE AND FUTURE KING.

Eight.

What do I do?

How did you end up with so many? Do you like it that much?

I'm reading World War Z and I think it's terrible. Does the praise come from people who still think that zombies are interesting and not completely overdone?

I felt exactly the same way when I started reading it a few months ago. I put it down and moved to something else. I didn't like the conceit of the overall zombiepocalypse being told by several characters, mostly because the characters all had the same voice.

I'm reading World War Z and I think it's terrible. Does the praise come from people who still think that zombies are interesting and not completely overdone?

There's no variety at all in the voices of the characters, a lot of them are flimsy stereotypes, and it's just so dry, a handful of interesting scenarios aside. I guess the format prevents any tension because it's impossible for the interviewees not to survive, no matter how bleak their situation.

I'm about 80% of the way through now but it's taken me like two weeks because it's such a slog.

I remember liking it when it came our 4 or 5 years ago, but that was before the zombie craze. Doubt I could get through it now.

Cetra

200px-Revelation_Space_cover_(Amazon).jpg

Excellent so far. Really solid science without too much exposition, great characters that don't rely on moral archetypes. Good stuff. I'm really picky about Sci-Fi, normally onlike Arthur C. Clarke's short strories. (The Star is AMAZING.)

Cool, what else have you read by Glenn Cook? I assume The Black Company books? I've read those, but I'm interested in how his other stuff like The Dread Empire is.

I've read the first dread empire omnibus and enjoyed it. I would imagine anyone who enjoyed the black company series will feel likewise.

This sounds interesting. How was it?

It's a decent debut novel. The genre is interesting and the characters are certainly likeable, albeit some are a bit one-dimensional. The story does engage you and the emphasis on gun/gunpowder adds a bit of variety to the traditional fantasy setting.

Mcclellan's prose is readable and I will be reading the sequels.

Being purposely vague, as I hate having spoilers in my very infrequent reviews.

I've always wondered why there isn't more Industrial-based fantasy. It's not that difficult to avoid the infantile elements of the steampunk movement (see: early China Mieville). I still need to get around to Saladin Ahmed and NK Jemisin, too. Nice to see some fresh takes on epic fantasy, however superficial that 'freshness' may be.

It's certainly an under-utilized genre.

bengraven

How did you end up with so many? Do you like it that much?

Only eight?

Get to the bookstore!

The Once and Future King is in my top three fantasy novels of all time. Probably in my top 5 books of all time.

I was in a local thrift store in Gainesville, FL, when I saw that they had TWENTY at least copies of the book in their book section. All good quality (except a number written on the bottoms) and just lying there. Like you might find 30 copies of a dictionary or Bible at the local swap meet and be like "how the fuck did they get so many copies of that".

I was shocked. I also have a really old version of the book (my version is actually titled "CAMELOT" and has a painted picture of Richard Harris and the rest of the Camelot cast on it - it's from the year the musical came out), so I wanted at least one to replace it, but I found myself grabbing two stacks.

I just don't want them to be like "ugh, these aren't selling" and pulp them with the seven copies of "LEARNING JAVA 1.2" or "HOW TO USE ANGEFIRE" books they had.

Because it's seriously one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

So who wants one? For free?

I've always wondered why there isn't more Industrial-based fantasy. It's not that difficult to avoid the infantile elements of the steampunk movement (see: early China Mieville). I still need to get around to Saladin Ahmed and NK Jemisin, too. Nice to see some fresh takes on epic fantasy, however superficial that 'freshness' may be.

I'm actually writing a fantasy novel set in a fictional late 19th century.

I don't understand, like you, why fantasy novelists feel they need to write their alternative worlds before the gun was introduced.

So my book has cameras, sixshooters, barbed wire, telegraphs, castles, dragonish things, mages, and vampireish things. And it's not Earth in the far future or steampunk or alternate history. It's a fucking 100% fantasy novel, set in it's own world with no connections to Earth at all. Just set in an similar timeline that isn't middle ages Europe.

Jintor

You don't do international shipping do you :<

Holy shit Grossman has a new book? I fucking loved Soon I Will Be Invincible.

It's awful. One of a handful of books I truly did not like. Found it really boring and the characters are walking clichés. Ugh.

I felt exactly the same way when I started reading it a few months ago. I put it down and moved to something else. I didn't like the conceit of the overall zombiepocalypse being told by several characters, mostly because the characters all had the same voice.

I remember liking it when it came our 4 or 5 years ago, but that was before the zombie craze. Doubt I could get through it now.

Definitely one of those things I had to read in the moment. Reading it these days I recognise the artifice too clearly. But I did end up reading a lot of Studs Turkel because of it, and I really enjoyed WWZ when I first read it, so I don't count it as a loss really.

The Once and Future King is in my top three fantasy novels of all time. Probably in my top 5 books of all time.

Because it's seriously one of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

Sold! I would like one. Let me see what's on my shelf that I can send you in exchange.

Necrovex

Ok chaps, I am about to be free from school, for like ever. I tend to read a giant novel every year, last year was a Dance with Dragons. Now, I want to read something very meaty, and there is one epic that I am extremely interested in. I know gaffers has spoken about this epic before, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

There are numerous translations out there, so I want to know what is considered the definitive version? I plan to read this book throughout the summer.

.So who wants one? For free?

If you still have copies left, I'll take one. :)

Nezumi

I'm actually writing a fantasy novel set in a fictional late 19th century.

I don't understand, like you, why fantasy novelists feel they need to write their alternative worlds before the gun was introduced.

So my book has cameras, sixshooters, barbed wire, telegraphs, castles, dragonish things, mages, and vampireish things. And it's not Earth in the far future or steampunk or alternate history. It's a fucking 100% fantasy novel, set in it's own world with no connections to Earth at all. Just set in an similar timeline that isn't middle ages Europe.

I would gladly adopt one... but I live in Germany :(

That novel concept sounds really intriguing.

Nymerio

I've read the first dread empire omnibus and enjoyed it. I would imagine anyone who enjoyed the black company series will feel likewise.

Cool, I'll put it on my to-read-list. So far I've liked everything I've read by Cook (Garrett P.I. and Black Company), chances are I'll like this as well.

It's a decent debut novel. The genre is interesting and the characters are certainly likeable, albeit some are a bit one-dimensional. The story does engage you and the emphasis on gun/gunpowder adds a bit of variety to the traditional fantasy setting.

Mcclellan's prose is readable and I will be reading the sequels.

Being purposely vague, as I hate having spoilers in my very infrequent reviews.

It's certainly an under-utilized genre.

Sounds nice, I'll maybe read this once I'm done with Glenn Cook's stuff.

Monocle

bWmjTJ8.jpg

Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi.

I think I bought this on a GAFer's recommendation but I can't be sure. Really engaging so far. You get a clear picture of why a life of crime was so seductive to guys whose alternative was to work a dead end job for a tiny fraction of the pay.

Currently swapping between the aforementioned The Book Thief (getting better with every chapter), Little, Big (what a charming, lovely book - I like the complexity hiding behind the beautiful prose) and an on-off re-read of Fahrenheit 451 (I'm giving it away for World Book Night next week!).

I've got copies of Engine Summer (also by Crowley) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being in the mail, which I will devour ASAP.

I would accept this novel with a happy smile on my happy face.

obin_gam

Should I read Iain Banks' The Culture novels in any specific order or can I just jump into the ones I find have an interesting plot?

Mr.Ock

Just finished books 1&2 of 1Q84. So far it's not that bad as some people told me, apart from the sex scenes... they're so gratuitous, man

bengraven

Sold! I would like one. Let me see what's on my shelf that I can send you in exchange.

If you're willing to ship it all the way to Costa Rica I'd gladly accept your offer.

If you indeed ship internationally, I'm in.

Ok chaps, I am about to be free from school, for like ever. I tend to read a giant novel every year, last year was a Dance with Dragons. Now, I want to read something very meaty, and there is one epic that I am extremely interested in. I know gaffers has spoken about this epic before, The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

There are numerous translations out there, so I want to know what is considered the definitive version? I plan to read this book throughout the summer.

If you still have copies left, I'll take one. :)

I would gladly adopt one... but I live in Germany :(

That novel concept sounds really intriguing.

Me!

Also, I agree. More non-middle ages fantasy plz.

Currently swapping between the aforementioned The Book Thief (getting better with every chapter), Little, Big (what a charming, lovely book - I like the complexity hiding behind the beautiful prose) and an on-off re-read of Fahrenheit 451 (I'm giving it away for World Book Night next week!).

I've got copies of Engine Summer (also by Crowley) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being in the mail, which I will devour ASAP.

I would accept this novel with a happy smile on my happy face.

International guys, let me look up what the cost would be.

Murkans, PM your addresses. If I "sell" out of them I may go back and buy up the rest of them.

I just can't not let the second best/most important fantasy novel of the 20th century get pulped by some old ladies at the thrift store, not when it's not as widely read anymore.

NDVD_710.jpg

Nezumi

International guys, let me look up what the cost would be.

Murkans, PM your addresses. If I "sell" out of them I may go back and buy up the rest of them.

I just can't not let the second best/most important fantasy novel of the 20th century get pulped by some old ladies at the thrift store, not when it's not as widely read anymore.

NDVD_710.jpg

If the shipment to germany is lower than 7 USD (which is around what I would have to pay for the book in the Kindle store) I'm willing to pay you the shipping costs. I think after you "sold" all the book you should start a NeoGAF book club :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is the whole 'A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT' Series great? Amazon has the a box set of the first four books, for $20(paperback).

Hazmat

Is the whole 'A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT' Series great? Amazon has the a box set of the first four books, for $20(paperback).

I picked it up in a similar deal a couple years back, and I really enjoyed it despite not being a big fan of fantasy novels. I was already a fan of the show though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I picked it up in a similar deal a couple years back, and I really enjoyed it despite not being a big fan of fantasy novels. I was already a fan of the show though.

I have seen the first three episodes of the show(and like it), soo I have a passing interest.

Colasante

I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Fuck me, this is a tremendous book. Colonel Aureliano Buendia is one of the best characters I've ever experienced in literature. I loved Love in the Time of Cholera when I read it years ago, so I can't believe it's taken me this long to get it, but it's absolutely worth the time.

Dresden

Going through Lord Vorpatril's Alliance -

• disappointed that it seems to take place before the events in Cryoburn; dealing with the ramifications of that book's end (which is really the only redeemable part out of that disappointment) from Ivan's perspective would have been perfect.
  • also somewhat disappointed that romance--as funny and delightful as this book is--seems to be all Bujold writes anymore. Not expecting the second coming of Miles' final narrative arc, but it's all so flighty.
  • but damn, this is so goddamn charming and funny and I love all the characters so goddamn much. I do a little cheer every time some other old favorite pops in--Miles, Illyan, etc, etc. Bujold has a deft touch for little character interactions and insights and this shows in all the neat, humorous conversations that fill the novel.
  • Baen outdid themselves with the spectacularly awful cover. At least this is restrained to the back.

(back) cover in question:

harOXU9.jpg

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. I'm like 1/3 through and not enjoying it. :/

He's the king of diminishing returns. I've read everything he's done except one book, and each subsequent one gets worse. I wish he'd take some time crafting a story instead of crapping them out, but dude is probably rolling in the dough so whatever.

KidDork

That is the book in the Wheel of Time series that I quit on. Perhaps I will get back itno it one day.

Same here. I've tried to get back into it, but Jordan's prose and clumsy characterization keep throwing me out.

It's a shame because I didn't mind The Eye of The World.

bengraven

5 copies down so far.

If the shipment to germany is lower than 7 USD (which is around what I would have to pay for the book in the Kindle store) I'm willing to pay you the shipping costs. I think after you "sold" all the book you should start a NeoGAF book club :)

PM your address and we'll calculate it.

And yes, I'm totally thinking of doing a "bonus" book club pick for a later date, unless Cyan would just want to make next month's TOaFK. ;)

Edit: according the the USPS's calculator, I couldn't get it down below $8 even while lying to it. :/

He's the king of diminishing returns. I've read everything he's done except one book, and each subsequent one gets worse. I wish he'd take some time crafting a story instead of crapping them out, but dude is probably rolling in the dough so whatever.

Totally agree with this, but I still enjoy almost all his work and Rant is fucking great.

survivor

Banned
About 50 pages into Grapes of Wrath so far. The first couple chapters kinda went over my head and had trouble following it, but it really started to pick up now and I'm enjoying it a lot. I also got reminded that I did start East of Eden like a year ago, but just never had the time to focus on it. I should get back to it after I finish with this.
GLxRd9l.jpg

sharnaak

Just finished books 1&2 of 1Q84. So far it's not that bad as some people told me, apart from the sex scenes... they're so gratuitous, man

How does it compare to Norwegian Wood? I loved that book and was considering picking up something else from him as my next read...

Mr.Ock

How does it compare to Norwegian Wood? I loved that book and was considering picking up something else from him as my next read...

Sorry, this is my first Murakami novel, my next is Norwegian Wood actually lol

I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Fuck me, this is a tremendous book. Colonel Aureliano Buendia is one of the best characters I've ever experienced in literature. I loved Love in the Time of Cholera when I read it years ago, so I can't believe it's taken me this long to get it, but it's absolutely worth the time.

Best book ever written. sogood.gif

I've read and enjoyed both 1Q84 and Norwegian Wood. Over all, 1Q84 drags at a few points, but I thought it was entertaining. I certainly would not have read the 1000+ pages if I was not liking it.

Nymerio

Finished Dread Brass Shadows and went on to Red Iron Nights.

51G7JW9BHKL.jpg

Reading this is like reading a bizarro version of the Dresden Files. There's a lot of parallels that have me thinking Butcher may have gotten some inspiration from this series. I'm really liking it though.

Nezumi

Sounds interesting, but seems like YA fantasy (sometimes still good, sometimes bad). Anyone here read it?

I'm making my way through the Abhorsen trilogy at the moment and really enjoy the books. Though I thought that the pacing was a bit of in Sabriel the book is still good and books 2&3 are even better. I'm a sucker for YA fantasy though.

Top Bottom